It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook Picture of Girl Flipping Off Unknown Soldier Tomb Goes Viral

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
reply to post by FlyersFan

Freedom of speech ... even if it's pure ignorance. That being said ... I hope someday she goes for a government job requiring a security clearance and is turned down for it.

So she should be turned down for a Govt. job, fail a security clearance, which means being placed on the No-Fly list and possibly labelled a potential terrorist for exercising her Freedom of Speech?

How is it Freedom of Speech when your life is ruined for exercising that Freedom?

Peace

Just like yelling "fire" in a crowded theater. You're free to say "fire" but there are consequences for saying it.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Gives me an idea. I'm going to walk in my local Catholic church Sunday (I'm a "lapsed Catholic" and now an agnostic) and exercise my freedom of speech by yelling anti-Catholic, anti-USA rhetoric. I wonder if all those patriotic "Christians" will be tolerant and accomodating of my freedom of speech rights.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by HawkeyeNation
What she did was wrong, stupid, and just down right ignorant. She had no intentions to harm anyone in her actions but yet now she is going to possibly lose her job and her credibility for the rest of her life over something that was just a poor judgement call? I understand the sensitivity behind it but two wrongs don't make it right. All in all this is just a poor judgement by everyone including those that are dragging her thru the coals.

I's not just her.
This is the attitude of society in general.
That's why she thought it would be funny and has poor judgement.
That's how society treats anything that deserves a sliver of respect.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Unbelievable, the things teens do to look "cool" among their friends. Crap like this just has to stop, and they should mature, i'm sure we all would never even think of doing such a thing at this age.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
What twaddle. Clearly joking about the sign and not the soldiers. Even if she were being offensive who cares? People on Facebook act like r tards both those posting pictures they didn't think through and people getting offended.

Think you hit the nail on the head there Domo

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
This is a bloody disgrace. The crucial thing to remember here is, that having an anti war attitude is absolutely fine, as long as you are prepared to respect the choices of others, and the sacrifices made by others. I myself am anti war. However, I respect my forefathers efforts on my behalf, and the behalf of my nation, and I respect the people who go to war, even if I dont agree with the reasons they are sent to fight very often.

This young lady has failed to understand that having a different view, does not permit one to show disrespect to those who do not share it. The finger that she has flipped toward the honourable dead, shows a complete lack of understanding of history, or of individual dignity. Many people who do not agree with war, believe that wars are fought because one group decides that another is some how worth less than the one they belong to. In flipping off this monument, she has shown herself to be the very kind of bigot, that anti war movements usually protest against.

I hope she learns something from this, and I hope that anyone considering acts of such rudeness and disrespect thinks again after seeing the reaction of people to this photograph, and the whole situation as well.

Bad, bad business.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

...and we have the right to tell her just how disrespectful she was. That whole "free speech" thing...odd how it cuts both ways sometimes.

She's obviously not too bright.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I agree that these servicemen deserve respect but apparently SHE did NOT.

It is threads like this which really shines a light on just who amoungst the ATS community is prone to making rational arguements and who is more prone to making emotional arguements.

The emotionally charged threads always fascinate me.
I suppose I am kinda like "Spock" from Star Trec when it comes to issues like these.

I don't understand human emotion sometimes.
I don't understand why or how people can give up so much of their energy to other people who don't effect them WHATSOEVER!!!!!

Being "offended" is something I just can't wrap my head around.
I don't know if there is anything in this world which could offend me but I just know that I can not remember a time where I ever was offended.

Maybe I just don't "care" enough.
More like, I don't GIVE A ####!

People are going to be stupid.
It isn't my job to stop that.
I am not Superman and it isn't my job to save the world and serve up justice to those who desperately need it.
I took off my cape a long time ago.

Some of the people in this thread need to take theirs off as well.
It might serve them well to put down that cross too.
It's got to be pretty damn heavy lugging that thing around.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by seagull

I just asked my husband about your comment. His reply "So tell her what you think of her immaturity, but don't take her living away from her because of it. Why don't you all just put her in front of a firing squad?"

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Silly Bitch.

She would of been in a police cell by now if she was in the UK. Probably not a good thing with the whole freedom of speech thing but people like that deserve to have some sort of ramifications for their pitiful actions.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by broddeb
She would of been in a police cell by now if she was in the UK.

Well, she wasn't.
She was in the United States of America and this type of ignorance and stupidity is protected by our Constitution.
If you don't like that then you simply need to make sure that you don't move here.

Just stay put right where you are in the Good ol UK and and everybody wins.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by SeenMyShare

Say hello for me?

She thought that she could get a sort of fame from being horribly disrespectful towards those who've given everything, including their last breathe. ...and it backfired. Overreaction? Perhaps, in fact probably so. But she's old enough to know about consequences, however. When bucking for fame, one should think about what might happen if it backfires...especially something like this.

Some of her little friends might have thought it amusing...but more did not.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by broddeb

o`rly ?????? - please tell us on what grounds she would be arrested

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by SeenMyShare
reply to post by seagull

I just asked my husband about your comment. His reply "So tell her what you think of her immaturity, but don't take her living away from her because of it. Why don't you all just put her in front of a firing squad?"

Firing squad? No
Take her living away? Yes

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by davcwebb

I understand the girls thoughts and why she would do this, she also took a picture the night before smoking in front of a no-smoking sign. She just should have thought about the location, clearly not the place or time for that # but come on people what ever happened to freedom of speech, freedom of press wins I suppose since she's being labeled a Nazi.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

I feel the same as you, it's moronic but that's what America is all about, having the freedom to be an idiot. Thank you constitution.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by BASSPLYR

I am glad she lost her job. She's a dumb useless twit and an example of what's wrong with the latest generation of kids.

She deserves every bit of ridicule that comes her way!

Also thats a pretty ugly shirt she's wearing. More proof that she's an idiot.
edit on 21-11-2012 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

Seriously? Cherry pick a few dummies and say the whole generation is wrong? Thats just as ignorant a statement as the women in the OP's image. I dont care what generation you are from, you're going to find Idiots. They have always existed and will exist. If you want to make that kind of statement then how about I counter with "Dont blame this Generation, blame the generation that raised us!"

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I also saw comments by a wounded veteran who had no problem with this. Stating that, 'this is what we fought for and she should be able to do as she pleases.', Trying to find that article but I'm having trouble anyone else see that?

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I gotta give her kudos for this epic trolling stunt, the irony is she is getting trolled in turn. She should have done it anonymously that's where she dun goofed. Still hilarious never the less

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
As a vet I agree she has a right to do that, she also has a right be held accountable. Actions have consequences. Being able to make an ass of yourself does not free you from responsibility. Just as the company she works for has a right to decide she does not represent the company in a flattering light and her employment is no longer wanted. She was obviously seeking attention, she got it, although maybe not the type she wanted. Hopefully she learn a life lesson.

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join