It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Within ONE Year: Tens of Millions Will Eagerly And Willingly PAY To Relinquish Their Privacy

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
The next level will be to introduce political and social themes in a subtle manner and begin reading the reactions of players. Voice commands and player to player chat will become increasingly monitored, sifted and analyzed.
You're right, they will pay for big brother to come right in to their living rooms.

edit on 7-12-2012 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   
It's enough to make you pray for a worldwide EMP war. I've pretty much concluded that that's the only way we'll ever get out of this mess....

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

I think 1 year may be a rather generous span...seems other major players are jumping in on this bandwagon as well.

Verizon patents DVR that tracks your actions

Dec 6, 2012 4:15 PM

Verizon wants to watch you while you watch TV.

The communications company has filed for a patent of a DVR that can monitor your actions to better target advertisements to you. According to the details of the patent—published online Nov. 29 after it was first filed in May 2011—if you’re working out, talking on the phone, or holding hands with your significant other, the shows you watch would play corresponding ads.

Verizon’s set-top box would even parse words from your conversations and detect moods to better market to you; the patent application describes sensing a viewer’s stress and advertising aromatherapy candles or a resort.

“If a user is watching a television program, a traditional targeted advertising system fails to account for what the user is doing (e.g. eating, interacting with another user, sleeping, etc.) while the user is watching the television program,” Verizon wrote in its patent application filing. “This limits the effectiveness, personalization, and/or adaptability of the targeted advertising.”

Source: PCWorld.com

I'm sure other major players are right behind them

edit on 12/7/2012 by UberL33t because: tags

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

Damn, that's worse than the Xbox!
I already hate the targeted ads that keep popping up on every sidebar,

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   

I can't imagine it wouldn't be wifi. The current one is, and the entire world is moving to wifi. Even out here in the sticks, we have wifi literally everywhere (just much more of it is unprotected).

Microsoft is very open and honest. They state clearly on the Kinect that they will possibly record you to determine improvements tot he design of the product. It is part of the EULA, if i recall.

It would truly be insidious to end around the Constitution via EULA's that cross into NSA requirements of submitting to their archives any recorded data for things like security cameras, etc. Corporatocracy in its most covert form.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I, as a long time gamer, have always joked, that I'll really like online gaming when the computer can anticipate my reactions in my mind rather than the delayed reaction through the reflex (.41 seconds), the time it takes for the controller to wirelessly communicate with box (the speed of light over a distance of 5 feet is negligable), and then the time it takes for my box to funnel through my router, then modem, and then ping the host... all taking ~1-2 seconds. Which is, as some of you will know, all it takes to ruin a good kill-streak. Now I'm not so convinced I want it, because of the invasion of privacy.

I believe we as a society need to re-evaluate the amount of technology we allow into our lives, and how many people are unaware of what they already have in their possession. This is actually a topic we discussed in one of my classes a few years back called 'Technology and Society' were we talked about the unforeseen consequences of technologies, and how we are more 'sophisticated' than we were when the TV came out, however I'm no longer convinced of that. Just looking at what the development of the TV did to our society I'd hate to see the next big leap, and Heff, it looks like you found it.

The entire class was shocked when I introduced RFID chips for my current technology report (even though it's been around since the 70s), most had never heard of it, when I told them they were in most credit cards and every single smartphone, most looked at me like I was dumb. Then I played the video of the doctor who had one implanted in his hand, and the chip had gotten a virus that scrambled his data and locked him out of his own protocols; most people's jaws hit the floor. I was genuinely surprised how many people had never heard of RFID chip, and the consequences for them being in everything.

In the kitchen I work in, one of the cooks had said to another cook that eventually everyone would have RFID's implanted in them or something of the sort, and the cook flipped out screaming things about the mark of the beast and how she was a good christian, etc.. etc.. all the while waving her smartphone around. I just had to laugh a little.

So to imagine what the implications of the XBox Trojan, and what the consequences of it will inevitable be, scares the f----ing crap outta me. The list of invasive technologies is growing rapidly, but to think that it's right around the block before it's on every street corner or building you walk past is a good leap away. Think about technologies that have been out for 10 years or so, and how many businesses never updated to meet new standards (and have done fine with out them). I don't think the world of Total Recall is upon us quite yet, but it is certainly stepping into the realm of possibility.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Great thread. I always cover my webcam/s and unplug my kinect when I am done using it. I get paranoid that someone maybe watching me and I wont know they are. It could be the governemnt or it could be a some hacker that is spying on me. I had a few friends that were into that kind of stuff. They showed me some of the software and tools they used. But with that software you could see the persons computer screen and turn on the webcam with out the person knowing. You could also download or upload stuff to the persons computer.
Ill probably end up buying one of them new Xbox's. But I shall unplug the powercord when i am finished playing.

**Dark**

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Hello Hefficide,

Wow, great thread! S&F

I don't play xBox or any games except on the computer (solitaire, video poker, etc.) But I suppose kinext will be installed in TVs, computers, etc., or is it already?

