It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rumbling/Roaring Noise Explained?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Have you ever heard this rumbling/roaring sound that feels like it comes from the sky (kind of like three large jumbo jets flying side by side, jets roaring in unison)? (This thread *may* be talking about those sounds - Rumbling noise being heard around the world)

I heard it again this morning! It was much louder and much more sustained - my accommodation is full of double-glazed windows, so it was clearly exceptionally loud. (I'm up North in the UK).

Now, I thought that enough is enough, as it was past 9am in the morning. So I thought that I'd either complain to my local council and bring a complaint....against the UK government, or research what it is. Well, I resolved to do both. First I telephone the police (on their non-emergency hotline) - they didn't have a clue. Then I telephoned my local council - they too didn't have a clue!

So, I went online and this is what I found:

Mysterious Sounds Around The World

We have analyzed records of these sounds and found that most of their spectrum lies within the infrasound range, i.e. is not audible to humans. What people hear is only a small fraction of the actual power of these sounds. They are low-frequency acoustic emissions in the range between 20 and 100 Hz modulated by ultra-low infrasonic waves from 0.1 to 15 Hz. In geophysics, they are called acoustic-gravity waves; they are formed in the upper atmosphere, at the atmosphere-ionosphere boundary in particular. There can be quite a lot of causes why those waves are generated: earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, hurricanes, storms, tsunamis, etc. However, the scale of the observed humming sound in terms of both the area covered and its power far exceeds those that can be generated by the above-mentioned phenomena.
In that case, what could be causing this humming in the sky?

In our opinion, the source of such powerful and immense manifestation of acoustic-gravity waves must be very large-scale energy processes. These processes include powerful solar flares and huge energy flows generated by them, rushing towards Earth's surface and destabilizing the magnetosphere, ionosphere and upper atmosphere. Thus, the effects of powerful solar flares: the impact of shock waves in the solar wind, streams of corpuscles and bursts of electromagnetic radiation are the main causes of generation of acoustic-gravitation waves following increased solar activity.

Given the surge in solar activity as manifested itself in the higher number and energy of solar flares since mid-2011, we can assume that there is a high probability of impact of the substantial increase in solar activity on the generation of the unusual humming coming from the sky.

It should be pointed out that solar activity began to rise sharply since early 2011, with its amplitude significantly higher than all forecasts given by a number of influential scientific institutions in 2010 and 2011. Meanwhile, the observed increase in solar activity is fully consistent with the forecast of the International Committee GEOCHANGE published in the Committee's Report in June 2010. If this growth rate of solar activity continues, its amplitude by the end of 2012 will be higher than the amplitude of 23rd solar cycle, and in 2013-2014 the solar activity will reach its peak the amplitude of which was predicted by us to be 1.5 - 1.7 times higher than the amplitude of the 23rd cycle.

But you said that the cause of the "sky hum" can lie within Earth's core as well, what does it mean?

It then goes on - you can view the whole story in the link above.

Now, the next few quotes come from a fairly mainstream news website and although it's the Daily Mail, they do talk to actual experts:

What's causing the mysterious sounds coming from the sky that are so loud they set off car alarms?

Mysterious sounds have been heard booming from the sky all around the world – in some cases they were so loud they set off car alarms.

The unsettling noises were heard recently from Europe to Canada, sounding like groans and powerful horns.

In Germany noises coming from the sky were recorded on a video camera and uploaded to YouTube, with car alarms clearly heard going off in the background.

The internet has been buzzing with theories about what the sounds could be, with suggestions such as Jesus returning and the world ending put forward.

But experts have said that there are rational explanations.

University of Saskatchewan physics professor Jean-Pierre St. Maurice told CTV that it’s electromagnetic noise emitted from auroras and radiation belts.

Geoscientist David Deming from the University of Oklahoma, meanwhile, has previously written about a phenomenon called The Hum – ‘a mysterious and untraceable sound that is heard in certain locations around the world by two to ten per cent of the population’.

Writing in the Journal of Scientific Exploration, he said that sources of The Hum could include telephone transmissions and ‘aircraft operated by the U.S Navy for the purpose of submarine communications’.

According to Nasa, the Earth has ‘natural radio emissions’.

The Agency said: ‘If humans had radio antennas instead of ears, we would hear a remarkable symphony of strange noises coming from our own planet. Scientists call them "tweeks," "whistlers" and "sferics."

'They sound like background music from a flamboyant science fiction film, but this is not science fiction. Earth's natural radio emissions are real and, although we're mostly unaware of them, they are around us all the time.’

For instance lightning can produce eerie-sounding radio emissions, Nasa added.

