It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth's Unsolved X-files 2013 (Part 1)

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I only had time to check out the first two stories, but will come back later. Regarding Mr. Hauser. From what I understand, as I am somewhat familiar with this case, the most logical explanation is that the boy was a fraud. I am sure there are many sources that can be found detailing why this is thought to be the case, but the story really is interesting nonetheless.

Regarding the yeti DNA. Sasquatch really do exist, as I can personally attest to, having had an encounter only a few years ago. This is my main area of research and expertise, and ever since my sighting my interest in the subject has skyrocketed to a whole new level. The Ketchum study, which way too many people who claim to be scientific are dismissing without even knowing what it says, was recently released. This study gives great insight into the DNA of sasquatch, and what that means for us. The data implies that sasquatch actually split from humans roughly 15,000 years ago. I have read the report, and I find it credible. It makes sense, and the DNA was taken from many, many samples, not just one.

Given that the primers and whatnot have already been developed, the DNA from the hair in question could easily be compared with the results of the Ketchum study. Although Yeti and sasquatch are often thought to be different animals, they are not. They are basically the same animal living on different parts of the globe. There are likely to be subtle variations, but they are the same species no doubt. I have a feeling that given the location of where this DNA was tested, the sample very well may find its way into the study of sasquatch DNA being done currently at Oxford University. Hopefully Oxford uncovers the same results that the Ketchum study did, as then people will probably start listening, given the credibility of Oxford.

But there is the possibility that finding a journal to publish in may be difficult. Given the current thinking of most scientists regarding sasquatch, very few of them will risk their reputations by given their stamp of approval to any DNA studies done, simply because of the possibility of things going sour. There is just too much "disbelief" at the current time to allow for such a leap of faith, imo. So anway, Most people do not realize that DNA has been gathered from bigfoot samples in the past. The problem is that it does not prove anything. The DNA more or less cannot identify the species, simply because it has yet to be identified. That sounds stupid, but basically what it means is that we need a body. A type specimen.

All that samples have confirmed up to date is that there is some unknown primate running around somewhere in the world. I say this because there can be no certainty of where a certain sample originated. The person submitting the sample is likely telling the truth, but as far as most scientists would be concerned, it cannot be proven that the sample was gathered at a certain location. Make sense?

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1nquisitive
It has also transpired that the bulk of these 'moon' rocks have 'disappeared'.

"The Bulk"?? has disappeared?

Not true, and your own reference even says that...

out of the 26,000 samples NASA has on loan, it has lost just 517...

Remembering that samples are only going to be small fragments, your own source says that less than 2 percent of the small samples have been mislaid.

Not good, but you dont need to lie about it.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 11:41 PM
link   
the titanic one is pretty far fetched. The olympic and titanic had enough major differences in the super structure that a simple refit and switcheroo wouldn't have fooled any insurance adjuster. Besides the ill fated olympic and the britanic went on to serve for years retrofitted with new bulkheads, double hulls(which the titanic didn't have) and a full compliment of life boats. The suggestion of a swap for insurance purposes looks good at a glance and might even make a good movie, but even a layman investigating the incident would have come across enough details and common sense discoveries to dismiss the idea its been debunked several times from several camps with divergent reasoning to debunk this theory.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 02:12 AM
link   
I watched the movie Picnic at Hanging Rock years ago, it is one fantastic, atmospheric film. I am quite sure at the start it states that it was based on true events.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by 1nquisitive

Hanging rock is a real place.
Saw the movie a long time ago, the story is supposedly a mix of real and unreal stories about the place.
On one of the discovery or history channels, there was a doc about haunted places in the world, and the
rock was one of them, apparently a lot of people have disapeared there. Another was about the haunted forest
in Japan where people go to die, usually by suicide.
Funny how in the modern world there is still areas that defy explanation

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by BASSPLYR
the titanic one is pretty far fetched. The olympic and titanic had enough major differences in the super structure that a simple refit and switcheroo wouldn't have fooled any insurance adjuster. Besides the ill fated olympic and the britanic went on to serve for years retrofitted with new bulkheads, double hulls(which the titanic didn't have) and a full compliment of life boats. The suggestion of a swap for insurance purposes looks good at a glance and might even make a good movie, but even a layman investigating the incident would have come across enough details and common sense discoveries to dismiss the idea its been debunked several times from several camps with divergent reasoning to debunk this theory.

