It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vehicle registration is unjust tax.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Ok so say you buy a car. When you make your purchase you pay sales tax, title (tax), and tags (tax). All that money goes to the government. So after one year your registration expires and the goverment forces you to pay again(tax) to prove you still own the vehicle.

Now whoever has a vehicle must put fuel in it. A gallon of gas collects tax for the goverment over 15 times. Sales tax, EPA taxs, profits tax on the station that sells it, employee tax for the workers and so forth.

Now again the Feds will get tax on the matainence I do on the vehicle.

My brother had to go to the police station to get info and was talking to the cops and he told them that we won't be registering our car again because it's unjust and there is no reason we need to register every year because until we sell it the registration won't change and it's just a tax that the government is forcing everyone to pay but call it something else.

Now let's put this in context to a gun which the cops seemed to listen closely too. It's like you register your gun then have to pay every year to prove you still own the gun even though you paid tax when you bought it tax for the FBI to check your record and tax on every round you put through the barrel. The cops were like "f**k that" but then my bro said why do you give the government money every year to own your car?

Now some may say "what about the roads" well we pay income tax that goes to infastructure.

Now I believe everyone should register their car to show owner ship and carry insurance but not pay a tax to drive it every year.

Thoughts?

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Great points there. I must say that I agree with you. It doesn't seem to make sense that we should pay to prove that we still own the vehicle each and every year.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Erich94

When I worked for the state of Nevada. I did registrations over $2500 and that was the 3rd year registration. Some people got stuck with $600 registrations and they had no idea because the dealer put first year in with the total of the vehicle. It's sickening.

Why volunteer to give the Feds more money when they just waste it.
edit on 3-1-2013 by marbles87 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:51 PM
link   
I was wondering why I still had a 2009 tag on my car

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by marbles87

This system of taxation and spending is so out control. I realize some are so accustomed to it, that it's normal and maybe mildly egregious, death and taxes oh so funny.

But think about it. For many work dominates our life. Our one life on this Earth is dominated by work. For most, 5 our of 7 days spent working. We spent so much of our youth, not learning, but gaining certificates to prove we can work. I mean holy s%%%, work is our life. And then some guy tells us that 50% of everything we work for has to be paid to him. And it keeps going up and up. And everything you do, they keep taking more and more.

It quite literally makes me sick.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:53 PM
link   
How is it unjust? They tax your house yearly

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:54 PM
link   
S&F OP! I agree one hundred and ten percent. How we have allowed this ridiculous and unjust taxation is beyond me. I am also surprised that lawmakers haven't figured out how to do this with guns yet...though it may happen? Tax everything right? Tea parties all around!

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by dorkfish87

That's unjust as well. When you pay 10k in taxes to buy a house they don't need to keep taking money to prove you still live there. There is no such thing as owning a house any more. Every year you must pay to own it so do you really own it or are you just borrowing it until you die from the goverment.

The goverment is a business that forces their customers to come back every year or they throw them in jail instead of getting new customers/citizens they just tax the hell out of the ones they currently have.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Ya, it's unfair. But that's what happens when you elect someone to speak for you.

People are crying that they're taking away their freedoms, but they're giving them away when they vote for someone to speak and act for them.

Don't vote. You can speak up for yourself, you can act for yourself.

You can call them on it if a person that you didn't elect does something that effects you. Because you didn't vote for them to do that.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by randomname

Never voted. I would love to vote. Turd sandwich or douche. Neither gets my vote and that goes for all office positions. I would have voted for Ron Paul but it seems he didn't want to be president since he wasn't on the ballot.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 12:11 AM
link   
That's an oligarchy for you

And while I don't really agree with being over taxed, refusing to be taxed is a bit silly, especially if you use the government systems.

And they aren't taxing you yearly to prove you still maintain ownership, it's their way of charging you for using their road systems

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Income tax pays for infastructure. Registration pays those happy faces at the DMV. I'm not saying I don't want to be taxed. Hell tax me fair and I'll pay it with a smile. But when you pay $3,000 in taxes to buy the car tell me how the goverment didn't get money. And the goverment makes a killing on gas which you have to use if you own a car. Oil companies made record profits. Wanna know why they pay little to no tax on billions in revenue but I must pay out the ass to have the car.

Just follow the money when it comes to fuel. The goverment double dips, triple dips, 10x dips, 20x dips I mean there isn't a step in the process that fuel makes that the goverment isn't taking a cut and then to get me again for registration? Come on.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by dorkfish87
That's an oligarchy for you

And while I don't really agree with being over taxed, refusing to be taxed is a bit silly, especially if you use the government systems.

And they aren't taxing you yearly to prove you still maintain ownership, it's their way of charging you for using their road systems

Waidddaminute...

"their road systems"? Who paid for them to build those roads? That's right...we the people paid for all those roads. They belong to all of us.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 12:25 AM
link   
If they belong to all of us we should all pay for it.

For example I do not have kids, likely wont ever have kids. Why am I taxed to pay for schools?

You can't just pick and choose which taxes you like to pay and not. If you truly find it unfair, work to change it

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Ok so when my income tax is taken for infastructure and registration is infastructure it's double dipping. The problem is the goverment is using every avenue to gather money because they hemorrhage funds. They use whatever tax money they can get to cover whatever they can... Poorly. It's not my fault the government is terrible with a check book. Trust me we will be seeing yearly registration of firearms and those funds will be divided up like the rest of the wasted money to cover short falls in schools, roads, city works, ect.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Ok problem solved sell your car, go on Craigslist buy a tent and a bicycle "tax free" and stop paying income taxes since they are voluntary.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by shortyboy

Evil Kanevil couldn't make that jump man. How did we go from hey why am I paying to show that I own my car every year to I want to be a homeless bum? Why do people do this. Is this human nature?

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by marbles87

yep its a scam..

and dont forget that is tax per gallon & we all buy 15 to 20 gallons..

CAFR.

not only is the Federal Reserve a scam

but there scamming the fake money..

and they have billions..

scam after scam..

its absolutely a waste of resources for us & the DMV to keep paying a tax to let them know you still own your vehicle when we all do that when selling a vehicle.

same goes for property tax..

you are not alone in this line of thinking..

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by shortyboy

Are you talking about a license plate sticker or windshield sticker? The former goes to the state and the latter to the city or town. There are so many taxes because of the different levels of government. For example, instead of 4 levels of police (local, sheriff/county, state, federal not to mention ATF DEA etc) would you rather have a national police force? I say no, because a national force would be less likely to cut you a break. I have had juvenile charges never prosecuted after arrest because of friendly officers, or what about the time my brother was pulled over after 2 glasses of wine and given a breathalyzer 2 hours later at the station because the officer used discretion?

Local and state governments need to make money somehow, so the law gets creative. Is it unjust? Depends on how you would feel about the federal government having more control and influence in your life. Personally, I would prefer my neighbor to manage local interests.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Oh it is voluntary. I walk everywhere, my choice btw and not circumstance. I can only imagine how much I save by not using cars, just in taxes alone

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join