This is entirely fantastic! I also began to hear it in late 2011 - I remember distinctly because I began university in that year. Prior to that time, I had never heard such sounds ever before. It was only in early 2012 that I began to pay real attention to these sounds. And guess what - not only does the first link state that they began to be noticeable in late 2011, but the thread that I first linked also states similar things beginning in 2011.

But I'm surprised that we have not been taught these things or made well aware of them. If I were to ask a young teenager what those sounds were, he'd probably shrug his shoulders and go back to what he's doing (maybe first looking interested and then losing interest). Other people I've talked say "Yeahh, I hear it" in an interested sort of way, but then they go back to what they're doing. Surely, we should be more interested in this - and surely there should be some sort of announcement?

However, they did begin only about a couple of years ago - now I'm not saying that there's something sinister about them or that they're the handiwork of governments or that they're natural phenomena that preclude the demise of the Earth; but you would at least expect governments to officially inform the population and for schools to educate people?

What do you guys think?

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 05:18 AM
link   
I just woke up, so correct me if I'm wrong, but in a nutshell they're saying it's electromagnetic/geologic interference translating to human ears as noise, right? That makes much more sense than some pseudoscience doomsday BS. We're still babies in earth sciences, and we, compared to other animals on the planet, don't hear very well, our range is pretty limited. I wonder what effect the interference noise has on the light spectrum we also can't see, if any effect?

I've also wondered if there's a type of Coriolis effect that applies to the phenomenon. I mean, there's got to be a better reason why it's so prevalent in some latitudes more than others. If this is geophysical in origin, then surely there much be a rotational effect aspect that keeps it from being nearly so well heard elsewhere.

If course, seeing these plotted out in the US on the charting map, I'm wondering if it's that big ol' hunk of the subducted plate under the US making noise way down there while it melts away, too. How far down would it be under the mid-eastern US, anyway? I've seen the models that say it's still a big chunk, and wonder if it is would that play a major role in noise. Like Taos, Taos is a thinner area of crust, and therefore, if the noise is from the melting, twisting, off-gassing, etc from a degrading old plate, then of course it makes sense that the noise would translate better through a thinner area of the crust like in Taos.

I haven't yet had coffee. I hope that all made sense. *yawns and stumbles blearily towards kitchen*
edit on 4/2/2013 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 05:32 AM
link   
reply to post by HomoSapiensSapiens

Well I think your assessment is very good!

I've heard it on maybe 3 or 4 occasions, mainly in 2011 and it was a time of well known solar activity!

I'm also Northern England, close to Leconfield Air Base, Whom I suspected of the cause of the phenomena

I now see it with a different perspective thanks to you!

I shall have a look around to see if I can strengthen your case!

Thanks for an informed update!
edit on 2-4-2013 by zerozero00 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nyiah
I just woke up, so correct me if I'm wrong, but in a nutshell they're saying it's electromagnetic/geologic interference translating to human ears as noise, right? That makes much more sense than some pseudoscience doomsday BS. We're still babies in earth sciences, and we, compared to other animals on the planet, don't hear very well, our range is pretty limited. I wonder what effect the interference noise has on the light spectrum we also can't see, if any effect?

I've also wondered if there's a type of Coriolis effect that applies to the phenomenon. I mean, there's got to be a better reason why it's so prevalent in some latitudes more than others. If this is geophysical in origin, then surely there much be a rotational effect aspect that keeps it from being nearly so well heard elsewhere.

If course, seeing these plotted out in the US on the charting map, I'm wondering if it's that big ol' hunk of the subducted plate under the US making noise way down there while it melts away, too. How far down would it be under the mid-eastern US, anyway? I've seen the models that say it's still a big chunk, and wonder if it is would that play a major role in noise. Like Taos, Taos is a thinner area of crust, and therefore, if the noise is from the melting, twisting, off-gassing, etc from a degrading old plate, then of course it makes sense that the noise would translate better through a thinner area of the crust like in Taos.

I haven't yet had coffee. I hope that all made sense. *yawns and stumbles blearily towards kitchen*
edit on 4/2/2013 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

Precisely, yes. The main cause being solar flares and whatnot coming into contact with the Earth's several -spheres (e.g. ionosphere etc). But other causes could indeed also be from within Earth (e.g. beneath), as a few experts pointed out.

The thing is, sometimes when I hear it, it sounds like it goes back and forth and goes away from me and then comes back - but with the above explanation, the "sounds" aren't actually "going away", they're just fluctuating in frequency and whatnot. Meaning, when it sounds like it's "going away" (like a jet moving away from you), the frequency is actually going higher than I can hear as a human being.

