It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vehicle registration is unjust tax.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 04:35 AM
link   
You think after paying these taxes every year, they would least get your name right....At least once. I don't know how many times I've had to correct them and they still spell it wrong.

edit on 4-1-2013 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Hey OP, check in your state for Permanent plates..

not sure about your state but here in MT, we have
the option to pay 3 years of taxes at once and
never have to register the car again for life.

I think the truck i paid somewhere around $250 to get
life time Permanent plates. Never have to worry about
it again.

Of course that was years ago, and some 280K miles ago and
now it sits with a blown motor, but that will be fixed
and back on the road again one of these years.
edit on 4-1-2013 by severdsoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 06:34 AM
link   
reply to post by marbles87

Just because we don't like it doesn't mean it's unjust. We live here. These are the rules. I don't have a problem paying 75.00 a year. But there are other things like mandatory car insurance with a certain amount of coverage that i do have a problem with 100.00 a MONTH !

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by marbles87
reply to post by Erich94

When I worked for the state of Nevada. I did registrations over $2500 and that was the 3rd year registration. Some people got stuck with $600 registrations and they had no idea because the dealer put first year in with the total of the vehicle. It's sickening.

Why volunteer to give the Feds more money when they just waste it.
edit on 3-1-2013 by marbles87 because: (no reason given)

Again, we seem to be dealing with low-information posters here. Nobody is volunteering to give the "Feds" anything. The vehicle registration fee in every case goes to the states and counties. As does the annual tangible property tax and the sales/use tax when first registered.
And to the poster above who complained about the feds getting the tax that is added on to a maintenance bill, that again is a state sales tax with (sometimes) a county or local component.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

What are you getting at? That there isn't enough money to pay the police with the current taxes we pay?

Ok most states take city and state taxes and those that don't have gambling. My problem is the govenment must keep adding new fees and taxes to keep paying for the current system. Trust me mark my words. Every year you will have to register your weapons so that we can pay for these guards in schools. Where else will they get the money. When I put gas in the car the city and state collect on it don't kid yourself. A gallon of gas is exploited by the feds more than anything else. You know that .9c to the end of the price... Goes to the govenment. The problem is all the loop holes where the bigger companies should pay their fair share like everyone else but they don't. A flat tax and only discounts are given for charities and green research and development. We need to stop the tax breaks because the company and the politians are friends. The big businesses are crippling us with how little they pay less than 20% in most cases while everyone else pays double.

At what point do we tell the govenment you're not getting any more money till your money problems are fixed if we can help it. It's like the government is addicted to money and we keep giving them money so they don't get withdrawal symptoms. We need to throw the government in rehab and cut them off.
edit on 4-1-2013 by marbles87 because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-1-2013 by marbles87 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by AMERICANSTRONG

This system of taxation and spending is so out control. I realize some are so accustomed to it, that it's normal and maybe mildly egregious, death and taxes oh so funny.

But think about it. For many work dominates our life. Our one life on this Earth is dominated by work. For most, 5 our of 7 days spent working. We spent so much of our youth, not learning, but gaining certificates to prove we can work. I mean holy s%%%, work is our life. And then some guy tells us that 50% of everything we work for has to be paid to him. And it keeps going up and up. And everything you do, they keep taking more and more.

It quite literally makes me sick.

I've had these same feelings for quite some time now.
But what do you think we can do about it?
That's a riddle yet to be solved.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by VeritasAequitas

There are over 60,000,000 statutes on the books. Ignorance of the 1/60,000,000 that they throw at you 'is' an excuse.

BTW the shills who are saying that we need to pay the registration foir the 'roads' unless it is going to a developer paid subdevision the newiet of those roads is 20 years old. What they call maintainance is sending out five LA city maintainance workers to simply throw down cheap asphalt to cover a pothole and never address why the pothole developed in the first place. They are covering the problem not fixing it and charging us top dollar to do so.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Taxing someone for using their property is feudalism, and is one of the reasons why we broke away from monarchs in the first place.

All rights derive from property. It is ludicrous that we need a license to operate our property. Of course, it goes back to state-sanctioned "safety." The American people are cowards who need the government to hold their hands.

I say phooey on that. We need to take back our rights. If you feel the need to be kept safe, then don't leave your house, or do something more ingenious than relying on the government to protect you.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by skepticconwatcher

Just because we don't like it doesn't mean it's unjust. We live here. These are the rules. I don't have a problem paying 75.00 a year. But there are other things like mandatory car insurance with a certain amount of coverage that i do have a problem with 100.00 a MONTH !

You don't mind it because you don't understand the concepts of feudalism.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by marbles87
reply to post by Ahabstar

. You know that .9c to the end of the price... Goes to the govenment. .

