Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Do we live in a computer simulation? researchers say idea can be tested!

page: 8
50
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

log in

join

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Moore's law is not an indefinite upward curve. In fact most theorists expect it to level out anywhere between 2012 and 2050 - with some predicting a technological singularity: an event so profoundly game changing that we are currently incapable of seeing, thinking, or imagining beyond it.

Having said that...

Proving that the universe behaves in the same manner as a simulation actually would prove or disprove nothing. We lack an understanding of how we, just as beings, interact with reality - much less what reality, itself, is or is not. This is simply a technology based interpretation of Descartes.

Even if this test could detect hints of coding to the universe, as stated, since we cannot see beyond that code, we can draw no conclusions as to what the code would represent. For all we know, the code is not a sign of what created us, but of how we create perception within ourselves.

~Heff




posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

Moore's law is not an indefinite upward curve. In fact most theorists expect it to level out anywhere between 2012 and 2050 - with some predicting a technological singularity: an event so profoundly game changing that we are currently incapable of seeing, thinking, or imagining beyond it.

Having said that...

Proving that the universe behaves in the same manner as a simulation actually would prove or disprove nothing. We lack an understanding of how we, just as beings, interact with reality - much less what reality, itself, is or is not. This is simply a technology based interpretation of Descartes.

Even if this test could detect hints of coding to the universe, as stated, since we cannot see beyond that code, we can draw no conclusions as to what the code would represent. For all we know, the code is not a sign of what created us, but of how we create perception within ourselves.

~Heff
now here is someone who has an idea of the issue in front of us.
point is even if we escape the illusion, we cannot be sure if we aren't into new one.



posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by deepankarm
 


When you escape the illusion (delusion), it will be obvious because the suffering that is the human condition, ceases.
edit on 12-12-2012 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)



posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain
reply to post by deepankarm
 


When you escape the illusion it will be obvious because the suffering that is the human condition ceases.
brother i can understand your spiritual view but the issue is how can we escape this illusion.
simply put, we can't do it through our mind as mind depends upon the illusion itself so it will not be able to create something not based on the rules of the illusion.



posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by deepankarm

Originally posted by Itisnowagain
reply to post by deepankarm
 


When you escape the illusion it will be obvious because the suffering that is the human condition ceases.
brother i can understand your spiritual view but the issue is how can we escape this illusion.
simply put, we can't do it through our mind as mind depends upon the illusion itself so it will not be able to create something not based on the rules of the illusion.


What is seeing the illusion? Does it appear?
Can the seer be seen?

“What we are looking for is what is looking.” St. Francis of Assisi quote
edit on 12-12-2012 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)



posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by deepankarm

Originally posted by Itisnowagain
reply to post by deepankarm
 


When you escape the illusion it will be obvious because the suffering that is the human condition ceases.
brother i can understand your spiritual view but the issue is how can we escape this illusion.
simply put, we can't do it through our mind as mind depends upon the illusion itself so it will not be able to create something not based on the rules of the illusion.

The mind is part of the illusion. You can see thoughts appear. What is it that can see the thoughts appearing?
Can the seeer and knower be seen? Or does the seer and knower never appear?
Then you are not in the illusion. You have now escaped.
edit on 12-12-2012 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)



posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain

Originally posted by deepankarm

Originally posted by Itisnowagain
reply to post by deepankarm
 


When you escape the illusion it will be obvious because the suffering that is the human condition ceases.
brother i can understand your spiritual view but the issue is how can we escape this illusion.
simply put, we can't do it through our mind as mind depends upon the illusion itself so it will not be able to create something not based on the rules of the illusion.


What is seeing the illusion? Does it appear?
Can the seer be seen?
edit on 12-12-2012 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)
brother, no we can't observe the observer but we are not discussing that. this thread is about proving or disproving the illusion through science which as a scientist i feel is impossible.



posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain
reply to post by 0bserver1
 


The character that appears to be you is not you. You are what is not appearing. You are sat in an armchair watching the character moving through life.
What is seen and heard is just a movie but what you really are never moves.
When you are in a car that is moving, are you moving? Or is the scenery moving?

Notice, that in your experience, you never move. Only the scenery moves.
edit on 11-12-2012 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

That is exactly how i perceive reality most of the time, it feels like im sat behind myself watching someone else moving.



posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by deepankarm
 


You asked how can you escape the illusion. The answer is to realize that you are not in the illusion - you see the illusion.



posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain

Originally posted by deepankarm

Originally posted by Itisnowagain
reply to post by deepankarm
 


When you escape the illusion it will be obvious because the suffering that is the human condition ceases.
brother i can understand your spiritual view but the issue is how can we escape this illusion.
simply put, we can't do it through our mind as mind depends upon the illusion itself so it will not be able to create something not based on the rules of the illusion.

