It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WBC - Westboro Baptist Church to picket Newtown, CT School Shooting

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
We must use our Anti- Terrorist laws in the Patriot Act as well as the NDAA to stop the WBC. The parents , communities, and our nations leaders will be in attendance of these funerals; there safety is of the upmost importance! The actions of the WBC are beyond protesting now,and will only cause more blood-shed.
edit on 16-12-2012 by SJE98 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

So...It seems many bring up the 1st amendment in relation to the WBC haters like it's relevant. It's only relevant if the City, County or State are talking about doing something about these people in ANY official way. That can't be done. It's illegal...and rightly so. We may be a future WBC, as society views it, on issues that are NOT repugnant. Can't go down the path of suppression...even on these morons.

As noted though...the 1st isn't a law over citizens. Like I noted earlier in the thread? Nothing says citizens can't rudely park to block in every WBC car that comes to town while they sleep...so they are stuck in the morning. Parking enforcement can just be busy with the funeral.. ya know?
No Constitutional issue there. Just citizens self-policing those who would abuse the rights we all have.

I think you're missing the larger point here. Just like asking for gun control (begging the government to infringe) people ask for speech restrictions when these people come around. They create a situation, just like mass shooter, where people will glady give up their own rights in an effort to take someone else's away.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
This just in from one of the groups ready to block this group if they appear,

I'm pasting a status from The CT United Ride:

UPDATE: as of 1:45pm the CT State Police have advised us that there is no specific organized protest they know of. With the volume of media and law enforcement in the tight area - They have requested we STAND DOWN for today with the level of security already required for President Obama's visit. They will advise if specific protests are to occur at any pending funerals and we will at that time respond accordingly. We want peace to be with the families this evening and we will respect there request and have NO Organized response. I am proud of all of you and we will repost as soon as we have accurate info to respond to.

Just wanted to pass this along..

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthSeekerMike

Nice point and it has its merits.
Free speech though has its limits.
You say the wrong thing, to the wrong person, at the wrong time and all the constitutional lawyers in all the world ain't gonna help you.
If WBC want to peddle their poison they should be free to do so. Hell, they can blog it.
Going to a funeral is wrong though. They will either cause harm to those bereaved or bring harm on themselves.
I'm all for shooting them to be frank. As far as I can see they do nothing good, only make the world a worse place.

Anyway, in the UK, if they did this and someone snapped and stomped them, the court would acquit on the grounds of incitement.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Doubled up.
edit on 16-12-2012 by SprocketUK because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by TruthSeekerMike

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

So...It seems many bring up the 1st amendment in relation to the WBC haters like it's relevant. It's only relevant if the City, County or State are talking about doing something about these people in ANY official way. That can't be done. It's illegal...and rightly so. We may be a future WBC, as society views it, on issues that are NOT repugnant. Can't go down the path of suppression...even on these morons.

As noted though...the 1st isn't a law over citizens. Like I noted earlier in the thread? Nothing says citizens can't rudely park to block in every WBC car that comes to town while they sleep...so they are stuck in the morning. Parking enforcement can just be busy with the funeral.. ya know?
No Constitutional issue there. Just citizens self-policing those who would abuse the rights we all have.

I think you're missing the larger point here. Just like asking for gun control (begging the government to infringe) people ask for speech restrictions when these people come around. They create a situation, just like mass shooter, where people will glady give up their own rights in an effort to take someone else's away.

No, the point that Wrabbit is making (I believe) is that it is up to the citizens (not the government) to determine what is and is not acceptable speech in that community. None of the amendments restrict citizens from acting, they only restrict the government from acting. As long as it is non-violent I have no problem with individual citizens disrupting WBC's plans.

There is a similar issue with flag burning. I fully support flag burning as an expression of free speech. On the other hand, if I see you burning a flag, I am likely to assault you. The 1st amendment protects you from the government, it doesn't protect you from me.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by summer5

I pray there are kind hearted individuals that again form a human shield against these hate monguers.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup

Originally posted by g146541

They do have something right in my opinion though, god did send that shooter to murder those babies.
I believe in an all powerful god, and nothing happens without his/her/our consent and planning.
Let westboro continue to press their rights, then we can keep ours as well.

