Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Grammar, its not difficult!

page: 2
14
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

log in

join

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlueNose
reply to post by xenthuin
 


This post i like! If you couldn't care less then say so. Bad english is becoming the norm, sometimes from the same people who complain about the dumbing down of society!





Bad english is becoming the norm,


You do know that English is not every members primary language at ATS don't you?
My wife's primary language is Mandarin Chinese and I also speak Mandarin. We mostly use her native language when we are shopping or looking to buy a new car,or standing in line,,,, That drives those Nosy Old Busy Bodies Crazy

So, I have to imagine our thought process and spelling and writing skills diminish here at ATS,,,,,,, BUT You Know What?
I Could Care Less
edit on 17-11-2012 by guohua because: Spell Check




posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpearMint
"I could care less" is almost as annoying as the incorrect use of "their", "they're", "there", "your" and "you're".


You forgot its and it's.

English is and always has been a work in progress. It is a living thing, constantly changing. At this point in time even dictionaries are having a hard time keeping up. Phrases such as 'That's wicked' have completely different meanings than they did just 30 years ago.

I suggest you chill and lower your expectations. After all your education system doesn't care so what chance does the current generation have.

Live and let be. Chill

P



posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by guohua
 


Fair point. What gets me is people for whom english is their first language but who basically can't be arsed to use it properly. Sometimes it's clear from what they post they're not thick, they just choose to deny their own ignorance, that is deny that they're being ignorant.



posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by BlueNose
 


OK, I personally blame the shortcuts taking in writing a text to whomever. I've notice that sometimes the words are not spelled out completely.
But, I am more than likely wrong and it's just the next phase of development for the human brain and it's concept of the written language

Just Kidding,,, I Could Care Less



posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend
 


Yeah - I'm Like "whats you're problem hear", they're is nothing rong wuth the way I spell. There not very nice having a go at me.

They're must bee a better way two explane myself.

Shorely...........



posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
This thread gave me such a laugh with everyone's tongue-in-cheek answers, though I do sympathise with your original rant.
I too get very fed up with forums/posts with socking grammar and spelling, not so much on here but in general around the internet and youtube seems to be particularly bad.
I can see the point of a little 'textese' when in a fast flowing conversation in text, e.g. when you are gaming and you use 'ur' or 2moz etc, but in general communication it is vital to be able to be understood by everyone. I have seen messages where the shortened words are so short or are written as the person would say them in their accent, I have absolutely no bloody idea what the person is trying to say. What people who do this don't seem to realise is that it makes them appear really thick.

I think the most worrying aspect is that a lot of teenagers and kids a little older, having been brought up on mobile phones for communication (even texting their friend who is sitting right next to them!!! *rolls eyes), are now at the stage that it is almost impossible to actually write in formal well structured English. Employers must be so despondent when they see application forms coming in.



posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by guohua

Originally posted by BlueNose
reply to post by xenthuin
 


This post i like! If you couldn't care less then say so. Bad english is becoming the norm, sometimes from the same people who complain about the dumbing down of society!





Bad english is becoming the norm,


You do know that English is not every members primary language at ATS don't you?
My wife's primary language is Mandarin Chinese and I also speak Mandarin. We mostly use her native language when we are shopping or looking to buy a new car,or standing in line,,,, That drives those Nosy Old Busy Bodies Crazy

So, I have to imagine our thought process and spelling and writing skills diminish here at ATS,,,,,,, BUT You Know What?
I Could Care Less
edit on 17-11-2012 by guohua because: Spell Check


I hope all those commas and random capitalization is just there as an attempt to annoy people...



posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Heres yin for ee, dis onybody type words n phrases oot the way ee would actually say thum? Ah bide in the ershole o scotland and ma hame toon hev got a language ah o oor ain
edit on 17-11-2012 by BlueNose because: (no reason given)



posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by pheonix358

Originally posted by SpearMint
"I could care less" is almost as annoying as the incorrect use of "their", "they're", "there", "your" and "you're".


You forgot its and it's.

English is and always has been a work in progress. It is a living thing, constantly changing. At this point in time even dictionaries are having a hard time keeping up. Phrases such as 'That's wicked' have completely different meanings than they did just 30 years ago.

