It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grammar, its not difficult!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lazarus Short

Originally posted by cody599
If you're going to make a post about grammar then at least put the apostrophe in.
It's, it's not its.
Respect for your gallant attempt at educating the masses, Good luck with that one.

No - it should read like this:

It is, "it's" not "its."

How does that saying go, "English does not borrow from other languages. English follows other languages down dark alleys, knocks them down, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar." Did I get that right?

edit on 19-11-2012 by Lazarus Short because: lah-de-dah

Quoted for being right!

One could argue that a conjunction is out of place too...should read "it is"!

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by OpenMindedMommy
reply to post by BlueNose

I have a friend who constantly says common phrases totally wrong. It happens multiple times when i speak with her, because she really loves to say these types of cliche phrases, but again, they are always just a bit off. Last night I wrote 3 of them down so I could tell my husband because I always forget.

- "its a total catch 21"
- "I am just at my ends wits"
- "she expects me to be there at the dime of a hat"

Huh? LOL! I just laugh to myself whenever she does this. She's a friend of mine so I can't get too annoyed about it. But in general, this kind of stuff makes me nuts! The worst one is, "irregardless". IT IS NOT A WORD!

I feel your pain but irregardless of whether or not it is accepted it is a valid expression.

Usage note
Irregardless is considered nonstandard because of the two negative elements ir- and -less. It was probably formed on the analogy of such words as irrespective, irrelevant, and irreparable. Those who use it, including on occasion educated speakers, may do so from a desire to add emphasis.

irregardless

Usage Note: Irregardless is a word that many mistakenly believe to be correct usage in formal style, when in fact it is used chiefly in nonstandard speech or casual writing. Coined in the United States in the early 20th century, it has met with a blizzard of condemnation for being an improper yoking of irrespective and regardless and for the logical absurdity of combining the negative ir- prefix and -less suffix in a single term. Although one might reasonably argue that it is no different from words with redundant affixes like debone and unravel, it has been considered a blunder for decades and will probably continue to be so.

Nonstandard Regardless

That being said it does have its uses.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by jeantherapy

Originally posted by PurpleChiten
Us Math and Science teachers talk about you guys when you're not listening

That's okay, everyone knows that nobody ever committed the crime of vivisection in the pursuit of the English language, can't say the same for you proud scientists however.

I stay away from the biological sciences

...but I can bisect the heck out of an angle!!!

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by CthulhuMythos
I remember a time when it seemed common/fashionable to end every sentence with the word 'but' e.g. 'I don't know what that is, but' 'Aye ah ken, but'. More recently the word 'random' seems to be used rather randomly and in odd context.
Where do these come from? Is this some sort of conspiracy to bastardise the English language and change the meaning of words in order to lessen their meaning and impact? Is it being pushed via the tv? Anyone know?

The people in the part of Scotland I visit still do say "but" at the end of sentences. They also say "how" instead of "why".

I've noticed the change in the language over my lifetime and I think sayings on popular TV programs are often the culprit.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by EasyPleaseMe

AH, I have to admit, the 'how' instead of 'why' I actually am guilty of saying myself *blush! Maybe it is a shortened version of 'how come', ok ok ... just looking for justification here lol.
I don't always say it but I do say it a fair bitty! Though when it comes to written English, I do try to do that in wot is considered a prop'r manner, gov!

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Here are a few that really jerk my crank.

"That gives me an ideal for a new project!"
Everything has it's place.
Preventative maintenance.
"I still need to unthaw something for supper."
"You're wrong, except it."
"I don't need a hot water heater, I need a cold water heater!"

(Please, please, please don't let there be any errors in this post!)

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   
This has been brought up so many times.

Instead of being annoyed, understand it is a form of communication that is unique to Americans.

It is a unique form of sarcasm.

There is some suggestion that the phrase “I could care less” may have been adopted because it fit into certain Yiddish phrases that deliberately mean the opposite and can be viewed as sarcastic. Such phrases include, “I should be so lucky,” which really means you’re not likely to have the luck. Another phrase, “Tell me about it,” means the opposite. It’s merely a way to agree with the speaker. Alternately, speaking the term “Testify!” as used in certain Christian churches, is a similar agreement that seldom means someone is actually going to sit down or stand up and give a testimony of how they converted to Christianity.

wisegeek.com

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Anytime the possessive is used incorrectly, which seems to be happening everywhere.
Free CD's
More pic's
An order of multiple brake rotor's

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join