It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook Picture of Girl Flipping Off Unknown Soldier Tomb Goes Viral

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by davcwebb
This girl's name is LINDSAY STONE. This is a picture of her disgracing an Unknown Soldier's Tomb at Arlington Cemetary:

She put this picture on her Facebook page thinking it was a joke. It's gone viral and now she in a heap of you know what (deservingly so). She's just about lost her job and her Dad is out front confronting the media.

This was an outrage. Regardless if you're anti-war or not, this is just wrong!

Video

Rebuttle Article

edit on 11/21/12 by davcwebb because: (no reason given)

Hey goofballs...why don't you go look at her facebook page. It was created a whole 16 hours ago.

You have no evidence of ANY of the following items.

1. That this is a real picture and not photoshopped.
2. That somebody else who has it in for whoever Lindsey Stone is didn't crop out the part of the picture where she was flipping off somebody who was ACTUALLY disrespecting the site.
3. Anything else at all. You are relying strictly upon internet hearsay.

I got this same pic sent to me on facebook along with the email addresses of her employer and supervisors.

I tore that guy a new one too. You should be ashamed of yourself.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   
She was flipping the wasp that just stung her on the face.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by SubTruth
It is the government that is the problem not the troops serving.

ok, did I say the troops were a problem?

Many good men and women serve this country so have a little respect.

I am not sure who I was disrespecting in the first place.
I'm sure there are plenty of "good men and women" who serve this country.
In fact, I know there are personally.
What are you getting at here?
edit on 22-11-2012 by Screwed because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I'm surprised to see so many people here demanding respect for soldiers. Shouldn't they be judged on an individual basis like everybody else? I'll tell you this much, I only know a few people in the military, but they sure don't profess protecting freedom. It seems to me that if a soldier were hoping to protect freedom, they would not do it selectively, exchanging the welfare of one group for the freedom of another to live peaceably, or even to live at all. "Defending" freedom implies halting an encroachment. "Attacking" aggression isn't the same thing, is it?

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   
What motivation would she have to do this besides she's an ignorant and heartless you know what? She clearly didn't go to Arlington to pay any respects. What business did she have to go there? And how in the world would anybody in their right mind decide this was a good idea? Whether she agrees with wars here or wars there, I don't really give a rat's ass, and nor should anyone else. This is a memorial to not only the unidentified or fallen soldiers that have never returned home, but to all service men and and women who have given their lives for something they might not have believed in themselves. These people left behind families whom they cared about deeply. This makes me want to do the same thing to one of her loved ones memorials...and then post it on her page. I don't care how trivial that sounds.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Samtzurr
I'm surprised to see so many people here demanding respect for soldiers. Shouldn't they be judged on an individual basis like everybody else? I'll tell you this much, I only know a few people in the military, but they sure don't profess protecting freedom. It seems to me that if a soldier were hoping to protect freedom, they would not do it selectively, exchanging the welfare of one group for the freedom of another to live peaceably, or even to live at all. "Defending" freedom implies halting an encroachment. "Attacking" aggression isn't the same thing, is it?

It is more about the dead and lost solders,like MIA or POW's.

This world has gone to the sh__er.It seems all the younger people have lost

their common morality and dignity.I bet if they were drafted they would have

more respect and compassion.I see so many young people ready to fight

and kill innocent people.It almost like they like being a bad ass.But if they had to serve

in the armed forces and really get a understanding of a real fight and combat.

I really believe it would change the out look on life.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by grayghost
I see so many young people ready to fight and kill innocent people.

Me too.
Alot of them are in the Military.
This is why they are targeted at such a young age.
Lots of testosterone and piss and Vinegar.
Strong backs and weak minds make a great soldier sometimes.

I have many friends who joined the Marine Corps specifically and soley to kill!
Anyone!
Just wanted to be able to kill another human being legally and not go to jail for it.
I'm sure they were just an anomalie though.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by davcwebb

Dear davcwebb,

I come from a military family, was ROTC, was offered a commission and later became a pacifist. More than one of my family were war heroes. I would never disrespect the deceased in such a manner. Having said all that, I think it is horrible that her work is considering firing her because of public opinion regarding something she did that is not illegal, stupid, sure, not illegal.

Ozzie Osborne urinated on the wall of the Alamo and he was forgiven by most. Of course, nobody is sure if he even knew where he was at the time. She was a jerk, she has apologized, we should let her learn from the lesson and move on. I very much doubt she will do such a thing again.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   

djflqwuihegfuvi2g3ehljk3bn4tkoq3'j h Holy crap, I would never do such a thing and post it online.

