It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grammar, its not difficult!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
One of my favourites "A preposition is an incorrect word to end a sentence with"

I before e except after c, unless it is weird.

We are not necessarily smart or literate or wise; we just have internet.

A fuw months ago I culdn't even spel bloger and now I are one.

Priest to altar boy "If you tell, I'll get Jesus to kill your parents"

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Y U NO SPELL TEH SCENTENCES RIAGHT!!

We need a troll face icon

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Grammar nazi's all of you

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
So, is the post loaded with spelling errors an example of what not to do, or did you just realize that everyone is human too?

F A I L

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Grammar; it's not difficult.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Source

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by EasyPleaseMe
reply to post by BlueNose

What annoys me is the now common practice of saying "would of" instead of "would have" etc.

I agree, this is very annoying. I also hate when people say 'I done' instead of 'I have done' or 'I did' (same mistake is made for he/she/they too) and I find myself constantly correcting children when they say that whilst talking to me.
A fairly new one on the circuit seems to be 'jamp' instead of 'jumped'. Where the hell did this come from? I have even heard from my own kids that the teacher in primary school did not correct the children when they said this. Why not, I wonder?
One I keep hearing on the internet is 'drug' instead of 'dragged', 'he drug me out of the house', though this seems primarily used in America, so perhaps it is an Americanisation of the English language.

One that I catch myself saying more often these days, though do not use when I am writing, is 'real quick' instead of 'really quickly'. *Hangs head in shame and blushes!

Spelling/typos are not a problem as such and are usually just little mistakes, often due to the way the person pronounces the word, however, errors like 'jamp' and poorly constructed sentences using things like 'would of' or indeed 'would ov' rather than 'would have', have no allowable excuses when the person's native language is English.

I have noticed though, that errors seem to come and go like a fashion or phase. I remember a time when it seemed common/fashionable to end every sentence with the word 'but' e.g. 'I don't know what that is, but' 'Aye ah ken, but'. More recently the word 'random' seems to be used rather randomly and in odd context.
Where do these come from? Is this some sort of conspiracy to bastardise the English language and change the meaning of words in order to lessen their meaning and impact? Is it being pushed via the tv? Anyone know?

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   

"It's"

Grammar, it is not difficult.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I love this thread because I am a spelling nazi

Most of the post are readable even though words are misspelled or grammar is incorrect or words that sound alike are misused.

What amazes me is the number of people who are educated and misuse then and than. It drives me nuts. And the posters who ask us to bare with him/her.....I want to write an answer post telling them I will not get naked with them.

We all misspell occasionally if not more often and I know I am a(n) horrible typist.
I'm not much of a grammar nazi because I have forgotten most of what I learned in school.

I don't think most of the grammar and spelling errors occur because some people's brains work differently, I think it is because the brains either aren't working or they never really learned to begin with. How many hours do students spend learning the difference between your and you're or their, they're and there today?

I'm not really trying to be mean here, I just really deplore our public schools.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by xenthuin

I purposefully use "I could care less" when that is precisely what I mean.

When I say that, what I actually mean is: "if you think that I am callous about (subject), then you should know that it is possible for me to care even less than my present level of caring."

Sometimes, something is so completely useless to me that I could NOT care less about it because I am presently unable to remove any more care for (subject) than I already have.

Yeah, but "I couldn't care less" is the original expression, meaning to tell someone that you totally don't care about what they're saying, or whatever it is. People even on TV use "I could care less" in an attempt to communicate that they don't care at all, but they are misusing that expression entirely and they ARE IDIOTS!

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Grammar is a social construct.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trustfund
Grammar is a social construct.

Yes, grammar is a social construct...so that people can get the true meaning of a sentence. Without proper grammar construction a sentence can mean something entirely different than what the author intended.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpearMint
"I could care less" is almost as annoying as the incorrect use of "their", "they're", "there", "your" and "you're".

I had trouble with this as a child.. sometimes (unless when tired still happens), but I think I have it sorted out now. Not sure, check my work

Now there they go again, leaving their garbage sit in their own yard, as they're going inside without cleaning up their own mess... again.

PS~If it's wrong I could care less..

edit on 18-11-2012 by RobinB022 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lazarus Short
Grammar, water bag icer gut! Ah nervous sausage bag ice!!

[If you can say where that came from, the duck comes down, and you get $100 (not really).]

Ladle Rat Rotten Hut
by H. L. Chace

Grammar is not as important as thought. Grammar is there to help transmit thought, but most of us are smart and we can still see what someone means if the grammar is slightly off. If there's a mispelling, you can still figure things out. Usually, there's context...

..people who nitpick grammar don't want to go deeper. They don't want think deeply about what a person is saying and either criticize or agree with the thought. They just want a simple reason to be able to write the person off.

Grammar is Important... Just not as important as you think

edit on 18-11-2012 by RedmoonMWC because: to add

Besides English can be confusing, example:
your and you're, weather/wheather or their, they're and there and let us not forget which witch is which, or how about to, too and two ??Does that equal 2 or 6??

edit on 18-11-2012 by RedmoonMWC because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedmoonMWC

..people who nitpick grammar don't want to go deeper. They don't want think deeply about what a person is saying and either criticize or agree with the thought. They just want a simple reason to be able to write the person off.

Now that's the most profound thing yet said on this thread.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by RedmoonMWC

Studying the rules and becoming familiar with them is what allows you to intelligently break them, with respect to writing that is.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Sometimes I will write in a dialect for effect, like Mark Twain.

It is important though, when you do that, that your audience know you well enough to know yer not igner't...

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by RobinB022

You got the hang of it

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Grammar, its not difficult!

Apparently it is, for you.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   

but for the record, I hate it when they fail to negate "I couldn't care less"

top topics