It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I got a DUI

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

My husband got a third because he knew how much he could drink in drive. He hadn't drunk in years but was depressed over a death. What he forgot was that his meds changed, and interacted with alcohol a lot more. He barely blew a .08, so it wasn't like he was drinking a lot.

He got a first one when he was a stupid teen, but they didn't take it off his record.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   
It took me falling asleep at wheel, to take things seriously.

Officers, have seen walk me in a shop and buying water after a 2hr drive.
Officers, have seen me picking up friends that can't fit in a small car...
Officers, sent my x down the street, while I had to pick him up..drunk.

I don't drink and drive anymore.

No matter the close calls I have ever had,falling asleep at the wheel a block away doesn't amount to it.

I learned that lesson.

I was lucky enough not to hit anyone head on.

The roads were dead at the time.

That was enough for me.

But what is funny, officers have pulled me over when I'm stone cold sober...

I can't figure it out.
edit on 1-1-2013 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

After 3 has his license been revoked completely or is he serving a lengthy suspension?

Anyways, sorry that your husband is dealing with all of that. Must be tough.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

You get a good lawyer, your license is not suspended.

Who told you that?

I have never had a DUI

My x has had 3

and is still driving...

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

Yea, I paid a BOAT load of money to my lawyer to get my DUI charge dropped. I also didn't blow, which helps...

I probably paid close to $10k in lawyer, court fees, counseling, etc... and this happened back in 2005. I can't even imagine what a good lawyer would cost today...

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

His DUIs came around the time of our Divorce....

Mister, now I read the Bible...

Annoying...

He got off on all accounts.

Him using me, and his DUIs, that I was so hoping for that he would get busted on.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Just read the Bible, and they'll let you go.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Ketzer22

Explanation: S&F!

I am sorry to read that you have compromized yourself and endangered yourself and others.

Acknowledging you have a problem is the very 1st step!

You just took that step!

Well done!

Simple solutions that I can offer .. [note I am not an expert at all ok .. take this information at your own risk ok]

1stly Represent yourself! ... This removes all those costly lawyers 'fees'!

2ndly Plead guilty and take the rap for this! Basically be remorsefull and accepting of your fate as you throw yourself upon the MERCY of the court. [but dont expect that to be forth coming]

3rdly Explain to the court your recent, current and near future financial and employment position so that it can be deeply considered by the judge during sentencing and hope for the best [again ..dont expect that to occur]

4th Learn from your mistakes and try some of the things suggested by my fellow members in this thread i.e. Drink at home ... or get a designated driver/taxi.

Personal Disclosure: I hope that you act safely in future 1st and then you can have as much fun as you can possibly get. Life is short ... please don't waste it [yours and or anybody elses] ok.

Goodluck!

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   

That's all I got.

You're lucky you didn't kill anybody. The next time you choose to endanger everybody on the road with your irresponsible behavior, and a death trap known as a vehicle please think twice.

~Tenth
edit on 1/1/2013 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Don't drink and drive!!!! Ever!!! It is so ignorant!

I didn't read through all the comments but definitely get a lawyer who deals with DUI's.

My husband got a DUI and got a lawyer. He refused the breath test. So that helped actually.

Very ignorant to drive drunk. He could have really hurt somebody, he ran into the back of a lady's car. Thankfully she wasn't hurt. And she didn't sue us either.

But the lawyer ended costing around 3000 and the fines were around 1000. So all in all not worth it to drive drunk.

He went to classes for four Saturday's, and I was his driver for 5 months. His liscence was suspended for 90 days because he refused the breath test and the reason I had to be his driver for longer was because he totaled his truck.

But here's the thing, since he lawyered up, he's not marked as a DUI offender. Which we don't even know how that worked.
edit on 1-1-2013 by natalia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   
This is horribly embarrassing and I hate myself for it but I'm just finishing up with my DUI case. I was at home drinking, fell asleep reading and woke up to a nasty allergic reaction to something. Didn't feel drunk at all, didn't even think about it and hopped in my car to go get some Benadryl. Got popped, barely blew over. Was handcuffed, taken to the police station and processed. I couldn't believe it was happening as I diligently take cabs if I've had a few. The cop ended up driving me home because I was too mortified to call family and was going to take a cab.

Get a lawyer. I got a DUI lawyer and ended up paying him about $4,000 up front. If you can't afford your own it really is in your best interest to get one appointed to you. They make the whole process much easier.

In my state your license isn't automatically revoked. It takes awhile before you have to meet any requirements. Here I was required to get a breathalyzer installed and get SR-22 insurance. The blow n go is about $60 a month, and the insurance bump was almost negligible. I was surprised by that.

The lawyer advised me to complete the required treatment prior to my sentencing, it shows you realize how serious the whole thing is. For me this consisted of an alcohol assessment, attending a victims panel another class who's name I've forgotten and 4 counseling sessions. The assessment and classes are about $120 a pop, the class is $140 (I think) and the victims panel is $40.

My lawyer kept delaying trials until we got a judge he liked, I plead guilty and my punishment is as follows. $2,400+ in fines of which I about half can be taken off through community service at $10 an hour, one day in jail (still haven't done it but need to REAL soon) and keeping the blow n go for a year (you get to apply the time you've already had the thing to this year). The lawyer did some trickery so if I keep my nose clean for 5 years the thing is taken off my record. This is apparently rather rare.

So for a first offense, I think that's what you're most likely looking at. I was barely over, but it's no excuse and it's important to realize it's your own damn fault, that you screwed up big and you could have killed someone. Even though I drink a lot I was impaired and when piloting a 4k pound vehicle that split second of lost reaction time can mean the death of someone's child. Have a good attitude with the judge, be polite and dress like you're going for a job interview.

Getting that DUI is by far the worst and dumbest thing I've done.

ETA I am not a lawyer and these are just my opinions and personal experiences. Seek legal counsel.
edit on 1-1-2013 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   

And you are bragging about it here? I'd be embarrassed to get one of these.

Shows you have no care for others or yourself if you got into a car drunk.

I was hit by a drunk driver. I have ZERO sympathy for you. Hope you get jail time. Sorry but imo DUI's are NOT something to joke about. You could have killed someone.

The kid who hit me was underage and almost TWICE the legal limit. I have had constant back and neck problems since the accident. I received HORRIBLE treatment because I didnt' have insurance. I got made to feel like it was my fault I was hit by some drunk head on who came into MY lane. It has NOT been fun and I am glad he got a year in jail and fines out the rear. He deserved it, he could have killed me.
edit on 1/1/2013 by mblahnikluver because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

He had to a bunch of classes and got 6 points, which made him lose his job. He had to do several classes for 2 years. We actually begged for a jail sentence because we would rather have that then have him lose his job and insurance. We begged the harda ass judge to not let him lose his insurance because he is bipolar and needed the medication. The judge didn't care.

If I die before that judge, I am coming back to haunt him.

it really wasn't the husband's fault. He is very bipolar and the shrink put him on a medication that made him manic. He is bipolar II which means he is mainly depressed. But these drugs made him manic for over 9 months, despite him telling her over and over again that they were making him manic.

We got a letter from another shrink explaining that his condition was mismanaged, but the judge didn't care about that either.

Yet the guy in front of us, who was caught with a DWI in the middle of the day with his 2 kids in the car, got off.

edit on 1-1-2013 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   
*** we're not here to insult one another or be rude **

Closed.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join