It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suggest a new career for someone almost 40

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   
So I am really thinking of starting a new career . My dream would be to get myself and family off the grid and live a Sustainable lifestyle on a farm. Besides working and living off the land working just enough to support my family.
Unfortunately that's not an option currently. So for now I share some of my previous employment and education and hopefully I can get some suggestions .

So. I have my bachelor degree in computer science from ASU in Phoenix AZ. This was in 99 but considering I never pursuid a career in the field there is very little I can still do with out having to go back to school.

I also went to a vocational H.S for aero plane mechanics.

Now for work experience

I was a exterminator from age 17-21 .
I worked in Kennedy airport for a freight company loading and unloading commercial flights and also some inventory warehouse work. 21-23

Then I moved to Phoenix and to college at 23

I was a bartender and bouncer and Bar back
I did some help desk work for UPS and there shipping software
I was a manager of a texaco gas station and C- store
I was a merchandiser for Loews hardware stores. Making sure specific products were displayed and organized properly.

Then I moved back to NYC

I opened a bar/lounge in Brooklyn Ny . After 6 years of that I got burnt out and sold
I was a laborer for local 1010 doing paving and asphalt work .

I guess I have done a lot of different. Jobs in my life . Somethings I did between for short periods I won't bother to list . But now I am really looking for something that I can do that I won't be completly miserable showing up at work everyday. I really don't want to go back to school unless it is completly nessasary.
I am willing to relocate myself and family to someplace rural if nessasary and actual would prefer to live away from the city.

So any ideas anyone ?

Thanks you in advance for any and all suggestions .

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Your too old not to follow your dream. If you want to live off the grid on a farm then you need to do it now.

No offense by the way.

Are you sure your family wants to live off the grid and would they enjoy that rural lifestyle? If you have teenagers I highly doubt it.

Simply by a few acres out in the back country in Minnesota or somewhere that its dirt cheap, build you a little cottage and plant a garden.

No electricity, you can boil water from a nearby lake or stream to sanitize it....poop in the woods....the whole 9 yards.

Point is that it shouldn't cost you much to make this happen so I wish you the best of luck.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Get your skydiving license; after 500 jumps you can become a coach and after a few thousand you can become a full-time instructor
Usually DZ's are out in the tulies and you could have a nearby farm...
edit on 18-2-2013 by SilentKoala because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   
A technical Writer.

$$$

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by navione
So I am really thinking of starting a new career . My dream would be to get myself and family off the grid and live a Sustainable lifestyle on a farm. Besides working and living off the land working just enough to support my family.

This is exactly what I have been thinking about, too. I have been unemployed or underemployed so long I have gotten used to going without everything except food, and gas for my vehicle. The only thing I have spent money on in the past 2 years is a new pair of shoes and that was out of necessity.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by SilentKoala
Get your skydiving license; after 500 jumps you can become a coach and after a few thousand you can become a full-time instructor
Usually DZ's are out in the tulies and you could have a nearby farm...
edit on 18-2-2013 by SilentKoala because: (no reason given)

You need a license for that?

Oooops

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Landscaping. That is one that I would love to do on the side.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I wouldnt suggest it if you dont need alot of income...but.

Home inspection is my field and one I would suggest .

You need some training but is a self employed type of job and one you can still contribute to society as a whole without leaveing it entirely.

If your interested you can message me and Ill give you any pointers I can

Cheers!

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by navione

I would be glad to help you, I kinda do things you ask for now, but I cant sent you message here. I leaved 1 little trail in profile. Thats best I can.

Career, be your own boss, nwm you failed once, or twice. Only if you dont get up again counts.
edit on 18-2-2013 by poweref because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by poweref

Hi, its off topic but.... you can private message the OP by hovering your mouse over member under thier avatar and the message option is available .