I don't exactly see how this is funny. Given the context, but I've seen other people do things next to signs saying the opposite as jokes so I guess I can see what she was thinking, but it's at a SOLDIERS EFFING TOMB !!!

I mean, why would you put this online? Did you really think, " OH MAN!!!!! Guys take a picture of me flipping the bird pretending to yell next to this sign. I'll be soooooooooooo popular. "

Really? Really? What the hell!!!

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

I will have to agree with much of your statements there. How ever, I have seen young men in my local, who joined up all gung-hoh and badass, some of them settle down after a good beating in BMQ, when the reality sets in that my training isn't just to kill people, but to save mine and my buddies asses. Others I've seen are loving it, but a year or so in Afg changed them completely. It's one thing to think about killing another person, see pictures, play video games, movies etc, but once it's in your face, in your nostrils, and in some instances on your face it really changes them. It changes everyone, but I really think some of those " Yeah, get some " types need to go actually fight a war for the reality check.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   

It is more about the dead and lost soldiers, like MIA or POWs. This world has gone to the sh__er. It seems all the younger people have lost their common morality and dignity. I bet if they were drafted they would have more respect and compassion. I see so many young people ready to fight and kill innocent people. It's almost like they like being a bad ass. But, if they had to serve in the armed forces and really get an understanding of a real fight and combat - I really believe it would change the outlook on life.

Is there more honor in being a killed or lost soldier? I don't see how. No matter the title the soldier bears (s)he is still applying force injudiciously, relying on just about the oldest way life has of changing others' minds - that is, by destroying the mind. At least those who absolutely oppose war and violence attempt to change minds in ways that don't infringe upon others' ability to make up their minds for themselves. Imagine if anti-war protestors employed the same tactics that soldiers used!

I am not suggesting that soldiers are deserving of disrespect; but rather, I'm saying that they deserve forgiveness more than respect. In the same way, it is claimed that this girl used uncivilized, aggressive actions to direct her frustration at the wrong target! Don't you see how she is making the same mistake that armed forces make? And yet, you can see that it would be misguided to respect her, and the most generous attitude you could offer her is forgiveness.

Better yet, offer her your [term of convenience] ambivalence, because you [term of convenience] have no stake in the way that she chooses to experiment with her life. Was she affecting you, or were you turning your critical eye upon her?

Lastly, I do not want an understanding of "real combat." I would rather respond with forgiveness to those who intend violence toward me. It would not be moral or dignified of me to engage in a fight with somebody, just because they instigated one, would it?

That's just how I see it. I don't think I'm "right." I feel like you must be getting at something that I'm missing. Please don't be offended; I do wonder the extend to which I have been de-humanized by my environment, as if it is sucking some vital energy from me, or blocking avenues of growth that I don't know exist. I am interested in having more lucid thinking, and I hope to learn from you. (I also hope to show a little of the mindset of "younger people," and perhaps convince you that it is good and dignified, albeit different).
edit on 22-11-2012 by Samtzurr because: Peace offering

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Geez get over it.. It´s not like we are living in the year 1625 or something. What do you want to do with her? Burn her alive or stone her to death? We are supposed to be a free country, I don´t condone THAT in any way. But she did not hurt anyone at least not physically. I can understand people are pissed, but this has been seriously overrated IMHO, Take a breath of fresh air and please... carry on
edit on 22-11-2012 by hesse because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   

This world has gone to the sh__er.It seems all the younger people have lost

their common morality and dignity.

old cane shaking at the kids walking on your lawn bit?

Frankly, I have heard more traitorous speak, venomous anti-american language lately coming from my father and his generation than my niece and her new generation.

The older people are moaning (as usual) about the youth..
But todays youth...hell, most of them have a friend who is or has been deployed over in the sandbox. You should actually talk to some of the younger generation today..they actually do have a good head on their sholders more or less.
Don't judge a entire generation by the loudest idiots..every generation has their idiots you wish would lose their voice.

This chick is a moron if the story reads true.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by HawkeyeNation
What she did was wrong, stupid, and just down right ignorant. She had no intentions to harm anyone in her actions but yet now she is going to possibly lose her job and her credibility for the rest of her life over something that was just a poor judgement call? I understand the sensitivity behind it but two wrongs don't make it right. All in all this is just a poor judgement by everyone including those that are dragging her thru the coals.

Yes exactly.

