It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Travyon Martin Parents Settle Wrongful Death Claim for Over One Million Dollars

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by IvanAstikov
reply to post by kimish

Here's one.

www.youtube.com...

They come across as admirably controlled and dignified from where I'm sat.

I didn't have time to peruse the video, so... Did they laugh all the way to the bank?

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by IvanAstikov

I didn't say that they deserved it, i stated that people like that.... you took what i said out of context.
Nonetheless, thanks for the link.

RE: the fathers comments; For the record, broken noses don't always bleed. And if they do it is possible for them to stop bleeding before being fixed.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   

You're the one looking silly. Using the same arguments that trolls of the past have used on this thread.

17 year old black men get shot and killed everyday by other black men, this does not make national news, sometimes it won't even make the local news. That is the real tragedy in this case.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrod

You're the one looking silly. Using the same arguments that trolls of the past have used on this thread.

17 year old black men get shot and killed everyday by other black men, this does not make national news, sometimes it won't even make the local news. That is the real tragedy in this case.

17 year old black men don't get shot and killed by other black men everyday in circumstances like those in this case. I challenge you to find even one comparable example where a person with injuries as insignificant as Z's was released from custody before the id of the dead person was known.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrod

17 year old black men don't get shot and killed by other black men everyday in circumstances like those in this case.

We simply don't know, because interracial killings are a minority of cases and hence are more prominently reported, as compare to intra-racial killings. "Run of the mill" killings of whites by whites and blacks by blacks do go unnoticed. As to your "challenge"...

I challenge you to find even one comparable example where a person with injuries as insignificant as Z's was released from custody before the id of the dead person was known.

... there are more striking examples, such as the case of the Japanese Student killing where the shooter was released immediately, without any injuries sustained during a perceived trespass/burglary, which was a tragic misunderstanding. Look ma, no injuries. The student who got killed was 16.

If the questioned person is not perceived as a flight risk, I assume it's normal to let them go.

edit on 9-4-2013 by buddhasystem because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-4-2013 by buddhasystem because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I hope you don't mind if I interject here on this case.

reply to post by buddhasystem

Originally posted by buddhasystem
... there are more striking examples, such as the case of the Japanese Student killing where the shooter was released immediately, without any injuries sustained during a perceived trespass/burglary, which was a tragic misunderstanding. Look ma, no injuries. The student who got killed was 16.

Firstly, there's no evidence suggesting that Yoshihiro Hattori's body was still unidentified when they released Mr Piears that night without charge. Why? Because I'm yet to see an article making this silly claim and there's the obvious fact that Webb Hayward, his homestay brother, was with Yoshihiro that night and rushed to him when he was shot. So no he wasn't unidentified after those shots were fired.

Secondly, in case anybody starts comparing this case to Trayvons, Yoshihiro Hattori was on private property, he was perceived as trespassing my the owners of that property. This is in contrast to Trayvon Martin who was not trespassing on private property. Let's also consider that Trayvon's fathers partner lived their as well, something we are continuously reminded of from Zim supporters.

Thirdly, let's also note that while police initially declined to charge mr Peairs because this was his private property, and released him that night after questioning, this did not go unnoticed and he was not released indefinitely. There were many people who were outraged, the governor of Louisiana protested as did the Japanese consul that Mr Peairs was not charged and this incident forwarded to the courts.

You want to know the real gem here about the Yoshihiro Hattori case? A court find the Peairs liable to Hattori's parents for $650,000 in damages (this was the second case filed for a wrongful deathsuit, after Mr Piears was found innocent in a previous case). So Yoshihiro Hattori's death did not go unnoticed, it was not dismissed, his killer was not 'released' indefinitely after that incident

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Fortunately for me, I don't live on your block,
actually, it's fortunate for me but whatever.
there is plenty of the 'tough guy' syndrome here, see below

Unlike Trayvon, I know how to do some effective ground and pound, and Z would never have got his hands on his gun, unless he had it out before I attacked him.
yeah, yeah tough guy, hope you never have to test those skills, for real.

your imaginary 'stalking' scenario is just that, imaginary.
this is Fl and that's how WE roll, so deal with it.

i've not seen or read DDs version of events
(to my recollection, it wasn't made public)
and i don't belive the full story has been released to the public, so how you can claim to 'believe' anything is a stretch.

besides, what does that have to do with the 'settlement' or the TOPIC anyway ?
oh yeah ... tough guy talk ... carry on.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 10:48 PM
link   

noticed and agreed.

here's a question that has troubled me since day 1.
it was reported that TM was unfamiliar with the area (dad's girlfriend and all), if that's true, how did he choose to travel a 'path' known/frequented by local criminals ??

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 10:58 PM
link   

so do tell, why was an unidentifiable teenager out strolling the streets unsupervised ?
why is any teen on the streets without some form of ID ?
and lastly, exactly when and by whom was TM identified ??

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Unlike Trayvon, I know how to do some effective ground and pound, and Z would never have got his hands on his gun, unless he had it out before I attacked him.

I see. You probably have considerable combat skills, that far surpass you capability to make an intelligent argument. Do you realize what you just said here? You basically confirmed the scenario where the thug TM assaulted Z, and the only thing you lament is that TM didn't have the chops to beat out the living hell out of Z. As you would have done easily.

