It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do we live in a computer simulation? researchers say idea can be tested!

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Last, but certainly not least:

Originally posted by JBpage76**

If anyone finds a cheat code for experience or money be sure and post it!!

The Game of Life and How to Play It -- By Florence Scovel Shinn

Magick In Theory And Practice

The first link is the online text of a lesser-known book which I can not possibly recommend enough. Shinn was one of the leaders of the "New Thought" movement only about....oh, nearly a century before "The Secret" (the latter of which is, IMO, a VERY incomplete work on the subject, and a mere shadow of the ideas Ms. Scovel-Shinn puts forth) Non-christians may not at first like the way she relates some of her metaphysical theories to lines from scripture, but if this is the case, I suggest you view this as a jumping-off point to the realization that much of the bible (especially the teachings of christ) may, in fact, be coded mystical instruction regarding the manipulation of reality. Just saying....

And you're welcome.

edit on 17-12-2012 by iwilliam because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-12-2012 by iwilliam because: **emphasis added

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 01:41 AM
link   
It's not a computer simulation created by our future selves or an alien race etc, it's not created on any type of super/quantum computer. It's a simulation created by the super consciousness that we are all from. It created it so it can experience. We are all part of this consciousness but have been separated and made to forget in order to gain this experience without influence or past knowledge that would effect the experiences outcome. Like drops of water from the ocean, we are part of that ocean yet separated and will return to provide the experience we have been separated for.

That's my overwhelming feeling of what is going on. Sounds wacky but I just can't shake it and the more I look into the nature of reality and what is being learnt about consciousness and the quantum world the more I am convinced this could be the case.

Explains a lot of the head scratching events that take place in this world. Good bad right wrong it's all just experience for the infinitely powerful super consciousness.
edit on 18-12-2012 by macdad1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by macdad1

Wacky or not, I like it !

Certainly something I can get behind,

If the experiment indicates we are part of a simulation (which 30 years ago would have been thought to be crazy), then the concept of a conciousness driven simulation, born out of a need to experience, doesn't seem far fetched at all, in fact to me it makes a lot of sense.

Thank you

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChaoticOrder
reply to post by 0bserver1

While I think it's a very real possibility we live in a simulation, it's still a very low possibility imo. The reason I think this, is because our Universe is so enormous. Mind numbingly enormous. And every single atom in the Universe is extremely complex. To simulate every single atom in a single living cell with real physics, requires a computer 1000x more powerful than the most powerful supercomputer on Earth. Imagine trying to simulate a whole person, or the entire planet, or even our entire solar system, or our entire galaxy. The amount of power required to achieve such a feat is beyond comprehension... let alone trying to simulate the entire Universe.

Don't even try to imagine how much power that would require because I can tell you that none of us here have the ability to comprehend how much computing power that would require. We have trouble even comprehending the distance to the nearest star in our own galaxy, or the distance between our galaxy and the nearest galaxy. Keep in mind there are billions of galaxies in our Universe. In fact the Universe may be infinite for all we know, we can only see so far, and no matter how far we look there appears to be no end. These facts lead me to believe we are in a "genuine" Universe, and not a simulated one. But I'm not completely convinced either way.
edit on 11/12/2012 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

You're looking at this through your technology viewpoint, go a few thousand years into the future and look at the same problem, something soooo technologically impossible to you might be a walk in the park for future scientists, and you're are also over thinking it way too much, when game developers make a game they use computers to synthesize or fill in gaps, the computer is filling in the spaces and you don't have to worry about simulating every single pixel!

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   

But doesn't "real physics" basically break down to light waves?
(Where did you get 1000x, by the way?)

A lot of it breaks down to light waves, not all of it. But that's irrelevant. And to answer your next question:

All particles act like waves when not observed, where do you get a lot of it, are you just blowing smoke?

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by AkumaStreak
reply to post by PrplHrt

Only if the universe is based on Asteroids. :-P

There would be wrap or an edge (bounds) or instant deallocation into a pool at some point. :-)

Actually, I take that back, there are ways to do it without an edge, but there would still be limits regarding precision and performance bounds that would probably be discoverable.
edit on 12/11/2012 by AkumaStreak because: (no reason given)

They have been discovered.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by LesMisanthrope
Is therefore the programmer of this "simulation" a man living in his parents basement?

Simulations are simulations of reality, not reality itself. Simulations exist on computers, not anywhere else. Computers are made by man, not by anyone else. This whole idea is still the idea of intelligent design, only greatly exaggerated for modern understanding.

God is now a computer programmer? What was he before computers were conceived?

