It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Travyon Martin Parents Settle Wrongful Death Claim for Over One Million Dollars

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by JuniorDisco
...but that he was allowed to walk away with barely a question asked.

Then we should expect a civil and possibly a criminal case (depending on the outcome of the criminal case already in motion) from the Martin family if that is the case. The Martin family should surely be asking why the State initially took the stand they did by not at least pursuing that avenue. Though, they will have a large task ahead of them since Zimmerman was questioned for a good amount of time before he was let go.

It wasn't as if the police showed up, saw the scene and just let Zimmerman go home.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by ownbestenemy
A potential settlement doesn't prove guilt; rather it proves the HOA doesn't want to bother with litigation and is offering a buyout. They are not inherently bad, for either party and proves nothing.

There ya' go. Exactly what I was saying. 'Deep pockets' get hit with lawsuits all the time that they just pay off rather than go to court with. It's usually cheaper and they can get rid of the 'complaint' quicker. Payoff in this case means nothing as far as if Zimmerman is guilty or innocent. It just means that the Home Owners Association gave Martins parents a boatload of money and now they'll leave the Home Owners Association alone ...

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 05:32 AM
link   
The settlement was made because clearly the HA condoned both current and prior actions of Zimmerman by allowing him to continue his operations. It would likely have led to an even larger settlement, but this way the HA maintains some control of the information.

Originally posted by Golf66

Thus reinforcing my theory that some people should not be allowed to breed...

Yeah, perhaps if your folks wouldn't of hooked up in the barn we'd be spared.

edit on 4/9/13 by verylowfrequency because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

A potential settlement doesn't prove guilt; rather it proves the HOA doesn't want to bother with litigation and is offering a buyout. They are not inherently bad, for either party and proves nothing.

There ya' go. Exactly what I was saying. 'Deep pockets' get hit with lawsuits all the time that they just pay off rather than go to court with. It's usually cheaper and they can get rid of the 'complaint' quicker. Payoff in this case means nothing as far as if Zimmerman is guilty or innocent. It just means that the Home Owners Association gave Martins parents a boatload of money and now they'll leave the Home Owners Association alone ...

And why not? They've got bigger fish to fry and the needless death of their son to motivate them.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by JuniorDisco
...but that he was allowed to walk away with barely a question asked.

Then we should expect a civil and possibly a criminal case (depending on the outcome of the criminal case already in motion) from the Martin family if that is the case. The Martin family should surely be asking why the State initially took the stand they did by not at least pursuing that avenue. Though, they will have a large task ahead of them since Zimmerman was questioned for a good amount of time before he was let go.

Have you watched/heard those interviews? They'll be using them in education classes in the future as examples of how not to conduct an interview. Serino's first "interview" was less than 5 minutes long and most of that was spent explaining how George would be required to do a walk-through the following day - after he'd had a bit of rest, of course and at a time convenient to him.

It wasn't as if the police showed up, saw the scene and just let Zimmerman go home.

They may as well have done, though. Did they even take camera footage of the actual spot where Z's life and death struggle took place on the ground? How could such a violent struggle not have left clear signs on soft, wet grass? How could Z's clothing have been so free from grass stains, if he'd been struggling on his back to get an aggressive attacker off him?
edit on 9-4-2013 by IvanAstikov because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by verylowfrequency
The settlement was made because clearly the HA condoned both current and prior actions of Zimmerman by allowing him to continue his operations.

The settlement was probably made because the Home Owners Association wanted the allegations to be out of their hair and they wanted to move on. If the Home Owners Association 'condoned both current and prior actions of Zimmerman' then they'd be backing their guy fully and not paying out a dime ... at least until they saw how the trial was going to go.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by IvanAstikov

It just means that the Home Owners Association gave Martins parents a boatload of money and now they'll leave the Home Owners Association alone ...

And why not? They've got bigger fish to fry and the needless death of their son to motivate them.

And why not? Big money is big money .... get it while the gett'n is good. As far as the 'needless death of their son' being the motivation for going after all that money ... maybe. Or maybe the money is the motivation for going after the money. Maybe grief is the motivation. Maybe money is the motivation. We'll probably not know the truth.

As for the death of their son 'being needless' .. I'll let the courts decide that during the trial. They can decide if Zimmerman needed to shoot an (alleged) attacker who was pounding his head into the pavement, or not.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 06:08 AM
link   

The goal should be to deny injustice, not seek justice.

