It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Restaurant Owner to Imposes Surcharge For Obamacare

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by nancyliedersdeaddog

Originally posted by sligtlyskeptical

Originally posted by hawkiye
ha ha ha too funny how everyone is bagging on this guy for being greedy when all the other restaurants will just raise their prices and not say a word. But all the geniuses claim they will take their business elsewhere (and pay the same higher prices but not have to think about why) and the severs will look elsewhere so they can get better tips. LOL higher prices will effect tips whether they are known or not. At least this guy is letting the people know why the prices are higher...

Here is my prediction his business will do just fine. More businesses should do this so people can start getting a clue on how things actually work instead of thinking prices rise by osmosis and welfare grows freely on trees and stop supporting idiots like Obama Bush Romney Clinton and the whole anti-liberty crowd that has been ruining this country for decades...

edit on 15-11-2012 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

Tips are almost always given on the amount of the check. Higher prices = higher tips. in that respect he is screwing over the servers even more.

I'm sorry but you are wrong for the most part. Yes tips are pretty good at nice restaurants and nice people tip pretty good most of the time but a good amount of people will either stiff the waiter or not tip the regular amount. This is comming from me who worked as a waiter all through high school, I have alot of family and friends who work or worked in the restaurant industry, and I been around the restaurant business since I was a kid.

Also add foreign patrons who do not tip because gratuity is automatic where they come from.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightSunshine
reply to post by windword

OH Snap!! Looks like I found my reading materal for tonight!! Thanks for the post windword, I'll probably be back!!

Starred for making me laugh! Please, feel free to come back. We'll be here!

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheAngryFarm
reply to post by FreebirdGirl

Theft would imply taking something belonging to the restaurant. If you saw a situation like that happen in the past, you shouldve screamed bloody murder for it was the establishment breaking the law, not the employee.

Tips belong to the server/bartender, not the establishment. They are not temporarily the property of the establishment until the server goes home/clocks out/whatever.

Once you are audited the tips belong to the employer to distibute. At that point taking cash tips would be the equivalent of a cook taking money out of the register.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
All I have to say is, we will all need to leave our prejudices at the door if we are all going to grow up. I personally lean toward the left, as with no regulations you can have things happening like the mountaintop removal in WV. People forget that unions and all these regulations started after companies worked people 14 hours a day in coal mines and such and wouldn't pay them with real money, but with company credit to use at overpriced company stores. So.
To my liberal brethren: Not all business owners are greedy, wealthy.. etc..
To my conservative debaters who keep me sharp: Not all liberals and people who need healthcare are scumbag lazy communist filth.
Until we can have a discussion without these immediate prejudices......
Talk is pointless.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Well I can say this much about his business plan. I know where I am not eating.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by spiritualzombie

Wow if this post could just look in the mirror.

Since it is Denny's you can see their menu is not that much to start with.

www.dennys.com...'s%20menu&utm_campaign=%28B%29+Denny%27s+Menus+E-&utm_content=syOquJ6JA|1250227 6236&gclid=CL-ssqCy0rMCFYYWMgod6xoAKg#/menu

Add %5 and you will likely only be paying no more than $2 unless you are taking a huge group with you and paying the tab. To all those complaining about this do you realize how small %5 is? for every dollar spent at Denny's you would spend an extra nickle. For a $10 meal you will spend $.50. If $.50 is enough to keep you from tiping what you tipped before or just not go to there you should most likely stay home any way.

If you are counting nickles so much you should be eating at home and not eating out. It is no wonder the country is screwed with everyones outlook on spending money they do not have.

As I said my wife and I go out mayeb once every month or two. We spend about $60-$80 the extra cost if this took place where we ate would be $3.50 average. That little extra cost would not be enough to lower my tip or not eat there. 5% is not that much, people are making a big deal out of nothing.

Raist

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by spiritualzombie
5% surcharge... what pathetic little losers. It's such a childish reaction.

Poor wittle republican has all that wittle poo in his pants because of Obama!!!

Why wouldnt you want to pay the 5% to help your fellow americans receive healthcare?

Would you rather the cost of the meal go up 5% so you didnt know about it?

It's coming at you either way. 5% more for a dinner or 5% surcharge. Either, or....

I like the surcharge. At least you get the feeling that you are helping the one who served you.

Well, I guess they could cut the employees hours to part-time and you wouldnt see a 5% increase in the meal or surcharge.

He has figured out a way to do it without taking away from his employees.

Good for him!

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by riverwild

If he is going to rewrite the menu then yes just change the price but the way he is doing it will hurt the employee’s tips. He is just being an @ hole.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

So you are saying that on a bill of $10 you would pay the server less because of $.50?

Again if 5% is going to be that hard on the person buying the meal they should stay at home to begin with. We are talking about a nickle for every dollar spent at a Denny's. This is not like some top dollar place. Their menu is around the same cost as any other fast food place.

Raist

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
It really doesn't matter at all what you guys think of greedy restaurant owners, bad Republicans and one percenters, or whether Obamacare should or should not be a part of the landscape.

The fact of the matter is Obamacare is going to cost a trillion dollars and someone will pay. And it will be us.

You can gripe all you want, but when a government mandates something to be done, there is a law of unintended consequences. After the Russian Revolution Lenin decreed a redistribution of wealth. The farmers were fairly well off so he confiscated their crops to "feed the people." But you can only tax current wealth, not future production. So when the farmers figured out what was happening, they cut back on their crops, which resulted in a famine.

Unintended consequences.

