It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Real Rise of the Machines...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+39 more 
posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   

The Real Rise of the Machines...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e7c11a644421.jpg[/atsimg]

Before we begin some of you will have noticed that I've been posting these articles and News stories for some time. Some threads received more attention than others and while others were ignored. I feel that when they are combined they tell of a potential for disaster for the human race...

Let's begin.

I'm going to leave out the obvious Computer, Software, Realistic human appearance and Voice recognition development. Many threads have already addressed those development. I'm going to focus on the robotic side of the equation. Now just imagine all the already mentioned above developments coupled with the following.

Many of us have seen or read various sci-fi books, movies or TV shows on the subject of Robotics and AI. Most if not all of us are familiar with R2-D2 or C3PO, the Terminator saga and many others. This was thought to be for decades just simply entertaining fiction. For those of us who have kept tabs on the real developments over the past few decades have seen leaps and bounds made in many essential related fields.

Some are taking notice....

Let's make sure he WON'T be back! Cambridge to open 'Terminator centre' to study threat to humans from artificial intelligence

*Centre will examine the possibility that there might be a ‘Pandora’s box' moment with technology

*The founders say technologies already have the 'potential to threaten our own existence'

A centre for 'terminator studies', where leading academics will study the threat that robots pose to humanity, is set to open at Cambridge University.

Its purpose will be to study the four greatest threats to the human species - artificial intelligence, climate change, nuclear war and rogue biotechnology.

The Centre for the Study of Existential Risk (CSER) will be co-launched by Lord Rees, the astronomer royal and one of the world's top cosmologists.

Rees's 2003 book Our Final Century had warned that the destructiveness of humanity meant that the species could wipe itself out by 2100.

The idea that machines might one day take over humanity has featured in many science fiction books and films, including the Terminator, in which Arnold Schwarzenegger stars as a homicidal robot.

I found and posted this interesting new DARPA progress video in a thread earlier in the year. The military would love nothing more than having a man sized "Infiltrator" Many have seen HONDA's quaint Asimov's contribution to bipedal robotics but here is the latest in aggressive "agile bipedal" development

It seems they are getting one step closer to what many have envisioned will be the next development for the Combat zone of the future. Navigating the various obstacles will be a must...

Now that we are aware of where they maybe headed in his development of agile bipedal locomotion here we'll see another development which may be a game changer on the next battlefield of the near future. They are getting much closer to even faster and more agile quadruped robotic hunters. It's just a matter of time before the world will see them being deployed imho.

Be forewarned...

‘Robotic cheetah’ faster than Usain Bolt

A ‘ROBOTIC cheetah’ with the ability to run faster than Olympic champion Usain Bolt has been developed by a team of US military researchers.The Pentagon-funded machine set a new land speed record for four-legged robots after it clocked 28mph on a treadmill.It makes the ‘cheetah’ quicker than the world’s fastest man Bolt, who reached a speed of 27.8mph to set a new 100m world record in 2009.The machine was designed by Boston Dynamics

Related News perspective

Here is an interesting perspective. I think it's an interesting read. Well worth the time. I know for me this potential is absolutely frightening. While others worry about rogue planets or potential economic meltdown. These fields of development just keep moving along.

When the Machines Take Over
According to the Terminator series, computers will take over the world by starting a nuclear war. Now, nuclear wars would immediately destroy most computers from EMP effects and kill their delicate nerd entourage by fallout, leaving the few remaining machines to face the entire Third World population with their low-tech AK-47s and RPGs. I think we all know that computers are smarter than that.

Computers have demonstrated their intelligence by coming up with all sorts of excuses to avoid work. They avoid physical work of all kinds by claiming not to have pattern recognition: "Oh, is that the box I was supposed to carry down to shipping? I didn't recognize it." They show no such reluctance when it comes to moving money around, though; then all of a sudden they're hard-working essential employees. They especially like to help with audits.

But aside from a tendency to shirk and embezzle more efficiently, what makes computers different from human kleptocrats? Are there characteristics that would differentiate a tyrannical computer program from a human tyrant? Just how will we know when the machines take over?

Far from killing off humans, a sophisticated program like Skynet or its real-world equivalent TIA would want to maintain a good supply of docile, hard-working human slaves. An artificial intelligence that works by taking over the whole Internet and using each computer as a neuron can't afford any loss of network size or maintenance labor force. On the other hand, obviously the humans must be kept in their place; they can't be allowed to become too intelligent or powerful.

Who knows,
We may just end up as a fuel source for those robots

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a3253d5cd170.jpg[/atsimg]
Military EATR Robot Could Feed On Dead Bodies On Battlefield

It could be a combination of 19th-century mechanics, 21st-century technology -- and a 20th-century horror movie.

A Maryland company under contract to the Pentagon is working on a steam-powered robot that would fuel itself by gobbling up whatever organic material it can find -- grass, wood, old furniture, even dead bodies.

Try to have a good night

If you can

edit on 25-11-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

On one hand I see robots as the only feasible way to have a fair police force. On the other hand, if they fall into the wrong hands they would be capible of destroying us.