I don't understand the difference.

I have no opinion on the civil portion of the case. That is a private matter between Martin's family and the HOA; not the State v. Zimmerman. A potential settlement doesn't prove guilt; rather it proves the HOA doesn't want to bother with litigation and is offering a buyout. They are not inherently bad, for either party and proves nothing.

I agree, although privately I suspect it's a bit stronger than them just wanting not to "bother" with litigation. I suspect they think they wouldn't win. Unless of course they just like giving away money.

But I certainly agree with what you say about the guilt. In any case, I'm not that interested in the culpability of the HOA. And neither is anyone else really, except those who are pretending its involvement has some bearing on the character of the parents.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Take the following out of your post "...for killing a young man woh was just minding his own business..." and I agree. We don't know that.

Oh, I think we do, unless the suggestion is that Trayvon was actually on the phone discussing burglary tactics with DD, or whoever he was speaking to. That he was on the phone is undeniable. The fact he'd been to the store is undeniable. The fact that he had no items in his possession that could be used to commit a felony and none were found by those tasked with searching the scene, is undeniable.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 06:11 AM
link   

It just means that the Home Owners Association gave Martins parents a boatload of money and now they'll leave the Home Owners Association alone ...

And why not? Big money is big money .... get it while the gett'n is good. As far as the 'needless death of their son' being the motivation for going after all that money ... maybe. Or maybe the money is the motivation for going after the money. Maybe grief is the motivation. Maybe money is the motivation. We'll probably not know the truth.

As for the death of their son 'being needless' .. I'll let the courts decide that during the trial. They can decide if Zimmerman needed to shoot an (alleged) attacker who was pounding his head into the pavement, or not.

He would never have been in the position to be attacked, if he hadn't left the safety of his vehicle to go looking for someone he'd already displayed anxiety about on a call to NEN that would come back to haunt him, so yeah, I'd say it was "needless.".

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Then we should expect a civil and possibly a criminal case (depending on the outcome of the criminal case already in motion) from the Martin family if that is the case.

There will be a civil case I'd have thought. But the Martin family cannot launch a criminal case.

The Martin family should surely be asking why the State initially took the stand they did by not at least pursuing that avenue.

You think they haven't? Or are you saying that the state should not be questioned in this instance because they 'probably have their reasons'?

If the first then you haven't followed very closely. If the latter then I think to put it mildly you're being extremely forgiving of the authorities' behaviour.

Though, they will have a large task ahead of them since Zimmerman was questioned for a good amount of time before he was let go.

Oh right, that's fine then. If I shoot someone later I'll be quite annoyed if I'm not just freed after a bit of a grilling.

Are you really saying that due process was followed here? That the way the police dealt with the matter was satisfactory?

No. As you say they had a bit of a chat with him. And then let him go home.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

The Homeowners Association would have nothing to gain from backing Zimmerman at this point. The facts will come out and their part wont change even if Zimmerman gets off. They believe that they would be found liable in some manner or they wouldn't of settled. Without them, Zimmerman wouldn't be on trial and Martin would not be dead. It could even be argued that they set the stage in which something like this could occur. I think they are getting off easily if it is only a million or two.

The Martin family probably feels it is more money than it actually is or perhaps they want to be around to spend it as it could take many years otherwise.

edit on 4/9/13 by verylowfrequency because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by TinkerHaus

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
I am simply going to say this.... If my son were shot and killed and I believed it to be in bad faith or a bad shoot? I wouldn't settle for a billion. No number would be enough to stop me from having my day in the light of open court. That day would be the last voice my son, in that circumstance, would ever have in this world to have a voice raised for him. It would never come again.

We all have different priorities. ...and there I leave it, without getting into the patently objectionable for my deeper feelings on the story.

This is a settlement for negligence on behalf of the HOA.

In less developed cultures, they call it blood money. Of course, we like to see ourselves as more civilized so we have different names for things.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 06:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by TinkerHaus

reply to post by TinkerHaus

If Zimmerman wasn't part of the neighborhood watch, and not controlled by the neighborhood watch, then how could the parents have sued the neighborhood watch because of Zimmerman?
I'm not following. Zimmerman had a walkie talkie that went to law enforcement, right?

It was pretty clearly explained - there had been complaints against Zimmerman in the past and he was allowed to go vigilante wanna-be batman anyway.