You folks think "employers should pay for healthcare insurance." I don't. I think people ought to pay for healthcare insurance just like they pay for car insurance. That makes people responsible for themselves. But because of this government-imposed system what you are going to see is the same decision Papa Johns made for every small busness owner in America. They are going to cut hours just like the Soviet farmers cut back their crops. Of course, you can blame the farmers, blame the small business owners, the franchisees actually working for a living, but that won't change the consequences.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grimpachi
reply to post by riverwild

If he is going to rewrite the menu then yes just change the price but the way he is doing it will hurt the employee’s tips. He is just being an @ hole.

An @hole would have cut hours, cut wages, raised menu prices or fired employees.

People who leave less of a tip may be being selfish.

Nothing is free my friend. It is what it is.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by FreebirdGirl

First of all free cell phones were granted by G.W.Bush. They are a continuation of an old law established by the FCC.The money is provided by the universal tax on your cell phone bill. You would pay this tax regardless of the free cell phones. Secondly, Romney would have done the same as Obama or worse. Where was Romney's outcry when the bailouts were given? You believe Romney was against giving these guys money? He has corporate campaign donors as well. What is this "your Obama"? I don't personally know him and I did not vote for him. He is every American's president. So please keep me out of your partisan crap. Since you have partisan memory lapse let me remind you G.W. Bush was responsible for implementing the bailouts. Why the outcry over health and education entitlements? We spend as much on defense then welfare programs. I do not advocate war yet my tax dollars are spent on bullets and bombs. I would much rather my tax dollars go to improve education and healthcare for all citizens.The reality is that everyone who pays taxes are paying for some program that they may not agree with. The difference is most people don't make it a political issue.

Cell phones were not provided by Bush. It was a program that subsidized land lines for the poor so they would have access to emergency services. No it was not meant to hand out $50 a month cell service, phone included. And if there was any money left over, who is Obama to go and spend it while we are racking up a trillion dollars a year in debt under his leadership? I don't think anyone would have complained if it went to debt reduction.

As far as Romney, don't try to blame him for Obamas bailouts and handouts. He wasn't president remember? You don't seem very informed on Romney. Shouldn't you have learned his policies before you voted? Or did policies have nothing to do with your vote?

Providing for our military is one of the few jobs the Federal Gov. is allowed to do. This is what we pay them to do, and this is what should be expected of them. Everything else is unconstitutional. If you want a welfare state to hand you goodies, talk to your State government. They are the ones that deal with these issues.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

I would give you 100 stars if I could.

Very well said. May open an eye or two.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   

I often find myself disagreeing with you on many things but this time I agree with you 100%. Well said and nice post! The truth is not partisan!

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   

I can agree and/or accept most of what you said in there. I completely disagreed with being told I HAD to buy something. I take pretty good care of myself...well...better than most.

The underlying issue that no one even seems to talk about it...the cost of healthcare...and subsequently...the cost of healthcare insurance. If we really-really were concerned about healthcare for everyone...shouldn't we be looking at the cost vs sale price of prescriptions, hospital visits, etc? The cost of these things is what drives up the cost of healthcare insurance to the point most employers had to drop it or have huge co-pays. Everyone is trying to diagnose a symptom and aren't looking at the cause.

Couple that with the most obese nation on the planet...then no wonder healthcare insurance costs are sky high...maybe it's time to let Darwinism work it's magic...if you shove your face full of junk food till you are overweight and a heart attack waiting to happen...oh well...

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grimpachi
Well I can say this much about his business plan. I know where I am not eating.

I'm sure the waitress/waiter will be happy about that if a silly 5% makes you not eat there.

edit on 15-11-2012 by riverwild because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indigo5
reply to post by windword

Hmm...Hamburgers is his biggest seller and beef prices have increased nearly 100% over the past few years...and yet he is going to tag a 5% Obamacare preium on peoples bill for an expense that he hasn't incurred yet and doesn't know if it will cost him anything?

I smell idealogical retard...

Beef prices...

www.indexmundi.com...
edit on 15-11-2012 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

Ironically free market capitalism will punish these retards with employees leaving and customers going elsewhere for both political reasons and financial ones.
edit on 15-11-2012 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

I smell 5% beef and 95% BS is what's really going into his burgers.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Maybe if we did something about rising health care coast we wouldn't need Obamacare. No one was doing a damn thing about it, then obama came and did what he did, at least now we are talking about it as a country,and maybe we can make a better system but I will tell you this the old system is not coming back.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
WOW 14 pages on this!

I don't feel like reading another 14 pages of partisan bickering, so I'm just going to say what I have to and move on.

A dirty little secret about all tax increases (Obamacare= Tax, not my opinion but the opinion of SCOTUS) that no one on the Left and few on the Right never mention is this. Taxes aren't paid by businesses. Businesses raise their prices so that the end user of their product pays for any tax increase.

Now I agree, that this guy has some sour grapes over his guy losing the election, and the way he is implementing it, I can see the argument on how it hurts his servers. However, the price increases, cut hours, and job losses from implementation of Obamacare are going to reverberate through the economy. At least in this case the increased prices are out front and explained. Most other employers are going to raise prices in a less forthright way to cover the increased costs.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raist
reply to post by Grimpachi

So you are saying that on a bill of $10 you would pay the server less because of $.50?

Again if 5% is going to be that hard on the person buying the meal they should stay at home to begin with. We are talking about a nickle for every dollar spent at a Denny's. This is not like some top dollar place. Their menu is around the same cost as any other fast food place.

Raist

Nope I never said that. I said I am not eating there. I will take my business somewhere else. Free market and all. Hopefully other people will as well and when business picks up in other restaurants they will hire more people. Free market at work. The server who decides to stay at a place that isn’t doing much business has made a poor choice of where to work in my opinion. I guess it could be a place to learn the ropes though.

See same money is being spent it is just being spent somewhere else. Try not reading into other people’s posts too much.

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join