Secretary of Defense John Kerry??? Said to be Obama's 'favorite choice'

page: 4
12
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

log in

join

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag
 

From what I understand .. you aren't nominated for a Purple Heart by anyone .. you have to meet certain criteria. It has to be a combat situation. You can get it for friendly fire. But it HAS to be in a combat situation. It can also be for wounds in a terrorist attack situation and for wounds inflicted as a POW. Also .. for wounds gained during any action against an unfriendly entity. (I guess that covers special ops forces going in undercover). The wound must be enough to require treatment by a medical officer. Things like frostbite or food poisoning or accidental shooting yourself don't count. I think the medical officer is the one that reports it to get the medal ... I THINK ....


edit on 11/13/2012 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)




posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Boston Globe - Kerry as possible Secretary of Defense Greeted with Skepticism

Kerry has not been involved in any significant way on defense issues for the past 20 years,” said a long-serving senior department official who asked not to be named. “I never met with him or received a call -- or placed a call -- to him.”

The official said that confirmation hearings for any nomination of Kerry as defense secretary would be ugly, dredging up the divisiveness that characterized his run for the presidency in 2004, when some of his fellow Vietnam veterans attacked him for later protesting the war, accusing the military of war crimes, and throwing his medals away on the Capitol grounds. ......

Michael Yon, a former special forces soldier now serving as a war correspondent in Afghanistan, remarked, “John Kerry Eyed for [Secretary of Defense]... What next? Michael Moore for Director of CIA?”



posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan
 


You mean this John F'n Kerry
This quote from him really scares me, but with the current POTUS, I think Kerry fits their agenda nicely


I'm an internationalist. I'd like to see our troops dispersed through the world only at the directive of the United Nations. John Kerry
Kerry quotes



posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
reply to post by seabag
 

From what I understand .. you aren't nominated for a Purple Heart by anyone .. you have to meet certain criteria. It has to be a combat situation. You can get it for friendly fire. But it HAS to be in a combat situation. It can also be for wounds in a terrorist attack situation and for wounds inflicted as a POW. Also .. for wounds gained during any action against an unfriendly entity. (I guess that covers special ops forces going in undercover). The wound must be enough to require treatment by a medical officer. Things like frostbite or food poisoning or accidental shooting yourself don't count. I think the medical officer is the one that reports it to get the medal ... I THINK ....


edit on 11/13/2012 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)



One still has to be recommended for it - you can do it yourself actually and attach the 600-9 treatment form. You have to have a witness for the combat related bit. Usually someone in the chain of command. Then it goes up from there for the rubber stamp process.

It’s an honor system type thing. You can as you said get it for almost any injury related to or received during a combat engagement. I submitted my first one after the Panama invasion in which I got into a tussle with a PDF HVT at a roadblock. He cut me with a knife - 10 stitches worth. However, since in SF we have enlisted medics who can stitch better than most doctors he sewed me up and there was no treatment record to validate the claim so I let it go.

I have my one for the GSW - I earned that fair and square from friendly fire no less (clearing a building is tricky business)so yes you can get one for a FF incident. Mine was a calf wound no big deal some debriedment and stitching and I din't even leave the compound light duty for two weeks...

I could have any number of these things for all kinds of injuries; however, no self respecting person does that. Besides once you have one the criteria for subsequent awards are scrutinized more closely. the first one is usually a freebie. If you've been on combat and don't have one you pissed off the wrong people in the chain of command.

In SF you would never live down submitting one for less than a GSW or shrapnel. Anything else would be the source of endless ribbing from the team.

Also, the injury severity requirement is less stringent the more stripes one has for enlisted - CSM's and SGM's who had missed all the wars before wanted to make sure they can get one. Also for officers if you are a LTC or higher it's a gimmie award for the most minor of injuries.

RHIP I guess.



posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
John Kerry mr I was for it before i was against it

His "distinguished military service"

His "distinguished political career".

What an awesome choice for defense!

After the next 4 years there wont be a military or intelligence agency left.

Game set match another win for the current admin.

Meh



posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan
 


So you like Rice?

He did win the election and he does get to pick.

Try to be a man about it.



posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 05:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant
So you like Rice?

Rice who? This discussion is about John Kerry.

He did win the election and he does get to pick.

Yes. And this is a discussion board and we do get to discuss it.

Try to be a man about it.

I'm a woman.

How about YOU man up and accept that, on this discussion board, we have freedom of speech to discuss current topics. John Kerry being 'Obama's favorite choice' for Secretary of Defense is a topic we are discussing. Freedom of Speech is still allowed in America .. no matter how much it ticks off some Obama supporters.



posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Is this a joke? I swear we are living in the Twilight Zone. Never in a million years would I ever have thought that anyone in their right mind would appoint someone like John Kerry Secretary of Defense? This guy?!



Nothing is surprising anymore. This is really getting ridiculous! I hope this does not go through, because it will be one hell of a morale killer. The antics he has pulled in the past regarding the military is downright atrocious. Yet, this guy is a viable candidate for Secretary of Defense? Disgusting! Another bad choice Mr. President! Bad choice indeed! On another note, maybe he can appoint Jane Fonda as his press secretary? My goodness, what a circus!
edit on 14-11-2012 by Jakes51 because: (no reason given)



posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.



posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51
 


You prefer a soldier who allows their fellow Americans to go hog wild on the locals, raping the children, killing the parents and burning their bodies so they can't be found out? (To be fair this happened in Iraq by a gang of marauding Americans)


The kind of man who looks the other way in a war zone as AMERICANS commit atrocities outside the bounds of war and the Geneva Convention - just because they are his fellow Americans?
Is that the kind of soldier you wanted John Kerry to be?

