It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More Than a Two Dozen Killed, Including Children, at Connecticut Elementary School Shooting

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by NarrowGate

Couldn't agree more

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by aivlas
reply to post by nosacrificenofreedom

It's not like criminals wont just step up the violence in response to guns being everywhere, oh no they would just stop and crime would vanish over night

Oh yes they would. Look at towns with huge police forces. No crime. Look at towns with none - high crime.

it is a simple concept. If you think you might get shot, you are less likely to try to shoot. I know it is hard for you to put yourself in the mind of a killer, but if you think about it it is logical.

That's why so many armed robbers/killers get shot. They think their victim is unarmed. Had they known they were armed, they probably wouldn't be trying in the first place.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I'm not stating an opinion on gun control but the people that are defending their guns keep saying that people will use any weapon if they want to hurt people.. why is it that only a gun can be used for defense?

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by NarrowGate

Originally posted by BonesStones

Originally posted by jhn7537
CBS station airs this image, says it is Ryan Lanza. Says he is NOT under arrest, though he is in handcuffs.

Wow, thats definitely the Ryan from the Facebook profile.

Are they twins!? Someone find out quick.

Start a new thread please.

His brother Adam was the shooter, and he's 20.

The information that comes out in the media rush immediately following an event is often wrong.

This is why some 9/11 theories still have legs, they're using early incorrect quotes.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by AGWskeptic

Nice. Ignorance denied.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by PrincessTofu

If someone is shooting at me I don't want to have to flick out a knife and throw it at their eyeball....

I will surely mess that up and die.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by AGWskeptic

Originally posted by NarrowGate

Originally posted by BonesStones

Originally posted by jhn7537
CBS station airs this image, says it is Ryan Lanza. Says he is NOT under arrest, though he is in handcuffs.

Wow, thats definitely the Ryan from the Facebook profile.

Are they twins!? Someone find out quick.

Start a new thread please.

His brother Adam was the shooter, and he's 20.

The information that comes out in the media rush immediately following an event is often wrong.

This is why some 9/11 theories still have legs, they're using early incorrect quotes.

Yeah, Im just pointing out that the guy thats photo was smeared all over the media was actually the brother..not someone who was completely unrelated to the incident. He was posting on this facebook that it wasnt him, he was at work. Like he didnt even know what had happened..

link   

I have to disagree with you here. The information that comes out first is most often the correct information and then they are told to spin it by the media bosses and we get the discrepancies later on. Secondary information is usually manipulated information.

As for 9-11-2001 fox news reported cargo planes and later it was changed to passenger planes, AFTER EVERYONE said they were cargo/military planes *with no windows and a blue logo*.

Try again!

link   

I look at it more along the lines of if they KNOW everyone is ARMED (like people are saying) then they would just become more violent, that's how they make a living they aren't going to stop.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by PrincessTofu
I'm not stating an opinion on gun control but the people that are defending their guns keep saying that people will use any weapon if they want to hurt people.. why is it that only a gun can be used for defense?

I'm not stating an opinion, but here's my opinion?

The gun debate will be later, as the mods have repeatedly said in this thread.

Save it for later.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by aivlas

Dude, no offense but what are you talking about. Criminals do not make a living being violent. There is plenty of non-violent illegal money out there.

Dumb criminals go to prison and get killed being violent...

The only ones that would turn it up a notch are the really bad ones. They will die off fast... along with the culture of robbery.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   

It was a question out of curiosity. You are correct, it is a bit off main topic. Sorry about that.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   

We are talking about a hypothetical situation where everyone is armed and in my view in that situation violent crime would escalate as non violent crime would not be viable.

