It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Controversy as 200 Utah teachers to be given concealed weapons training in wake of Sandy Hook

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal

Or we can play the "what if" game as well.

A jackhole coward goes and thinks a UT school is next on the list. He/She gets there, confronts a teacher, that is unknown to have a firearm, and the teacher kills the piece of crap, with no real life lost in the process.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Here's a thought...Why don't all of these idiots who constantly tell us what is going to happen if we do this or this, just focus all of their psychic ability on the next mass shooting!!!???

Then we can avoid them all together!!!!

edit on 12/28/2012 by GoOfYFoOt because: he can.....

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74

Ah yes another person saying keep your nose out....that's fine if you do the same when something happens in another country.

I already do that. Your country is non of my business. Piss on it, light it on fire, enslave people, proclaim to live amongst unicorns that vomit rainbows and crap skittles. I don't care.

I have an interest in the USA because my son is an American and is in NYC.

Oh, NYC. A rotten cesspool of BS and failed Liberal Progressive ideals.
Yeah, if my kids were in NYC, I would have a huge issue as well. Not to mention Chicago, most of CA or any other Liberal bastion.
But, don't worry, as NYC has extremely punishing gun restrictions and laws. There is never firearm related crime there and it is always sunny and happy.

Jealous? because we chose not to have a nation with so many guns? no I think not.

Yeah, sure sure.

Freedom? come on you and I know freedom is a lie.

More free then you are in the UK.

That's it I'm out arm your teachers do whatever you want.

Oh geez, thanks for the permission.

Sick of the insanity on ATS at the mo.

Ta-ta then.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   

You'd have 24 other Teachers armed and ready to defend themselves. The chances of a massacre like we see at Sandy Hook would not happen.

And if something similar did happen, the shooter will have targets that are shooting back...allowing time for the kids to make an escape and police to arrive.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Excellent Decision. Provided the teachers will/should go through a mandatory and routine training/useage/maintenance of their CCWs.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by NavyDoc

We have to go with national levels, not Texas. Though I know that gun nuts love to cherry pick information.
Since these massacres and/or accidents can happen anywhere, we will go with national.

In 2012, there were 88 deaths from mass shootings.

www.thenation.com...#

The last year that information has been released for accidental gun deaths was 2008.

In 2008 there were 680 accidental shooting deaths in the United States, with more than 15,500 shooting injuries.

Mind you, these are just deaths, injuries are also a serious threat.

So the chances of a child being inujured are higher than being killed in a mass shooting.

and much, much higher, of beeing hurt by accidental gun shootings.

This doesn't include Trayvon Martin situations where someone "thinks' they are being attacked, and shoot the person.

I can't wait for that to pop up in the news when states try to start arming teachers.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by macman

Or we can play the "what if" game as well.

A jackhole coward goes and thinks a UT school is next on the list. He/She gets there, confronts a teacher, that is unknown to have a firearm, and the teacher kills the piece of crap, with no real life lost in the process.

Ah yes, the Fairy Magical Fluffy Defense theory: that if you arm someone, that the gun in their hand sends magic through their bodies, making them as deadly as a sniper.

That they won't: miss and shoot another student
freeze and do nothing
suck at it and get shot anyways, kids still get killed
don't have the heart to kill someone and everyone gets killed anyways, and the shooter now has an extra gun

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by macman
reply to post by boymonkey74

WOW, you provide a video of an idiot ATF agent, that is messing around with a loaded firearm in a classroom as reason why not to allow teachers to be armed??

I fail to see where the idea of having teachers armed, equates to having them messing with their firearm in this manner.

That is a failed attempt to really stick your nose into the business of a Country that you are not a citizen of.

Personally, I think most Canadians, Brits and Aussies are jealous that we are still allowed to exercise (Kind of at least) our personal freedoms here.

And another comment about other nationalities......out of a 4 page thread, this is the 2nd...good average!....If you cut yourself, do you bleed purple, blue, green.....NO....I think it's red just like all of us here.

You must be SOOOOOO much beter than the rest of the world!!!!

YOU ARE NO BETTER THAN ANY OF US HERE!!!!! WE ALL SHARE THE SAME PLANET!!! WE ARE EQUALS!!

If you think that we're jealous of you! Good for you and keep thinking that if you will. The rest of us will remain RESPECTFUL of others and avoid making racist comments.

