It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should Scotland be an independent country?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
reply to post by boymonkey74

it's the united kingdoms, but it seems one monarch is always in charge.

currently, the future king of scotland is charles. as he holds the title of the duke of rothesay.

he has it because the english kicked the scots asses all over the highlands and then some.

the only way to get it back is to restore, reclaim the title of rothesay back to scotland, and proclaim a new king independent or a part of the united kingdom.

maybe the scots can locate sean connery and proclaim him king connery the first, ruler of scotland.

the world would be outraged if the english declared war against james bond.

The first king of England and Scotland combined was James V1 of Scotland , a Stuart, who became James 1 of England on the death of Elizabeth ! in 1603 .

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Maybe we can go bust like Ireland WOOHOO.

I honestly cant wait to pay for new passports, new military, new police, new fire services, new health services, new courts, new judiciary systems new everything!, taxes for for everyone!!!

But thats ok our rapidly depleting North Sea Oil will pay for it all!!!

LOL.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Your a scot living in another country that's both English and French.....

...and your asking if the country you no longer reside in should be independent?

Why not go back home and fight for it instead of making suggestions for somewhere you've abandoned.

Sorry, but if you leave a country you belong in you don't have a voice in my opinion. If indeed your a Boyd but born in Canada you are Canadian and have no voice for Scotland. All you have is a name.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Hi all.

I am a scotsman through and through. In my 30 years of living in this country I think it would be best for my beautiful nation to have independence.

My reasons for this is =

We have struggled to strive to the powerful nation we could be because our we are mostly controlled by english law which to me isn't right.
No country has the right to set the rules of another country or tell them that they should bow down to their queen or king !
If my nation had the chance to stand on her own I think we would become a very rich nation because of all the resourses we have i.e. coal, oil, fresh water and the biggest export "WHISKEY" or as our yankie friends like to call it "scotch" .
In no way is this a dig @ any englishmen .
The people can't control what their government do in their name !

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by knowthepath

If you think you can live on the exports of whiskey then you are a going to be disappointed when a lot of the people won't pay what you want for a bottle just so you can live in an ivory tower with every bottle

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by andy06shake

remind me again , how much was the new english national stadium overbudget ?
Now imagine that nationwide !!!

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by HelenConway

...We also had 2 scottish PMs recently Blair and Brown.

Sigh - I hate to admit to this but actually you could kind of make that 3... 'Call me Dave' Cameron's father was of Scottish origin. He came from Inverness.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxatoria

How do you think france gets by ??????

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by knowthepath
Hi all.

I am a scotsman through and through. In my 30 years of living in this country I think it would be best for my beautiful nation to have independence.

My reasons for this is =

We have struggled to strive to the powerful nation we could be because our we are mostly controlled by english law which to me isn't right.
No country has the right to set the rules of another country or tell them that they should bow down to their queen or king !
If my nation had the chance to stand on her own I think we would become a very rich nation because of all the resourses we have i.e. coal, oil, fresh water and the biggest export "WHISKEY" or as our yankie friends like to call it "scotch" .
In no way is this a dig @ any englishmen .
The people can't control what their government do in their name !

You are very welcome to your vote on this issue but to exercise it properly you should get your facts right.

a ) Scottish law is distinct from English law.

b ) The first monarch of a joined Scotland and England was a Scot. James V1 of Scotland and James 1 of England so you are not " bowing down " to "their queen or king ".

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Well to be fair our biggest exports are Oil and Gas and Timber. And its GDP is probably in the top 50, which aint bad for a country with a population just shy of 6 million. Our GDP would also be exponentialy higher if our Oil and Gas fields were under our control, something to bear in mind.

And despite North Sea oil in decline, we still have the largest reserves in the entire EU, so you know. Were pretty much loaded.
edit on 25-1-2013 by Tuttle because: (no reason given)

Ob and just another thing, Scotland more or less has been controlling the modern world for the last 200 years or so, not so much now that the American Empire has taken over, but England has most certainly been in our back pocket for some time.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tuttle

Well to be fair our biggest exports are Oil and Gas and Timber. And its GDP is probably in the top 50, which aint bad for a country with a population just shy of 6 million. Our GDP would also be exponentialy higher if our Oil and Gas fields were under our control, something to bear in mind.

