It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Things Mrs Margaret Thatcher didn't do

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by PrinceDreamer

No hard feelings lol

If you'd been through what i'd been through since yesterday you'd get it let me tell yah!!

So you can start giving me whateva you've got now, right GO

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by alldaylong

Ahhhhh that explains a lot then i give you a star for showing me something new

Thank you

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by PrinceDreamer

Omg Prince i'm Dyslexic to i write everything out first and my daughter bought me this disk for Dyslexic folk that goes through your words and know's what you mean lol not like spell check as it hasn't a glue what i'm trying to write. Well as i was saying i write it out first and it checks my words there's a bit for grammer to but it take's me long enough getting it posted before everyone falls asleep lol.

Well done to you though, my daughter has it to but i think she's just to lazy to write proper!

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   

So then every one pays the same amount of council tax and receives the

same services......no one has any privileges
...and the 'rich' pay more in

income tax according to their earnings (providing all loop holes get closed)

As for houses (homes) you purchase what you can afford so why should you go on

paying more over and over again?? (after all the council tax is for local services

I don't envy anyone with a bigger house than me, they have earned their money

and the up keep will cost them more

The raising of the level before income tax is paid ... has made a difference to me
so

i'm guessing there will be others like me

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by eletheia

So then every one pays the same amount of council tax and receives the

same services......no one has any privileges
...and the 'rich' pay more in

income tax according to their earnings (providing all loop holes get closed)

As for houses (homes) you purchase what you can afford so why should you go on

paying more over and over again?? (after all the council tax is for local services

I don't envy anyone with a bigger house than me, they have earned their money

and the up keep will cost them more

The raising of the level before income tax is paid ... has made a difference to me
so

i'm guessing there will be others like me

So lets see what we have here.

People paid a proportion of the Community Charge even if they where unemployed. Yep i am sure that was fair.

The People took to the streets in protest, costing millions on policing the disorder.

The tax was "So fair and popular" it was axed after 2 years

People failed to register to vote so they avoided paying the tax

It was the final nail in the coffin that made The Tories get rid of Thatcher. Yes that was the only thing that was fair about it.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by eletheia

Is Maggie's funeral over yet or is she still a lady in waiting?

I used to have a big house until i got divorced and let me tell you it was a nightmare to clean don't forget you have more windows to clean, that's one of my dislikes about Maggie because if i hadn't bought my dad's house and sold it for a bob or two i wouldn't have got the bigger house and my ex wouldn't have got half the money when we sold it and i put the most money into buying the bigger house grrrrrrr, if you no what i mean?

Please tell me you no what i mean tut wonder if i have ADHD mmmmmmmmm and no smart ass comments about that please i live a terrible life now as i can't get rid of daughter number 2 who likes Maggie by the way, would anyone like her fb account name just U2U me

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   

# The unemployed do not pay council tax. See a previous post of mine regarding

benefits and council tax.

# Some people will take to the streets on any pretext that's the nature of that

particular beast
the cost of which comes out of 'others pockets' so they don't care

# Which taxes were axed after 2 years?

# The Tories got rid of Mrs Thatcher ... well there's a 'back stabber' around every corner

Blair - Brown anyone??

You can please some of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time

but you can never please all of the people all of the time

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   

# The unemployed do not pay council tax. See a previous post of mine regarding

benefits and council tax.

# Some people will take to the streets on any pretext that's the nature of that

particular beast
the cost of which comes out of 'others pockets' so they don't care

# Which taxes were axed after 2 years?

# The Tories got rid of Mrs Thatcher ... well there's a 'back stabber' around every corner

Blair - Brown anyone??

You can please some of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time

but you can never please all of the people all of the time

You are ill informed. The unemployed paid 20% of the poll tax charge.

en.wikipedia.org...

Do your research before you post garbage.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ballymoney50

Doesn't matter ... bigger or smaller he was going to get half anyway !! Not much different

than what happened to me

The funeral is on Wednesday...

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   

My daughter is currently unemployed. So I do know

Anything else???

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   

My daughter is currently unemployed. So I do know

Anything else???

So your daughter is still paying The Poll Tax? She must be the only one who is

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Quote from YOUR post

"The unemployed paid 20% of the poll tax" ???? Am I misunderstanding that

"Do your research before you post garbage"???? How much MORE can you research

than from someone who IS unemployed?????