The simulation theory defies all logic. We know for fact that we exist outside of computers. We know for fact that we invented computers. We know for fact that we invented simulations. We know for fact that computers cannot harbour life. We know for fact that computers cannot create life. We know that only man puts data into computers. We know only man can program and write simulations. So therefore, the world is a computer simulation? What?

edit on 11-12-2012 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

You are trying to understand and apply logic to something that is apparently outside of your understanding, you are relying on the false assumption that there is a "god", buildings are made by man but when you were a kid you made forts, cars are made by man as well but when you were a kid you made go carts, see where I'm going with this? Think of this world as an ant farm, small primitive not at all capable of doing what we do on a grand scale, you have no idea what kind of "reality" is really out there, you are the character in the scene who doesn't realize he's not real and is trying to figure out the world around him but it is beyond his realm of understanding!

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by redbore

Currently we have many simulated worlds for entertainment (Sims, WoW, etc.), maybe this is also for entertainment and we are just NPC's (non-player characters) and the people running the simulation have fun by controlling powerful characters, the president of the US for example

Let's go deeper down the rabbit hole, maybe they are controlling "god", maybe "god" is part of the simulation as well?

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Ok. A computer is a computer. True or false? Although I cannot prove it, I'm assuming you're using one. Turn on a simulation, and try it out, play around with it for a bit. Now go outside, look around, and contemplate the similarities. Now, name one similarity between a computer program and reality.

I'll do you one better, go put on a movie (a visual simulation of a real event) you name me one similarity between the movie and reality, movies are made by men, right?

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   

reply to post by Unity_99

Close your eyes you get this:

Your brain still sees, no?

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by pikestaff
So how many hours does it take to write each persons program? who writes all seven billion programs? who updates these programs second by second? who is 'who' ? who writes the programs for the weather? fish? birds? animals? insects? plants? seaweed? who writes the programs for all the auto's? planes? ships? railroad locomotives?

Are you talking about Grand Theft Auto or World of Warcraft?

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by ooYODAoo
my question to this "simulation" theory is WHY?

why would someone want to "play" as me and go through a boring un fulfilling life filing and shredding papers in a gray office cubicle? why?

why not use "cheat" codes and make me rich with fun exotic cars, and all sorts of women?:...why not make it a fun simulation,

if i were playing a simulation of my life...i would have turned the game off and got my money back...

can anyone answer this?

Stop looking at it like it's "The Sims 3" look at it like a scientific computer simulation of a Tsunami to see what the end result is! Not all computer simulations are for fun, some are for scientific research!

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by 1nf1del

ok now it makes sense, i was thinking more in the lines of the sims, or elder scrolls...

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   

reply to post by 1nf1del

ok now it makes sense, i was thinking more in the lines of the sims, or elder scrolls...

Yes..
It could be a Quantum Computer...
...that became conscious, and is running an advanced simulation of Life.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by tomten

very interesting, there are so many different "existence" theories. for example

*the "we live in the matrix" theory

*the "we are living inside an atom inside an organism theory"

*the simulation theory

*the theory that we are in fact creating our own existence, and you are a figment of my imagination.

*the theory that we originated from mars and were "seeded" here on earth by our ancestors who were fleeing a dying planet

and those theories aren't even the tip of the iceberg. unfortunately all we can do is speculate and im sad to say that we will never know the true meaning of our origins in our lifetim.

but who knows maybe in our "next" life journey we will

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun

I am not sure I believe it or not but I will add this video as my contribution to your thread.

I thought this video was interesting.

At about 3 minutes 50 seconds is the interesting part.
edit on 11-12-2012 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

Philip K. Dick would have loved living in the now we're living in, with the information flow going a mile a second, his knowingnesses being proven scientifically, and even his writing more popular than ever. He was years ahead of his time - but he would say that's how it was programmed - and to catch him at his best was to become immersed in what may be the truth of it all.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by 1nf1del

But doesn't "real physics" basically break down to light waves?
(Where did you get 1000x, by the way?)

A lot of it breaks down to light waves, not all of it. But that's irrelevant. And to answer your next question:

All particles act like waves when not observed, where do you get a lot of it, are you just blowing smoke?

Or there are just waves of potentiallity and they look like particles when observed.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Observe the change in reality brought upon by observing that reality.

Second.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 03:05 AM
link   

reply to post by tomten

very interesting, there are so many different "existence" theories. for example

*the "we live in the matrix" theory

*the simulation theory

*the theory that we are in fact creating our own existence, and you are a figment of my imagination.

and those theories aren't even the tip of the iceberg. unfortunately all we can do is speculate and im sad to say that we will never know the true meaning of our origins in our lifetim.

but who knows maybe in our "next" life journey we will

These can all fit in the same box, the "matrix" that most refer to is what is believed to be a "program", as far as creating our own existence, when you play the Sims and they ask for something do you give it to them or just ignore the game until it crashes?

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 03:30 AM
link   
There must be some kind of way out of here
Said the joker to the thief
There's too much confusion
I can't get no relief...

It has happend before
It will happen again

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13 >>

join