It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking News - Shooting at Newtown, Connecticut elementary school.

page: 42
<< 39  40  41    43  44  45 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightTide
and I see that CBS is pushing how we need 'immediate' action for firearms - this isn't a firearms issue, it is the moral decay of our society.

Rudy Giuliani was leaning towards the same but, Huckabee followed and strightened him out in the way only Huckabee could do.

Maybe a video will be posted on youtube. It's worth a watch.

link   

Originally posted by silo13
reply to post by bknapple32

I think everyone should take a minute to stop posting, and have a little bit of personal silence for the children who have lost their innocence today. For the victims who were shot. And the victims who were forced to witness it all happen.
SO much innocence gone in one broad stroke. Sad day to be alive.

OH BARF!

SILENCE will not bring these children back or SAVE any children in the future! This is NOT the time to be SILENT but to get to the bottom of WHY this happened and correct it. NOW!

As for this is a 'sad day to be alive'? Wow, I hope none of the parents with dead children can hear that remark. 27 or more dead?
I say that makes it a GREAT day to be alive and to rejoice in being alive knowing we are able to stand up and make sure nothing like this ever happens again. Not go all soapy soft mourning we’re still breathing!

Gawds I'm sick to death of milk-sop sentimentality that amounts to NOTHING in the end.

What we NEED it to STOP being SILENT and GET OUT THERE AND DO SOMETHING! STAND UP and RIGHT what’s WRONG! Actively take a STAND and put and end to the demolition and degradation of society, the family, morals and quit sucking our thumbs in the corner being 'silent'!

peace
edit on 14-12-2012 by silo13 because: my bold fix

Are you even serious with that reply?

The poster was asking for a 'moment of silence' in honor of the poor kids who died.

Not to "suck our thumbs and sit in the corner being silent."

You talk about the degradation of society yet you totally rail on a fellow member for offering a moment of silence.
Unreal.

link   
reply to post by MortlitantiFMMJ

The only difference is the weapon used. Both are attacks with the pure intention of maiming and killing. Both are horrible and wrong, neither is worse IMO.

link   
Mother's body found in her home.

So why go to the school and shoot the kids when mom isn't there.

link   
So is the father in NJ dead also, or not dead?

He lived with his Mom in Connecticut?

I am having trouble following the storyline now.

Does anybody think they have a clear picture of the story?

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
People it's time to wake up...

do you really think it's a coincidence that BHO loudly declares his intent to reinstate the assault weapons ban or even TIGHTER restrictions and then almost on cue heavily publicized rampage shootings just start to occur?

They didn't get the reaction they wanted with Virginia tech so they waited awhile and then they didn't get the reaction they wanted with the batman shooting so they waited a bit longer then the Oregon thing flubs so they go with the sure bet and do an elementary school....

While i agree that incidents like these are terribly tragic and they truly make my blood boil more gun control is in NO WAY the answer!

Do your research and you will already find that rampage shootings overwhelmingly favor locations with some sort of firearms carry prohibition for the average citizen. When I say overwhelmingly I do mean overwhelmingly as in 90% or more of the shootings occur in areas such as these! In addition to this they are also more common in areas with STRICT gun laws....

Do you want to know why?

Because in places like Utah where the gun laws are much more reasonable including the right of ccw holding teachers to carry on school grounds the shootings are stopped either before they even start or shortly after they start VASTLY MINIMIZING THE LOSS OF LIFE!

Utah has had 2 attempted rampage shootings in the last decade... In one at a law school campus armed CCW permit holding students faced down the gunman and NO ONE was killed not even the gunman.

In the other incident at a public school an armed teacher faced down the student and again there was NO LOSS OF LIFE not even the prospective shooter.

In Colorado the shooting at the new life super church was averted once again by an armed citizen serving as a volunteer security guard. In that case 6 people including the gunman lost their lives, but god only knows how many more would have died that day while waiting for the police to arrive to save them.

