It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This man can save our planet.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Hello peeps
Just watched an episode of TED: Allan Savory: How to green the world's deserts and reverse climate change.

The video talks about climate change and what desertification is. it then goes on to talk about how rainfall is not enough to stop desertification and the role carbon plays in this cycle..

Many years ago in an attempt to stop further desertification Allan Savory as a biologist in Africa ordered the culling of some forty thousand elephants because it was thought the over grazing caused desertification. He was wrong the elephant cull did not slow the affects of erosion.

This is what motivated him to make one of the most important environmental discoveries this generation. In many areas he increased cattle by 400% and mimicked their natural movement patterns. This helped grassland to breakdown and increased macrobiotics of the soil. The affect is astonishing. Areas of dried out grassland revert back into healthy living ecosystems and once dried river bed flow

It is estimated that if large areas of desert grassland where managed in this way we could lock enough carbon into the ground to bring atmospherical carbon levels back to pre-industrial levels and at the same time increasing biodiversity and creating sustainable life stock to feed people in impoverished areas.

Well worth a watch...

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   
There is already a thread about this here: www.abovetopsecret.com... yes it is very hopeful.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamschist

Thanks for that I have asked for my thread to be closed and yes it is very hopeful.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

More examples of human arrogance... thinking that we actually have the power to change the climate of a planet... for better or for worse.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by OptimusSubprime

We do have the power to change the planet. The above video shows our effect at changing the planet. The way we manage our ecosystem has an effect. Cutting down the rainforests has an effect on our planet. Over fishing the oceans does. I could go on the list is endless I do not understand how you think we have no an effect on the planet.

Could you explain.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Why don't we sort our problems out before anything? How can we think about saving the planet when we are doing a very good job of destroying ourselves?

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   

It's a breath of fresh air, no pun intended to hear a "scientist" prove what a lot of old school farmers and the Amish have been doing for centuries!

I live in Amish country and every spring, take a country drive and the odor is horrendous! Why? because the smart farmers are spreading manure over their fields before they plant their crops.

I can remember as a child my dad driving us somewhere and all of a sudden me and my brother were gagging over the stench, and my dad, (being a farm hand in his youth) took a big whiff and said, "What is wrong with you kids? That smells good!"? Now my brother and I never could understand why our father would think that smell was good!

The reason my father thought that, was, He knew it meant that the crops would grow healthier and that "life" would continue it's cycle! You see, farmers of old were not stupid farmers! They were stewards of the land and they KNEW that by spreading the manure that they shoveled out of the barn stalls would fertilize the crops and help them to produce a healthy crop of whatever it was they were growing!

I appreciate this guys honesty, but at the same time it makes me sad, that unless a scientist says it is so, it must not be so.......

Look at our current state of agriculture! Poisons, poisons, and MORE poisons, Monsanto anyone?

I am now for once, looking forward to Spring, so that I hope on one of my drives I can get a good old whiff of that horrible smelling cow/horse manure that either an old school farmer is spreading in his field or one of our Amish families are spreading! It will not only bring back some great memories, but renew my convictions, that we as a society need to pay MORE attention to the ways they did things in the "good ole days" and show some respect to the farmers whom have been feeding us for centuries, with out using modern scientific methods!

Not a bash on your thread OP by any means, but a look at what this gentleman is saying from the views of a good ole country boy.........

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarknStormy
Why don't we sort our problems out before anything? How can we think about saving the planet when we are doing a very good job of destroying ourselves?

Maybe they are both linked the way we treat each other and the way we treat the planet. I think changing the way we view and manage our planet would change the relationship we have towards ourselves.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

I agree it is like we are having to relearn what we once new. Science has caused the earth no end of problems. Its nice that for a change it has the power to help.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   

SO a man who ordered the mass killing

forty thousand elephants because it was thought

because it was thought

CAN SAVE the planet?

In my opinion NO MAN can save the planet, it is beyond man.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer

We do have the power to change the planet. The above video shows our effect at changing the planet. The way we manage our ecosystem has an effect. Cutting down the rainforests has an effect on our planet. Over fishing the oceans does. I could go on the list is endless I do not understand how you think we have no an effect on the planet.

Could you explain.

Who is Man as you represent him? man does not get along nor agree to things in almost all cases when trying to change anything.

Also all efforts are eventually led astray by the love of money and greed which always will creep in!

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

Man is capable of destroying the planet and man is capable of saving it too. We have a massive affect on ecosystems and this in turn has an effect on us. This is well scientifically documented. If you damage enough cogs a watch stops ticking. Why do you think our home is any different.

Maybe the separation man puts between himself and nature amplifies the problems we are having.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   

That is probably the most profound statement I have heard in a long time, and one that I personally feel to be more true than most people want to admit.

Unfortunately very few are listening....but there are some, and there may be hope yet!

Sometimes it seems to me that we are hellbent on destroying ourselves and the planet.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer

Could you explain.

I said the climate of the planet. Even if we do have an effect on the climate, it is very short lived. Human existence is a microscopic dot on the timeline of the Earth... it has been through far worse before we got here, and it will go through far worse after we are long gone.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Changing ecosystems can have an effect on climate. Cutting down forests interferers with rainfall. Melting glaciers are changing oceanic currents.

Yes the climate has been different many times in the past. The difference is this time we are here and whilst here there is no need to destroy our home and amplify our own demise.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Awesome thread as was the other one, a good message imo is entitled to more than one thread

Funny though how you can't even share solutions that don't involve taxes or dramatically altering our energy consumption without people getting mad.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Thread closed as per request

Please continue the discussion in this thread
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thank you

new topics

top topics

join