It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I got a DUI

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   
So, I got a DUI last night, whoops. This will be my first traffic violation ever so I'm hoping they don't get me too bad. Though, who knows. Anyone have any advice?

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   
hope u have allot of money... and hope your job doesn't rely on having a clean driving record or you have a job driving...

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Ketzer22

Don't drink and drive?

Not trying to be flippant, but that's the first thing that comes to mind.

I'm glad you are okay and no one was hurt. And just think....January 1 is a great day for new resolutions!

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ketzer22
So, I got a DUI last night, whoops. This will be my first traffic violation ever so I'm hoping they don't get me too bad. Though, who knows. Anyone have any advice?

Get a lawyer who's been through this a few times. They can navigate the bureaucratic haze better than you can. And bring money. There's a lot of money to be masde off DUIs and this time, you are the bank.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Don't drink and drive

But it would probably help if you voluntarily did a drug/alcohol assessment and a DUI Victims panel before you're ordered to.And as stated above, get a good lawyer. It's kind of sad how easy people can get off for drunk driving, but oh well.

edit on 1-1-2013 by forgetmenot because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Yea- that would've been the obvious choice, but alas, not the best choices are made whilst drunk. Luckily I don't have a job that requires having a clean driving record or anything like that...

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
Don't drink and drive?

I'll take the question mark away:
Don't drink and drive.

You were lucky no-one was hurt. 24 years ago I lost a friend to a drunk-driver. I'm sure he had no intention of killing someone that night as he went in the car tipsy. But he did. He "lost" 3 years of his life, having to spend them in prison. My friend got to live until she was 14, she lost all the other years she could have had. Just beacuse he felt he was capable of driving under the influence of alcohol.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by aspiechick

A friend of mine got in an accident with a drunk driver, my friend was fine but his 3 month old baby died. The drunk driver got 2 years and it wasn't his first offense. It's a maddening situation all the way around.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Start to get familiar with your local public transportation. Maybe try to see who will be willing to give you rides and such when you need them.

Other than that, just be ready for what will be handed down to you. You may have to adjust your life for the next few months/year.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Be thankful its only your licence that will be lost

Notice how the drunk guy doesnt even seem bothered that he's just killed someone, and notice how you say "whoops" for doing something so dumb and dangerous.

I think its disgusting. There is NO need to drink and drive, EVER! Why would you even post it on here? You think its funny??

I hope they throw you in jail as a lesson
edit on 1-1-2013 by AmberLeaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Unless you are an Illegal Alien you are screwed. DUI's are the biggest money makers for any city there is. You are going to pay thousands of dollars for even the first one. Lawyers will take your money too but as long as you can keep paying them they will keep you out of jail so you can keep paying them.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ketzer22

If you live in the US, (depending on your state) you will be forced to put a breathalyzer machine in your car for 6-12 months... You will also pay huge fines and will need to do alcohol counseling.

Best advice... NEVER DO IT AGAIN... Because if you think they (the DA/Police) are tough the first time around, a 2nd DUI will likely ruin your life...

Treat this as a learning moment in life and grow from it.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Punishment depends on whether you blew or took sobriety tests.

State you live in.

Losing you license is a definite.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Hindsight... is 20/20.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   
You will also be forced to do a Victim Impact Panel, where you sit through a 60-90 minute presentation where you listen to folks who've been affected by DUI's by either being a driver who killed someone or a person who lost a loved one...

6 years ago I had a slip up, was caught drinking and driving when i was 21. Luckily for me my charges were dropped down to reckless driving so i don't have a DUI on the record but I did the counseling and was on court supervision. I live in Illinois where its very strict DUI laws, I was just lucky to where I was charged before the mandatory breathalyzer machine was made into law. So i never had to deal with any of that crap, but you likely will...

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   
So, and you want us to feel sorry for you?

Not...

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Request any tapes of the DUI arrest you can get from the police (they need to turn it over if requested) and give that tape to a DUI lawyer to make sure they followed EVERY protocol. If they screwed up 1 thing, you can get the whole thing thrown out...

Most police have dashboard cams now.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   

It really depends on how your local judges are. The next county over, they are aholes. In my county, they believe in second chances. So it really depends.

First off, stop drinking and driving. Saying whoops is belitting what is a very serious situation. So I am half tempted to not help you.

But start taking driver improvement, drinking courses now, before anyone tells you too. If you have a problem, join AA.If you have a bigger problem, join NA.

Get a lawyer.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I'm smart enough to drink at home.

It's your own dam fault, that you got busted for it.

How my x walked away from 3 is beyond me. But, I was dead smart never to get pulled over by 1. And, learned my lesson after I fell asleep at the wheel.

You deserve what you get.

I have met officers, that should of have pulled me over and got lucky.

I learned my lesson.

Drink at home dude.

Otherwise, I have no sympathy.
edit on 1-1-2013 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

Yea Im with you Manhater... I will never understand how people get more than 1... Not saying that 1 DUI is okay, but mistakes happen I get that. But to those people who don't learn from it just amazes me...

DUI's are a real problem in this country today. Learn from friends, family members, people you just know who've been affected by DUI... Drinking and Driving just isnt worth it. A cab ride is typically $25 or so to get home. A DUI will cost you over $5k.... Think about it...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join