I think you are way over the top with the "batman" thing here.

Add to this that the HOA did not necessarily have the legal tools or other means to prevent Zimmerman from wandering the street there. He was a resident in the community and had the right to take a stroll any time of the day, just as I do where I live. Try to stop me.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 06:23 AM
link   

The settlement was probably made because the Home Owners Association wanted the allegations to be out of their hair and they wanted to move on. If the Home Owners Association 'condoned both current and prior actions of Zimmerman' then they'd be backing their guy fully and not paying out a dime ... at least until they saw how the trial was going to go.

There is another explanation which I fond a lot more persuasive than "they just want to give away a lot of money". And that is that they think he's guilty and want to get out of the way as quickly as possible.

Still, you stick to your assumptions about them enjoying writing enormous cheques.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

I think you are way over the top with the "batman" thing here.

Add to this that the HOA did not necessarily have the legal tools or other means to prevent Zimmerman from wandering the street there. He was a resident in the community and had the right to take a stroll any time of the day, just as I do where I live. Try to stop me.

And yet they obviously feel they can't win a case over their negligence. So either you're better informed than they are based on your reading of the events, and they've just needlessly handed over a serious amount of money, or they know more than you do.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

I can get why some people are defending Z's "innocent until proven guilty" status re the illegal killing of TM, but what I don't get is how anyone can defend his behaviour up to the moment he ended contact with the NEN, and try and claim they were the actions of a reasonable man?

By Z's own admission, in all his previous encounters, the bad guys had always got away because they ran and used their local knowledge of all the estate getaway routes, of which there were many.

On the fateful night, Z sees a guy using a commonly known short cut and because of his suspicious mind/good will to all neighbours, he slows down and eyeballs him. Had TM had a guilty conscience or been up to no good, AND had any familiarity with the estate's layout, that would have been about the time to get off-road and lose Z's attention. But he didn't, and all reasonable people know why, ie, he was doing no wrong and felt no need to act furtively.

Z claims he wanted to keep an eye on this suspicious character, but tells us that he drove right past him and parked around the corner at the clubhouse while he contacted the NEN service, but how sensible was that when he had no clue that TM was going to continue in his direction, at that point? The fact that TM didn't take any evasive tactics and walked right by his car again would have been a clear clue in a reasonable person's mind that this wasn't one of the typical suspicious characyters Z had met briefly in the past. That this totally escaped Z and he still went on and trailed TM in his car, without making any attempt to let TM know his intentions is further evidence that he wasn't really up to this neighbourhood detective lark.

Almost everything he did that night prior to killing TM could be put in a Neighbourhood Watch "What NOT To Do!" manual, and yet some people are trying to make out his actions were what any reasonable, civic-minded citizen would have done faced with the same circumstances.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   

reply to post by buddhasystem

I can get why some people are defending Z's "innocent until proven guilty" status re the illegal killing of TM, but what I don't get is how anyone can defend his behaviour up to the moment he ended contact with the NEN, and try and claim they were the actions of a reasonable man?

...and what I personally don't get is why you lack basic reading skills. I didn't even defend Z. All I did was saying that as a resident of a community, he had the right to take a stroll at night, for any reason, same as I do where I live. It's the US of A, you know. Of course this didn't stop you from trolling.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Almost everything he did that night prior to killing TM could be put in a Neighbourhood Watch "What NOT To Do!" manual

OK, it probably wasn't in the manual, and I'm not defending Z's mistakes. But it was ultimately Trevor Martin, who had a penchant for using violence, who triggered this situation, unless it was fake blood in Z's cranium. Sometimes karma gets you, you know...
edit on 9-4-2013 by buddhasystem because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by IvanAstikov

I have access to the same information any other interested person has access to.
i seriously doubt that unless you're a resident here

so, in your infinite wisdom, what facts do think you have that haven't made their way to the central media groups or the public in general ??

do you know the amount actually agreed upon ? doubt it.
do you realize that the phone conversation (girlfriend on phone) was misrepresented to authorities ?
are you aware that the girlfriend subsequently lied to avoid participating further ?
are you aware that SYG isn't the defense being presented in this case ?

and do you realize that if the 'self-defense' argument prevails then the HOA wouldn't be held to any liability, financial or otherwise, however, they may have chose to settle merely to avoid the bad press and pending threats of violence between now and then ?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join