Finally, sure it's better than some of the pseudoscience doomsday BS, but these sounds have been particularly audible (if entirely audible) since 2011 and not before and as an expert said, they're in conjunction with increased solar activity. Now, is this something to be worried about? The more frequent the "sounds" are heard, the more Earth's ionosphere and other -spheres are weakened? Then again, maybe it's nothing to worry about - maybe these "sounds" have been existent for millenia and humans only hear it sometimes when it reaches audible (for humans) frequency.

The funny thing is, several animals and insects probably hear it on a daily basis

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 07:54 AM
link   

I finally heard it on the weekend just passed. It started out very loud, so I quickly grabbed my Iphone, it went away, and then slowly came back as I was recording. It is faint, but near the end it starts to get louder. I only recorded a little of it because I don't know how much you can upload as I am not computer smart.

As a side note. Anyone know how to upload from an Iphone (without a youtube account) so I can post it on here? Please U2U me. Thanks!

Edit: I live in Saskatchewan and I recorded it in Edenwold.
edit on 2-4-2013 by superman2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by zerozero00

I also have an army base near (not an airfield, but still) and I thought it was them, until I telephoned the police (haha) and the base itself (not that they'll tell me anyway). But I've since dispelled the notion that it could be the army because the first few times I heard it in 2011, I was in near London - so, this is consistent with the explanations supplied above by the experts.

But I'm disappointed that really mainstream media and the public press has not touched more upon this. This drives me to write letters/emails to local councils in order to get it all the way up to Westminster and even the Chief Scientific Adviser and "POST" (but the general public doesn't really seem to care (or maybe they think it's jumbo jet engines). I might just have to feign worry and pretend that "my old grandmother" is worried about these rumblings in order to get it fast-tracked and given sufficient attention!

Personally, I really think that we as a human race should look more into such natural phenomena (hopefully it is such).

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

Nice! Yes, when it gets lower, it doesn't actually mean that the "sound" is going away, it just means that the frequency is increasing beyond the audible threshold for humans. Animals may still be able to hear it even when you can't yourself!

It's fascinating and I believe that it should be given more attention in the mainstream!

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 07:59 AM
link   

I wonder if the recordings can be analyzed to see if this is true...unless already mentioned above.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 08:04 AM
link   
The hum is real, it is just that only some people can hear it. If the brain cannot filter it out, then it remains audible. If you are one of those who hear this hum I have a possible solution. Get a paper grocery bag and put it over your head at all times. Soon you will not hear the sounds anymore because your focus will be on wondering what others think of you.

On the serious side, the amounts of these unnatural sounds in the environment has increased so much over the years that it is surprising that more people can't hear them. Remember that frequencies can cause corresponding induced frequencies of a different type which can possibly go within the audible range. We are creating our own problems within this society, hearing these sounds does not make a person defective, actually the ones who can't hear them are the ones that are defective because these sounds can still affect our judgement.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 08:04 AM
link   
I've been hearing these strange noises for a lot longer than a few years, I'd say at least since 10 to 15 years ago as far as I can remember, when I still lived with my parents. Never knew what caused the noise but it was fairly loud and sounded like thunder, but it was a constant noise that lasted for several minutes, in fact for over half an hour without ever changing intensity. It's interesting to note that it happened more often in the morning, right after sunrise, and I'm located in the southern hemisphere (São Paulo, Brazil). Thought it'd be interesting to add that since most of the occurrences I read about are in the northern hemisphere.
edit on 2/4/2013 by Deny777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Your OP is Very Good but I would like to add a video for better understanding..

Here is that video..

The Video explains how to predict quakes based on gravity from other planets and the suns activity.. There is a pattern every year in March and April especially..

OK.. Now, my experience.

My First Post About Strange Sounds Almost exactly 1 year ago in MARCH

Here is a thumbnail of the graphic I copied from a youtube video later and added my notations to show the time when I heard the strange sky sounds. I saw this video after I posted my experience on ats, said video is in the last link of this post:

Earths Magnetic Field was all wonky when I heard the Strange sky sounds.. The 3Min News guy explains this with some video he did about the magnetic field getting all weird. There was some hour long video where he compared the Earth's magnetic field lines and related it to increased fireballs (meteorites) and Earthquakes..

I'm looking for this video it was posted on ATS recently.

It sucks because they took down the site that had the good real time earth magnetic field lines.. This was some time after they took down the apparent solar wind reversal shown by the field lines graphic. Some thread has that video..

