It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Destroying the ego

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Bluesma, thank you for taking the time to clarify the situation. You obviously have a history with this poster of which I am quite unaware. You are in a better position to make an assessment on the matter, so I will leave off making further comment on it.

Originally posted by Bluesma

But just as an after thought, part of what would make me reject this perception even IF I was looking to go within, is the contradictory structure in it. The assertion of no ego, while simultaneously asserting "I am more aware (awake, wise, or otherwise superior) than you- you need to be more like me."

I think if we were to judge a teaching or path by those who follow it, I wonder if any teaching would pass the test?

Spiritual pride or ego is always the last one to fall away, because the ego feeds on the death of the other frailties. The attitude that one is more awake than another is very difficult to overcome, and speaking for myself only, it would be the height of hypocracy for me to condemn someone else for it.

edit on 2-5-2013 by mysticnoon because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by mysticnoon

But just as an after thought, part of what would make me reject this perception even IF I was looking to go within, is the contradictory structure in it. The assertion of no ego, while simultaneously asserting "I am more aware (awake, wise, or otherwise superior) than you- you need to be more like me."

I think if we were to judge a teaching or path by those who follow it, I wonder if any teaching would pass the test?

Spiritual pride or ego is always the last one to fall away, because the ego feeds on the death of the other frailties. The attitude that one is more awake than another is very difficult to overcome, and speaking for myself only, it would be the height of hypocracy for me to condemn someone else for it.

For me, the whole value in a teaching is what kind of behaviors, emotions, thoughts, it generates.

If it generates behaviors or ways of being that are not what I would like to experience/be, than that means to me that teaching is not for me.

I do not condemn anyone for hypocrisy, I write often that it one of our most difficult challenges while in physical manifestation, and we all have to face it each day. But because I am interested in creating consistancy and integrity, I do not adopt thought structures that create that body-mind conflict.

edit on 2-5-2013 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Ego a.k.a. when lies start to make sense.

2nd

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

I did say that the term brainwashing should be taken literally meaning that ideas, beliefs and structure need to be washed away. Your thread is promoting doing this but then putting new ideas, and beliefs back in - by a trusted guru or group. You said that one must choose wisely and I pointed out somewhere in the thread, how could someone know how to choose or who to trust. When I say don't get it dirty, I mean as in not filling it up with ideas and beliefs - which cannot be totally trusted.

Can you trust new ideas and beliefs? Beliefs about you or the world?

In this thread I have pointed out that allowing anyone to put any belief system into you is not wise. I have been trying to say that it is better if you find out what you really are, find out what is really going on here and then that's that.

The mind/ego will always hate what I write on here - it undermines it and it will fight for survival - I can't blame it.

Originally posted by Itisnowagain
This thread isn't about destroying the ego - it is about getting a new one. It is just replacing old conditioning with new conditioning. Out of one prison into another.
Good luck with that.

The term 'bainwashing' should be taken literally - the brain needs a good wash - but don't go getting it dirty again.

Whatever I write is never personal, it is an observation of the human condition.
edit on 2-5-2013 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I want to add that beliefs require trust, and one is able to trust something that is not right. One can trust whatever.. So these beliefs aren't therefore the truth. One can be fooled by the nonsense of a wise man.

Yes, a wise man sometimes put to the test, to see if one is listening, or what ones capacity is, how should I tell. Then one becomes confused. A lot of newagers misinterpretated eastern knowledge. They hold beliefs with no background. That is ego, beliefs with no background. Silly things to trust in. Dirtyness.

It messes up ones life and makes one lose reality.

But suddenly you've put your heart into the conversation Bluesma, and when talking about ego, one does not put his heart into the conversation.
edit on 2-5-2013 by Angle because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   
For me, my self will remain open to learning and experimentation throughout my lifetime. So, I welcome others' views on the human condition and the process each of us undertakes in searching and improving the self.

I have, in the past, tried different (other's perspectives) beliefs in my search for my self, which has helped shape my self into what and who I am now. I took what parts of those beliefs that worked for me then, and now, and discarded that which had no bearing in my particular life's experiences.

