It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colorado prosecutors seek death penalty for accused cinema gunman

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by theruthlessone
reply to post by olaru12

Like what kind of conspiracy is going on here im from the U.K so im unaware of any evidence..?

www.huffingtonpost.co.uk...

I don't know why there is a rush to judgement but "they" apparently want to get this event behind them.
I smell an agenda and it stinks.

www.naturalnews.com...
edit on 1-4-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   
The guy deserves the death penalty the shame is when he is found guilty of the crime he committed he will be shown more mercy, and compassion than he showed his victims.

edit on 1-4-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   
With any luck someone will put a dry sponge under his electric skull cap. Ooopsy!

Insanity plea won't cut it when they begin to dissect his life and academic background plus the extensive prep and planning that went into this senseless killing spree. Being a sociopathic odd ball is not a defense.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Unfortunately, I don't think you are a victim (or, fortunately might be amore fitting word). Thus, I am unsure that the satisfaction of "justice" would be yours to have.

And "justice" is not really what the death penalty is. The death penalty is far too barbaric to rise to the virtuously lofty levels that justice occupies.

Cameron Todd Willingham. That name was enough to turn me from a death penalty supporter into a staunch opponent.

Well, having debated the death penalty with ya on other threads, I recall you're 110% against the Death Penalty in any form, for any reason. Given that, your argument makes sense to your perspective.

In general terms, no citizen needs to be the direct gunshot victim or even family member of a major crime or murder spree to be an interested party to justice. It may be fair to say I am not a resident of the State of Colorado, but that's a technical point.

Prosecutors do their job on behalf of 'The People of The State Of....." or on behalf of "The People of The United States of America" vs. (insert defendant name here)

Therefore, I have every right ....with that technical issue of state notwithstanding, to have a very strong interest in seeing justice served and served as directly as possible, within our system.

....in terms of justification? If a wild shooting and murder spree inside a crowded theater isn't a qualifier to death? Well, it does take someone 100% against it as a whole concept to come to that conclusion, IMO. I'm against it's application in too many cases today and standards of evidence used in Capital Cases. I'm completely FOR the penalty itself, in concept.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by olaru12

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

In his case, I hope it's particularly long and hard for the children that died by his hand and his weapons.

Interesting that you have already tried and convicted him in your mind. Do you have evidence that we don't know about because this whole case stinks of cover up and rush to judgement of a scapegoat. Way to many disconnects that need to be honestly answered imo.

edit on 1-4-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

I'm not serving on the jury and I've taken no oath to remain impartial. I don't pretend to be impartial, any more than people on any number of threads try to be for a variety of other subjects around here. It's odd that this one time, and in this example, it's suddenly a point of "Innocent until proven guilty" to voicing our own personal opinions and statements of the case.

The killer was found in the parking lot dressed up in all his combat gear and didn't seem to be a part of a group. HIS apartment, and no others, were converted to a giant bomb, rigged to blow when the door was opened ....and blaring music set to start just before he opened fire at the theater. A diversion.

Based on these things and more...much more, to be honest? I do feel he did it. Good thing I'm not on the Jury, eh?

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheNewRevolution
It always baffles me the so called "civility" of the modern world and the call of capital punishment. Murder begets murder. Thus a murderers murderer should be murdered as well under such logic and the chain should continue.

But in some sick sense of the mind, some people find some murder "justified" as if taking a life can be justified when humans done even understand what a life is, how it has come to us, the purpose of it, or whether or not it is singular.

Murder is murder. Killing someone who is unable to defend themselves is murder. Whether someone declares it to be a justifiable punishment or it was an act of cruelty or injustice, it is still murder.

And person with a mind knows that slavery for life's duration is worse than death.

I agree with you for the most part, and I can say that I hope the state murders him.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by TheNewRevolution

Killing someone who is unable to defend themselves is murder.

That would include all the precious innocent animals that are murdered also.

I am thinking the whole idea of capitol punishment is from the old testament.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Let him live. Are ye not merciful and forgiving Christians. Some of ye are just bloody savages.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
make him remember every day who he killed and what impact he did

Yeah but that's the thing, people like him don't care. They have on conscience, so they won't really be living with guilt every day. As a matter of fact, most psychopaths would consider them fond memories.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

In the case of animals hunted for sport, in a sense, yes, I would consider that murder. Pointless killing in the least.

In the name of consumption and actually not wasting an animal - that is simply survival.