Solar Wind Reversal! Something coming from the back side of Earth?? Why was this covered-up?,
edit on 4/2/2013 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Well, I've yet to hear a unique and distinct 'recording' of these noises, myself, which range from ominous trumpeting sounds similar to the aliens in War of the Worlds (cruise), OR that sounds like wind dragging through high tension power lines, OR that sounds like machinery or a very rusty boat easing along a metal pier.

As a whole range of alleged sounds are said to be the one thing according to the various people who've heard something 'first hand' I have my doubts that there is a phenomenon to start with other than a viral youtube hoax gone bad.

Anyway, all of the reasoning behind the noises last year have all come to pass fruitlessly. Round 2? ding ding!

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend

As a whole range of alleged sounds are said to be the one thing according to the various people who've heard something 'first hand' I have my doubts that there is a phenomenon to start with other than a viral youtube hoax gone bad.

Ignorant statement when you have people on here who have heard these noises with their own ears!...Not YouTube vids! or are they liars?

I heard a noise which lasted between 30 to 40 mins that sounded like(similar) large air craft that just never past over or never changed direction for over half an hour!!....I noticed it after a few mins and went to the front and then the back of my house looking for where this constant noise was coming from, obviously I never found out!

I call that a phenomenon and not a hoax

Also as a side note , My partner was with me and she heard it too

edit on 2-4-2013 by zerozero00 because: cant spell

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   

I agree with you on this!

I think its something that needs to be studied in-depth and the information passed on so we can understand what the hell is going on

I only see two reasons why we know nothing about what is happening

1) They know nothing about it

2) They have something to hide so are suppressing the truth

I actually favor Number 1

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

Errr...I've heard it on many occasions with my own ears. I didn't even need to go to Youtube - I had first-hand experiences. This is real phenomena - did you not read the OP? There's nothing sinister (at least I hope not) or pseudoscientific about this. It's real.

Maybe your audible threshold is greatly reduced? One of the links did say that only some humans can hear it.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Give me your email address or cell # and I will text it to you, or someone can tell me how to upload video from my iphone.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 06:37 AM
link   
I heard it again this morning - much louder too. The thing is, my windows are double-glazed and I can barely hear anything that goes on outside. But this roaring sound (like a really loud jumbo jet) came right through the windows - I couldn't go back to sleep thereafter; I was just energized by the noise.

Did anyone else hear this? (Right now, I'm in the North of England - so did anyone else in this region hear anything?)

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   

I believed the noise was fake.. Until I heard it.. You think I would lie about this??

March 13, 2012 about 2:30AM

A few nights ago I heard the sounds in North Carolina in the mountains. I at first thought is was thunder. We don't really ever get thunder much up here. But it kept sounding like a jet, which we also don't get many jet sounds either, the only aircraft fly way over, and you can't even hear em usually.

The sound came in and went out like you described I would hear it for maybe 3 minutes at a time.(30 minutes total I would say) I started imagining it was a drone circling the house haha. I was half asleep watching some youtube video at 2am or so.
but the sound stayed and kept almost going into that weird metal sound that I thought was faked. Kind of a sound you would hear in a movie when something HUGE was happening...

I didn't post this before now because I actually had the idea to record the sound, but I have no sound recording devices and no cell phone either actually. I didn't want to sound like a liar.

I can't begin to guess what this sound was or is. It sounded umm supernatural. Like a sound you would hear while meditating... Or crossing through dimensions... or something weird like that...

Originally posted by Dustytoad

Originally posted by andboycott
reply to post by Dustytoad

interesting. im still listening but, let's be extra vigilant tomorrow night. maybe we'll have a scoop

thats what it sounds like too..not jets or machinery totally but vibrations, inner sounds
edit on 16-3-2012 by andboycott because: (no reason given)

I completely agree with this characterization of the sound, and I wish I had said it myself.
I felt like I was slightly vibrating or going slightly trance-y as I listened to it.

Listen to this video here and think about the timing I gave you guys. March 13th 2012 2:30AM

edit on 4/22/2013 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Dustytoad

I also thought the noise was fake, or at least either the overactive imagination of others (as I never heard it) or just people outright faking it. Until I heard it. It sounded distant to me with almost a metallic sound...almost like the sounds they have in the movies when a submarine is under water and there is too much pressure as they are so far down. I managed to record the tail end of it, but I don't know how to upload to YT or to directly upload from an Iphone 4s.
Take care.

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 07:28 AM
link   
a reply to: superman2012
Hi my name is cyndi. about 7:25 a weird rumbling noise happened. It lasted 7 whole min. It stayed at only one pitch. What was it , my daddy sayed that it was in the air, not on the grond. i am confused
plleas.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join