It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A new paradigm is in play

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by smithjustinb

Originally posted by smithjustinb
Uh. Your idea of this being flawed is what is flawed. Because I can just as easily say," does charity exist?... Well then greed is obviously not natural and your idea is flawed"

Self interest allows us to survive, and the need to survive is natural (which is why our brains operate a certain way to help us survive).

Even if you ignore that, let's look at this, if you told people to ONLY care about others and to do "service to others" - eventually they would tire and lose ways to help others.

If you tell people to ONLY care about themselves, they would always have and be sufficient.

So one IS natural (service to self / self-intense) while the other is something learned.

What about empathy/compassion?

When we feel the suffering of others, it does not feel good. When we help them we can feel their joy (since we felt their suffering in their pain), so even that benefits "OURSELVES".

You sound very "holier than thou".

Not holier "than" anything. Just holy (divine - natural nature). Doesn't mean that I see anyone as less than myself just because I am focusing on my divinity/self-love.

Everything is alright with me. I am just beginning to see things in a different light.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Survival is learned.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Maybe I'm missing the message of this thread. If all you're saying is that it's good to help others, then yes, it's good to help others. Is that about it?

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   

reply to post by arpgme

Survival is learned.

Very good point, but it isn't artificially learned. Survival is something naturally learned, it is not a social CONSTRUCT like this full dedication of "service to others" thing is as compared to natural self interest survival.

edit on 30-12-2012 by arpgme because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Watching this amazing clip, you would not think that there would be so many troubling problems on this little planet.
Truly, an exercise in perspective.

Earth Rising

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by charlyv

I guess itsnowagain is right, I am a hypocrit, because I just just spoke my mind on the welfare state in another post and it does not jive with helping the addicts and alcoholics as I stated earlier. I help those I can I guess, but jaded I am by the place I grew up. Help is one thing, a lifetime of leisure on the public dole is quite another, and I misspoke myself, and I apologize. I guess I do have those limits and prejudices just like everyone else does. If I could go back and redact that line I would, but the time for that has passed. Consider it redacted nonetheless.

Peace...

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 05:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Coopdog

It's never too late. Realization happens when it does.
No one can know anything until they do.
Thank you.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by arpgme

reply to post by arpgme

Survival is learned.

Very good point, but it isn't artificially learned. Survival is something naturally learned, it is not a social CONSTRUCT like this full dedication of "service to others" thing is as compared to natural self interest survival.

We are naturally a social construct. So it makes sense that there is an effective way of existing as that.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by arpgme

reply to post by arpgme

Survival is learned.

We are naturally a social construct. So it makes sense that there is an effective way of existing as that.

You are not a construct. The construct or form is consciousness. Consciousness is known by awareness.
Awareness is not a construct. You are awarensss making an image of light (consciousness). You see what you made.
You see the form of yourself. Nothing forming.

edit on 31-12-2012 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

The earth and all its humans is a social construct. You are not the construct, but are a part of it. Therefore, in the position that you are in serving the construct, serving humanity, can prove to be very productive.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 02:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Coopdog

Brother, you defend your post because "they" attacked. Do not allow
Another to control YOU. IF THEY attack, that is only their aggression,
It is not yours too defend, but theirs too advance. You've done
No wrong, they have by bringing negativity into the equation by
Attacking. Stay the positive course, let " them" try to conquer from
A of aggression and anger. They can't as long as you stay on target.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by JerkyBeer

Personally, I am for giving credit where it is due, even of it hurts. I found myself contradicting myself, and as I was typing the words, I knew I owed this guy an apology, so be it. We are not perfect creatures, and even though I shoot for a better ideal, ideal it is not. Nothing is perfect, but we can all do better, and that was my point. We all have limits to our generosity, and I knew this going into this OP. Thank you very much for your input, but I try my best to be an honest guy, and I was contradicting myself, regardless of how much I did not want to admit it. I just confirmed it int he other post I made, and knew I had to do some sort of retraction in this one to make it valid.

It is what it is applies sometimes...
Peace and be safe.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Coopdog

Dude, contradictions are nothing more than arguing with yourself, though it was voiced in a
Public forum. Apologies are the act of a weakened/depressed soul and from what i have read,
You are neither. Helping others ifs the key too unlocking the hate filled world. Reread your first
Post, do not cave to others. Be GOOD. PERIOD. IF others pigeon hole you into thinking
You are wrong about being good, they are the opposite of good. Trust your insticts, they have
Saved merry life, and, if you learn to feel/trust them, they will save not only yours, but
Those around you. Stay the course, stay . Out.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

"...LOVE your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31
Re the "new paradigm" the 12/21/12 Mayan date is also supposed to represent a shift of consciousness from the Individual to the Collective. See my thread on that also: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 03:53 AM
link   
Thank you, and I stand by the context of my original post, but in order to keep things civil in this place, one's writing and points must be concise and correct. I certainly DID contradict myself, and I knew as I was writing the other post that others may quote it and point this out, thus my desire to make it as right as I could. People in here won't let anything slide...and that is what I like about this place and is exactly what keeps me coming back is the policing of BS by the members here, even if it entangles me from time to time.

I RESPECT ats, and even the picky ones among us. They keep it real, and that is why I like this place even if it scrapes me up from time to time. Keeping it real is one of the main things missing from this world right now, and I know that at least here, people are doing just that and I for one appreciate it.

Peace and be safe...

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join