Appreciated, I'll look it up.

But immediatley the cynic in me asks-what if they just made the titanic as a double hulled vessel and then told us "it's not double hulled"?

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by steven2977

Hanging rock is a real place.
Saw the movie a long time ago, the story is supposedly a mix of real and unreal stories about the place.
On one of the discovery or history channels, there was a doc about haunted places in the world, and the
rock was one of them, apparently a lot of people have disapeared there. Another was about the haunted forest
in Japan where people go to die, usually by suicide.
Funny how in the modern world there is still areas that defy explanation

Yeh, thanks for that lead-i'll try and feature the Japanese suicide forest.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 07:57 AM
link   
YES!! Ive been looking out for this type of thread, just had a quick scroll through and it looks like you spent a bit of time putting this together. I enjoyed the ones before this so thanks for taking on the topic, Im about to dig in :]

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Thanks for the thread! I've only read the first article so far... The current DNA evidence from your link suggests that he was indeed the Prince of Baden, dealt badly with, imprisoned and abused, and eventually murdered. There were many suspicious deaths that led to another taking the throne. Ah, the tangled webs...

DNA Evidence

In 1996, DNA analysis of bloodstains found on Hauser's clothes was undertaken at the laboratories of Forensic Science Service in Birmingham, England, and in the LMU Institute of Legal Medicine in University of Munich. The attempt to match Hauser's DNA to living descendents of the Baden family proved beyond reasonable doubt that there was no link between the two. Apparently, Kaspar Hauser was not the Prince of Baden. However, in 2002 it was discovered that the original samples used for the testing had not been from Hauser's clothes at all. New samples were obtained from the boy's hat, trousers and hair curls, in the Feuerbach collection of Hauser artifacts, and this time DNA tests were positive. Results showed a 95% match to the DNA of Astrid von Medinger, a descendant of Stephanie de Beauharnais. In this dramatic reassessment of the case the DNA evidence would seem to show that Kaspar Hauser was indeed a descendant of the House of Baden.

According to Jeffrey Moussaieff Masson (writing in 1996), there have been more than 3000 books and at least 14,000 articles written on the strange case of Kaspar Hauser. Perhaps in the light of this new DNA evidence, we are a step closer to solving the enigma and discovering the real identity of the mysterious Kaspar Hauser.

Another example of how power corrupts? In my own opinion, the royal connection is the most plausible. So who did the dastardly deeds, then? A woman, it seems, who wished her own son to take the throne...

The 'prince theory', in essence, is that the son Stéphanie de Beauharnais, wife of Grand Duke Karl of Baden, gave birth to in 1812 was Hauser, and it is he who would have inherited the throne. She gave birth to another son in 1816, who also died. But she had three daughters that all lived. The countess of Hochberg, second wife of Karl's father, the founder of the dynasty, would have been the one to benefit from these deaths. Karl himself died in 1818, under mysterious circumstances believing he and his sons had been poisoned. Now nothing stood in the way of the son of the Duchess of Hochberg, who was supposed to have smuggled a dying child of a peasant woman into the palace and managed to exchange it with the baby prince - supposedly Kaspar Hauser. The countess wanted her own son, Leopold, to come to the throne, which he did in 1830. Hauser was then given to a Major Hennenhofer, who put the child in the care of an ex soldier. It was said by some that when questioned about this Hennenhofer confessed.