Killing this man isn't going to help anyone else survive. What is done has already been done.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 02:22 AM
link   
And then he will sit there on death row for 15 years?

Such a joke.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 04:29 AM
link   
I personally believe that death is too good for him..

That's all I have to say about that.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 04:53 AM
link   
2 pages into the thread and we already have salivating over the possibility of someone getting executed. Why am I not surprised? Some people just like to watch other people die, they even hope it's painfully, in order to get some sort of sick satisfaction from it.

You people make me vomit in my mouth.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 04:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

I agree, the sad thing is If they sold tickets they would sell out

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

He seemed, to me, fairly profoundly mentally ill. I am unsurprised that with how that fact is ignored in this case, we keep having these shootings. Mental illness is not given any real prioritization in our culture. To the point that we seem to have a bloodlust take its place. We ignore the prfound nature of the mental illness so that we instead can seek vengeance for their actions. Actions borne out of a diseased mind.

Until we are willing to address our nations obvious mental health failures, these shootings will keep happening. And we will keep seeing people calling for and finding joy in their executions.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

It constantly amazes me how ignorant some people can truly be. Their thirst for bloodlust overrides any logical thought process that otherwise might lead them to conclude that James Holmes, along with most of the other recent shooters, are clearly suffering from some form of serious mental affliction.

You are absolutely correct in your assessment that mental illness does not get anywhere near the attention it needs within the medical, political and law-enforcement establishments. It is sickening beyond belief.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Based on what little I know about his life, he seemed to be functioning quite normally for an odd and awkward person up until a couple of months prior to his murder spree. The question remains, What happened that caused him to slip so far so fast? He had a bright future at the University, he was granted a $20k stipend etc etc and he let it all go when he began to flake out. Was he abusing certain chemicals, was he making his own, was he off his meds? Given his background and area of expertise I would not be surprised one bit if he did not fall victim to one of the above.

Just a hunch... It will be one hell of a case to prove that he is criminally insane. Being odd and awkward does not make someone criminally insane or even "mentally ill" as you describe it.

Yes, we do have a problem with how we handle our nations mentally ill people. You can thank the massive deinstitutionalization effort that began in the late 70's for that. How many of those people that were released have just ended up on the streets and unable to care for themselves? Then we have a HIPPA problem that protects the records of those who are diagnosed and choose not to reveal their illness where required by law. Etc Etc etc.
edit on 2-4-2013 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
While you are talking about the Bible and Capitol Punishment. I think back then the execution would have been being Stoned to death.

And, let the Innocent and NON-Sinner Cast the First Stone.

The guy does have to right to a Fair AND SPEEDY trial.
However, this is something that could take literlly Years.

As for an Insanity plea. AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN.

As for the conviction. If in fact they do convict and he is sentenced to death, it could still take a decade or more because of his right to an appeal.

You see that. . ? . .. He has MORE RIGHTS than his victims.

That is just how OUR country roles.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

I worked on an acute care unit (admissions unit) for 5 years. I have seen so many men in their early 20's that just snapped one day out of nowhere. Schizophrenia causes such things. And during a "psychotic break", the decompensation of the mental faculties can be rather profound.

Had I not have the experiences I have had in my life, I may be somewhat disbelieving. It is a shame that more people do not get exposed to this facet of human illness. Understanding goes a long way towards reconciling, no matter what you are doing.

ETA: when you talk about deinstitutionalization....it is a natural flow as better medications are sought. And there is little doubt that psychotropics are far, far better than they were in the 70's. The horrible side effects of drugs like Thorazine, Haldol, etc....they will hopefully end up a thing of the past (look up "Tardive Dyskenesia" to understand what I am talking about) as we see newer and more effective medications come to market.

Problem is, the effectiveness of the meds leads to a false security, whereby we have reallocated bed space from patients to forensics. In Texas up to 60% of beds have been reallocated from community related in patient care to "forensic" care. The outcries we used to make about all the mentally ill in prisons....this is the response. Instead of adding to the burden of mental health care by including the prison population, we have replaced community based systems with prison based systems. The local hospital is a great example. Of the 800 some odd patient beds (that used to ALL be community related), 750 are now dedicated to forensic patients.

The system is scrwed all right. But when you say "they", remember that the "they" is you and I.
edit on 2-4-2013 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   
An odd question occurs to me. With all the talk about background checks to keep guns out of the hands of the mentally ill, would that mean that someone who is judged too insane to buy a gun would be too insane to execute?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join