I know the Moderator staff have stated that this is not the time or the place to discuss the second amendment but i beg to differ. Those who will wield this incident like a weapon using the specter of dead grade schoolers to silence those that would speak against what they propose have ZERO compunction about using this incident for all it's worth. It has already started!

Bottom line is once again this shooting happened in a 'gun free' zone in a state that ALREADY BANS assault rifles and has mandatory pistol registration! So how are more bans going to stop these incidents?

IN addition I'd like to point out the fact that even if they manage to ban guns altogether for civilian use in this country do any of you really think this will solve anything? Do you think criminals will magically not have access to guns anymore either? Do you think that without "scary dangerous assault weapons that have no other purpose than killing people" if incidents like this happen the death toll will be much smaller?

If you think these things you would be dead wrong! In march of this year 20 people were killed in China by one knife wielding assailant. Today there was another knife rampage in china!

So it's time to ask yourself a couple of hard questions...

1. If the proposed bans are not about protecting us what is their real purpose?
2. If a country without any large scale civilian gun ownership still has attacks like these how will taking away semi automatic rifles serve to protect us?

Then you should also consider the fact that the supreme court has plainly ruled that the duty of law enforcement officers is not to protect you or your family from harm but to enforce the law AFTER IT HAS BEEN BROKEN.

You should also consider the true intent behind the second amendment, and I don't mean by reading either the pro or anti gun communitie's current legal interpretations of this amendment but the supplementary words of our founding fathers themselves. I am sure you will find them very instructive as to what the true intent was behind this amendment (which has nothing to do with hunting and everything to do with defense from enemies FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC)

Finally I would like to close by saying in this time of tragedy it is utterly shameful that we have to write posts like these when our time would be better spent pouring out our love and well wishes to those hurting in the aftermath of this incident, but it is the world we live in where the forces we have been warned about repeatedly will seek to turn any incident into a rallying cry for americans to not just accept the loss of their rights but actually DEMAND that they be taken away.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by xedocodex

and I see that CBS is pushing how we need 'immediate' action for firearms - this isn't a firearms issue, it is the moral decay of our society.

It is a firearms issue.

Guns make it easy for psychos like this to kill innocent children.

How many mass shootings is it this year? When will it be enough to where the gun lovers will see that innocent people's lives are more important than their precious little guns.

Pro gun people are starting to disgust me.

It is mere window dressing, guns are not the issue at all. I grew up with firearms, I watched violent movies, played violent games - I feel I am a well adjusted individual. Take away the guns from law abiding citizens who obey the law, it won't stop those who want to do harm to others, won't stop the gangs and other people who don't care about the law either......and what about those who obey the law and want to protect themselves......guess we are # out of luck.

We all grieve for the lives of the innocents lost, and Americans should now brace themselves for the onslaught of irrational attacks on their civil rights.
edit on 14-12-2012 by MidnightTide because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by xedocodex

It is a firearms issue.

Guns make it easy for psychos like this to kill innocent children.

How many mass shootings is it this year? When will it be enough to where the gun lovers will see that innocent people's lives are more important than their precious little guns.

Pro gun people are starting to disgust me.

So far 84 people have died in mass shootings in the US in 2012.

How many people died of Heart Disease last year? (answer 599,413)
So maybe we should ban mcdonalds tacobell wendys burger king red meat potato chips tortilla chips cheesecake factory ice cream soda ect.

Taking tools away from crazy people won't stop them from being crazy, they'll just find new tools.

BTW there are no guns in the possession of people in prison, and yet 7,000 people died every year in U.S. prisons. They have no tools provided to kill and what do they do? They make their own tools.

link   
reply to post by roadgravel

I have heard some MSM say she is dead at school, and others saying she is dead at home. Not sure which to believe yet, or even if either are correct...... Damn MSM

link   

Originally posted by roadgravel

That is weird, Media is reporting here that mother was killed in class, along with 18 children inside the class. And shooters girlfriend is missing and they have arrested shooters brother.

