Walmart Black Friday Nationwide Walkout

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by fleabit

YOU GO... great attitude.. I love it.. someone in American with work ethics? OMG

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   
This kind of stuff did not work out well for Hostess.

They won't go under, but I don't think it will go well for these employees. Not in this economy.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

How do you make enough money to live? You live with your mom?

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by ceranko
You should not work for anything less than ten dollars and hour, because your going to have to get two jobs to live, unless you bunk with four people in a one bedroom apt and share rent you can do this if you can rough it and live with your bunkmates. I did this two guys in the "Living Room and Two in the bedroom seperated by partitions. It sucks yeah but when you consider it just a place to sleep and wash its not so bad. We had plenty of money to party and travel. But you have to do this with people you trust no freeloaders. Its like living in a hostel. I miss college.
edit on 17-11-2012 by ceranko because: (no reason given)

This.

Lets put things in perspective:

At $10 an hour, fourty (40) hours a week that would be $800 a paycheck or $1,600 a month.

If you figure in about 23% in deductions (state and federal taxes, social security, medicare) that about $368 dollars a month. That puts a single individual's monthly income roughly about $1232 a month to live on, or $616 every paycheck.

I'm sure most of the people that disagree with the Walmart walkout make more than $616 a paycheck.
edit on 18-11-2012 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Ya know what I hope all the employees walk out of every single Walmart on Black Friday. Since Old man Walton died.(may god rest his soul) his kids have made a place that actually stood for the american way, and are running it like it is a dictatership. The managers there are rude and degrading. I worked at my local WALLY world, and I have had people tell me they will not go there because I wasn't there to help them. I had a long running joke when I worked there, that if you see a truck load of Nikes and Kool-aid come in you'd better run. I came to that conclusion when I was doing CBL's, Its not a chain store, it's a Cult, Anyone who who has gone through training there can attest to this fact.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Urantia1111
Oh Terrible Walmart! If only you didn't exist! Then Mom&Pop Inc could employ those millions of people and pay them $50k a year with generous benefits and retirement package to jocky registers, stock shelves and sweep floors.

Walmart is the new paradigm of employment for unskilled workers. They're paid what they're worth. Since practically anyone can do the job and there are thousands who WILL do it for what Walmart pays, a strike is pointless.

In 1980 working full time at McDonalds was enough to support yourself, a spouse, and a kid on a burger flippers salary. These days two people working the same job full time can barely do it. Wages have not kept up with inflation. Is it wrong for people to want to be paid the same relative wage they were paid 32 years ago for that same job?

Originally posted by camaro68ssif you dont like the pay, dont work there! if everyone left because of pay, Wal-Mat would be forced natural to raise wages to entice new employees. its the basic laws of supply and demand.

Simple economics here but apparently it’s a hard lesson to a lot of people to learn
edit on 16-11-2012 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

It's game theory not economics. People in need of money to pay basic living expenses will voluntarily lower wages on themselves accepting something in favor of accepting nothing. All Walmart has to do is freeze wages and let inflation take care of the rest. Wages eventually hit minimum wage, and then only go up as minimum wage does. People will still take the jobs that used to pay twice as much (purchasing power) because something is better than nothing.

Walmart isn't the only company that's doing that either
edit on 18-11-2012 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   
i know for a fact the management says if you dont come in on friday dont come in on saturday. I mean io understand that day but not thanksgiving.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by reesie45

What if they show up, but refuse to work?

Show up, but don't help. At least that way they can't use a "no-show" to legitimately fire anyone.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 02:22 AM
link   
As a Walmart employee I can confirm nothing is going to happen.

Most, if not all Walmarts have temps ready to go any second if people walk out. They've had that plan for a while now. Good news if you're waiting for a temp job at Walmart right now
. That temp job will more than likely become permanent quickly

Been with them for a year now and haven't seen any shred of all the "evil" Walmart apparently is filled with. One thing I do get sick of hearing is how they only sell "Chinese crap that comes from sweat shops". WE CARRY THE EXACT SAME ITEMS AS EVERYONE ELSE....LOL. Just at a cheaper price.

I've been treated beyond great there. Its the union workers that need to get off their last asses and do their job and quit whining. I bust my ass daily while I have to watch them just sit and whine about not being paid enough for their "hard and stressful" job. I've had to help out in the back room a lot and these "hard jobs" are a piece of cake compared to out on the actual floor. I alone emptied a 4,000 piece truck in under 2 hours. A job that for some reason takes 3 people 4.5-5 hours to do. Shows how lazy some people are. Making 9 or more dollars an hour and cry that its not enough. That would be beyond enough for me. Doesn't help that most of them are very immature people for their ages.

End of my rant on lazy asses that just need to do their jobs. Honestly, that's all it is. Lazy people who want to keep getting more and more money to barely do anything while others like me bust their asses.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 02:37 AM
link   
reply to post by nightmare_david

No, you don't.

Look at the SKU/model numbers of similar items from another store. Walmart contracts cheaper made products that look identical to those sold at other stores. Home Depot does this too, all of us employees knew it at the time.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 02:45 AM
link   
reply to post by nightmare_david

So you can afford a place to live, all associated bills, clothe, feed and pay for transportation on a ~$600 paycheck every two weeks without government assistance (food stamps, ect)?

Do you live with five other people? Do you sleep in a dresser drawer?

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   

So you can afford a place to live, all associated bills, clothe, feed and pay for transportation on a ~$600 paycheck every two weeks without government assistance (food stamps, ect)?

Do you live with five other people? Do you sleep in a dresser drawer?