Don't bother replying I tend to ignore 'trolls'

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Quote from YOUR post

"The unemployed paid 20% of the poll tax" ???? Am I misunderstanding that

"Do your research before you post garbage"???? How much MORE can you research

than from someone who IS unemployed?????

Don't bother replying I tend to ignore 'trolls'

The only thing your misunderstanding is when you said the unemployed didn't pay the poll tax when in fact they did.

Are you misunderstanding? Only you knows how your mind works You tell me if you are misunderstanding it or not. For me it couldn't be any clearer.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Sometimes you just can't get through to people your wasting your fingers

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Flip i'm glad i don't have to pay pole tax or my head would be fried right now tut

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   

You mention that before the community charge people in social housing didn't pay toward local council service's.....they did...a portion of the weekly rent included an amount toward's those service's.But the funny thing is once people were charged separately for them the weekly rent didn't go down to reflect this.

Another point....you say that the unemployed don't currently pay any council tax. Maybe you aren't aware but from this month the government as abolished national council tax and it is now been replaced with a local council tax benefit scheme. Each local council as now set it's own criteria as to who get's financial support and how much. Council's are now charging the unemployed and those on mean's tested benefit's such as JSA and Income support upto 25% of the full council tax bill.

Kinda like a poll tax on the poor........

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Logos23

Weekly council house rents may have at one time included a sum for the 'rateable

value' payments ...however the rents for social housing at that time were very low, so the

'rateable value' part would have been very nominal. As I said in a previous post when the

council tax payments came into being there was very little difference between the two

amounts for me. I know from the way my pension is set out that what you have stated could

well be the case, because it was lumped together (it was just the one bill/payment) Someone

paying a mortgage had two separate bills to two different places *mortgage repayment

and * rates.

I can only know what is currently in place, my daughter who is currently unemployed

does not pay council tax and she has not as yet received note of any thing

otherwise, could even be means tested
I don't know?? I seem to remember reading

some where that it is up to each individual council to make their own rules??

That particular tax has always been known as council tax in my part of the country.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I found this interesting it is from one of my papers written by Allister Heath (editor of City AM]

Todays opinion polls on Thatcher are spectacular, YouGov finds that she is deemed the

greatest post 1945 Prime Minister ((Tony Blair eat your heart out ))
and that 52%

of the public believe that she was a great or good PM.

Many hated her - often with an intensity that defies rational analysis but many loved her.

It has also become fashionable to blame one of her greatest triumphs - the sale of council

houses to tenants for todays housing crisis, and long waiting lists.

Britain's social housing sector was almost soviet size before Thatcher's 'right to buy' scheme

was introduced. Today even after the sell offs it is a little known fact that it remains much

larger
than most other countries, more than *Denmark *Sweden * France * Finland *Italy

*Ireland *Belgium * Slovenia and *Germany.

Pinning the demise of the coal industry on Thatcher is nonsense! The industry had been in

crisis for decades, crippled by *excessive costs and *overseas competition.

Far more Miners lost their jobs in the 1960's than in the 1980's. No government could

afford to keep propping up unviable mines indefinitely. The demise of coal mining industry

has been a tragedy for many communities ... But more mines were closed during

Harrold Wilsons two terms in office than Margaret Thatchers three terms

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Council rent's have always been cheaper than other rents so I think it's hard to assess how "nominal" the figure was included in the rent that paid toward's council service's....the point being that those in social housing did infact pay toward's council service's prior to the community charge/poll tax.

The new system Is still called council tax now...but the government as slashed funding for council tax benefit by 10%-15% for each local council and given the responsibility to each council as to how they make up that 10%-15% slash in council tax benefit's. Three quarters of local council's have decided to pass on this slash in government funding by charging those on income support, JSA etc variable amount's of council tax where before they paid nothing.

It's a bit like a postcode lottery though because out of those three quarters of council's now charging those on mean's tested benefit's the amount they are charging is variable.....some council's are charging 8% whilst at the higher end some are charging more than I first stated I have infact found a local council who is charging .the unemployed 30% of the full council tax bill.....this as to be payed regardless of ability to pay and resident's on benefit's in each local authority will have to pay a blanket amount set out by their own local council....so it's kind of like a postcode lottery.

Maybe your daughter is one of those lucky enough to be in the 25% of council's not passing on the slash in government funding to it's resident's.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Well i never!! I didn't think i'd ever see that in writing i hate to say this but where we not saying this somewhere between yes you are and no your not in the thread?

Well any hoo good find ele

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join