The mind is part of the illusion. You can see thoughts appear. What is it that can see the thoughts appearing?
Can the seeer and knower be seen? Or does the seer and knower never appear?
Then you are not in the illusion. You have now escaped.
edit on 12-12-2012 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)
i think you are not understanding me entirely. problem is that the observer blindly follows the mind which is a part of the whole illusion. so until observer breaks free from the clutches of the mind, observer can't be free from illusion.



posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain
reply to post by deepankarm
 


You asked how can you escape the illusion. The answer is to realize that you are not in the illusion - you see the illusion.

Dont try to bend the spoon, that is impossible. Only try to realise the truth,,,, there is no spoon.



posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain
reply to post by deepankarm
 


You asked how can you escape the illusion. The answer is to realize that you are not in the illusion - you see the illusion.
our views are the same. for self realization we must first control our mind which is responsible for our human suffering.



posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Whatever this reality actually is, it's most important to remember that life is LIFE and people are PEOPLE, (at least effectively) NOT mere holographic simulations no matter what, first and foremost. However, there IS a very computer-LIKE quality in apparently most people on this planet. To me it's most obviously and primarily manifested in the robotically dogmatic psychological-emotional PROGRAMMING of a HUGE percentage of folks here - in mainly those who are commonly referred to as "sheeple." Beliefs - religious and political (though there's no real difference) - are given more weight than and simply RULE over facts, objective truth. Period. Such people are largely ego MACHINES who will not be bothered with facts. Rule by secrecy is entirely "God" here, and most can't imagine having and refuse to have it any other way, including many of those who merely BELIEVE they are against monolithic secrecy. Example: How many people believe the very NAME of this website is normal and acceptable enough?



posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by deepankarm

Originally posted by Itisnowagain
reply to post by deepankarm
 


You asked how can you escape the illusion. The answer is to realize that you are not in the illusion - you see the illusion.
our views are the same. for self realization we must first control our mind which is responsible for our human suffering.


The mind is part of the illusion - it is what appears. The mind cannot be controlled but it can be watched.
You are the silent witness to all that arises.
Do not confuse yourself with what appears.
What you 'really are' never appears. And so will never disappear.

All seeing, all knowing and everpresent.
edit on 12-12-2012 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)



posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
If anyone finds a cheat code for experience or money be sure and post it!!

Good thread, interesting. S&F



posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I find the idea that it is possible to live in a simulated world fascinating. The problem I have with this though is the following. Is everything simulated at once? By everything I mean from the smallest particle upwards. If that is the case then everything then needs a place inside the simulator’s memory. So in essence, if the simulator is bound by the same rules as our universe, then the simulator has to have enough memory for each bit of information of the universe. So besides the "space" the information takes, you still need space for the hardware.

The other idea is, maybe the simulator only creates something when an observer observes something. Example. Atoms didn’t exist until we did tests to prove it. Galaxies didn't exist until we observed them. Does this add to the simulator? Or does the object being observed get recycled once nobody observes it?

Rabbit hole goes very deep indeed.

ETA Maybe we are the simulator?



posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by LiquidAsh
I find the idea that it is possible to live in a simulated world fascinating. The problem I have with this though is the following. Is everything simulated at once? By everything I mean from the smallest particle upwards. If that is the case then everything then needs a place inside the simulator’s memory. So in essence, if the simulator is bound by the same rules as our universe, then the simulator has to have enough memory for each bit of information of the universe. So besides the "space" the information takes, you still need space for the hardware.

The other idea is, maybe the simulator only creates something when an observer observes something. Example. Atoms didn’t exist until we did tests to prove it. Galaxies didn't exist until we observed them. Does this add to the simulator? Or does the object being observed get recycled once nobody observes it?

Rabbit hole goes very deep indeed.

ETA Maybe we are the simulator?

Maybe everyone has there own vision of reality like each person having there own tv screen, that way you dont need as much data. You only need what you can see in your feild of vision.



posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
With respect to the size of the computer, there only need to be so many files. One file for every element in the periodic table. Everything in the universe would be rendered from just a handful of files and a few .exe's.



posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide
 


Nicely said! ... But it could solve many questions by scientist why certain physical experiments give results they don't understand?



posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
my question to this "simulation" theory is WHY?



why would someone want to "play" as me and go through a boring un fulfilling life filing and shredding papers in a gray office cubicle? why?

why not use "cheat" codes and make me rich with fun exotic cars, and all sorts of women?:...why not make it a fun simulation,

if i were playing a simulation of my life...i would have turned the game off and got my money back...

can anyone answer this?





new topics




 
50
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

log in

join