And yes I realise some non violent crimes would still be viable.
edit on 14-12-2012 by aivlas because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by aivlas
reply to post by nosacrificenofreedom

It's not like criminals wont just step up the violence in response to guns being everywhere, oh no they would just stop and crime would vanish over night

Correct. The problem with weapons are they are an outlet for an imbalanced population and the only way to stop the violence would be through education! Social problems are a cause to shootings like this and though I realize banning weapons will not stop the violence, it will cause less access to the amount of deaths one man can inflict!
The thinking that by handing out weapons will stop this is illogical! Most sane people will not be likely to carry weapons let alone use them, unless their own lives are in jeopardy and even in this case it's questionable at best! Then we have to consider that most robberies would turn to murder thefts as would most home invasions! Handing out weapons causes more problems then it solves! The only way to end the violence is to end the reasons for the violence!
Though I realize that taking guns from law biding citizens may not be the solution to such a complex issue! We must take into consideration that to fix this issue will require more thought then just to hand everyone guns!
I do think however that making it more difficult to obtain concealed weapons will make it harder to get a gun into a school! I also think that metal detectors and armed guards should be required at every school! We must be perseverant in our resolve to bring an end to such actions but we must also remain vigilant in the actions we take
to prevent such incidents!

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by aivlas

I know of a lot of ways criminals get money without violence. None of them would be subverted if we all had guns.... no it would make no difference to the flow of cash.

Aah I am done though, we will get in trouble. Maybe respond once I won't respond back though, we are getting off topic.
edit on 14-12-2012 by NarrowGate because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I thought this might be helpful, and I was happy (in light of this serious tragedy) to receive this proactive note from my daughter's school. I redacted names or deleted them, but left up the website provided as a resource center from her school to yours.

Dear Parents, Faculty, and Staff,

I am writing this letter to you today with a heavy heart. Earlier this afternoon I became aware of the Connecticut elementary school tragedy that took place this morning. I cannot imagine the pain, sorrow, and grief that the families of the children and school staff are feeling right now. As parents we are reminded that each day is precious and that the safety of our children is our top priority.

It is difficult to comprehend a tragedy of this scope. It challenges us on so many levels. Across this nation communities are pulling together to provide comfort and reassurance in this time of need. We are truly fortunate to live and work in a community that is so supportive and caring. It is that strength of community in North Reading that helps us face unimaginable acts such as those we are dealing with today.

When a tragedy strikes, everyone's sense of security becomes uncertain. Adults and children will have many questions that have no real answers. Please visit the school district website (www.north-reading.k12.ma.us) under District News for an advisory that provides tips for parents and teachers when talking to children about tragic events like this. I hope that you find this information helpful as you talk with your children this weekend.

Words cannot adequately express my feelings of sadness and sympathy. Please keep the Newtown, Connecticut community in your thoughts and prayers.

Here's a better link, their server crashed: www.nasponline.org...

Source: my email account.

Again, I'm just posting this because it's wonderful to see a proactive school, and the tips on the website are helpful to us all with kids. It comes from the National Association of School Psychologists.

God bless the little ones.

edit on 14-12-2012 by Jason88 because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-12-2012 by Jason88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
According to the Organisation of Economic Cooperation and Development (the OECD), spending on social services in the United States increased between 1982 and 2007 by 2% of GDP (Gross Domestic Product).

www.oecd-ilibrary.org...

Spending on social services is like "lube". It reduces the friction in society.

In the same period the US population increased by roughly 24%.

The American government would never increase the workload on expensive equipment by 24% without commensurate increases in lubrication.

Is this mass shooting and other shootings like it related to budgetary allocations throughout the United States at all levels? We seem to be looking at a pattern of behavior that can erupt anywhere. Is the issue a systemic one related to spending on social services?
edit on 14-12-2012 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
ENOUGH

For anyone who missed it, please read this post and admin note:

More Than a Dozen Killed, Including Children, at Connecticut Elementary School Shooting

There is still a great deal we don't know about this mass murder. What we do know is a bunch of stale pro/anti-gun rhetoric that has nothing to do with the actual massacre won't reveal any facts, and only serves to drive this discussion off topic.

Yes, politicians are already capitalizing on this to promote their agendas. There are many other news articles about that and they are suited for other threads in our political forums. By all means, anyone who just can't resist spouting off about politics in the face of cold-blooded mass murder are free to go there and scratch that itch.

Let's please stay on the actual shooting in this thread. That's the topic. Digressions from it are not welcome.

Thanks.

new topics

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join