I suggest you chill and lower your expectations. After all your education system doesn't care so what chance does the current generation have.

Live and let be. Chill

P


Yes but correct grammar, punctuation and spelling doesn't change fast at all, it's that just new phrases appear and meanings are created or changed.
edit on 17-11-2012 by SpearMint because: (no reason given)



posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Grammar, water bag icer gut! Ah nervous sausage bag ice!!

[If you can say where that came from, the duck comes down, and you get $100 (not really).]



posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Grammar, it's not that important.



posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Have a heart people, not everyone thinks the way that you do




English spelling is famous for being difficult - some people think it's amazing that any English children learn to spell accurately. Many people do have particular difficulty because their brains are organised in such a way that the skills needed for spelling do not come automatically. This difficulty is sometimes described as dyslexia.


Spelling and Dyslexia



posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by earthalien50
Have a heart people, not everyone thinks the way that you do




English spelling is famous for being difficult - some people think it's amazing that any English children learn to spell accurately. Many people do have particular difficulty because their brains are organised in such a way that the skills needed for spelling do not come automatically. This difficulty is sometimes described as dyslexia.


Spelling and Dyslexia


Most of the time Dyslexia is not involved, and it wouldn't affect things like "I could care less".
edit on 17-11-2012 by SpearMint because: (no reason given)



posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by BlueNose
 


Actually it is a little difficult depending on whether you are left or right brain dominant. Its not difficult for you because you are lucky enough to have the correctly corresponding brain for the task. Others don't. It isn't anything that should bother you though because that just means they are better than you are at something else - just not grammar. Wouldn't it be great if 91% of our country were literate like the people of Costa Rica where education is government sponsored and a priority?

Rather than everyone use proper grammar I would be happy if everyone could just read and write.



posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint
 


Well you are right with that aspect.

"I could care less".

I deal with day to day to problems, "I get yelled at constantly".

When I come home.

"I care less".

It's my time.

I dealt with the trouble teen that had cops here every night, I deal with the mother that denies hypochondriacs but says her kid has this, I work my arse off, and I go to school at the same time while trying to keep A's.

So, you tell me........


Can I have my time or not?

I'm entitled to have my time... Simple as that.

And if it isn't perfect then, that's your problem.

Then everyone wonders why, my blood pressure is so low.

Gee, I have no clue with trying to juggle everything.

I bust my arse for everyone around me that I should get my own time to myself.

Period.
edit on 17-11-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)



posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpearMint
Most of the time Dyslexia is not involved, and it wouldn't affect things like "I could care less".
edit on 17-11-2012 by SpearMint because: (no reason given)


Other posters mentioned spelling, my response was to them. If the post was off topic, my apologies.



posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by earthalien50
 


You are not off topic. I think faster than the brain or the brain thinks faster then I type.

Don't be sorry for what you post.
edit on 17-11-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)



posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater
reply to post by SpearMint
 


Well you are right with that aspect.

"I could care less".

I deal with day to day to problems, "I get yelled at constantly".

When I come home.

"I care less".

It's my time.

I dealt with the trouble teen that had cops here every night, I deal with the mother that denies hypochondriacs but says her kid has this, I work my arse off, and I go to school at the same time while trying to keep A's.

So, you tell me........


Can I have my time or not?

I'm entitled to have my time... Simple as that.

And if it isn't perfect then, that's your problem.

Then everyone wonders why, my blood pressure is so low.

Gee, I have no clue with trying to juggle everything.

I bust my arse for everyone around me that I should get my own time to myself.

Period.
edit on 17-11-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)


Not sure what this has to do with grammar and correct phrases.



posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint
 


It has everything to do with my posts, and the Grammar is always off.

I do see it, but it's too late to correct it.

And, I'm sorry.

But, I am one of the few that do fall in this category.



posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by BlueNose
 


I COULD care less about grammar. Sometimes I try to do it right, other times, I just don't give shAAt!

I do, however, feel kind of weird about the ad in the OP? What's up with that? Maybe it's just me? The word 'Start' is a clickable ad?





new topics

top topics



 
14
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

log in

join