It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grammar, its not difficult!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I'd like to start by saying that this is not a dig purely directed at ats users or any one group in particular...

Right, i can't be the only one who gets wound up by the constantly used phrases like 'i could care less'? There are more but this one royally grinds my gears! Obviously if you could care less you DO care!

Also, is anyone else noticing that in news stories online there seems to be a competition between (the authors of) said stories to stick bloody brackets in where there's no need for them?

Trivial matters i know but it boils my urine!
edit on 17-11-2012 by BlueNose because: Spelt grammar wrong in the title... Now THAT, Allanis Morisette, is Ironic!

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Grammar.........

+15 more 
posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
It's not difficult.
edit on 17-11-2012 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Spelling!!!

2nd l

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by savageheart
Grammar.........

Yes, caught that one before the edit also.
Oh the irony!

link   
I

I know what you rant, though. I notice such mistakes immediately, but cannot expect everyone here to be keen on all the rules and idioms of English.
edit on 17-11-2012 by ecapsretuo because: (no reason given)

link   
It is when you have low blood pressure, dyslexic and half drunk.

I epoh uoy nac daer siht.

edit on 17-11-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Lol, the irony isn't lost on me. Star for all who corrected me!

2nd

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by BlueNose

I purposefully use "I could care less" when that is precisely what I mean.

When I say that, what I actually mean is: "if you think that I am callous about (subject), then you should know that it is possible for me to care even less than my present level of caring."

Sometimes, something is so completely useless to me that I could NOT care less about it because I am presently unable to remove any more care for (subject) than I already have.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by xenthuin

This post i like! If you couldn't care less then say so. Bad english is becoming the norm, sometimes from the same people who complain about the dumbing down of society!

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

I suppose one out of three isn't bad!

?ti si dnuor s'ohW

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   

So you intentionally do exactly what makes your blood boil? You should be on HBO.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Besides the blondeness, I don't have enough O2 going to the brain right now. So, excuse me if I can't fit your fancy with Grammar. We all are not perfect.

edit on 17-11-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

+5 more 
posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Hlelo Bulnesoe..............

Dno't wrory aubot the slpeling (or gamrmer) mtae

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid. Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig, huh ? Yaeh, and I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt !

Now mroe iprmoatnlty, wehre are all the UFO's

(Standard reply for spelling / grammar Nazi's)

(Pats you on the back and says "There, Their, They're")

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
"I could care less" is almost as annoying as the incorrect use of "their", "they're", "there", "your" and "you're".

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by DarknStormy

I agree, although being from this side of the pond the best i can hope for is a 2am slot on BBC2 when anyone with half a brain is in bed.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

I'm not here to judge, but where does the bad grammar get picked up? The example i gave seems like a ridiculously overused phrase right now. I mean, I'm sure you were good at speaking england when you were a children?

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpearMint
"I could care less" is almost as annoying as the incorrect use of "their", "they're", "there", "your" and "you're".

I could care less that their getting it rong, but it's when you tell them and they get all indignant about it, that really spins my nipples... Because you just know they're going to do it again on purpose because 'if you can't tell what they mean then you're just stupid.' as if it's acceptable to be an idiot just because you own an iphone.

O.o

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Cheer up. Hennig Brand discovered phosphorus around 1669 by boiling urine. There's light at the end of the tunnel [(so to speak)].

edit on 17-11-2012 by EnochWasRight because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Sublimecraft

I have read that before and it is amazing how easy it is to read. I still hate it though when someone presents a very credible argument and then ends with 'i could care less' about or some similar oxymoron.
edit on 17-11-2012 by BlueNose because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join