And despite North Sea oil in decline, we still have the largest reserves in the entire EU, so you know. Were pretty much loaded.

Ob and just another thing, Scotland more or less has been controlling the modern world for the last 200 years or so, not so much now that the American Empire has taken over, but England has most certainly been in our back pocket for some time.

Scottish oil and gas revenues appear to be in decline and even now the struggling Scottish economy needs handouts from Westminster :-

www.telegraph.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Alfie1

"Scottish law derives from English law" the only difference we have in law is -
acts and statues, which are given the force of law under the consent of the governed !

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Alfie1

They have been in decline ever since the first barrel of oil was removed, however all major wells will still be operational by 2020, and even after then, there is still such a vast amount of oil and gas available, it really doesnt matter too much. Also a decline in production doesnt actualy mean the oil is not there, maintenance, gas leaks, price of oil etc controls how much production actualy happens.

I dont believe North Sea Oil and Gas is really something to rely on times of independence, but even without it, Scotland would do very well financialy. Better than England anyway, we have more natural resources and a much smaller population, simples. But lets be honest, the UK economy as a whole is totaly screwed, in all countries within it.

But you did read the whole article though right?

The 400 million lump sum will be offset by a reduction in our budget spending over the next 4 years?

Thats my only realy gripe about it, I couldnt care less about independence but Scotland retains less than 10% of it budget allocation, the rest is allocated by Parliament. Im not sure that is very sound at all.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Bring it on.....Scotland for Independence...we will cut our Cloth accordingly....I foresee no problems whatsoever...

If it all goes Pete Tong we can sell our delicious water to the soft southerners....

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by HelenConway

I am not passive aggressive - please do not make this personal.
I said quite openly I am sick of hearing the Scottish media / public moaning,.. it is painful.

We in England do not have our own parliament - what about us ?

You have a vote - use it and stop whinging as a country .. please.

In answer to your moan in I would ask you take 5 minutes out of your life and watch this vid.

You may not appreciate that the Scottish people have never been given a say on membership of the Union they have been part of for more than 300 years and in roughly 20 months for the first time in our history we will actually have a say in the matter. Nor may you appreciate that the Scottish school curriculum has been carefully constructed over the years to disenfranchise Scots from their own history and heritage - and that many who have had no such knowledge are now enthused to learn.

You certainly will not appreciate that the Union fears of pro-nationalist sentiment has been so acute over the years that tptb at the BBC refused to air even a half hour of Scottish poetry and prose show on the radio.

You remember when you were a kid and had to sit quietly in school all day? Do you remember how you couldn't stop talking to your friends when you got out of that classroom? It's is a bit like that. The chatter is just going to get louder so you may as well get used to it.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by christina-66

In answer to your moan in I would ask you take 5 minutes out of your life and watch this vid.

I watched it - can I get those 5 minutes back now!

I say bring on independence for Scotland - believe me I think it will be a good thing for everyone....
So back to 'my moan' - when are we going to get an English parliament ?

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Helen start your own thread on that topic - the op specifically asks should SCOTLAND be an independent country?

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I am a member of the Wu Tang clan.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by christina-66

Helen start your own thread on that topic - the op specifically asks should SCOTLAND be an independent country?

I think Scotland should be independent - why is that not on topic ! As I have said ...

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   

A thread entitled 'Should England have its own parliament?' may provide the answers you seek?

I appreciate your opinion, that you think Scotland should have its independence and I hope that you appreciate that this referendum is much more important to us than a run of the mill general election. How the Scot's vote has real implications for the whole of the UK and it is only right that the consequences are debated in full before any vote takes place (as I'm certain they will be).
edit on 25-1-2013 by christina-66 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join