In any case, it is a tragic story of abuse. He is a very Dickensian figure, like Oliver, who never found his real family in the end. And it does seem those that end up on top tend to be the most vicious, given to spidery intrigues and bloody plots. My heart goes out to Karl Hauser! Thank you OP for bringing this mystery to my attention.

peace,
AB

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Do you have any mysteries to cover in the next instalment? (I will be sure to cite all contributions).
edit on 27-2-2013 by 1nquisitive because: edits

Here is a strange story I came across while looking for info on the stories above:

Mysterious Handprint of the Carbon County Jail

Since 1877, a prisoner’s hand has been raised in protest in the last home he ever had—the Carbon County Jail Cell #17 in Jim Thorpe, PA. This handprint on the cell wall has resisted cleaning, repainting, and even re-plastering. A couple of days after every attempt to cover it up, the handprint comes back. And a story of persecution by evil mine owners comes back with it.

During the late 1800’s, coal mine owners were getting rich off of the backs of their Irish and Welsh workforce who were being paid pennies. This situation eventually led to a revolution of sort. The revolutionaries were known as The Molly Maguires. The Molly maguires was a secret society that committed acts of sabotage and (according to the coal barons) murder. Of course, the barons had money, power, and therefore the law on their side, which made it all the easier to dispose of troublemakers. This led to a series of trumped-up trials known as the Molly Maquire Trials.

During one of the Molly Maguire trials, the inhabitant of Cell 17 vehemently proclaimed his innocence, but he was sentenced to death anyway. On hanging day, before he was taken from his cell, he slapped his hand, dirty from the cell floor, on the wall, and exclaimed “This is the hand of an innocent man!”

He died that day but his handprint remained, and came back even after it was scrubbed off. Over the next century, the cell was cleaned, repainted, re-plastered—and always the hand reappeared in a day or so. It’s still there to this day, and on exhibit at the Old Jail Museum, housed in the old Carbon County Jailhouse.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   
loved reading these! thanks for posting!

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

All these years later, there is no evidence that any such incident ever happened.

Re: Hanging Rock... and there IS evidence it did NOT happen, unfortunately... cool story and landmark film, but no there there.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by solongandgoodnight
loved reading these! thanks for posting!

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by jtrenthacker

Do you have any mysteries to cover in the next instalment? (I will be sure to cite all contributions).
edit on 27-2-2013 by 1nquisitive because: edits

Here is a strange story I came across while looking for info on the stories above:

Mysterious Handprint of the Carbon County Jail

Since 1877, a prisoner’s hand has been raised in protest in the last home he ever had—the Carbon County Jail Cell #17 in Jim Thorpe, PA. This handprint on the cell wall has resisted cleaning, repainting, and even re-plastering. A couple of days after every attempt to cover it up, the handprint comes back. And a story of persecution by evil mine owners comes back with it.

During the late 1800’s, coal mine owners were getting rich off of the backs of their Irish and Welsh workforce who were being paid pennies. This situation eventually led to a revolution of sort. The revolutionaries were known as The Molly Maguires. The Molly maguires was a secret society that committed acts of sabotage and (according to the coal barons) murder. Of course, the barons had money, power, and therefore the law on their side, which made it all the easier to dispose of troublemakers. This led to a series of trumped-up trials known as the Molly Maquire Trials.

During one of the Molly Maguire trials, the inhabitant of Cell 17 vehemently proclaimed his innocence, but he was sentenced to death anyway. On hanging day, before he was taken from his cell, he slapped his hand, dirty from the cell floor, on the wall, and exclaimed “This is the hand of an innocent man!”

He died that day but his handprint remained, and came back even after it was scrubbed off. Over the next century, the cell was cleaned, repainted, re-plastered—and always the hand reappeared in a day or so. It’s still there to this day, and on exhibit at the Old Jail Museum, housed in the old Carbon County Jailhouse.

Oooh...this a good one!

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by AboveBoard

Thanks for the thread! I've only read the first article so far... The current DNA evidence from your link suggests that he was indeed the Prince of Baden, dealt badly with, imprisoned and abused, and eventually murdered. There were many suspicious deaths that led to another taking the throne. Ah, the tangled webs...