Cheers!
edit on 18-2-2013 by Treespeaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Prison Guard

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

I think that's a good suggestion.
It's educational. You get to learn about plants, and the environment.
It's outside work, lots of sunshine, and physical activity.
And with that knowledge, you create a work of art, that someone pay's for, and others get to admire.
If done right, you can convert a bunch of ugly, water hungry grass into a microcosm of the region, by using native plants, colorful gravels.. And amazingly, you could end up saving the purcahser a LOT of money in the long run, by using less water.

I did my own yard when I bought a house, and I actually had people stopping by and asking for the landscaper's business card. Wife says I am a natural...But it made my back hurt a little, just thinking of more rock hauling, and tree planting..But I did learn a lot about my area's micro climates, .And how to find natie plants in the area that needed almost ZERO care...

I vote landscaping...and it sounds like navione has a pretty good resume to make a good salesperson, rock lifter, tree planter, educator, all rolled up into one...

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   
crop duster

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   
You could get a trade. You get paid to learn as an apprentice. If you get into refrigeration or elevator repair you could make over 100k. At your age it might be fun. If you have computer skills I would learn xcode for the mac and make apps.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 09:21 PM
link   
First you find locations that offer large acreage for low cost. usually the South or around the Appalachian Mountains, the western side of them. You want to be 'close' to a larger city, but not IN that city. It's not exactly off the grid, but it's darn close.

After you get your land, you sign up for the national wetlands project encompassing about half the acreage you buy. With the rest, you raise corn, soybeans and hay along with about 3-5 acres of pumpkins. This is where living close to the city will be useful.

In the autumn, you create the corn maze in a 2-3 acre field with a few towers built around it for viewing. Nothing too fancy, but sturdy and high enough for a good view. In another field you use the hay bales to create another maze a bit more "child friendly", about 2-3 bales high. You have the pumpkins for decoration as well as for selling. The kid groups will come to choose their own pumpkin and take advantage of the hay maze, have pumpkin carving contests, etc. At night, the older groups will participate in the corn maze along with some frightful additions.

in the spring, you can use the hayfield that is just starting to sprout to have huge easter egg hunts with entry fees, prizes, perhaps baby ducks, bunnies and chickens for sale. Even a big pic-nic type activity and sell food.

In the summer, you can offer hayrides and bonfires as well as camping if you are near a creek. Have special activities such a sing alongs or celebrations.

You can also provide space for kids wanting to work on 4-H projects as well as have maybe a bluegrass festival or the like. There are many many things you can do if you just have the land to do it with.
At least that's one of my possible plans for after I retire

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   
After 26 years as an elevator mechanic,I'm done.
I'm only 47 years old.

The airplane mechanic field is growing and since you have had some experience as far as education,look into that.You will need to go to school,but I bet they have an educational program or assistance.

Good luck with your search.

Peace,
K
edit on 18-2-2013 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I was forced to abandon my business of 25yrs at age 50. Took a few acting classes, got a producers certificate from our cable access TV station and entered the exciting world of Film and TV. Currently I've been in over 60 films as background or small SAG-AFTRA supporting roles, crew as 2ndAD, 1st AC, line producer or sound recordists on indy features. Never thought in my wildest dreams that this fantastic opportunity could happen this late in my life.

Dream Big!!! and good luck!!

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

I get it. 21 years in the refrigeration trade. At 40 it is what it is. This link is a good look at the job market of today. What usa do you work in

When it comes to getting a job, the USA has bifurcated into two employment worlds, the digital world and the brick and mortar world. The brick and mortar world is everything you physically touch. Its manufacturing. Its retail sales. Its distribution. Its construction. Etc. The digital world is everything defined by what you find on computing devices. It can be on your desk, in your hand or in the cloud.

edit on 18-2-2013 by d8track because: more info

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by navione

Become a Writer. Your grammar skills aren't all that bad, and you have a life of experience. Try your hand at this month's Writing Contest, and we'll see if that's a feasible option or not.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Bakken Oil Fields of ND - they have 10 jobs for every 1 person. Finding housing may be difficult.

www.ndoiljobs.com...

www.shaleoilresource.com...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join