It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should England have it's own Parliament?

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by marvinthemartian
(just done my tax return in the nick of time)

Haha, that just made me laugh because I did my online tax return a couple of hours ago as well

Talk about taking it to the wire, the deadline is tomorrow if you haven't done it already folks...otherwise it's a £100 lateness fine

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by grainofsand

The Mayor has a range of specific powers and duties, and a general power to do anything that will promote economic and social development, and environmental improvement, in London. Before using many of his powers the Mayor must consult with Londoners, and in all cases, the Mayor must promote equality of opportunity.

The Mayor sets out plans and policies for London covering transport, planning and development, housing, economic development and regeneration, culture, health inequalities, and a range of environmental issues including climate change, biodiversity, ambient noise, waste disposal and air quality.
Bit more than transport then?

Not really. Notice how he "sets out plans and policies". There's not actually much executive power for any of those things bar transport. He has some influence in housing and waste but nothing compared to borough councils. And pollution? That's largely a transport issue anyway.

He (or she) can't raise any meaningful taxes, influence immigration, affect business or the economy in any extensive way or pass laws regarding crime or punishment beyond minor social nuisance legislation.

Compare this to the executive powers of the Scottish Parliament. There's quite a difference.

And the Lord Mayor of the City of London is largely an honorific.
Hmm, I'd agree to an extent, but it is quite an influencial position in other ways:

www.cityoflondon.gov.uk...

The Lord Mayor is elected on an annual basis for a one-year term in office. The position is unpaid and apolitical. The Lord Mayor spends some 90 days promoting the City abroad and also makes a number of business-focused visits to different parts of the UK. He addresses in the region of 10,000 people each month, making around 700 speeches a year.

The Lord Mayor also hosts a large number of visits by important foreign political and business figures. Another key aspect of the Lord Mayor's role is to advise the Government on the views of City businesses. As part of this the Lord Mayor is President of the Advisory Council of TheCityUK

It's a guy who makes a lot of speeches. There's no executive power whatsoever.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 05:40 AM
link   
reply to post by JuniorDisco

Ok interesting - in answer to your question, my opinion is London is in England - so no it should not have its own parliament, it would be represented at the English parliament.
If it had its own parliament it would be sharia probably anyway.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by HelenConway

Ok interesting - in answer to your question, my opinion is London is in England - so no it should not have its own parliament, it would be represented at the English parliament.
If it had its own parliament it would be sharia probably anyway.

Yeah, because the population of London is overwhelmingly muslim. Oh no, hang on, it's about 8 per cent.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Yes but that 8 per cent is more vocal about their beliefs than the other 92%. Who shouts the loudest......

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l

Yes but that 8 per cent is more vocal about their beliefs than the other 92%. Who shouts the loudest......

...gets to form a parliament based on their religious legal system?

Not sure about that.

I'm also not sure that all muslims in London want sharia law. In fact I know that most don't.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 06:00 AM
link   

I wasn't vindicating Helen's statement, I was just highlighting that the Muslim population in London get an unfair proportion of influence when compared to the physical populace demographics.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by grainofsand

While the Torries are in power you could well say it is an English Parliament. They have nothing but hate for the Scottish people and don't care much for Ireland and Wales.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 06:15 AM
link   

I wasn't vindicating Helen's statement, I was just highlighting that the Muslim population in London get an unfair proportion of influence when compared to the physical populace demographics.

That wasn't particularly clear, but in any case I'm not sure they do. You can dig up stories in the Daily Mail about halal meat in schools I suppose, but actual corridors of power stuff? Not really. The opposite in fact, I should think.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by JuniorDisco

That wasn't particularly clear, but in any case I'm not sure they do. You can dig up stories in the Daily Mail about halal meat in schools I suppose, but actual corridors of power stuff? Not really. The opposite in fact, I should think.

I have lived in London for years if you think the population demographic is 8 per cent, then who ever stated that is in cloud cuckoo land. London has been ummmm lets say, it has demographically changed in the past 20 years.

Anyway - back to the point , London is in England, so it should not have its own parliament, it should be incorporated in the English parliament.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by DrunkYogi

And whilst Labour was in power it was a Scottish Parliment.

B.Liar
Brown
Douglas Alexander
Alistair Darling

But to name a few off the top of my head.

I hate the fact that Scotland gets its own parliment and at the same time pretty much has the main say in the General elections too as nearly every constiuency votes Labour.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 07:26 AM
link   

I have lived in London for years if you think the population demographic is 8 per cent, then who ever stated that is in cloud cuckoo land. London has been ummmm lets say, it has demographically changed in the past 20 years.

Yeah, why use figures and proof when you can just base your assumptions on your feeling that there are a lot of horrid brown faces around.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 07:30 AM
link   

You do realise that there are many white Muslims too, I believe they are mostly white and Muslim in Bosnia.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Yeah, why use figures and proof when you can just base your assumptions on your feeling that there are a lot of horrid brown faces around.

I find this comment very offensive.
second line

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   

You do realise that there are many white Muslims too, I believe they are mostly white and Muslim in Bosnia.

I do. Just think, anyone could be a MUSLIM, just waiting for the right moment to impose Sharia law on our kiddies and blow up a bus.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 07:54 AM
link   

While the Torries are in power you could well say it is an English Parliament. They have nothing but hate for the Scottish people and don't care much for Ireland and Wales.

The Tories aren't bigotted - they have nothing but hate for the majority of English people too - think it's something to do with wealth, social standing etc.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn

The Tories aren't bigotted - they have nothing but hate for the majority of English people too - think it's something to do with wealth, social standing etc.

so why do people keep voting for them ? In fact the Labour party as it stands is just as 'posh' most having been through the public school / oxbridge system.

Why do people in the UK keep voting lib/lab/con ????? How can any sensible person keep repeating the same thing and expect different results ? Crazy.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 07:58 AM
link   

I think you are being a bit melodramatic aren't you?

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 08:00 AM
link   

I find this comment very offensive.
second line

My apologies. Perhaps your evident mischaracterisation of islam in Britain is genuinely misguided as opposed to based on a visceral dislike of muslims.

But the fact remains that your finger-in-the-air 'feeling' that there are a lot more muslims than eight per cent is worthless.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by HelenConway

so why do people keep voting for them ?

We don't in the North East, or the North West, or Yorkshire, or The Midlands.

In fact the Labour party as it stands is just as 'posh' most having been through the public school / oxbridge system.

Yes I know - I've posted that fact many a time here on ATS - and it's much to the shame of the Labour Party and it's a sad reflection of both the UK's education system and society as a whole.

But no matter which way someone spins it Labour is less vindictive and spiteful in their dealings with the regions than The Conservatives.

Why do people in the UK keep voting lib/lab/con ????? How can any sensible person keep repeating the same thing and expect different results ? Crazy.

Don't know, it's beyond me - but I guess it's because there are no viable alternatives given the current electoral and parliamentary system.

I've repeatedly stated my belief that we should abolish the party political system as it is outdated, unrepresentative and is clearly not working and implement radical reform of the electoral and parliamentary processes - unfortunately most people either don't give a toss or just like whinging and when it comes down to the nitty gritty they just haven't got the balls to do anything at all and by their inactivity support the status quo along with all it's inequalities and injustices.

edit on 31/1/13 by Freeborn because: Spelling, grammar, clarity etc

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join