DNA Evidence

In 1996, DNA analysis of bloodstains found on Hauser's clothes was undertaken at the laboratories of Forensic Science Service in Birmingham, England, and in the LMU Institute of Legal Medicine in University of Munich. The attempt to match Hauser's DNA to living descendents of the Baden family proved beyond reasonable doubt that there was no link between the two. Apparently, Kaspar Hauser was not the Prince of Baden. However, in 2002 it was discovered that the original samples used for the testing had not been from Hauser's clothes at all. New samples were obtained from the boy's hat, trousers and hair curls, in the Feuerbach collection of Hauser artifacts, and this time DNA tests were positive. Results showed a 95% match to the DNA of Astrid von Medinger, a descendant of Stephanie de Beauharnais. In this dramatic reassessment of the case the DNA evidence would seem to show that Kaspar Hauser was indeed a descendant of the House of Baden.

According to Jeffrey Moussaieff Masson (writing in 1996), there have been more than 3000 books and at least 14,000 articles written on the strange case of Kaspar Hauser. Perhaps in the light of this new DNA evidence, we are a step closer to solving the enigma and discovering the real identity of the mysterious Kaspar Hauser.

Another example of how power corrupts? In my own opinion, the royal connection is the most plausible. So who did the dastardly deeds, then? A woman, it seems, who wished her own son to take the throne...

The 'prince theory', in essence, is that the son Stéphanie de Beauharnais, wife of Grand Duke Karl of Baden, gave birth to in 1812 was Hauser, and it is he who would have inherited the throne. She gave birth to another son in 1816, who also died. But she had three daughters that all lived. The countess of Hochberg, second wife of Karl's father, the founder of the dynasty, would have been the one to benefit from these deaths. Karl himself died in 1818, under mysterious circumstances believing he and his sons had been poisoned. Now nothing stood in the way of the son of the Duchess of Hochberg, who was supposed to have smuggled a dying child of a peasant woman into the palace and managed to exchange it with the baby prince - supposedly Kaspar Hauser. The countess wanted her own son, Leopold, to come to the throne, which he did in 1830. Hauser was then given to a Major Hennenhofer, who put the child in the care of an ex soldier. It was said by some that when questioned about this Hennenhofer confessed.

In any case, it is a tragic story of abuse. He is a very Dickensian figure, like Oliver, who never found his real family in the end. And it does seem those that end up on top tend to be the most vicious, given to spidery intrigues and bloody plots. My heart goes out to Karl Hauser! Thank you OP for bringing this mystery to my attention.

peace,
AB

That's some interesting additional info there, cheers!

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   

With such strong evidence, why does the scientific community refuse to even acknowledge the possiblity of a Yeti. It seems ridculous that they won't. As a matter of fact, the scientific community often comes off as some of the most ignorant and stuck in their ways people in society. I think Galaleo would be dissappointed in who we call scientist these days. Scientist used to push the bounds of knowledge, now they only back what is believed to be true. This sounds an awful lot like the church who executed people for saying the earth was not the center of the universe.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indigo1993
YES!! Ive been looking out for this type of thread, just had a quick scroll through and it looks like you spent a bit of time putting this together. I enjoyed the ones before this so thanks for taking on the topic, Im about to dig in :]

Glad you like it!

next part will be posted monday...

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tattiio

With such strong evidence, why does the scientific community refuse to even acknowledge the possiblity of a Yeti. It seems ridculous that they won't. As a matter of fact, the scientific community often comes off as some of the most ignorant and stuck in their ways people in society. I think Galaleo would be dissappointed in who we call scientist these days. Scientist used to push the bounds of knowledge, now they only back what is believed to be true. This sounds an awful lot like the church who executed people for saying the earth was not the center of the universe.

Yes indeed, the scientific method is inherently based upon asking Qns, we should always ask Qns...

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 10:22 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Such an interesting read, specially the feral child one.. It made me look more into other similar cases and just made me wonder so much such as the origin of language etc etc
Glad I read the whole thread.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join