It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google commits suicide.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by watcher3339

I can only repeat.... Offense. Those seeking it will find it.

As for what the American right practices in this day and age, I don't know what to call it, but it does not qualify as Christianity by any stretch of the imagination. How anyone can read a book that instructs us to "judge not, lest we be judged" and to, when we are stuck upon the cheek, to "offer up the other" does not at all jibe with your protestations of righteous indignation.

People have taken the example of a selfless man who worked ceasinglessly on the Sabbath, associated with prostitutes and lepers, told his disciples to own only a walking stick and a spare pair of sandals, and whose only recorded anger was directly addressed to money and greed - and they've turned him into an excuse to not work on Sundays, to exclude and judge others, and to be greedy and self-absorbed.

What I am saying in a nutshell is this. I think judgement day is going to be a shocker for a LOT of people who think they've got things covered.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Who cares what picture Google posts on their main page? Who said it was a Christian company? Does it effect their effectiveness as a search engine? Being that it is their company and not mine or the OP's, they can do what ever they please regarding it. A small minority might be offended by it, but this will have no effect on Google. I for one, don't care what picture they post on there page. They are free to do as they please, just as the OP is free to choose to not use them again.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Perhaps a little Easter Bunny doodle, or an Easter egg hunt applet would have been a nice touch, just to show that they did not really forget it was Easter, and wanted to stay religiously unbiased..... Whatever. no Biggie... They are responsible for their own content and can do what they want... Did not bother me a bit. They are a search engine, not a bell-weather of public sentiment.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Rude. From now on I am calling it like I see it. You can say that judgment day will be a shocker -- maybe you don't have it as covered as you think. I am tired of people saying that those who believe are dumb. I am tired of of people saying that those who believe are racist -- which makes no sense at all given that there are Christians of every stripe. I am tired of being told I am too smart to believe "all that make believe". If people treated other people, condescended in regard to their beliefs the way they do to Christians there would be outrage all over the place. But if Christians feel that they are treated rudely and say so it's a problem. No more for me.

You think I seek offense? You think wrong. But that doesn't mean that it hasn't found me over the years. I think the people who are used to Christians being either the kind who will just take it or the kind who fail to represent the faith well are over.

You were the one who insinuated that Christians are white, racist, and filled with corporate greed. Rude and wrong.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Actually I am being proven out right in my thoughts on seeking offence. If you'll revisit my earlier post you should clearly see that it was not at all against Christians. It was a direct statement of the right wing hijacking of the Christian identity and message.

As for the rest of your post. Christianity is a religion based upon the life of a man who was wrongfully accused, scourged, and killed. He was mocked, ridiculed, and treated like an animal - something he very clearly warns his followers to be prepared to face as well. In turn he instructs people to rise above it all and treat others as they would want to be treated - not as they have been treated.

Reciprocity, the Golden rule. A key tenet of the entire faith.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaticusMaximus
reply to post by jimmiec

Since youre concerned about google showing its support for religious holy days / events, I assume you are also in favor of them putting up special little banners for, oh I dont know... Muharram? And Safar? And Ramadan? I believe over 1.6 billion people celebrate those times as very special.

Oh wait... those arnt YOUR holy days... so they are a no go I must assume.

Perhaps instead of getting indignant that your religious views are not being catered too by a non-religious entity that has nothing to do with your religion... you could recognize its not really a big deal in any way, shape, or form, and move on with your life and drop the cliche hyperbole and ridiculous thread titles.

Are you really saying Google's action is not a deliberate 'FU" to Christians? You know it is. Why are you pretending it isn't? Not that I care. I know they're a tool of the NWO. I don't expect any better from them.

edit on 3/31/2013 by CaticusMaximus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   

You introduced a fallacy into the conversation. You made it about race and corporate greed. Those who were disappointed or offended today by google by and large have nothing to do with any of that. It is the exact kind of statement that is regularly introduced any time a Christian points out that what has just been said to them is rude.

It is intolerant to be rude to everyone but Christians. The mainstream and my very own societal fringe friends have pulled that on me more times than I can count. If I were patted them on the head like they were silly little children for their beliefs they would default to that argument because that is the tone of society today. If I end the friendship than I would be the one considered to be judging and intolerant of their lifestyle. I, and many other Christians, have been very open minded and yet the hateful and rude commentary toward Christians continues. Hit as many of my cheeks as you like. I will not be trapped into being lukewarm regarding my beliefs. I have every bit as much right to them as everyone else does to theirs. Just because my beliefs happen to be Christian doesn't make it okay to be rude about them.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by redoubt
reply to post by jimmiec

Google commits suicide.

