It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should England have it's own Parliament?

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by JuniorDisco

Having lived and worked around London, then it would be easy to get the feeling you were in a foreign City, by accents, language and general appearance of the Citizens. That is an observation that just cannot be ignored, I think it was a little irrelevant to the debate, but Helen has every right to make that observation without being inferred that she is rascist.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
reply to post by HelenConway

But you aren't doing anything about anything - it seems your some total is complaining on the internet - sure all of us here are doing that - but some are working for change in other ways too.

You reject this system yet offer no alternative - it appears that you aren't even seeking an alternative.

What are you doing - may I ask ?
And yes I know what you mean - I would like to be involved in some way but if you become vocal the establishment ' takes you down' .

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l

Having lived and worked around London, then it would be easy to get the feeling you were in a foreign City, by accents, language and general appearance of the Citizens.

What country would you think it was in?

That is an observation that just cannot be ignored, I think it was a little irrelevant to the debate, but Helen has every right to make that observation without being inferred that she is rascist.

She does, but that isn't what she did. She claimed that the figure of 8 per cent of London being muslim was bogus because she lived there and saw lots of muslims.

She certainly also has a right to say this, but it's hardly persuasive. And it implies a certain mindset that if not racist, is hardly nuanced towards discovering the facts about the ethnic mix in London.

link   
reply to post by michael1983l

I undrstand that completely - it's how they have us by the balls.

People need to work ridiculous hours just to earn a half-decent living and support their families - even the majority of people who aren't too dumbed down and apathetic to see what's going on simply haven't got the time, resources or energy to do anything.
And as long as that stays the same nothing will change - and 'they' win.

But if people aren't prepared to go that extra mile and try to bring about change do we really have the 'right' to complain?

I don't know - that's a question for wiser minds than mine.

link   

Move to Australia.

That is the only realistic way of getting the change you desire in your life. And yes I am myself considering it, if only the bloody Aussies would let me have a job and a visa.
edit on 31-1-2013 by michael1983l because: (no reason given)

yea well I am an Australian citizen also - I still chose to live here

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   

I think Helen raises a good point though. I think that the official figures will not include many Citizens that have a British Passport, which can be acheived within 3 years of living in Britain. This may not affect the figures regarding the Muslim faith, but it certainly would be relevant in a discussion about foreign representation in the Bourgh of London. Helen is making some good points, albeit that they have to be interperated a little first.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by JuniorDisco

Having lived and worked around London, then it would be easy to get the feeling you were in a foreign City, by accents, language and general appearance of the Citizens.

What country would you think it was in?

That is an observation that just cannot be ignored, I think it was a little irrelevant to the debate, but Helen has every right to make that observation without being inferred that she is rascist.

She does, but that isn't what she did. She claimed that the figure of 8 per cent of London being muslim was bogus because she lived there and saw lots of muslims.

She certainly also has a right to say this, but it's hardly persuasive. And it implies a certain mindset that if not racist, is hardly nuanced towards discovering the facts about the ethnic mix in London.

Look disco can you please get back on topic and if you want to take your grievances about London's ethnic mix take it on to another thread. This discussion is about a parliament for England.
Otherwise you are trolling.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Here's a little reminder of Scotland...........

The average Englishman, in the home he calls his castle, slips into his national costume, a shabby raincoat, patented by chemist Charles Macintosh from Glasgow, Scotland. En route to his office he strides along the English lane, surfaced by John Macadam of Ayrshire

:He drives an English car fitted with tyres invented by John Boyd Dunlop of Dreghorn, Scotland, arrives at the station and boards a train, the forerunner of which was a steam engine, invented by James Watt of Greenock, Scotland. He then pours himself a cup of coffee from a thermos flask, the latter invented by Dewar, a Scotsman from Kincardine-on-Forth.

At the office he receives the mail bearing adhesive stamps invented by James Chalmers of Dundee, Scotland.

During the day he uses the telephone invented by Alexander Graham Bell, born in Edinburgh, Scotland.

At home in the evening his daughter pedals her bicycle invented by Kirkpatrick Macmillan, blacksmith of Dumfries, Scotland.

He watches the news on his television, an invention of John Logie Baird of Helensburgh, Scotland, and hears an item about the U.S. Navy, founded by John Paul Jones of Kirkbean, Scotland.

He has by now been reminded too much of Scotland and in desperation he picks up the Bible only to find that the first man mentioned in the good book is a Scot, King James VI, who authorised its translation.

Nowhere can an Englishman turn to escape the ingenuity of the Scots.

He could take to drink, but the Scots make the best in the world.

He could take a rifle and end it all but the breech-loading rifle was invented by Captain Patrick of Pitfours, Scotland.

If he escapes death, he might then find himself on an operating table injected with penicillin, which was discovered by Alexander Fleming of Darvel, Scotland, and given an anaesthetic, which was discovered by Sir James Young Simpson of Bathgate, Scotland.