I am enriched by this experimentation, because it adds to my knowledge base and decision-making as to the next choices in my search.

So, in regards to destroying or washing away an ego or a belief system that does not sustain harmony and balance, that would, in effect, harm one's self by dividing it, I believe it would cause more confusion and backpeddling.

To self-analyze what works and what doesn't work for my self is key for me, because nothing stays the same for long. I will never flip-flop, but rather absorb and adapt whatever feels right or works in harmony with my particular self.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

In that post, did you not write ideas? You wrote ideas, beliefs, a description about your perception of things.

My point, as you show, is that we cannot be "free" of idea, thought, belief if we are in physical manifestation, moving and using linear language. If you really want to remain with nothing in your head at all, then you must remain catatonic, or in a coma.

So since the brain will continue to make connections and generate thought no matter what you wish would happen, might as well choose purposely which ones you will expose yourself to.

Every time you wrote to me "You think... You don't know... I know... I don't.... I do.... " you are expressing thought and belief!

This state of nothingness IS..... and yet if you want to talk, you will have ideas and thoughts.

Keep telling yourself that you have no thoughts or beliefs or ideas. That is one of them though.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Angle

But suddenly you've put your heart into the conversation Bluesma, and when talking about ego, one does not put his heart into the conversation.

I don't know where that rule came from, I do not obey it. I put my heart and head into every conversation I have.
I try to meld both emotion and intellect into a cohesive whole.

I do not subscribe to ideas which separate being into two enemy halves.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 02:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

Thoughts arise but I do not have to believe them. I check to see if they are true. I am here watching all that arises and this here and now is true - I can rely on that. Thoughts, ideas and beliefs though - I can doubt.
Thoughts pass through what I am and I am not disturbed by them - I do not have to hold onto any thing.
edit on 3-5-2013 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 02:48 AM
link   

... and that, is a thought. And as long as you refuse to claim it was yours, then you can say, and do, whatever to anyone and never ever have to accept responsibility for it. Isn't that convenient???

That is exactly what religious fanatics do. They just stop taking any responsibility. It is not them speaking, it is a higher power, it is not them acting, it is a higher power... these arise of their own accord and I have no will to sort them out, so I am not responsible for what I do.

You do and be however you wish. I am glad it you are happy with it. I simply do not feel it is for me.
I do not want to do the types of behaviors you have been doing.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 02:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

You do and be however you wish. I am glad it you are happy with it. I simply do not feel it is for me.

Ditto.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Ditto.

But wait.... I thought you don't have preferences in anything? You don't get to choose, and preferences of any kind are that ugly ego stuff you are free of????

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 02:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

I do not get to choose my preferences. But preference happens.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 03:53 AM
link   

In this thread I have pointed out that allowing anyone to put any belief system into you is not wise. I have been trying to say that it is better if you find out what you really are, find out what is really going on here and then that's that.

This is where I find Robert Anton Wilson particularly insightful, I dislike some of his work, but in this respect, in the being your own barometer, or measuring device, he has it sewn up.

I've enjoyed your posts in this thread and found them highly succinct, and insightful.

Thanks.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by KilgoreTrout

Thank you very much.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   

reply to post by Bluesma

•We listen to others to discover what we ourselves believe. - George P Grant

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by InTheLight

reply to post by Bluesma

The quote you have quoted in my opinion says: Second hand knowledge is 'believed'.

On the other hand - 'truth' does not have to be believed - but it cannot be told.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by InTheLight

yes, and when we discover,.. we're most of the time dissapointed by it.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by InTheLight

reply to post by Bluesma

The quote you have quoted in my opinion says: Second hand knowledge is 'believed'.

On the other hand - 'truth' does not have to be believed - but it cannot be told.

A prime example of how individual perceptions are at play.

I read that quote to mean, that someone else's beliefs/truth does not have to be believed or followed.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Angle
reply to post by InTheLight

yes, and when we discover,.. we're most of the time dissapointed by it.

Yes, because that would be someone else's path, and perhaps it would not jive quite with ours, then again, maybe it would.

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join