Tens years ago? Maybe but, not today. Faith is happy target of modern culture. Anti-religious militancy is at an all time high and growing.

Personally, I wasn't so much offended by the fact that Google omitted Easter as I was in the way that Chavez was/is presented...

You know, there's a reason faith is in decline. Its just called the information age. People's awareness has switched to seeing information as a tangible thing, and having to evaluate a great deal of it. That gives them new skills, like recognising self propagating memes (e.g. "send this email to 7 people or your will die"/"walk around the block proclaiming Jesus to everybody or you will go to hell") and detecting information meant to manipulate or control, which is now literally everywhere now. The psychological manipulations of politics have been pulling religious strings so long, everybody yawns when they see it. You see Chavez presented as a saint? Did you notice the devil looking like Obama in the Fox produced Bible mini-series?
www.wnd.com...
That's a hell of a lot more in your face than painting a Latino rights activist (who was also a leftist) many think of as the Latino MLK in a saint like light.

Point is, credibility is capital, and that gets lost. Political insiders have burned the churches capital almost down to nothing with cheap short term manipulations, and now we're seeing the consequences.
edit on 31-3-2013 by tridentblue because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   

At first glance this action appears miniscule and unimportant. It is however a piece of a trend toward intolerance for Christianity. America was founded on Christian ideals and principles. We have people posting on this thread that know absolutely nothing about what the founding fathers thought or said or intended in order to see to it that America remained free and true to God. We seperate ourselves from their call to faith in God at our own peril.

George Washington
1st U.S. President
"While we are zealously performing the duties of good citizens and soldiers, we certainly ought not to be inattentive to the higher duties of religion. To the distinguished character of Patriot, it should be our highest glory to add the more distinguished character of Christian."
--The Writings of Washington, pp. 342-343.

John Adams
2nd U.S. President and Signer of the Declaration of Independence
"Suppose a nation in some distant Region should take the Bible for their only law Book, and every member should regulate his conduct by the precepts there exhibited! Every member would be obliged in conscience, to temperance, frugality, and industry; to justice, kindness, and charity towards his fellow men; and to piety, love, and reverence toward Almighty God ... What a Eutopia, what a Paradise would this region be."

"Now I will avow, that I then believe, and now believe, that those general Principles of Christianity, are as eternal and immutable, as the Existence and Attributes of God; and that those Principles of Liberty, are as unalterable as human Nature and our terrestrial, mundane System."
--Adams wrote this on June 28, 1813, excerpt from a letter to Thomas Jefferson.

Benjamin Franklin
Signer of the Declaration of Independence and Unites States Constitution

"Here is my Creed. I believe in one God, the Creator of the Universe. That He governs it by His Providence. That He ought to be worshipped.

"That the most acceptable service we render to him is in doing good to his other children. That the soul of man is immortal, and will be treated with justice in another life respecting its conduct in this. These I take to be the fundamental points in all sound religion, and I regard them as you do in whatever sect I meet with them.

"As to Jesus of Nazareth, my opinion of whom you particularly desire, I think the system of morals and his religion, as he left them to us, is the best the world ever saw,

edit on 31-3-2013 by jimmiec because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   

If you all practiced what you preached people would not give you a hard time...me I give all religion a hard time it is a cancer on the human spirit. Chains around us, Bondage and a lie.
For example morals, I had a conversation with someone who said without Religion you would have no morals and you would kill, rape and torture...I said It tells me more about you that you think that without Religion you would do those things.
Maybe people are sick of the threats of Hell? the preaching? The Iam better than you because I know the truth attitude eh?

Humanity FTW !!! we are capable of infinite thought, we are God...

Read my Sig...

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmiec

Come on you are not a Christian at all...you even said you are agnostic.

