It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Preppers/Truthers Becoming A Danger to our Society?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   
You guys are kidding I hope.

Trying to create a zeitgeist of influence and sway the masses are we?

People who prepare for disaster are taking a logical and rational approach to the worst that life
has to offer. We prepare to care for those that we love and for those naive sorts like those
people who choose to never save for a rainy day.

Those who don't prepare show a lack of understanding of human nature and human history.
They are uneducated and naive.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Sly1one

Read the thread before making dumb statements. Of course i blame the shooter. That' s what this is about. Please don't be an idiot on my thread thanks

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Shneal

Is it not the goal of the the mainstream establishment to discredit and create an enemy to progress their agenda,

I've seen these type of people in action in real life.

You can see them daily on ATS.... half of ATS is has this irrational government behind everything boogey men mentality.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Just because a prepper is a murderer or hostage taker doesn't mean all preppers are.

Crazies may be attracted to prepping.

I would be a prepper, but I am too poor. I don't even step on bugs. lol

If there was a shtf scenario, I would be running around trying to save all the children.
edit on 5-2-2013 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by canucks555
reply to post by Sly1one

Read the thread before making dumb statements. Of course i blame the shooter. That' s what this is about. Please don't be an idiot on my thread thanks

lol did you even read your own thread??

Seems like a daily occurrence. Some flaky prepper goes on a rampage and kills someone or some people in cold blood.

you don't blame the shooter, you blame preppers...

apparently its opposite day today in your threads...

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by WaterBottle

Def. good points, however I feel like whenever there is an incident that IMMEDIATELY brings about change in policies, starts stripping liberties, and gets played out in every part of the MSM over and over it is FOR A REASON. Shootings, bombings, rape, murder.. these things happen everyday. But sometimes it seem waaaay tooo convenient to be a coincidence seeing the puppeteers of the MSM would love to leave us with ZERO rights and complete control. I believe that a majority of the BIG events are reported and played out to get the people to back change and give up liberties out of fear. Classic problem, reaction, solution.. Just my take on it tho.

edit on 5-2-2013 by Shneal because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   

reply to post by CesarO

WRONG. I blame the shooter.
You blame (?)
Obama?
Mind Control?
The illuminate?
The Rothschilds?
H>A>R>P??

Your movement is getting out of control. Put a lid on it.

So.... "Well grounded" democrats and flaming liberals who go shooting up other people and workplaces are...what? Exceptions? Flukes? I'll leave out the list I have for newsworthy shootings in the last several years for cases that politics and history in your context is known about the shooter. It's not important.

That's the point though.... One has nothing to do with the other for a cause and effect in all but the most unsuaul cases, IMO. Maybe wackos are drawn to the doom culture that has risen. It makes sense. However, the doom culture didn't make anyone turn homicidal and psychotic. No chicken or egg debate here for me.

Outside of incidents like the nut who flew his private plane into the IRS building in Texas....or the one who flew his into the White House lawn under Clinton? True political or paranoid and delusional attacks seem rather rare IMO.

It's just the usual psychopathic spree killers and on examination? They're as likely to have a little "d" next to their voter registration as have an "r", if they registered at all. Just a likely to be a doomer as be an office worker "everyone said was such a nice and quiet guy".

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Just a troll thread. OP, comeback when you want to have a real discussion instead of trolling. Any response that is given adds fuel to his fire....even this very post...

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by WaterBottle

Originally posted by WaterBottle

You can see them daily on ATS.... half of ATS is has this irrational government behind everything boogey men mentality.
Yeah, many already do a good enough job discrediting themselves. The Government may assist to a certain extent, but it's nothing they need to waste time worrying about.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   
The only 'prepper' I have heard about committing a crime as of late is the old man that stormed a bus and kidnapped a 5 year old.

He took the boy down into an underground shelter.

The neighbors reported that the man was extremely paranoid; walking the perimeter of his property with a shot gun and other things along those lines.

I don't think that him being a 'prepper' had anything to do with what he did, he was clearly a very disturbed individual. There are plenty of people that are just as disturbed as he was that are NOT 'preppers'.

I take some offense to the OP, because, I am a 'prepper'. We have survival gear, bobs, an extensive first aid kit, and about a month's supply of food stored. We are NOT preparing for the apocalypse, or a zombie pandemic, or anything of the sort. We made the decision to prep based on the threat of natural disasters, disease outbreak, or civil unrest. These things are real, tangible scenarios that are completely legitimate and we don't want to be unprepared in the event that something should happen.

Example:

A tornado and a massive storm ripped through my area last summer and knocked out power for a week, some people had no power for three weeks. We had no gas in the car, no extra food, no ice for a cooler (had to go out of state to get gas and ice), no generator to run our pump. If it wouldn't have been for the kindness of friends and family, we would have been in a great deal of trouble. At that moment, we decided that it was time to prep. Not just for us, but, because of our children.

Prepping is a sensible thing to do. A natural disaster can hit anywhere at any time. We had almost no warning as the storm that hit was a 'pop up' storm.

Your OP suggests that preppers are all some kind of wack jobs when that simply is just not the case.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

Crazies may be attracted to prepping.

That's it, in a nutshell.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   
think i've decided to go out today telling the truth to everyone i meet and will also start prepping for......something.....?

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

My crowd isn't preparing for war against my neighbors. (how f%$%ed is that?)
-When someone from the Liberal side of things kills, I blame THEM.
NOT the government or HARP.

Lots of you trying to derail this thread I noticed. Go nuts.
-errr actually... Don't go nuts for societies sake, but post freely lol

edit on 5-2-2013 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Way to lump all the preppers togeather as blood suckers. I dont know what prepper you know but the ones i know are all god fearing Christians for the most part

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   

My crowd isn't preparing for war against my neighbors.
-When somone fromthe Liberal side of things kills, I blame THEM.