Then you are as deranged and sick as they are...

Your God would think you were disgusting for saying such thing.

God gave people FREE WILL, he/she doesn't instruct people or plan these killings.

Aaaah, i see.
I am sick because I support peoples rights, natural or god given rights at that.
My "god" does not place such things as guilt or disgust, my god is more powerful than your beliefs.
My god is all knowing, all seeing and free will is a powerful illusion.
Do things happen without your gods consent or knowing??

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   

edit on 16-12-2012 by RobinB022 because: Excuse me

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

No you're sick because you think God sent the gunman to kill those babies.

If your god really did that then your god is a dick.
edit on 16/12/12 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
reply to post by g146541

No you're sick because you think God sent the gunman to kill those babies.

If your god really did that then your god is a dick.
edit on 16/12/12 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

I see...
You still did not answer the question, please answer??
Do things happen without your gods consent or knowing??

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   

They do have something right in my opinion though, god did send that shooter to murder those babies.
I believe in an all powerful god, and nothing happens without his/her/our consent and planning.

I think I just walked into the Twilight Zone.
Am I reading this correctly?! I must not be, gonna get some coffee and be back.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThisToiletEarth

I think I just walked into the Twilight Zone.
Am I reading this correctly?! I must not be, gonna get some coffee and be back.

You are an atheist or you do not believe your god is all powerful?
This is a question and not an attack, honestly.
I believe my god to be all powerful.
Please, your opinion?

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

"My god" I'm not sure what you mean?

If you're talking about the God of the Abrahamic faiths, that the Jews invented because they needed to give their lives meaning because of persecution etc, then I have no answer.

I don't have a god.

I don't live my life under the impression/delusion that there is a God who sends down or instructs mentally deranged young men to go and shoot up schools and babies in order to communicate some sort of cryptic message about changing our ways.., in fact, it's exactly this kind of "logic" and "reasoning" that keeps me away from the "god" you speak of.

I've had more debates on ATS about God than I care to remember and I'm pretty much argued out, ya know?

So I'm not getting into another pointless argument whereby you tell me how pointless and void my life is without god.

Cheers.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   

edit on 16-12-2012 by King Seesar because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I sure hope this report is false...

tJust got word from govt contact that the Westboro Church is being prepared for a 6 O'Clock Demonstration. The area around the downtown, St Rose and other surrounding areas are being cleared in anticipation potential conflicts/violence. Be alert in town of the potential for issues that may arise from their presence.
Like · · Follow Post · about a minute ago near Newtown,

If this turns out to be true they are not near the immediate location of tonights gathering. However, from my understanding there will be many around this location of the church at the time of the event to show their support for the victims.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
OMG! People please take your off topic comments to another thread. This thread has stayed on topic I would like to keep it that way.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   

You are an atheist or you do not believe your god is all powerful?
This is a question and not an attack, honestly.
I believe my god to be all powerful.
Please, your opinion?

In your first question you say "your god".
Then the last question you say "my god".

I need not say anymore.

I am sorry summer5. I'm done even responding to him. Let him u2u me.

My apologies.

edit on 16-12-2012 by ThisToiletEarth because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-12-2012 by ThisToiletEarth because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Fair enough, it seems you are athiest.
I do not agree, but I will not bash either.
Truly none of us can know everything about our personal belief of god.
I choose to believe in an all powerful god, and not the guilt ridden god of abraham either.
Thank you for the straight answer though.

My belief helps me understand life as it happens, I may be wrong.
If I am wrong, I don't want any part of that god, if I'm right, then all is good.
Cheers back at ya!

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Their speech is also covered by free speech, like it or not. If any government entity were to step in and try to silence them, as much as I despise these guys, I would be on their side. The only way they can be dealt with, is through private peaceful means, like blocking them from sight like many have been doing.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join