It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do we live in a computer simulation? researchers say idea can be tested!

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Observer

Greetings Observer, apparently, without an observer there is nothingness. Therefore, depending on one's perspective one could conclude, that yes the material realms of consciousness are an illusion, are reflections of anti-matter. Thus, things are not what they seem; www.focusonrecovery.net...

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
This question is the question that man has been asking from the beginning,
" Why are we here ".

Through our awakening we try to make sense of it through what we observe in thoughts and reality.

Truth is we will never understand how and why until we ask the right questions.

I feel that how things work is as much of an illusion as dreams and its only thoughts that are real.

We can fragment ourselves as many times as we like but its through one thought that connects us all we are sharing the same experience no matter how different it may seem.

Sticking to the topic at hand let me share a what if.

What if its not a computer at all and to be God's image means to be a thought of God's thought.

Who is to say that we are not just observing a thought that a part of God had, what if there wasn't a God.

Could it be just as possible that when God had this thought a big bang happened and collapsed just as fast but for us it seems to be taking time. Enough time for us to forget why we are observing this thought and then begin to try and make sense of the dream itself.

It seems to me that we can wake up at anytime but not until as a whole we realize that we are asking the wrong question.

Jesus never had to raise the dead or walk on water because he was awake and knew that they were never dead and that the water was not real outside of his thoughts.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by zombiewarpigs

There is no god. There is only a creature that delights in torture and mayhem.

This thing, it laughs as it pulls your strings. The next time someone pisses you off watch their face. They'll be smiling without smiling. That's this thing getting its rocks off at your expense.

This is the real life "Truman Show" folks and we're all the saps who jerk this thing off.
edit on 12/12/2012 by PrplHrt because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
didn't you all use to think this as a kid? That you were being watched 24/7 by something like observers and your real body was on a table somewhere with observers monitoring you. or ,Kind of like you were in a giant 3D mapping room at times that monitored your every action? I used to imagine a dark black room with blue and red bars of lights running around me forming a grid, and people doing something to keep me under when I would notice them watching me.

I actually became really obsessed with this idea for a while. I even imagined that as we were being plugged into this reality we were tagged as chronic awakeners. That the program didn't take to us very well and we were still aware of our real bodies and could still move them.

I don't know. I was a weird kid, but I can't be the only 80´s/ 90´s kid that thought this...

edit on 12-12-2012 by zedVSzardoz because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Yes - We imitate an intentionally created reality by intentionally creating reality, virtually.
edit on 12-12-2012 by Eldensword because: Added an important word, "intentionally"

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by zedVSzardoz
didn't you all use to think this as a kid? That you were being watched 24/7 by something like observers and your real body was on a table somewhere with observers monitoring you. or ,Kind of like you were in a giant 3D mapping room at times that monitored your every action? I used to imagine a dark black room with blue and red bars of lights running around me forming a grid, and people doing something to keep me under when I would notice them watching me.

I actually became really obsessed with this idea for a while. I even imagined that as we were being plugged into this reality we were tagged as chronic awakeners. That the program didn't take to us very well and we were still aware of our real bodies and could still move them.

I don't know. I was a weird kid, but I can't be the only 80´s/ 90´s kid that thought this..

edit on 12-12-2012 by zedVSzardoz because: (no reason given)

You were NOT. I can step up to that plate without feeling embarrassed. It's ok. We ARE being observed by SOMETHING on some level, no question. Hence the BILL-E-YONS of people that believe in God (As I do) and the hundreds of thousands that can comprehend the "Matrix Theory" and even pursue it as a religion. Something amazing and incomprehensible is watching us. I think that is AWESOME. It’s a better theory than, “we're all just random lifeforms, with no meaning whatsoever”.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Eldensword
It’s a better theory than, “we're all just random lifeforms, with no meaning whatsoever”.

How so?

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spacespider
When people die and claim to travel to heaven, are they actually traveling to the true universe outside of the simulation? You hear it all the time. A bright light at the end of a tunnel, a sense of euphoria, everyone you knew is there. What if this is the heaven that they speak of? What if heaven is just the real world?

That's a good point..