Best,
yesterdaysreality
:up
edit on 7-12-2012 by yesterdaysreality because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

I agree, it may just be happenstance, but I have noticed on occasion that I'll be driving by certain establishments and I will get a rogue text or odd email on my phone with an ad to said establishment. Now and again I'll be talking about something and lo and behold an ad will pop up on Pandora (yes I use the free ad based version lol) conducive to the conversation.

I think the tech is already out there and has been but now they're putting a shiny coat of paint on it and as Heff points out, people are paying top dollar for it

edit on 12/7/2012 by UberL33t because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
True...True...

Also I just read about new patents filed for Verizon and Comcast on new DVR receivers for their subscription services. These new set top boxes will be able to see you and record you conversations to more effectively target advertisements to you personally. Don't have the links but if you look for it I am sure you can find it. Also read some time ago the former director of CIA General Petraus applauding the fact that we formerly private citizens are essentially bugging ourselves so they no longer have to do it. All they need do now is tap into your smart tv or set top box, or as in this case X box, and listen and record...

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by yesterdaysreality

Originally posted by yesterdaysreality

Hello Hefficide,

Wow, great thread! S&F

I don't play xBox or any games except on the computer (solitaire, video poker, etc.) But I suppose kinex will be installed in TVs, computers, etc., or is it already?

Best,
yesterdaysreality

Some computers and most phones now come with built in cameras. While most are not bundled with this technology - I did a set up/install for a friend last week of a new system - an all in one Gateway computer. It has a built in Webcam. While I was running Windows 8 through the start/update process I noticed an icon and got curious.

It's a feature that uses the webcam as a pointing device. A gesture reading interface. You move you hand around and the cursor moves accordingly. I played with it and found it to be clunky and unresponsive. But it was there.

I imagine that it won't be long before cell phones adapt and have some variant of this technology applied to them. Maybe an iPhone that knows when you're smiling or frowning - and then talks to you accordingly ( They way they vocally and intuitively interface with people now. Siri, I think it's called. ) Or marketed on some gimmick like tracking how close people get to you and how many there are. Even a "watch your back" mode - where you could put the phone in your back pocket and the camera would alert you if anyone behind you matched a preprogrammed profile for suspicious behavior.

There are a great many positive applications I can think of. But no matter how many come to mind, they don't outweigh the handful of stark and frightening misapplications I can imagine.

~Heff

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
and just in time for this massive influx of information, let us not forget the new...

...NSA data center.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Reports yesterday that ComCast have patented DVR technology that will watch you, listen to conversations going on in your home, and find programming for you based on this.

Massive invasion of privacy.

And they will market this "fantastic technology" and people will voluntarily pay for it, you're correct.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Double post.
edit on 7-12-2012 by Jason88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Wrong post. Oops. Great thread, Heff.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Isn't this no difference than having a webcam? You can always cover it up if you're paranoid people are watching you.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by electricalpup
My partner just today was telling me a co-worker heard at another truck terminal that their company is thinking of putting cameras inside of the truck and front bumper. He is so agitated. Apparently, a company has already tested this and has terminated the employment of a few people. I was going to research this for him to see where the money flows.

I am betting this is another form of taxpayer funded security BS.

The reason I bring this up,it is the young drivers that don't find a problem with this. They think it is OK

edit on 7-12-2012 by electricalpup because: Sorry, forgot part of response

Transportation companies have been doing this for at least a decade now. Coupled with GPS the systems are beneficial for routing and insurance purposes.

I could tell you stories about how it benefited me personally on a number of occasions but I don't think you have a very open mind about this. This isn't taxpayer funded BS. This is private companies doing it for financial reasons. Most of those camera's operate on a loop and only activate by sudden movement. Maybe the new generation of cameras are operated more from the main terminal now, I don't know. That's how long they've been around and how long it's been since I personally have dealt with them.

As for Heff's post, I'm not a gamer so none of those gadgets are in my home. What Verizon is doing though with DVR's is similar. They won't be out for another year or so, but even then it will be an option. Just like everything else everyone has in their home that can potentially "watch" you.

They're options. Not necessities.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   
1. Don't
2. Consume

ETA: Heff, whats with the double tap starring?
edit on 7-12-2012 by racer451 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Ohh yes gamer heaven for me. Well if it's going to be better than Sony then I'm all over.

Screw my privacy, this will make "the lawnmower man" look like " Johnny Neaumonic"

The machine already had me plugged in since 1985

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by ShotGunRum

Webcams don't read lips that I am aware of. Nor can they currently gauge my emotions by my facial expression - though I am sure that technology is about four seconds behind this Xbox release.

My webcam closes. I can also unplug it from the USB port if I choose to - to make sure that the microphone isn't being accessed, even with nothing but a black video feed. The camera on the Xbox, by all reports, will be built in and a prominent feature in the mechanics of how one interacts with games.

Add that to a built in WiFi system? And you've got an emotion and lip reading spy sitting in your living room that can be accessed by anyone with the right frequencies and access codes. Tape or no. All tape would do is keep the visual image obscured. It would still feed audio.

~Heff

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join