It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colorado prosecutors seek death penalty for accused cinema gunman

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Colorado prosecutors seek death penalty for accused cinema gunman

www.reuters.com

Prosecutors will seek the death penalty against accused theater gunman James Holmes in the slaying of 12 moviegoers during a showing of the Batman film "The Dark Knight Rises" last year, the district attorney said in court on Monday.

Holmes, 25, is accused of opening fire inside a suburban Denver theater during a midnight screening of the movie last July in what was one of the deadliest outbursts of gun violence in U.S. history.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
[url=http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-colorado-theater-massacre-holmes-death-penalty-20130401,0,5251048.story]www.latimes.com[/ url]

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Well, it appears that Mr. Holmes' attempt to plea bargain himself into a lifetime of living off the taxpayers has been rejected. Which means we'll get a trial and have a peek at the evidence in the case, at least as much as they need to present to prove this bit of evil to be guilty.

Expect an insanity defense, and then we're down to what constitutes insanity, though his level of preparation and planning definitely goes against him. That speaks to sociopathy, not psychosis.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Good. Very Good. If they open that execution to public lottery on witness seats, I will absolutely throw my name in for a spot. There have been a tiny handful over the years I would WANT to be witness to the execution of ...and there are usually seats on something like this (or once were anyway). He ranks near the top. McVeigh beat him out but I was a bit too busy proving I wasn't a part of that one...(with about 10,000 other people yanked in for questioning on it) to even joke about it then.

This one? I hope they have terrible technical difficulties and baffling malfunctions during the administration of the cocktail. The harder the better. The longer the better...and may he be awake and aware for every second of it.

I think it's fitting. The genius outsmarted himself. He got SO good with what he set up for insanity if he did somehow survive it? ....it backfired all over him.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Ewwww I could never watch another human being die, no matter what circumstances would you actually get enjoyment out of watching that........?

each to there own i guess

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Surely it would be better for all involved to give him life in prison and then to lock him away never to hear from him again.

If he gets found guilty and receives a death sentence this will drag on for years and years, not good for anyone surely.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by bates

Why give him life in prison?
Then the US taxpayers are having to feed and water him.
I say give him a fair trial, and if/ when found guilty, put a bullet in his head.

edit on 1/4/2013 by andypb because: add

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by andypb

don't you mean if he's found guilty?
edit on 1-4-2013 by bates because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by bates

Of course, my apologies,
I shall edit my post.

edit on 1/4/2013 by andypb because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   
This guy was just another MK-Ultra mind-controlled patsy, programmed to detonate by the covert operators. All to create anti-gun hysteria to destroy our civil liberties and get us defenseless before the New World Order.

And since he was mind-controlled, I do not consider him to be culpable of committing any crime. Therefore he is essentially not guilty, and executing him would be murdering an innocent man.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   

What happened at that shooting was incredibly traumatizing and horrific. The people still alive who were affected,, especially the kids will be forever scared. Justice needs to be served, but let's not forget where we are and remember all the threads created about the many things that didn't add up etc about this incident and how it was reported on. I won't get into it all as I'm sure you are already aware, but let's just hope the right person is being put to death over it.
edit on 1-4-2013 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

First and foremost, I do not agree with capital punishment.

That being said, for a guy who has attempted suicide while in prison, and who appears to want to die, why give him what he wants? Then again, if he wants to plea in order to not get the death penalty, well...I guess he just wants it his way.

Keep his ass to rot in prison for the rest of this life.

Of course, Camus had a good point that the anticipation of being put to death is likely far worse than death itself.

And one does, I suppose, adapt to confinement.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by theruthlessone

Ewwww I could never watch another human being die, no matter what circumstances would you actually get enjoyment out of watching that........?

each to there own i guess

Enjoyment would never be the word I would use. No...no one should ever enjoy the death of another human being. Even a despicable creature like Hitler or other historical nasties. Even at that level? Not enjoyment.

Satisfaction and a sense of justice being delivered. That would be the term and satisfaction, the best word. I'd leave the witness area conflicted ..because I truly don't see anything attractive about death. However, sometimes, it's what simply must happen to remove a threat from society so great as to have no chance of ever rejoining it.

In his case, I hope it's particularly long and hard for the children that died by his hand and his weapons.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Unfortunately, I don't think you are a victim (or, fortunately might be amore fitting word). Thus, I am unsure that the satisfaction of "justice" would be yours to have.

And "justice" is not really what the death penalty is. The death penalty is far too barbaric to rise to the virtuously lofty levels that justice occupies.

Cameron Todd Willingham. That name was enough to turn me from a death penalty supporter into a staunch opponent.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Ha! Even if he is not given the death penalty I dont think he will be alive in prison for very long if he is put in general population. He will be shanked within a fortnight. And if put in solitary confinement I dont think he will live for many years. Once his name is forgotten and the world moves on with worries over North Korea, the economy and simply getting on with their lives, he will find himself meeting a sticky end. You cant convince me for example that Dr Harold Shipman hung himself for example. He was hung. There is a difference.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I just do not agree with the death penalty...I know you will all attack me for this but I just do not.
If found guilty make his life Hell, make him remember every day who he killed and what impact he did....he will soon just make his own mind up to end his own life.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   
It always baffles me the so called "civility" of the modern world and the call of capital punishment. Murder begets murder. Thus a murderers murderer should be murdered as well under such logic and the chain should continue.

But in some sick sense of the mind, some people find some murder "justified" as if taking a life can be justified when humans done even understand what a life is, how it has come to us, the purpose of it, or whether or not it is singular.

Murder is murder. Killing someone who is unable to defend themselves is murder. Whether someone declares it to be a justifiable punishment or it was an act of cruelty or injustice, it is still murder.

And person with a mind knows that slavery for life's duration is worse than death.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

In his case, I hope it's particularly long and hard for the children that died by his hand and his weapons.

Interesting that you have already tried and convicted him in your mind. Do you have evidence that we don't know about because this whole case stinks of cover up and rush to judgement of a scapegoat. Way to many disconnects that need to be honestly answered imo.

edit on 1-4-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

Like what kind of conspiracy is going on here im from the U.K so im unaware of any evidence..?

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   
They've gotta' be careful with this one.
I can see his defense team going for an insanity plea .. and getting it.
He might be able to wiggle out of the death penalty ....

(side note - I'm against the death penalty unless it is needed for self protection for law enforcement workers or for the other inmates, etc)

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

What If he is insane? do you kill someone who is ill?
Of course he should pay for his crimes (If found guilty) and never see the light of day but should we put someone to death If they are ill in the head?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join