It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Red Flag Over the Atlantic

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I'm not sure where this belongs but decided to open a thread under this forum. This is a tough situation for the people of Azores. The diminishing role of the USAF Base (Lajes Field) is catching the attention of the Chinese. It carries a strategic entry point into the atlantic region for the Chinese. Its not a paranoia or time to panic but something to re-consider should USAF decide to close the base in the future. Currently it supports NATO and joint USAF missions but nothing major or critical.

Terceira, however, has one big attraction for Beijing: Air Base No. 4. Better known as Lajes Field, the facility where Premier Wen’s 747 landed in June is jointly operated by the U.S. Air Force and its Portuguese counterpart. If China controlled the base, the Atlantic would no longer be secure. From the 10,865-foot runway on the northeast edge of the island, Chinese planes could patrol the northern and central portions of the Atlantic and thereby cut air and sea traffic between the U.S. and Europe. Beijing would also be able to deny access to the nearby Mediterranean Sea.

LINK
Your thoughts/comments/viewpoints/opinions please.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   
If true then that is just plain scary. I am sure if it were true there is no way the US would leave itself exposed like that let alone all those regions vulnerable. There has to be something we are not seeing or know here.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flint2011
If true then that is just plain scary. I am sure if it were true there is no way the US would leave itself exposed like that let alone all those regions vulnerable. There has to be something we are not seeing or know here.

Does the US care about what the Chinese think about their armada of warships close to the Chinese coast and all the US bases in the Asian region?

I say it would just be fair, if the Chinese do the same.

I addition to that Russian military bases in Cuba and Mexico with missile defense systems would be interesting as well, don't you think?

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I'm not sure that China is in the position to support a long term deployment on those levels just yet. In a few years probably, but right this minute I'm not sure they have the logistical training to do it.

But I don't see the Air Force closing this base any time soon. Even if it doesn't have much going through, it's an important stopping point for planes having problems on the way to Europe. In 2004, there were 3,000 fighters that stopped through in the course of a year for fuel. It also supports a communications squadron at the base.

Eventually they are probably going to close it down, but not right away.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by ALF88

Originally posted by Flint2011

Does the US care about what the Chinese think about their armada of warships close to the Chinese coast and all the US bases in the Asian region?
I say it would just be fair, if the Chinese do the same.
I addition to that Russian military bases in Cuba and Mexico with missile defense systems would be interesting as well, don't you think?

Who knows who cares about what the Chinese think. If we (US) are the superpower (militarily) then we will/need to protect our strategic interests. Its that simple. On the other hand, the russians did try but couldn't sustain/support their efforts financially.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Interesting read, but comes off to me more like paranoia than anything else.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by sheepslayer247
Interesting read, but comes off to me more like paranoia than anything else.
Propoganda by who and for whom? I considered the article to be a precaution/reminder from time to time.
edit on 16-11-2012 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
I'm not sure that China is in the position to support a long term deployment on those levels just yet. In a few years probably, but right this minute I'm not sure they have the logistical training to do it.

But I don't see the Air Force closing this base any time soon. Even if it doesn't have much going through, it's an important stopping point for planes having problems on the way to Europe. In 2004, there were 3,000 fighters that stopped through in the course of a year for fuel. It also supports a communications squadron at the base.

Eventually they are probably going to close it down, but not right away.
I agree. If not anything, it can still play a major role in the near future (should the conflict(s) escalate in the ME region).

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ALF88

Very fair assessment for sure. Still scary as helk to me either way. I stil say there is something missing here or something that we are not aware of if this were to happen. No way would the US allow such a strategic mishap like this to happen.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

That was my point exactly. I can't see the US doing something that stupid. I can't see that base closing and allowing something that blatant to occur. Is there any evidence that proves this base is closing anytime soon?

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Flint2011

Nothing to say it's closing, but they have been undergoing long stretches where no aircraft at all have gone through the base. Sometimes only one or two in a couple of months. They haven't said anything about closing it though.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Nothing to say it's closing, but they have been undergoing long stretches where no aircraft at all have gone through the base. Sometimes only one or two in a couple of months. They haven't said anything about closing it though.

So it's all speculation then? Go figure. I won't worry about this then. This thread must have gone over my head somehow. Thanks.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Yeah, there won't be anything until the next round of BRAC meetings, which is god only knows when. But with the location of this base, and the importance of it for emergencies if nothing else, I don't see this one getting closed any time soon.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Yeah, there won't be anything until the next round of BRAC meetings, which is god only knows when. But with the location of this base, and the importance of it for emergencies if nothing else, I don't see this one getting closed any time soon.
Well..sequestration will have some impact? The next round of BRAC meetings I would guess would be 2015. Generally its done every 10 years I believe.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

Sequestration will have an effect more on the planes that would be using the base more than the base. As far as I know it's cutting equipment, and not closing any bases. I believe base closures requires BRAC meetings.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 04:26 AM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

Last time I checked, the Azores are part of Portugal, and Portugal is a NATO member. If you're worried about the Chinese taking over a closed base there, then you ought to worry about closed bases in Greenland, Iceland, Denmark, Norway, England, Germany, France, Spain and Portugal proper -- amongst others. There have also been base closings in the US. Should we be worrying about the commies taking over those old bases too?

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 04:58 AM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

the more america holds a foot on china the more indebted america is to its own chi n's and all. tactical advantages are crucial to the art of love and war. if there be a greater union or grand meaning behind the intent of a tactical position for yin in yang im sure tao will know.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 06:55 AM
link   
I say close that base right now. Let the Europeans worry about it for a change. We're broke. What part of 16 trillion in debt do you dim wits not understand?

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
It won't happen, it's a strategic Air Force and Naval location. Back in 05 [snip] was involved in securing an area of Sri Lanka for a heavy aircraft landing, takeoff, and refueling Base. This covered a huge otherwise uncovered, or difficult to cover area. This provided a strategic base for Middle East operations, one that was iffy with Egypt.
edit on 18-11-2012 by Plotus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   

If true then that is just plain scary. I am sure if it were true there is no way the US would leave itself exposed like that let alone all those regions vulnerable. There has to be something we are not seeing or know here

even after benghazi? 9/11

im not sure they even know wtf they are doing anymore let alone assume they will or will not protect themselves or us, heh. if there is something to exploit/make money, such as another 9/11 and stock markets, you can bet they would leave it open ^^

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join