It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

After guns they're coming after your bows and crossbows!!!

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Iam'___'

You know I will never be able to understand the British mind. Exactly who was Americas founding fathers? They were British who were damn tired of oppressive and tyranical Government. They fought for and won that independence from said oppressive/tyranical Government.

Britian on the otherhand, has the same form of Government it had back when it's CITIZENS broke and gained independence from their oppressive/tyranical government. So when your whining about Americas founding fathers, your really talking about your own people, just the ones that got tired of the BS imposed by British rule.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by RobinB022
reply to post by YapTalk

I believe that EVERYONE has the right to self defense by all means necessary. If a convicted felon who has paid his debt to society and has changed his ways, he too deserves to protect himself and his family.

There have to be exceptions for those felons who have abused a woman person by force and who likely won't change even after imprisonment. Infact, oftentimes prison or jail can make these type of criminals worse after than before their punishment. It just makes no sense to put a weapon back in the hands of a person who is a felon, not when the felon involved violence or death threats on another person. No sense at all.

Other felons can't [or shouldn't] be compared to those of the violent persuasion.

I am TRULY SORRY that you were smacked around by some guy but I am quite sure (nearly 100%) that your man was convicted of a MISDEMEANOR like the thousands that happens to a day. So his rights to self defense should still be protected.

Anyway, a right can never be taken away, can not be given away or they would be mere privileges.

How about the thousands of guys persons who get false restraining orders put against them by women people in the US courts daily. Should they lose their rights to self defense / weapons?

Did you know that claiming abuse and getting a restraining order is a COURT TACTIC used by women people to "win custody" of their children and more alimony etc?

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

Let me be that guy....

While I think the police reaction was clearly rediculous..... there are a few things to consider.

I believe that person living beside you has every right to be concerned if they see someone sitting outside with a weapon, they don't know you are a nice guy, maybe that's your own fault.

Second, you said when the cops told you that you weren't allowed to have a weapon, you inferred they knew this before approaching you.

A cop gets a call that a convicted felon, or criminal, or whatever, is seen brandishing a weapon, how exactly do you expect that to play out?

The fact that you weren't arrested, and still have your bow, shows me the system is at least trying to work.

Now, if I'm the guy living next door, and I don't know you, and I see you sitting there with a bow, I'd probably watch for a second, notice you doing maintenance on it, and knowing me, come ask you about it as I've done some archery way way back, but we're talking middle school garbage bows.

So I guess the commentary for me is, the system worked, even with it overreacting.. The moral is, something needs to be done to educate and alleviate some of the paranoia revolving around weapons be them bows or guns.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC
There is no difference between me working on my bow or crossbow and the local drunk tuning up his car in his yard.

I don't know where to begin with this. How ridiculous. The two have NOTHING to do with each other and that argument is only used as a strawman to deflect the topic.

Should I call the local police and tell them I think he's tuning up his car so he can drive it while intoxicated?

By all means, call them IF he gets in the car and drives - until then he is doing NOTHING WRONG.

Nice attempt at deflection though.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by MajorKarma

Having now seen that video of the young-man in England being interviewed by police after being arrested for having a box cutter in his backpack, I never again want to hear from any English, British or whatever they wish to call themselves say another G D Word about our 2nd Amendment or how we should or should not live here in the United States. Any human being who would allow their government treat them like this and make laws like this and behave like this are not fit to speak, let alone give us advice.

If you want to live like they live in England, GO THERE!
edit on 13-1-2013 by MajorKarma because: (no reason given)

Apart from how long it took the interviewing detective to realise the obvious, ie. the person they had arrested had a perfectly reasonable excuse for having such a potentially damaging tool on his person in a public place, what was so wrong with his treatment?

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Have you ever lived in America if I might ask?

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by openyourmind1262

Been to Hawaii for 2 weeks many years ago. I certainly wouldn't risk myself or my wife by going to the US nowadays though - the thought makes me nervous.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties

There is no difference between me working on my bow or crossbow and the local drunk tuning up his car in his yard.

I don't know where to begin with this. How ridiculous. The two have NOTHING to do with each other and that argument is only used as a strawman to deflect the topic.

They have EVERYTHING to do with each other, BOTH are inanimate objects

Should I call the local police and tell them I think he's tuning up his car so he can drive it while intoxicated?

By all means, call them IF he gets in the car and drives - until then he is doing NOTHING WRONG.

Nice attempt at deflection though.

Thats right, he was doing NOTHING WRONG, neither was I

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Iam'___'

The 2nd amendment s just a few lines on a piece of paper that will NEVER be exercised, otherwise they would have been already.

We have exercised our second amendment rights. Every time we take up arms in self defense.

A marriage license is only words on a piece of paper too, but those words have meaning and give people certain rights.

Words can't be defined as "just words", when their intentions have true meaning and value.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   

They have EVERYTHING to do with each other, BOTH are inanimate objects

Wrong. One is used for transportation, the other has NO OTHER USE except killing living beings.

Thats right, he was doing NOTHING WRONG, neither was I

How did your neighbour know that hmm? Are you trying to claim your neighbour is a mind reader and instantly knew that some strange man polishing his crossbow WASN'T dangerous or intending to hurt people hmmmm??