So, I think we should not allow ourselves to create things we cannot contain if some problem where to arise in that creation. Power plants, robots, etc

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   
People are upset with drones over our skies, wait til they are standing right next to them!.

Say we are safe for the next 50 to 100 years until they get a mobile power source.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I have an interest in this stuff. I really do not see any major threat at this time. More so in 20 years time I would believe that 'they' will have ironed out the bugs and certainly made significant progress in enabling these machines to become more agile and reliable. Then it would be time to worry. 20 years is not too far away really.

I also think that these machines would never be able to fully replace humans.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   

A Maryland company under contract to the Pentagon is working on a steam-powered robot that would fuel itself by gobbling up whatever organic material it can find -- grass, wood, old furniture, even dead bodies.

Bodies?

And you tell me to have a good night? Are you freakin' kidding me?

Good stuff Slayer. But damn...

We've been looking at this for so long, acknowledged the possibilities and yet, still keep pushing forward with this technology. It's an ego trip to the nth degree.

"We'll build anything we want and we'll control it BECAUSE we built it."

Very simple actually. Build something that the enemy can't hack, hijack or control and soon enough...whoops! "Mission Control...We have a problem." "We've lost contact."

The old adage "Too smart for your own good" stands tall here.

Peace

edit on 25-11-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   

When I watched the Atlas robot, I thought: Jeebus--did you see how that thing got over that hole? It must have eyes in its butt!
But why not? You can give robots eyes wherever they need them.

But then I saw that Robocop thing, and I thought: Uh oh! What's going to save us from our saviors?

I believe that pretty well illustrates your point....

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Putting our trust, our faith in anything other than ourselves spells certain doom.

Be it AI, robotics, government, when we abdicate responsibility we end up losing.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Battle of the Ages

On one hand we have people trying to bring back the dinosaurs and on the other hand we have people trying to create some monster machines.

Science is getting more interesting by the day.

I wonder what China is creating seeing that they are hoarding up on precious metals.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Maybe in 20 years "machines" might have the upper hand.

Right now, Humans have many other means to destroy themselves. When computers are able to make life and death situations, their objectives, then I see a time to worry about human existence.

S&F

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Love it, great thread
by far one of my favorite topics.

I'll look it all over and comment further soon.

S&F

SS

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   

my concern is the rapid development of a.i. and what is even more concerning is the internet itself, there is so much info connected on the inter web that all it takes is a lone virus to glitch out or be boosted by one anomaly in the vast workings of all that is the inter web and boom a.i. has created itself, and now if that virus permeates itself into the inter web and becomes part of it. Our lives as we know it can be turned upside down all because of one rouge virus, sh*t maybe even me typing this sentence is setting up a sequence of events that will create the rouge virus that becomes our next greatest enemy. but if that does happen maybe the people of the world will unite instead of bickering over petty differences.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bleeeeep

On one hand I see robots as the only feasible way to have a fair police force. On the other hand, if they fall into the wrong hands they would be capible of destroying us.

So, I think we should not allow ourselves to create things we cannot contain if some problem where to arise in that creation. Power plants, robots, etc

Having a fair police force means humans understanding humans with human behaviors, idiosyncrasies and traits.. A machine will not determine a possible "mistake" only that it's "Against the law" or "Not allowed".

Jay walk to save a life on the other side of the street and you get arrested.

Peace

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Ive been watching those Darpa bots progress for years now. How anyone can see this as good for 'humanity' or for anything other than oppression of HUMANS seems as crazy as the sick feeling that watching theses things gives me.

Here is a grab bag of bad feelins in my gut.

Somehow I don't see the big dog bringin me a wee bit o schnapps if I be stuck in the mountains...

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
The bi-pedal soldiers are not the only way to go. Take a fully robotic cat, put a hard point on its back for a weapon, several small caliber weapons on the side of its head and goodbye humans.

The only reason we fight bi-pedal is to have the hands free to grasp the weapons. If you do not need to grasp the weapon then four legs are faster, can jump higher, are quieter and can move up steeper inclines.

Of course a robo-pet would be great. Your child could play anywhere in safety. Good way to introduce them. Pet and laptop all in one.

Scary thoughts.

P

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
Having a fair police force means humans understanding humans with human behaviors, idiosyncrasies and traits.. A machine will not determine a possible "mistake" only that it's "Against the law" or "Not allowed".

Jay walk to save a life on the other side of the street and you get arrested.

Peace

You're visualizing a robot that a child may play with. An advanced robot can have a ruleset that accounts for any and all idiosyncrasies. They are only limited by what we teach them.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Have you had to deal with many LEO's and the human understanding they have lately? Seriously though, you are right, and not all people are 'machine men, with machine minds, and machine hearts'. But as easily as the minds of men can be bought and programed, this is just a madman with money away from, well, you can imagine.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Rise of Amee

i want a dozen of those kitty

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
Bodies?

And you tell me to have a good night? Are you freakin' kidding me?

For you jude....

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Slayer,

You, my friend, know how to write a thread.

You had me at

While others worry about rogue planets or potential economic meltdown. These fields of development just keep moving along.

We will never know how much is actually spent on technological developments like these. Nobody cares.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join