Are you suggesting that Wal-Mart is a long term career choice for many people? Who do you think works there? I think people going to school, younger people, older people, and 2nd income folks work there. If someone has say, a family.. say a wife and 2 kids.. and this is their sole source of income, they are doing it wrong. Unless you pick a corporate route trying to work your way up in that company, it is hardly going to be the sole income for most people. Either it contributes to someone getting money in another way (social security, school loans, etc.), it's a second income, or it's someone just out of school with no other skills.

Working conditions are not terrible. The wages are what they are. MANY businesses are forced to work on holidays. And DON'T get time and a half. But again, typical whining Americans. Many people in the world would do anything for a job at Wal-Mart, and the money it would bring in. Heck.. if you stay with Wal-Mart long enough, you can make some 24 bucks an hour as a door greeter. Not shabby. Like any job, if you stay with it you will get raises, and you will make a decent income.

Stop complaining that a no-skill job gets close to minimum wage if you've only worked there a short while. That is hardly a news flash or anything to moan about.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by fleabitAre you suggesting that Wal-Mart is a long term career choice for many people? Who do you think works there? I think people going to school, younger people, older people, and 2nd income folks work there. If someone has say, a family.. say a wife and 2 kids.. and this is their sole source of income, they are doing it wrong. Unless you pick a corporate route trying to work your way up in that company, it is hardly going to be the sole income for most people. Either it contributes to someone getting money in another way (social security, school loans, etc.), it's a second income, or it's someone just out of school with no other skills.

In my town Walmart, gas stations, and fast food places are what hires, companies that will actually pay you a decent wage don't. I've got 3 college degrees and have been looking for work for 2 years now. Nothing has come of it.

Oh, for all the Walmart wages are fine people, here's a quote from Henry Ford... one of the original capitalists, and quite successful at it:
"There is one rule for the industrialist and that is: Make the best quality of goods possible at the lowest cost possible, paying the highest wages possible."

Walmart breaks 2 of those 3 rules.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I am confused. I was going to post about this, but I saw it was already here....

Does anyone know if this is planned at ALL walmarts or just at some?

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by EvenParanoidsHaveEnemies

it's just in a few select states.. it's back on page 2 or 3 i think.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I read this article today and I think it dovetails nicely with this thread/topic and helps put things into perspective. The article details how setting a $25,000/year minimum income for retail workers would impact our economy. After doing the math, they estimate the hourly wage would need to be increased to $12.25/hr.

Here are some of the highlights:

"If retailers pass half the costs of a wage raise onto their customers, the average household would pay just 15 cents more per shopping trip -- or $17.73 per year," the study found. "If firms pass 25 percent of the wage costs onto their customers, shoppers would spend just seven cents more per shopping trip, or $8.87 per year."

That's a tiny price to pay for an initiative that would have a potentially revolutionary impact on the standards of living of millions of Americans and the economic prospects of the nation at large. The $25,000-a-year wage floor would lift more than 700,000 people out of the harrowing precincts of poverty. And it would boost the pay of hundreds of thousands more who currently are struggling just a notch or two above the official poverty line.

As you can see, the average "cost" passed onto consumers is hardly pocket-book breaking!

The increased spending anticipated from the pay hikes would give a badly needed boost to an economy that has been advancing only in fits and starts since the recession ended in June 2009. As the study explains: "U.S. corporations are cash-flush, but hesitant to make investments on products they are not sure will sell. As a result, their gloomy outlook becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy: firms do not expand production, keeping the job market slack, pocketbooks closed, and investments unappealing."

This goes in line with my other discussion topic I started before the end of the election. In that discussion, we discussed the failure of "trickle down economics".

To put into perspective just how well these large retailers like Walmart are doing:

This would not be a heavy lift for the industry. Retail is booming and profitability reached a ten-year high in the first half of 2012. The largest retail firm, Walmart, earned nearly $16 billion in the last year alone. While the U.S. economy and millions of American families have been struggling, Walmart has seen its net sales grow by more than $70 billion since the start of the Great Recession in December 2007.

As you can see when the numbers are put into perspective, Walmart and others can certainly pay their customers a tad bit more:

According to the Demos study, the cost of the wage increases to major retailers would be $20.8 billion, which amounts to about one percent of the sector's $2.17 trillion in total annual sales. But the study also estimates that the increased purchasing power accruing to low-wage workers as a result of the pay raises would generate $4 billion to $5 billion in additional annual retail sales.

ONE percent of their annual sales? Are you kidding me? We can help out over 700,000 people and increasse their spending potential by a ONE percent dent in profit?

Just how greedy is Walmart and other big retailers? Apparently very.

Here's a link to the article and more information on the study:
Why Walmart and Big Retailers Should Pay Their Workers More
edit on 19-11-2012 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)
edit on 19-11-2012 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Bumping this thread for ongoing coverage.

The MSM isn't covering this at all, but Twitter is lighting up like crazy:

@ alicehines : Chanting, drumming and dancing at Walmart in Wheatland, TX #walmartstrikes

This is important, and I'd like to think that the 30+ people that flagged this will put their .2 in as news stories come in.

I have to get some rack time soon, but I'll update what the MSM isn't showing us in the AM.
edit on 23-11-2012 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 01:45 AM
link   
I'm sure there are 10 applicants for every 1 worker who are just sitting there praying all those people walk out, so they can get hired right away.

It will be interesting to see what happens with this.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by jeramie

In some of these communities, the workers are the customer base. If they are striking they aren't buying products.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

i saw it on my local news last night... but if it's to really impact walmart in anyway it's going to have to grow every year until walmart realizes it really needs to deal with it differently

new topics
top topics

<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join