It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walmart Black Friday Nationwide Walkout

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by gnosticagnostic

...so if anything, we should be upset at Walmart for encouraging a foodstamp-caste society?

Walmart is indirectly benefiting from the foodstamp program by forcing its employees to go on foodstamps and spend their money there.

So it would seem to me that Walmart is the biggest beneficiary of the foodstamp program in the nation!

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by MystikMushroom
reply to post by gnosticagnostic

...so if anything, we should be upset at Walmart for encouraging a foodstamp-caste society?

Walmart is indirectly benefiting from the foodstamp program by forcing its employees to go on foodstamps and spend their money there.

So it would seem to me that Walmart is the biggest beneficiary of the foodstamp program in the nation!

Sounds like quite a plan.... a devious horrible plan.... but beautiful in its ingeniousness and simplicity. They have developed their own self-perpetuating ecosystem.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

well they will be able to get jobs at walmart now and dance like this
)

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints

Originally posted by Hefficide

Does this mean I won't have to stand in line for 12 hours to get one of the cheap computers they'll be advertising but will run out of 28 seconds into the plastic being ripped off of the pallet?

If so then I fully support it.

~Heff

I doubt it.
It will be a thin line of defensive picketers facing waves of marauding shoppers.

It would be like the Spartans.
Instead of the three hundred it would be the three dozen.
They hold off the initial assault at the grocery entrance with a cart barricade and wet floor sign. The pharmacy entrance is impassable as they have built a wall with kitty litter barrels, christmas trees and an entire "as seen on tv" display. things are fine for awhile until a disgruntled cart boy leads the shoppers in through the quick lube entrance. Then the picketers are taken from behind by the exiting shoppers.

Need a theme song.

OMG Badge, "The Dirty Dozen"'ll do fine LMAO.
Travel light 'n' fast...second.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
In my case, I've been without formal paycheck for over 2 years now. No unemployment was available, and even Walmart around here is either not hiring or calling many people back at any rate. So if the Walmart workers around here would like to strike, I'd love to see it. I'll very happily take their job at whatever the Min. wage currently sits at. After 2+ years of hearing about over-qualifications, bad economies and general 100:1 odds on apps to a job opening....I have no doubt Wal-Marts in this area would have those positions filled with grateful people, ready to work with bells on...by the end of the business day.

I can see raising a stink for better wages and conditions when it's a job seekers market as it was until a few years ago in many, if not most areas of the nation. Now though? Heck... Go ahead and complain early and often. The sound you may hear behind you is the line of anxious people ready to replace anyone who doesn't like the work they DO have...and do it without a second's hesitation or complaint, IMO.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I really hope these people do walk out. I hope the company learns something from this even if they do fire everyone and hires more folks. perhaps the American people will not buy from wal-mart enough to cause the company to change the policies for the next workers.

For those who lose the jobs, don't worry. You Don't Need a JOB. I haven't had a job in 5 years and I have everything I need and want. I work for myself when I want to work. You can go to Home Depo and learn skills for free that people will pay you to do to keep you afloat - and possibly make more money than in that wal-mart job anyway. I do quite well working part time for myself, by myself and only when I feel like working. You can too.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by CranialSponge
It all comes down to a really simply equation...

Don't like your job ?
Then quit.

Plain and simple.

No sympathy from me... there will be 200 people lining up to take your job for you.

It's pathetically delusional thinking to expect to make higher wages when you're working an unskilled labour-type job at a discount retail store. The company is not there to hold your hand, they're in business to make profit.

Don't like it ?
Then quit and go work for Dunkin' Donuts.

Wake up.

I couldn't agree more!

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   

reply to post by badgerprints

I think you doubt which way public opinion will sway. Remember, Obama just won the election.

If shoppers are inconvenienced on Black Friday at Walmart -- I think they'll blame the parent company more than the employees. Not everyone has a "survival of the fittest, screw everyone else but me" mentality.

If Walmart is crippled on the largest shopping day of the year from walkouts and voluntary boycotts -- it would send a message -- one I think at least half the country would support.

Obama now runs all public opinion?
Is he giving out wal-mart gift cards to voters now?

I think the jury is out on who will be held responsible for a black Friday fiasco. It would probably differ based on location. We can agree to disagree but I just see it as a step in the wrong direction.

If they really want to get changes then they need to do it as a united group and do it long enough to make a real difference. Even a black friday shutout won't make the Walton family blink. It would need to be for weeks.

It goes back to economics.
Even with a company as big as walmart, you can't expect people to live off of entry level stocking and checker jobs.

edit on 16-11-2012 by badgerprints because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
they should look at hostess

you work at walmart

suck it up or leave

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by repeatoffender

She got that Louisianna Purchase card!

That is frightening! And a little bit catchy!

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
This is in a direct reply to all the consumerist/capitalist forum members.

From time to time I like to inject things to consider. If you as a consumerist/capitalist/conservative want to debate further with me -- please take the time to watch the video included in this post.

Terence McKenna was the Timothy Leary of the "80's generation". Granted, Leary had some highfalutin and misguided ideals -- but the man was educated and grasped a larger picture. The same can be said for McKenna.

The degrees T. McKenna obtained from UC Berkley aren't easy. Terence's brother is still a Ethno-botanist and professor in British Columbia. I've actually exchanged emails with Dennis once a few years ago -- and he encouraged me and detailed the programs offered at his college.

I challenge anyone that disagrees with the Walmart walk-out to watch this video. It's less than 4 minutes of your time. Please don't reply about the video below unless you have seen the whole thing.

Having watched that, I think we as a society can do better.
edit on 16-11-2012 by MystikMushroom because: spelling; no format changes

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
OT side note:

The store was completely sold out of Twinkie's today.

I couldn't justify spending $4.50 on a box of "zingers". We all know about the Twinkie shelf life; but what about those guys?

And yes -- that is approximately how much a box of Hostess products cost here!

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   

OT side note:

The store was completely sold out of Twinkie's today.

I couldn't justify spending $4.50 on a box of "zingers". We all know about the Twinkie shelf life; but what about those guys?

And yes -- that is approximately how much a box of Hostess products cost here!

They are collectors items now

They'll stay "fresh" for decades to come.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

No truer words spoke.

We are governed by the least of us. This world has more than enough resources to feed us all, more than enough knowledge to teach us all, more than enough technology to free us all.

But profit must come before people.

How sick is that.

P.s. I support this walkout fully. But I do feel for those that might lose their jobs. I've been homeless and hungry, its not fun.

I am sickened that for the sake of a little profit the very few fat-cats at the top will suffer nothing, while the many at the bottom will lose what little they have left.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Wow, I have to tell people about this.....Walmart may be hiring next Saturday.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I guess the Hostess workers will have a new place to work after Friday...

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   

The workers, who are part of a union-backed employee coalition called Making Change at Wal-Mart, say this is the beginning of a wave of protests and strikes leading up to next week’s Black Friday. A thousand store protests are planned in Chicago, Dallas, Miami, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Milwaukee, Los Angeles, Minnesota, and Washington, D.C., the group says.

www.businessweek.com...

Not nation-wide, but in some large cities yes

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by tinker9917

Shucks...not up here. Guess I can forget about telling others of the job openings. That's all right, the workers up here were going to be too busy working to strike anyway.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by AdamOver

Ah, but what they forget is that without the rest of us their money has no value.

Our economy is integral to the world's economy. If our American economic system collapses, the consequences will reverberate through this world, and I dare not think of the full gravity of the effects.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 12:59 AM
link   
If this does nothing else but bring media attention to Walmart, and hopefully its business practices -- perhaps it's worth it?

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join