I realize that you're probably just repeating some garbage fact that someone told you. But let's not scatter the garbage around any more. The feds don't tack on that .9 cents at the end of the price. The federal tax, an excise tax btw, is 18.4 cents/gallon on gasoline and 6 cents more per gallon on diesel. State taxes add another 31`.1 cents/gallon, on average.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by dorkfish87

How is it unjust? They tax your house yearly

Another example of feudalism. Tell me, if somebody owns something, how is taxing them for owning it "just?"

I mean, I thought that was one of the reasons for the revolutionary war?

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by F4guy

I stand corrected. On the 9/10s it was my understanding the that government took it when fuel was so cheap that it didn't collect tax. How much tax can be collected on .25$ a gallon?

Now it seems they are saying its because we will ignore .09$ every 10 gallons.

I digress

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by dorkfish87
That's an oligarchy for you

And while I don't really agree with being over taxed, refusing to be taxed is a bit silly, especially if you use the government systems.

And they aren't taxing you yearly to prove you still maintain ownership, it's their way of charging you for using their road systems

Then tear down the road systems. We'll carve them out the way they used to be made, from daily use.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by LewsTherinThelamon

Very true. Gravel roads once compacted over use will be like concrete. Kinda like making a fossilized road.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Good lord people...

No, the government cannot restrict your travel or classify it as a "privilage". You most certainly do have the "right" to travel.

Now, if you want to travel on roads that the government has paid for -- you need to pay various taxes and register your vehicle. It's a "pay to play" deal.

You can buy a car, not register it and drive it around your private property all day if you want. If you want to drive on roads to go someplace, then you have to pony up the money,

Roads don't just magically appear and maintain themselves.

If you don't like it, hop on your skateboard.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

What you're not getting is they already take money for these things. Our problem with it is that they keep forcing people to pay to use them because they have no idea how to successfully handle the problems. All we are doing is giving a shopaholic cash and expect them to pay their credit cards off. No they just go buy more stuff till they get more money and then repeat the cycle. Taxes have been taken for city, state, and federal levels from income taxes to pay for roads. Instead of finding better ways to make roads last longer or cheaper they just keep raising taxes and creating bull crap "registrations" to pay for a failing system. Look at how much they take and we have a D on our report card for infastructure hell bridges and roads are crumbling to pieces but you better believe the goverment has plans for new roads we don't need. We make roads wider instead of beefing up public transportation they want more cars on the road so they can get registration money. It's a vicious cycle and the tower of cards has to fail at some point.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   

All taxation systems are a joke it is not only there. I do however see a necessity to tax those that use or benefit from an asset over the rest that does not or odes to a lesser degree. I also can not envision a society structured around the generation of value (material more than any other) working without some form of taxation to keep it going and safe from other competing societies.

One thing that I believe it is extremely short sighted is to tax energy at the last step of the consumer line. From gasoline to electricity there should be no tax to consumers. Energy is a factor of production, tax revenues. There is no sane reason to hinder production in this way. In Europe the issue is so grave that if the price of oil continues to escalate as predicted there will be tax revenue issues as the population decreases consumption due to its high cost.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Panic2k11

I know someone who never drove a car ever. Every year they took her money and put it toward roads through taxes. There is no way to nit pick who pays what it's too complex and a strain on resources to do so. What the goverment needs to do is consolidate what it currently takes from citizens as a whole through taxes. Income, vehicle tags, property tax and the like and give us a figure we can wrap our head around. Don't just say pay your taxes for the roads and oh yeah your registration that's for roads too. Our system only paints over the leak by creating bull crap ways of stealing money instead of fixing the hole by reducing spending and putting more thought into infastructure planning and more carefully spread the funds successfully.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Go buy a used car from someone else in cash. Take it home. Don't bother going to the DMV. Drive it around your private property. You aren't paying any taxes other than the fuel surcharge/tax.

You can even get around that by converting it to a bio diesel, and collect left over fry oil with a backpack and a bicycle.

I'm not sure people here understand just how outrageously expensive it is to maintain roads. Most states get federal subsidies because they simply can't afford to do it themselves (even with all the various taxes).

If you buy an ATV (4-wheeler ect) you get a maufacturer's certificate of origin. I know, because I've seen them. Usually the dealership will give it to you when it's purchased. Now, what you do with it (like take it to the DMV) is up to you. There isn't a law saying that if you buy a vehicle it HAS to be registered.

It only has to be registered and titled if you want to drive it on the public road system that is supported and paid for by the various taxes. And yes, there are a lot of them.

Like I said, it's pay to play.
edit on 4-1-2013 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Taxation is just a lazy governments way of keeping the system going. Its a demonstration of ineptness and incompetency. Although taxation sucks, the state of Maryland uses 12 bucks of every registration fee to fund their Maryland State Police helicopter program, which includes both police and medevac duties. No charge to the patient. Its a pretty economical and responsible way to fund an expensive service that is vital to the fire/EMS system. This is a rare and unique example, I realize.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join