Here is more than meets the eye, I'm sure of it.
edit on 14-12-2012 by Thebel because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by MortlitantiFMMJ

Originally posted by minkmouse
I'm torn here...It is without a doubt a very horrible story but I can't get my head around why it's different than a drone strike in say Pakistan where innocent children are killed or any other act of aggression worldwide that results in the death of children...Why is this more horrific???

You honestly can't see the difference between an accidental drone attack, and someone shooting children in cold blood

It is not accidental. Both are used for the intent of killing.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by xEphon

Originally posted by silo13
reply to post by bknapple32

I think everyone should take a minute to stop posting, and have a little bit of personal silence for the children who have lost their innocence today. For the victims who were shot. And the victims who were forced to witness it all happen.
SO much innocence gone in one broad stroke. Sad day to be alive.

OH BARF!

SILENCE will not bring these children back or SAVE any children in the future! This is NOT the time to be SILENT but to get to the bottom of WHY this happened and correct it. NOW!

As for this is a 'sad day to be alive'? Wow, I hope none of the parents with dead children can hear that remark. 27 or more dead?
I say that makes it a GREAT day to be alive and to rejoice in being alive knowing we are able to stand up and make sure nothing like this ever happens again. Not go all soapy soft mourning we’re still breathing!

Gawds I'm sick to death of milk-sop sentimentality that amounts to NOTHING in the end.

What we NEED it to STOP being SILENT and GET OUT THERE AND DO SOMETHING! STAND UP and RIGHT what’s WRONG! Actively take a STAND and put and end to the demolition and degradation of society, the family, morals and quit sucking our thumbs in the corner being 'silent'!

peace
edit on 14-12-2012 by silo13 because: my bold fix

Are you even serious with that reply?

The poster was asking for a 'moment of silence' in honor of the poor kids who died.

Not to "suck our thumbs and sit in the corner being silent."

You talk about the degradation of society yet you totally rail on a fellow member for offering a moment of silence.
Unreal.

I didnt realize my sadness was so sickening...

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Why do people ignore troubled people so long that they have time to get to this stage. People seem to state there appeared to be problems with this young man.

link   

Originally posted by GLaDOS

Originally posted by MortlitantiFMMJ

I'm torn here...It is without a doubt a very horrible story but I can't get my head around why it's different than a drone strike in say Pakistan where innocent children are killed or any other act of aggression worldwide that results in the death of children...Why is this more horrific???

You honestly can't see the difference between an accidental drone attack, and someone shooting children in cold blood

It is not accidental. Both are used for the intent of killing.

They're not both used with the intent of killing innocent children

link   

The only thing that I can think is the shooter was upset that his mother maybe spent more time with her students growing up. Like he had it in his head that his mother loved her students more than she loved him & he wanted to take it out on all of them. That is the only reason I can think of going to the school & doing that after he had already killed his mother at home.

link   
You know, I hear over and over about how society is decaying, morals are decaying, etc. Can anyone point me to a time when things were supposedly so much better? I have studied a lot of history, and it seems to me, never in the times of recorded history, was civilizations ever really civilized at all.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Why do people ignore troubled people so long that they have time to get to this stage. People seem to state there appeared to be problems with this young man.

Come on, you must see it day in and day out. People don't care anymore....we all live in our homes / apartments - and don't care about our neighbors. It is an entitlement society, all we want is our stuff and to heck with the rest.

link   

Because American's in America feel that things like this should not happen. Period. We feel that our society should be above tragedies like this. We strive to set the example of how the world should behave. America, Democracy and free society was once considered the beacon of civility in the modern world.

Tragedies like this shake the core foundations of those ideals. Whether or not the ideal is true or not isn't the point. It's that idea that we are striving to attain...atleast we used to try to attain.

link   

Maybe the 20 year old shooter had issues with his mom and her students. He may have been jealous of attention that they got from her when he perceived that he did not receive enough attention from her.

He was developmentally disabled, according to what they are saying now. Who knows? He was obviously a whack job.
ETA: I see RickKilgannon was thinking along the same lines.

edit on 14-12-2012 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

link   
You can listing online to a local radio station talking on what happened in Newtown
www.wicc600.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 39  40  41    43  44  45 >>

join