And just for the record, I have NOTHING vs the US (I have a lot of family and friends there) or any other nation for that matter. I only have a problem with individuals that think they know all and are better than everyone else!
edit on 28-12-2012 by Teye22 because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-12-2012 by Teye22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

you cannot pick "gun free regions" and they say, oh look, it's a nation-wide problem

here's a State-wide answer ... see Vermont and their "safest state" awards to match their NO license, open carry society

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
we've tried gun free zones, and they just attract killers more. doing the same thing twice and expecting a different result is insanity, changing it up and giving teachers and university students guns is the sane thing to do.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
My wifes school re did background checks on all employees as i imagine all are. They found she has a permit to carry and sent a note that they will have the school psycologist arranging a meeting with her ASAP. She wrote back don't bother you forced me to retire by the end of 20 12 or I would lose $400 a month of my retirement. She's going to keep the letter

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Merlin Lawndart

Originally posted by nixie_nox

From what I understand, other schools implementing similar programs will not even disclose which teachers are carrying. It will be totally anonymous.

Yea, the sky marshall program is a great idea for schools. No thanks, I don't want mystery gun carriers working with my kid.

We have already seen what less guns and not having the means of protecting oneself and others can do. After all, Columbine happened during the years of the last assault weapons ban.

There were also two armed security guards at Columbine. See how well that works??

Saying that ban doesn't work because of Columbine is an extreme example of cherry picking.

The ban started in 1994, anything manufactured before then, can still be legally sold.
Only 18 firearm models were banned.
Gun violence during that period fell overall.

If the ban didn't expire, we would be reaping the benefits of that ban now. The ban was designed to work increasingly.

But thanks to the NRA weakening the ban as much as they did, they allowed the two boys to get their hands on the weapons to shoot up a high school.

edit on 28-12-2012 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

You have made absolutely no sense whatsoever.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
How is training teachers to protect themselves and their students controversial? I don't understand it. Do people honestly want everyone to be victims hiding in a closet for 20 minutes while the cops respond?

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

right back at ya, kiddo
... shall not be infringed ... includes the oh'so dangerous gun free zones.
fix those and rest will take care of itself.

there is no better answer and teachers who are already CCW holders should be carrying at school, already.
NO gun free zones.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by sconner755
Not even sure why this is controversial.

It's not controversial. That's just a buzzword the media loves to use when they disagree with something but want to hide the fact that they're reporting with a bias.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Gun Free School Zones are a 100% SAFE and OSHA approved working environment for psychopathic spree killers. The more certain it's a gun free zone ....outside THEIR guns of course .... the more certain they can be of working uninterrupted for just as long as they have ammunition and evil to sustain the rampage.

Good for Utah in using what they've already had on the books for quite some time. They've ALREADY BEEN legal to carry their permitted weapon into school in Utah. No school shooting recently in that state eh? It's a very dangerous place to be a school shooter when one cannot know which friendly and happy teacher could be the one to shoot you in the back of the head ...to save the children.

Deterrence is in never knowing WHO may become the one backing the threat deterrence is always based on. In Utah, it's even better. Potential killers of children don't even know IF armed people are at any given school. It could be 1...it could be ALL OF THEM. Who knows.... He could fire the first shot to find HIMSELF the 'Duck' in a duck hunt.

Go Utah!
edit on 28-12-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: typos

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

reply to post by MysterX

Both of those scenarios are very real possibilities. Either way, what we don't have is 20 dead kids.

I just hope more school districts follow suit. Train and arm the Teachers. A single security guard will not suffice. All you provide then is one single target, once that is eliminated you have another massacre on students and teachers who have no means to defend themselves.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Talk about the morons leading the idiots.

How'd those well trained armed guards at Columbine work out for you gun nuts? (There were two of them) Not so well.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

GUN FREE ZONES! GUN FREE ZONES! Everyone get up and chant.

How conveniently you forget the shootings that did NOT occur in gun free zones:

Ft. Hood

Arizona: the Gabby Giffords shooting (AZ with some of the loosest gun laws in the Nation

Vang, a hunter who killed 6 other ARMED hunters

Church killing, where concealed carry was allowed

Westroads Mall Shooting, 9 dead, concealed carry was allowed

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join