-errr actually no dont go nuts but post freely lol

See... There ya go... This thread is about division not examining any problems for cause or source.

"my crowd"? What crowd would that be...precisely? I didn't realize there was a "crowd" to formally identify or classify people into for either the people preparing for whatever the future may hold OR the wackos that run out killing people. The latter falls into the crowd of mentally deranged and homicidal nutjobs...but beyond that, which crowd, by incident to show a pattern here, would you be referring to? (after all..without incidents to cite and show a pattern, there isn't even enough to this thread to call it a point being made. pfft)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   

The guts of the thread (although it will be sure to wander) is that people that deflect the blame from criminals onto other entities (imo) have a feeble and dangerous mind set.
Get it?

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Right wing extremists commit the most terrorism and ideologically motivated crime in the USA. The media focuses on Muslims...but statistically you have a better chance of being killed by a right wing crazy.

As I wrote in the Boston Globe 17 months ago, the overwhelming numbers of acts of politically motivated violence in this country are committed by the right wing. If I may quote myself at length:

"The START database on terrorism in America, which tracks all incidents of political violence, shows that most attacks in the last two decades have been on black churches, reproductive rights facilities, government offices, and individual minorities. And those have been committed mainly by right-wing extremists. From 1990 to 2009, START identified 275 "homicide events'' that killed 520 people and were committed by right-wing ideologues. There were many more incidents of destruction of property, nonfatal attacks, and other acts of thuggery by white supremacists, private militias, and the like."

www.huffingtonpost.com...

The numbers in the New America Foundation database may well understate the toll of violence from right-wing extremists. Another FBI study reported that between January 1, 2007, and October 31, 2009, white supremacists were involved in 53 acts of violence, 40 of which were assaults directed primarily at African-Americans, seven of which were murders and the rest of which were threats, arson and intimidation. Most of these were treated as racially motivated crimes rather than political acts of violence, i.e. terrorism.

In the past year, the FBI has concluded investigations into a number of right-wing extremists, in some cases securing lengthy sentences for violent plots. In December, Kevin Harpham of Spokane, Washington, was sentenced to 32 years for planting a bomb at the site of a Martin Luther King Jr. parade. City workers found the bag containing the bomb an hour before the streets filled with parade-goers.

After 9/11, there was great concern that al Qaeda or an allied group would launch a terrorist attack involving chemical, biological, radiological or nuclear (CBRN) weapons. But in the past decade, there is no evidence that jihadist extremists in the United States have acquired or attempted to acquire material to construct CBRN weapons.

By contrast, 11 right-wing and left-wing extremists have managed to acquire CBRN material that they planned to use against the public, government employees or both.

Not included in those numbers were four elderly Georgia men who were arrested in November, accused of plotting to produce the deadly toxin ricin, which they wanted to throw out of a car window as they drove along a highways in the eastern and southern United States. The government says that one of the men, Frederick Thomas, was recorded by an informant as saying, "There is no way for us, as militiamen, to save this country, to save Georgia, without doing something that's highly, highly illegal: murder."

www.cnn.com...

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   

My crowd isn't preparing for war against my neighbors.
-When somone fromthe Liberal side of things kills, I blame THEM.

-errr actually no dont go nuts but post freely lol

Derail your thread?

You did a terrible job of providing the thread with ANY direction.

Unsubstantiated claims, hyperbole, pompous, self-gratifying, and accusatory in nature, with no
evidence to back any of it up.

The one shred of evidence provided is by a commercial and government pilot whose "foray"
into conspiracy theory was book published about the unlikely scenario that amateur pilots
could have successfully flown jumbo jets AT ALL....That's not conspiracy, that's a first person
highly qualified opinion....

Fail thread...

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I Think its actually the exact opposite, the people who havent prepped are going to be a danger. The ones who havent prepped are going to freak when the economy colllapses and there isnt any food or water to buy. Then theyll be begging and taking it even further with threats and vioence to get what they should have already stocked up for. I havent seen any prepper go on a rampage, besides the guy who took the little boy, and I woudnt classify him as a prepper. A nutcase sure.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Oh Ill agree that prepping attracts some nutballs. Many things attract them though and no one is foolish enough to believe that ALL preppers/truthers are a danger. Well, I take that back.. there ARE some foolish enough.

I was raised a prepper. Why? I lived in hurricane alley in a soupbowl. Grew up in it. You prep as its everyones duty to care for yourself and not look for the govt or others to bail you out for every disaster immediately. You say that there are those who never deal in real life and thats why they prep? Hogwash, real life is WHY my parents preppes and why I prep. It affrords us to abiility to help ourselves AND others. Here when a freak ice storm came and knocked power out for over a week in my area with no warning.. it was my husband and I who had the heat, gas, generators, means to cook, and etc. WE were the ones with the house filled with the neighbors and elderly from the neighborhood. We sure are a danger to your society. Then again, maybe we are.. to some folks' idea of society.

These wide brushes are getting a little too numerous on ATS recently. People are so hateful and hatefilled they think the worst of everything and everyone.. and make threads exposing their hatred and ignorance on the REAL LIFE subject of prepping. Not too long ago it was necessary to prep for disaster. Did you know FEMA wasn't always around? Red Cross? NO federal emergency response and communities of those who had the sense to prep were how we survived disasters and hard times?? People pulled together and had hte resources to pool t weather the storm? Now people just stand there with their hands out.. SOmetimes it seems like "reality" only started for some in the last 20 yrs..

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join