It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Controversy as 200 Utah teachers to be given concealed weapons training in wake of Sandy Hook

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Controversy as 200 Utah teachers to be given concealed weapons training in wake of Sandy Hook

www.dailymail.co.uk

Utah lawmakers have reacted with contempt for a planned weapons training convention to be held for 200 Utah teachers tomorrow.

The Utah Shooting Sports Council has said they usually gather around a dozen teachers each year for training to carry concealed weapons but this year demand skyrocketed after the tuition was offered for free.

The powerful lobby claims that the Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre in Connecticut has been the catalyst for the massive interest, but Carol Lear, a chief lawyer for the Utah Office of Education said that the move was a 'terrible idea.'
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Like I said in an earlier post, there is no black and white in this world. Only shades of grey. I wonder whether this will resolve anything. I guess it's better to have a first line of defense just in case horrible event should reoccur. Let's hope not. I sincerely hope this will deter potential shooters.

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 28-12-2012 by WhereIsTheBatman because: typo

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by WhereIsTheBatman

Controversial, but in a mad world, possibly a very sane move. Time to ensure the teachers are balanced & pro-government 'eh..?

Lets see where this one goes.

+13 more 
posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   
This isn't that complicated. For thousands of years people have defended themselves with weapons of all sorts. Why wouldn't anybody want all school kids afforded the same protection as the the President's kids.

Not even sure why this is controversial.

+12 more 
posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Reality hits like a ton of bricks.

The more dedicated you are to living in fantasy world the harder it slams down on your head.

At least these teachers arent so delusional they'd ignore a chance to catch up with reality when offered.

Gun-free is a fantasy. Even zealots like Michael Moore concede to that:

And here's the dirty little fact none of us liberals want to discuss: The killer only ceased his slaughter when he saw that cops were swarming onto the school grounds -- i.e, the men with the guns. When he saw the guns a-coming, he stopped the bloodshed and killed himself.
link

Moore saying the same thing LaPierre was mocked for saying. The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I don't see this as controversial either.

Common sense if anything.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Great, then I'm sure they can look forward to an increase in salary as well. It's called "hazard pay".
edit on 28-12-2012 by csimon because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   

result - the teachers will be the first victims in any future utah school shooting

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
We already put trust in teachers to protect our kids for 8 hours a day already. This isn't a big deal.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I see no controversy here, my great grandma use to go to school packing heat 100 years ago. No school shootings back then.

Makes you go hummm......

+4 more 
posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape

result - the teachers will be the first victims in any future utah school shooting

Arent they already?

We're always told of these hero first line teachers and staff who throw themselves futilely at the attacker or use their bodies to cover the bodies of cowering children.

Why not give them something other than "higher moral ground" to fight back with?

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
How long until an overworked Teacher loses it and shoots his/her class?
Or how long until a student gets hold of the firearm and uses it?
Madness complete madness.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   

I think that teachers being legal and trained gun owners...to protect the children is a good idea in theory.

However I do have 2 concerns:

(1) There needs to be an in-depth background check on the teachers; to try and make sure that none of them is going to go crazy; and harm anyone. (How this can be done I am not sure).

(2) How the guns will be stored at the school for quick and easy access by the teachers; and that no one else will have access to them.

I believe in defense...when it is necessary.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
How long until an overworked Teacher loses it and shoots his/her class?
Or how long until a student gets hold of the firearm and uses it?
Madness complete madness.

Yes, maybe we should rethink police having guns too. I mean how long before an overworked cop loses it? How long before somebody grabs a gun from a cop and shoots people.

Madness is planning on not being able to defend the students from crazies with guns.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by sconner755

Do the police get psyche evaluations? they get lots more training to fire a gun.
Teachers are not trained and a 3 day course is not going to make them experts in firearms.
Mind you at least they will get no more chat back from the students.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Do the police get psyche evaluations? they get lots more training to fire a gun.
Teachers are not trained and a 3 day course is not going to make them experts in firearms.

Dude, cops in the US are trigger happy. They will shoot your dog in a fenced in yard, just happened twice in Chicago. I would trust a teacher with a gun any day over a cop.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Yeah Great Idea!!!!

So next time there is a shooting, it will not be one way....it will now be a gun fight....lets just wait and see at the next shooting (I truely hope there are none of course). There will be kids cought in the cross fire and as many will be hit by teachers as the mad gunman...I think it is the worst Idea ever.......

PUT METAL DETECTORS AT EVERY SINGLE ENTRANCE WITH AN ARMED SECURITY GUARD!!!! this would work a lot beter I think.

The problem I think is not to shot the person walking in the school with a gun...Its keeping him outside the school in the first place.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   

That three days is more than the cops get.

Your typical beat cop has to qualify with his service weapons once a year. Which means putting holes in stationary paper at a few different distances.

Same for most in the military who are little more than warehouse workers and delivery boys.

It's a myth that cops and soldiers are super-trained. Sure, there are units that have force on force training and constant refreshers but most of the uniformed folks you see are very under trained.

I've shot with and attended training with enough cops to know I'd sooner trust a "newb" with a gun than a 5 year veteran of any PD. At least the newb hasnt mixed complacency into his poor shooting/handling skills.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Teye22
Yeah Great Idea!!!!

So next time there is a shooting, it will not be one way....it will now be a gun fight....lets just wait and see at the next shooting (I truely hope there are none of course). There will be kids cought in the cross fire and as many will be hit by teachers as the mad gunman...I think it is the worst Idea ever.......

PUT METAL DETECTORS AT EVERY SINGLE ENTRANCE WITH AN ARMED SECURITY GUARD!!!! this would work a lot beter I think.

The problem I think is not to shot the person walking in the school with a gun...Its keeping him outside the school in the first place.

Good.

A running gunfight means opposition to a lunatic trying to kill people.

A sauntering, unopposed slaughter...is just that.

A gunfight is extremely unlikely, but is infinitely preferable to a lunatic sauntering around picking off people one by one, don't you think?

A gunfight will delay a killer, if they desire to survive long enough to kill of course.

The delay will allow time for police to arrive and handle the situation.

No gunfight, means the exact opposite.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join