Congrats.

Good riddance then. Can't wait till the next round.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Honor93

noticed and agreed.

it was reported that TM was unfamiliar with the area (dad's girlfriend and all), if that's true, how did he choose to travel a 'path' known/frequented by local criminals ??

Sorry, but I don't give a flying toss about that. He chose to use violence against the hapless (and not the brightest, but suitably armed) Z, and the rest is karma.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 12:13 AM
link   

agreed ... however, that question has bothered me since the beginning.
unknown territory + pathways frequently traveled by criminals, never quite added up for me.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 12:28 AM
link   

do tell, what right do you think the HOA has to prevent their residents from strolling the streets ?? even lawfully armed ?

Well maybe you should of been on the HOA's legal counsel - perhaps you could of saved them over one million dollars.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

The pathway is a shortcut through peoples yards if I remember correctly.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by verylowfrequency

thanks but i'm confident that their counsel was sufficient.
it sure would be nice if ppl actually read the sources provided.

source
the monies being paid hereunder is consideration for avoiding litigation, the uncertainties stemming from litigation
this is PC speak/media spin for ... we refuse to display our cards on the table for all to see. (litigation)
and ... since we might lose, we better take what we can while we can get it (litigation)
sad, but true.

IF the plaintiffs could have proven that TM was purely a victim, there would have been no settlement ... or one that didn't involve so many direct losses as exclusions.
also ...

same source
Trayvon's parents, Sybrina Fulton and Tracy Martin, and his estate agreed to set aside their wrongful-death claim and claims for pain and suffering, loss of earnings and expenses.
the sources indicate that the policy max limit of the insurer initially claimed against was 1 million. (even though that particular insurer isn't a party to this settlement)

it is kinda tough to get more than the max unless there are multiple payors.
[which is possible but 'confidential']

what ppl are missing are the 'excluded' claims of pain & suffering (usually the heavier payout), work loss, and expenses ... that's alot of reductive exclusions.

leave it to Faux to mislead and exaggerate ... but isn't that what they do best ??
edit on 10-4-2013 by Honor93 because: add txt-format

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by kimish
reply to post by Honor93

The pathway is a shortcut through peoples yards if I remember correctly.
i believe i read that eventually, point is, i don't travel unknown pathways (frequented by criminals) in strange territory, alone, at night, do you ?
not saying it isn't possible but you sure wouldn't find me doing it willingly.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 03:56 AM
link   

noticed and agreed.

The short cut was also used by residents and rather than being a "path for the use of criminals", was actually an obvious route to take for anyone heading to an address on the estate from the direction TM was returning from.

so do tell, why was an unidentifiable teenager out strolling the streets unsupervised ?
and lastly, exactly when and by whom was TM identified ??

1. Why would he need supervision? He was 17, not 7.
2. I thought he lived in the USA, not Russia? Besides, he had a phone on him and the polce have equipment to access them even without the owner's consent.
3. I don't know exactly, but I do know it wasn't before Serino's first little chat with Z, after which he was allowed to leave.

I see. You probably have considerable combat skills, that far surpass you capability to make an intelligent argument.

Nope, no considerable combat skills, alas, but I'm as game as they come and I've always let my opponents know they've been in a fight. Something your man Z can't do unless he uses a gun, even against an opponent he outweighs by 30-40lb.

Do you realize what you just said here? You basically confirmed the scenario where the thug TM assaulted Z, and the only thing you lament is that TM didn't have the chops to beat out the living hell out of Z. As you would have done easily.

No, all I said was, had I been the one doing what Z describes TM as doing on the night, he wouldn't have been drawing his gun, and if he'd made as little effort to fight back as he claims, his face would have been a bloody pulp. You seem to want to believe that TM broke Z's nose with a sucker punch and then could do no more than add a couple of scratches to the back of Z's noggin, despite Z alleging he sustained a 40 second long beating.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 04:41 AM
link   

we talk to each other, first.
TM should have tried it.

You seem awfully certain that he didn't.

How about we ask him? Oh no, hang on, he's dead.

Still, you can probably rely on the evidence of the guy who shot him, right? I mean, it's not like he has any reason to lie.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 04:45 AM
link   

That's the point I was trying to make on the previous page, unfortunately I baited a troll.

How on Earth can an association, a perfectly civic organization living by simple rules and bylaws, impose a curfew on one or many of the residents? I mean, seriously? It's simply idiotic to suggest that they can.

It's simply idiotic to suggest that this is what was at issue. Obviously there is a wide range of actions the HOA could take between trying to confine Zimmerman to his home and completely condoning his actions. That you refuse to acknowledge that they might be at fault - indeed even could be at fault - is rather undermined by their willingness to pay enormous sums of money to avoid an examination of their actions.
edit on 10-4-2013 by JuniorDisco because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 04:52 AM
link   

So the HOA can't curfew Zimmerman but TM should have been? Holy double standards Batman.

I don't know about the US, but there's no compulsion to carry ID in the UK. Perhaps black teenagers should have to, is that what you're saying? Or are you suggesting that it's in some way TM's fault that the police released his killer without even knowing who he was?

Wow.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join