Or.. it is just an effect of beeing underpowered.
Kind of when a light-tube flickers.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by deepankarm

Originally posted by Itisnowagain

Originally posted by deepankarm

Originally posted by Itisnowagain
reply to post by deepankarm

When you escape the illusion it will be obvious because the suffering that is the human condition ceases.
brother i can understand your spiritual view but the issue is how can we escape this illusion.
simply put, we can't do it through our mind as mind depends upon the illusion itself so it will not be able to create something not based on the rules of the illusion.

What is seeing the illusion? Does it appear?
Can the seer be seen?
edit on 12-12-2012 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)
brother, no we can't observe the observer but we are not discussing that. this thread is about proving or disproving the illusion through science which as a scientist i feel is impossible.

I don't agree.

If there is an illusion, created by a computer.
The computer is programmed, by a beeing.

Computer programs, as we know it, always contains bugs.
The larger the program, the more likely it is to have more bugs.
And a matrix-like program like this, would be very big.
And therefor contains a fair amount of bugs.

Those bugs/errors in the illusions, is for us to find.
Something that is not behaving according to the rules of the matrix.
Something that is out of place.
Something that doesn't fit correctly in the illusion...

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by ooYODAoo
my question to this "simulation" theory is WHY?

why would someone want to "play" as me and go through a boring un fulfilling life filing and shredding papers in a gray office cubicle? why?

why not use "cheat" codes and make me rich with fun exotic cars, and all sorts of women?:...why not make it a fun simulation,

if i were playing a simulation of my life...i would have turned the game off and got my money back...

can anyone answer this?

Because the simulation is not only about you.
It is about the whole system of life, and interaction between multiple life-forms.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by tomten

When you've had trillions of years, or when you operate outside of time, you have plenty of "time" to tweak the "matrix". This thing is really bored, or really perverse. Its been tweaking our little corner for 13 billion years.

I hate to give it credit but it's done quite a job.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by PrplHrt
reply to post by tomten

When you've had trillions of years, or when you operate outside of time, you have plenty of "time" to tweak the "matrix". This thing is really bored, or really perverse. Its been tweaking our little corner for 13 billion years.

I hate to give it credit but it's done quite a job.

Well.. it can also be a computer that is re-programming itself.

Just like me and my buddies was making self-modifying code, during the 1990's.
Because the computers did not have much RAM memory, and wasn't so fast,
we had to find a way to make efficent code, that re-created itself at different memory positions.
And changed itself slightly as it self-modifyed the code.
That's how the "Demo" coding was done at that time, on the Atari ST, and Amiga.)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChaoticOrder
reply to post by mr10k

Yes it seems mind-boggling the amount of data the Universe has, but it is far from impossible to simulate

I didn't say it was entirely impossible. I said is was entirely unpractical.

and the things we can compute today..it's just redundant to think it is impossible.

It's redundant to even compare our present simulations with a simulation of the Universe. That's like the difference between a single water atom and all the water on Earth. In fact even that's not a very accurate analogy, because the difference is still MUCH greater than that.

I understand you might not have a background in computers

Actually I am a computer programmer with experience with at least half a dozen different programming languages.
edit on 12/12/2012 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

That's the point...it's not that we are using our own technology, which is why I said you're thinking about it in the most redundant way possible -- that we our simulating ourselves, with our current technology. Now that sounds foolish. The way we're talking about is a highly advanced civilization, far more superior to humanity. That's why I wanted to know why you're thinking we're talking about using our technology?....

That's like being in the 1800s and saying we can't build a shuttle because of the unpracticality of our current tech. Of course not, that's why you improve tech.
edit on 12-12-2012 by mr10k because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

I believe with the discovery of the Higgs boson, that "empty space" is no longer empty.

ALS

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
so, humanity has the ability to run a simulation and this is the best we can come up with.

death, war, famine, evil, poverty, disease, suffering and every other human sorrow you can think of.

what would be the point.

What have you learned from it?

That is the point.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Wow we are living in the matrix.How cool is that

Unfortunately we don't even know about it
edit on 12-12-2012 by svmpua because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
This is what Hinduism said - "Reality is maya(aka illusion)"

Seems like its gonna be proved in the near future

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by PrplHrt

Great I beat huffington post for once hah........

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by 0bserver1

There is more substance to your thread than there was in that article and its associated links.
edit on 12/12/2012 by PrplHrt because: Damn grammar

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join