Another reason people are turning away from Religion is you all feel persecuted like this OT, it is nonsense they have not had any Easter thing for 13 years but still you get offended by not having Christian Easter thrust upon everyone. You have forced Religion on many people but people are saying "No I can make up my own mind who and what God is" but you do not like that do you? you want more minions to join your brand.
Well I and many say "NO we do not need your version of it we can think for ourselves"
mini rant over carry on.
edit on 31-3-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmiec

"a piece of a trend toward intolerance for Christianity" is exactly how it feels. If you google (despite today's disappointment it is still the best search) the articles about the doodle and read through the comments the vileness of the commentary, the utter slamming of Christians and all they hold dear, is on clear display. If I had posted to friends (?) commentary as belittling of their beliefs - some of the things they posted to me today -- Happy Zombie day being the clearest indication that offense of my most highly held belief means nothing, well I can't even imagine that level of mean spirited rudeness or total insensitivity toward something that mattered to one of them but, if I did somehow say something offensive on equal level -- I can only imagine the outcry. But I, the token Christian, am supposed to smile and nod and take it all in fun. I mean really, it isn't as if any of it actually happened anyway right....the dismissiveness is hurtful. In other ways I truly love some of the people who truly hurt me today but I am giving real reflection to narrowing the scope of my associations.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

So your not sick of Muslims calling for your death because you don't believe in their God? You fear the prospect of walking away or changing the channel on your TV more than the threat of death? Tell me a personal experience of when you were accosted by a Christian? Was it so heart wrenchingly torturous that you have blocked it out now? If you feel so strongly about your pure unrelenting hatred for Christianity you should see a psychiatrist.

When you destroy christianity will you fill the void that you leave? Will you help each community across the nation with food, utilitity bills, rent, medical help for the needy? What is your plan for this unintended consequence?

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaticusMaximus
reply to post by jimmiec

Since youre concerned about google showing its support for religious holy days / events, I assume you are also in favor of them putting up special little banners for, oh I dont know... Muharram? And Safar? And Ramadan? I believe over 1.6 billion people celebrate those times as very special.

Oh wait... those arnt YOUR holy days... so they are a no go I must assume.

Perhaps instead of getting indignant that your religious views are not being catered too by a non-religious entity that has nothing to do with your religion... you could recognize its not really a big deal in any way, shape, or form, and move on with your life and drop the cliche hyperbole and ridiculous thread titles.

edit on 3/31/2013 by CaticusMaximus because: (no reason given)

Thanks for this reply. Saved me some time from stating the same. OP, get over yourself and your religion.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

You don't know what I have practiced, whose hands I have held, or what my life has been like. You don't know if I practice what I preach (and frankly, I have preached very little other than to defend that "yes, I really do believe what you insist on calling fables meant for children"). I cannot imagine that I am the only Christian in that boat.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmiec

Being told I will goto Hell when I am a good person...many times on this site and many times in real life.
Religion does not have a monopoly on being good, It is already there people are waking up and understanding this.
You really think that charity would not exist without religion?
Muslims I have told them they are wrong to their face but at least they accept it and do not throw threats around. (in my personal dealings with people who are Muslim).
I see good in humanity all the time and it has nothing to do with religion It is in us already.
I would have no problem with Religion If you kept your noses out of Government and stopped trying to convert others.

I wrote this thread two years back explains more...

All major religions have to die for mankind to carry on..,

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 31-3-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   
www.letgodbetrue.com...
Easter is a pagan holiday Mr.Christian. Welcome to reality. You follow a "HolyDay" tainted with pagan traditions of ancient times. This is just 1 of the many(if not all) the "Religious Holidays" set up by the ROMAN Catholic Church to mix up pagan traditions with actual religion.
You know to be on this site you know very little of all the lies of the Catholic search, FYI the Christian church has been a copy of the Catholic church ever since the Great Crusades. Maybe you should search up on that matter instead of crying because google didnt post your stupid bunny "goddess" next to the google icon.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   
why are people even using google anyway, there are much better and more secure serch engines out there that dont bomard you with crappy advertising and certainly dont record your serches

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Sorry, how have they done anything wrong? They're not obliged to celebrate religious nonsense, and if they did they would piss off a lot more people than by not celebrating it, what about the people that believe something else? There may be 2 billion of you, but that doesn't make your book any more true or important than any other.

They haven't pissed of 2 billion people, I doubt most Christians would care, and they shouldn't. Anyone that makes a big thing out of this needs to get a grip.

They'll get away with it like nothing ever happened, and quite rightly so.
edit on 31-3-2013 by SpearMint because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join