I hate this bloodthirsty vengeance mentality, which seems to be thriving thanks to internet. People are so mad that they seem to lose perspective and now just seek to make her life as miserable as possible. "She deserves it" some will say of course, but that's just retarded and shows that people can't tell the difference between justice and vengeance.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by famalhut
Yes exactly.

I hate this bloodthirsty vengeance mentality, which seems to be thriving thanks to internet. People are so mad that they seem to lose perspective and now just seek to make her life as miserable as possible. "She deserves it" some will say of course, but that's just retarded and shows that people can't tell the difference between justice and vengeance.

(I agree with you)

Imagine if everybody who saw the picture and cared enough to say something to her, said it with patience and a hope of getting through to her, attempting to enlighten her a little bit. She would be feeling grateful right now, rather than seeing herself as a douchebag, as she allegedly called herself. She might already feel bad about herself by not having the perfect figure (I'm not saying I don't think she's beautiful myself, just that she has probably heard enough negativity about her appearance (who hasn't)); now, her most memorable experience with society at large gives the impression that everybody is venomous and judgmental. She will think twice about acting like this in the future, but not out of some greater understanding. She will do it to avoid negative judgment, a subtle torture. This one little negative action is going to reverberate out endlessly, apparently gaining steam as it goes.
edit on 22-11-2012 by Samtzurr because: clarification

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Hijinx

Dear Hijinx,

The lady in question was stupid and cannot possibly understand what it means to be in a combat zone. My father served in Korea, a Marine, Pusan, Inchon and one of the Chosen Few. Every now and then he would still have nightmares about it. I had five family members in theaters of combat at the same time. My father told me that everyone's war is individual, we all see it from our perspective. I loved and respected my father, he paid for my college and always showed me love even though he never understood me, I am autistic. I don't know that I understand me.

Returning soldiers get a raw deal and the VA is a joke for most. Now lets tell the truth. Many joined the military as reservists and never thought they would be called up. We have engaged in torture and President Bush admitted it. When someone tells me they were in the service, I say "Great, why did you join" and for many is was just to get a job, it was not about protecting this country or securing our rights. After they serve in a war zone that all changes. Killing someone is a life changing event.

I believe we need to help those who come back in adjusting and healing. I do not support this woman; but, forgive her for she did not know what she was doing. That is what Jesus said as he died on the cross. If you do not believe in Christ, forgive her for not understanding that which cannot be understood by anyone who has not been their or dealt with the aftermath. Peace.
edit on 22-11-2012 by AQuestion because: spelling

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by zonetripper2065
Well this kind of backfired in her face......love when that happens

This sums up the ego and pathos of Lindsey perfectly. And that truly is an ugly shirt.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Speckle

Originally posted by zonetripper2065
Well this kind of backfired in her face......love when that happens

And that truly is an ugly shirt.

The young child who made it appreciates your feedback. ;-)

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   

It's called anti-social humor, and it is to be seen daily on the television on shows such as Family Guy and American Dad - which these teenagers have grown up with. It's not entirely their fault that they become so jaded and nihilistic. Her humor was meant to be a polar opposite of the sign: Silence and Respect. Whereas she was pretending to yell and giving the middle finger. Her friend who took the picture and herself were probably drunk and just fooling around. Nobody is meant to be snooping around on people's FaceBook pages anyways - especially those of underage teenage girls. So what about that issue? There's always something to get political about. What about the fact that many male soldiers have been caught raping female soliders - and even innocent civilians in foreign countries. Or the fact that the American military is essentially raping and pillaging the entire planet.

So what - one teenage girl makes a silly picture, and this is somehow offensive compared to what I just wrote above? Calm down and get a life...

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 01:56 AM
link   
While her gesture was rude, insensitive, inconsiderate, and no doubt hurtful to family members of those who lay in those graves, and I obviously condemn it, I do not believe that she should be ostracized, out of a job, and a social pariah potentially for the rest of her life (barring major identity concealment) because of it personally. I understand people's outrage and anger, but I cannot agree with what essentially amounts to revenge and possibly outright harassment in my opinion, in response to her act.

I imagine what her life might be like now. She loses her job, everywhere she is recognized people single her out. Her life becomes like that of a scapegoated bully victim in a school. You may say, "Well, she deserves what she gets," but as a couple of other posters have said, do two wrongs really make a right? What about forgiveness and mercy? Are they not worthy pursuits as well?

Just my opinion. Please don't tear me up for it. Peace.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join