Out of the anaesthetic, he would find no comfort in learning he was as safe as the Bank of England founded by William Paterson of Dumfries, Scotland.

Perhaps his only remaining hope would be to get a transfusion of guid Scottish blood which would entitle him to ask "Wha’s Like Us".

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by DrunkYogi

........ it's just that they reserve that special hate for the Scot's because their party is almost extinct up here.

It's almost extinct in the North East and the other regions of England I mentioned.

They know that they have enough support in certain part's of England that Scottish support wont count in an election,

That's true - and again, the same can be said about the North East etc - Scotland is not unique in that respect at all.
Any English parliament will be permanently Tory controlled and we in the North East will be more marginalised than ever before.

in fact they even tried to mess with the boundaries last week to get even more of an advantage, Thankfully they failed.

They weren't the first to try - many administrations, Labour and Conservative, have altered constituency bounderies in the past, always to the advantage of the ruling party.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Of course we have the right to complain, our elected officials are supposed to represent the views of the people that vote them into office, but they all too often implement policies that are in direct opposition to the will of the majority. For as long as politicians are not accountable to their promises and actions and continue to lie on a daily basis, then nothing will ever change, because it is only the MPs that can vote in any change at Westminster. Short of that we need a revolution in this Country and I don't think our people have the motivation or the will to do so for as long as Corination Street is still on when they get home from work.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrunkYogi
Nowhere can an Englishman turn to escape the ingenuity of the Scots.

No intelligent person denies the cleverness of some Scottish people, but many of the world's inventions have their origins in the British Isles. There are just as many clever English / Welsh and NI people.

However - I do not think it is healthy to start suggesting by their DNA, that Scots are cleverer then the English, taht is rubbish, but is that an argument for an English parliament or against it ?

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Did you take that straight off of Alex Salmonds facebook page?

Are you also naieve enough to think that the Scots have a monopoly on great discoveries? Do you not think there is a list as long as the M1, with English inventors and their great discoveries?

Your post proves nothing and highlights the great misplacement of judgement by those Scottish folk that are just too bitter to realise that England is not the enemy and that the relationship is mutally benaficial.

Voting for independance is just voting for Westminister to stop making decisions and Brussels to take over, Alex Salmond has already confirmed this. At least you Scots can get elected officials into Westminster, the same cannot be said for Brussels. Be careful what you wish for.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Of course we have the right to complain, our elected officials are supposed to represent the views of the people that vote them into office,

I couldn't agree with you more.

but they all too often implement policies that are in direct opposition to the will of the majority.

And again, I agree 100%.

For as long as politicians are not accountable to their promises and actions and continue to lie on a daily basis, then nothing will ever change, because it is only the MPs that can vote in any change at Westminster.

So if we don't get actively involved in politics or attempting to bring about the necessary reform we are stuck with this outdated, unrepresentative and corrupt system.
Simply voting in accordance with the system, 'whinging' or constructive and reasoned debate on forums such as this etc will not bring about change.

Short of that we need a revolution in this Country

A full system re-boot!

and I don't think our people have the motivation or the will to do so for as long as Corination Street is still on when they get home from work.

And they can scrape together enough for a bottle of vino and a few cans......sad, but very true.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   

LOL...........Actually i think it's been proved that the Northern Irish school children are the smartest in the UK.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Thanks to the Educational system in place that is run by the British Government and part funded by the British tax payer. See the system works and as you have highlighted, it is not totally London centric like you suggest. After all how would N.I. have the best schooling if all the money was spent in the South East of England?

link   

Who said i was voting for Independence?

link   

Who said i was voting for Independence?

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Who accused you of voting for independance? I made a general statement about what an independance vote would bring but nothing else. Off the back of what you have suggested so far, you'd be a bit of a hypocrite if you didn't vote for independance and it would go some way to proving that you don't really believe the SNP rhetoric that you so easily regergitate, but that is just my opinion.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   

What are you doing - may I ask ?

I do my fair share of whinging and moaning I assure you!

But for a long time I have tried to involve myself in local issues and have been involved in the organisation of several protests and demonstrations over the years.

For various reasons I don't think I'm eligible for elected office, (I don't think it would be a viable option anyway - some people have a skeleton or two in the closet, I have a full graveyard in there).
But I have tried to start a political party and quite vocally and actively try to promote one or two other things.

..... I would like to be involved in some way but if you become vocal the establishment ' takes you down' .

I don't think things are quite that draconian....yet.....and I don't think I've ever been anywhere near high profile enough for 'them' to be even aware of who I am let alone 'take me down'.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Who accused you of voting for independance? I made a general statement about what an independance vote would bring but nothing else. Off the back of what you have suggested so far, you'd be a bit of a hypocrite if you didn't vote for independance and it would go some way to proving that you don't really believe the SNP rhetoric that you so easily regergitate, but that is just my opinion.

You said, be careful what you wish for! Implying i was wishing for Independence.
What SNP rhetoric?

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join