Didn't think so.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   

One is used for transportation, the other has NO OTHER USE except killing living beings.

How many vehicle related deaths do you see yearly due to DUIs.?
I fair amount, I used to be an EMT, I've responded to my fair share of em.
How many archery related killings have you heard of?
But let's use your quote here, one is used for transportation, one is used for killing living beings.
They are both tools, I use mine to provide sustenance for me and my son, you know how EXPENSIVE meat is nowadays?
A couple of deer, wild boar, wild turkeys will fill my freezer every year.
Money saved.
ETA: let me add this: there ARE other uses for archery gear, ever hear of something called the Olympics?
If I hallucinated or something, let me know, but I remember something about archery being one of the events...
edit on 1/14/2013 by HomerinNC because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

Still deflecting I see.

The topic is your neighbour called the cops on you because you were sitting outside in full public view polishing your crossbow. Unless you are trying to claim that your neighbour should have been psychic and known that you weren't going to use it for nefarious purposes then that neighbour had every right to call the cops on you - and because of your previous legal history they had EVERY right to turn up and check it out.

End of story.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   
OH NO!! "they" are trying to take your bows and arrows? How on earth will you ride unto battle upon thy mighty steed?

Ridiculous.

Who on earth needs a crossbow in this day and age anyway?

Like guns, they are a tool for killing.

I am also assuming that if you have the money to own a weapon you do not need to hunt for food.

You guys crack me up!

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by greenovni

You got the wrong idea, and made some very poor assumptions.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Again, my neighbor wouldn't have known my history, unless he is paranoid, snooped thru my mailbox, got my name and went to the courthouse.
I have NEVER used a weapon against another person IN MY LIFE, not even when I was in the Army. NEVER.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   

reply to post by Kryties

Again, my neighbor wouldn't have known my history, unless he is paranoid, snooped thru my mailbox, got my name and went to the courthouse.

Read what I wrote again. I said the neighbour had no idea if you were up to no good or not, and the cops (because of your criminal history) had to check it out. It wasn't that difficult to understand mate come on.

I have NEVER used a weapon against another person IN MY LIFE, not even when I was in the Army. NEVER.

How did your neighbour know this? Hmmm?

I am sure many many killers out there would say the same thing mate.
edit on 14/1/2013 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Briles1207
OH NO!! "they" are trying to take your bows and arrows? How on earth will you ride unto battle upon thy mighty steed?

Ridiculous.

Who on earth needs a crossbow in this day and age anyway?

Like guns, they are a tool for killing.

I am also assuming that if you have the money to own a weapon you do not need to hunt for food.

You guys crack me up!

And you guys make me sad, what with all of your thinking skills. Cross-bow is big sport here in the US.

Why is everyone so angry about this topic of gun/bow/sword?etc. ownership? May as well have real conversation w/o the anger and hateful attitude, because our guns aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Because people are sick of lives being taken in the name of a law that has no modern relevence.

Thats why..

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by RobinB022

Why is everyone so angry about this topic of gun/bow/sword?etc. ownership? May as well have real conversation w/o the anger and hateful attitude, because our guns aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

No-one is angry mate, no need to try to make out like we are. Personally I just see ludicrous statements that I feel need to be corrected.

I noticed it didn't take long for the gun advocates to start labeling detractors "haters". I was wondering how long it would be before we saw the "hater" punchline come out.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Other than Homer being a felon for reasons un-known to us here on ATS, Homer did zero wrong. Period. If LE actually got a call, there's a record of that call, that Homer has a right to obtain. Cleaning a crossbow or any other weapon on ones front porch or yard or sitting on top of your house isnt against the law.

If in fact there was no call to 911, then Homer has Le knowing he's a felon and like all felons LE tends to keep a close eye on. I have had LE come to my home because of shooting at my range in my back yard. Last time they came out was about three weeks ago . I had a group of folks over and we were shooting our firearms and having a really great time. Then here comes the sheriff, pulls up my drive , My wife gets me and I go to the front of the house to speak with this deputy. He ask's " What the hell is going on here" I said myself and a few friends were target shooting at my range on the back side of my property. I walked him around the back .showed him my range, asked if he would like to shhot a round or two. He said no. I said then why are you here? He said " we got a call from your neighbor" I said really! Which one. He said " I'm not at liberty to say" Then I said, then "I'll wait 30 days and request thru the freedom of infornation act that particular 911 call" He said" Onne of your neighbors is worried about a stray round" and asked me to stop and in the future give them a call .

I said no. That's not required of me. And Seeing how allmost every neighbor I have is standing in my yard right now shooting at my range, I find it hard to beleive you all got a 911 call. He could not leave fast enough. I still shoot every sat, with my neighbors. No sheriff's no 911 calls, Bottom line was he was driving near, heard the shots and came and played the part of Barney Fife to a T. Problem being he came upon some one who knows their rights.

More than likely they rode by saw Homer on the porch, called and found out he was a felon and came and harrassed him accordingly. What if he was teaching his child to shoot a crossbow? Is that illegal? No. other than being an admitted felon, Homer has done nothing outside his legal rights. LE is in fact out of hand nationwide. Period.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join