It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should Scotland be an independent country?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 02:33 AM
link   
I know this topic will strike deep to the hearts of all those involved. I Do believe that Scotland should be free.I want Scotland to be free and I dream of the day that it will be. I belong to the Boyd Clan and I will serve the Boyd Clan in any way I can. Independence from England does not mean that we could not be good friends. I am Canadian and such independence could be viewed in same way as it goes for Canada;we are "independent",but we are not(no complaints here-at least none that I would ever make public).

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 02:36 AM
link   
of course they should
every country/nation should be

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 02:45 AM
link   
It is already a country and also part of the UK, Scotland will get more powers but no way will they leave the UK, most Scots do not want to leave.

www.scotsman.com...

Together with England,Wales and NI we have been a big voice in the world for such a little place, If we split up we will all suffer.

Look at who can vote too

British citizens resident in Scotland;
Commonwealth citizens resident in Scotland;
citizens of other European Union countries resident in Scotland;
members of the House of Lords resident in Scotland

Independence will never happen, we go back to far...anyhow you are a Canadian not a Scot.
edit on 25-1-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Agree with Teddy 100%.

Any country who wants to be independent and free from another country has every right to be. Now mind you some choose to be controlled by others, but that is usually the underdeveloped countries who need the support, but that should be the only reason, if it's their choice and not by force.

All conspiracies aside, whether they be true or not, no one from a free country, such as the U.S. in my case, should ever say another country doesn't have the right for their own freedom when they would not want another country running their own. It shouldn't even be a question thought of, let alone asked.

I have a friend from Belfast, and he longs for the day when Ireland is independent from England, and doesn't even recognize himself as British, and it's people like him that make me even prouder to live where I do because he's always saying good things about the states, and how he hopes his country one day has the same independence, and I hope he gets it because no country deserves to have their history and culture impeded on and have their laws written by and governed by another.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 02:50 AM
link   
Iam out this is going to become another English bashing thread....

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 02:52 AM
link   
I have nothing to do with it but I would like to see Scotland become Independent. Where are the William Wallaces?
Scotland should stand alone. It seems that England and the rest of the Uk stand to lose. Scotland should go for it.

edit on 25-1-2013 by stuntmanbob because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 02:57 AM
link   
This is the double-edged sword for me because I am British on my mothers side of the family. But in the end I am Canadian and that is my heritage. It is a good thing that Hockey is back.We were about to lose our cool without our national past-time(it's the only thing keeping Canada from going nuts).

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Not true. I am half British so I will have none of that. This is purely a political issue and I believe there is a solution that could make everyone happy.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 03:15 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

I may be Canadian but I am part of the Boyd Clan(look it up). Being independent doesn't mean you cut all ties with the country next door. As a Canadian I have to be polite to our friends bellow the 49th and all members of the commonwealth. I would have it no other way(this is an empire capable of global domination but I hope that isn't on the agenda).

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 03:22 AM
link   
They can do as they please, I personally would rather we stayed as a union, but I won't be losing any sleep over it.

Sad that many from across the pond rely on a dodgy film made by a reactionary catholic, as some kind of historical evidence. Braveheart was a movie guys, with the usual historical revisionism Hollywood brings.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 03:24 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWetCoast

I thought it was already its own Country

what the hell was William Wallace/Mel Gibson going on about then?

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Scotland, although tiny, is a real powerhouse, which is why so many people want the union to remain. It's not because they love us, it's because we're useful. I would love to see an independent Scotland, and after the dust has settled, I believe we will be an even stronger and more prosperous nation. The teething troubles will hurt of course, but long term, we will be better off, as most small countries are. For some reason, the Scots seem to have no confidence in themselves, which I find frustrating, but perhaps that's a whole other debate. Maybe a couple of centuries of propaganda has something to do with it.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 03:36 AM
link   
reply to post by caitlinfae

Quite amusing clip, about the propaganda you refer too.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 03:44 AM
link   
The short answer is no. And everyone here saying yes they should be are exactly what they claim to despise.

Just one in three Scots want independence from UK

So the Scottish people do not want full independence, but you know better than them?

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Give them a referendum. A proper one. People living in Scotland who were born to Scottish parents.
Then, if they want out of the Union it would be dead wrong to stop them.
(Just figure out some way to not have to worry about border checks and I'd be happy).

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 04:00 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

I was hoping that movie "Braveheart" would not be brought up.If you think that the falsehoods in this movie had any motivation in the creation of this thread-you are wrong. I am not uneducated and I do know the difference between fact and fantasy. To suggest that anyone's perspective is what you might find in the movies is very ignorant. I respectfully disagree with your comment.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 04:02 AM
link   
Personally i dont want Scotland to secede from the United Kingdom.

England has already removed most of our natural resources, meaning our Oil and Natural Gas. The Euro is in the toilet and the government has housed 100,000s of refugees in our citys. I dont think Scotland will survive without the help of our partner nations. Just look at the state that Southern Ireland is in these days! Thats what we have to look forward to if we do leave the United Kingdom!

Im Scottish, but i am also British through and through! They wont be getting my passport thats for sure!

God bless our mighty nation!
edit on 25-1-2013 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 04:06 AM
link   
As a British person, here is an open letter to any people who regard themselves as English/Irish/Welsh/Scottish.

Dear English/Irish/Welsh/Scottish

Stop being so obtuse.

Regards,
The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 04:13 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWetCoast

Should Scotland be an independent country?

Och aye!!

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by andy06shake

The commonwealth is the most powerful force on this planet.No country would ever care to leave it(I'm talking token statehood-like Canada has). The United States has already had it's will bent to the designs of this powerhouse and WILL continue to serve the best interests or this union(the U.S. is the military wing of the commonwealth).

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join