Who... like the Chicago Cops have a "code of silence" when it comes to one of their own?


Those American soldiers Kerry is referring to...you think they should be HONORABLY DISCHARGED?


You have got to be kidding me.



Whistle blowers shouldn't get punished for doing the right thing.

They should be rewarded for having the courage to speak up and speak out - even when it might appear UNAMERICAN and even when everything else seems to be against them.


edit on 14-11-2012 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)



posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant
A poorly informed woman at that. Susan Rice (and Jon Huntsman) are the only others inconsideration to fill the positions of Secretary of State and of Defense.

:shk: I KNOW THAT. I said 'Rice Who?' because this thread isn't talking about her.
This is about KERRY. I stated that.

And I don't care if you are a women, man up and take the consequences of losing.

What are you talking about? Do you even know? This has NOTHING to do with republican or democrat winning the election. (and I didn't vote for either). Get a grip. This is about who is Secretary of Defense.

Quit whining like a child.

YOU are the one whining like a child. This is a DISCUSSION BOARD. And that's what we are doing. Discussing a situation. If you don't like the fact that people are discussing a situation .. then go play elsewhere.

You don't get to say who goes where.

I never claimed to be able to make that decision. We are discussing what we like and dislike. YOU don't get to say who can and can't exercise their fist amendment right to discuss the new Secretary of Defense.

You don't get to malign a decent military career because the man was anti war the whole time he was defending our freedom.

Telling the truth about the mans checkered past isn't 'maligning a decent military career'. And he definately was too busy self promoting to do any 'defending of our country'.


Did you join the services and go overseas to fight for our country? If you didn't I don't think you get to say anything about Kerry.

YES .... I joined the US Army and went overseas. And none of my military medals are for getting grains of rice stuck in my butt from a self frag of a grenade too close. Not that it's any of your business .. and not that it has anything to do at all with if Kerry is a good match for the position or not. My five years in the US Army are irrelevant as to if Kerry should be in the position.

ETA - THE SUBJECT IS JOHN KERRY .. not me .. try to stick to it.
edit on 11/14/2012 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)



posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant
 

And you lie about others being misinformed ... Kerry LIED at Winter Soldier. He LIED. And of the 150 alleged Vietnam soldiers who testified at Winter Soldier, only about 30 or so could actually be verified as having been real soldiers in Vietnam.



posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant
You don't get to malign a decent military career because the man was anti war the whole time he was defending our freedom. So what? A lot of people are. Did you join the services and go overseas to fight for our country? If you didn't I don't think you get to say anything about Kerry. Just sit back and let the men speak.


Yeah. And make me a sammich!

WTF???

Really?
So just because FF simply served in the US Army, she has no say?

Wah.

Your post has fail all over it.



posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
So just because FF simply served in the US Army, she has no say?

He said 'let the men do the talking' .. like whatever a person has for genitals decides if they can exercise their first amendment right to free speech and discussions on a DISCUSSION BOARD.


Side note ... I did go overseas .... it wasn't a 'hot zone' ... but I did my time in service.
That being said, it doesn't take a person being 'in service' to be able to recognize
a phony when they see one .... and that is what Kerry is .. a phony.

As was said by John McCain this morning on the TV news .. (paraphrase)
Obama can pick whoever he wants for his cabinet, but whoever he picks OWNS
HIS PAST and that will be a factor in the confirmation discussions.

John Kerry's past is a MINE FIELD.



posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I was 'anti-war' and went to a hot zone in 2006. I remember full well when John Kerry told a graduating college class that either you get an education, or you get to be stupid and join the Army and go to war.

If you want to see the military enraged, appoint Kerry as SECDEF.

Secondly... unless you went to the war, Covenant... how about showing some decorum when speaking to someone who actually served. I know full well you despise veterans, but as a liberal you'd do well not to speak down to a woman who served her nation by telling her to 'let the men talk.'

Hypocrit much?



posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant
 





Just sit back and let the men speak.


I generally agree with you on issues and I get your anger/frustration. But don't devolve into that, please. Left of Right is rare around these parts (at least vocally) and a good percentage of us are female, keep that in mind.



posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Oh my!


I can't believe someone said that out loud!

"Let the men speak..." Is kerry on ATS?


I'm actually laughing out loud at such barbarianism!


Okay...it's out of my system...carry on!



posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by newcovenant
A poorly informed woman at that. Susan Rice (and Jon Huntsman) are the only others inconsideration to fill the positions of Secretary of State and of Defense.

:shk: I KNOW THAT. I said 'Rice Who?' because this thread isn't talking about her.
This is about KERRY. I stated that.

And I don't care if you are a women, man up and take the consequences of losing.

What are you talking about? Do you even know? This has NOTHING to do with republican or democrat winning the election. (and I didn't vote for either). Get a grip. This is about who is Secretary of Defense.

Quit whining like a child.

YOU are the one whining like a child. This is a DISCUSSION BOARD. And that's what we are doing. Discussing a situation. If you don't like the fact that people are discussing a situation .. then go play elsewhere.

You don't get to say who goes where.

I never claimed to be able to make that decision. We are discussing what we like and dislike. YOU don't get to say who can and can't exercise their fist amendment right to discuss the new Secretary of Defense.

You don't get to malign a decent military career because the man was anti war the whole time he was defending our freedom.

Telling the truth about the mans checkered past isn't 'maligning a decent military career'. And he definately was too busy self promoting to do any 'defending of our country'.


Did you join the services and go overseas to fight for our country? If you didn't I don't think you get to say anything about Kerry.

YES .... I joined the US Army and went overseas. And none of my military medals are for getting grains of rice stuck in my butt from a self frag of a grenade too close. Not that it's any of your business .. and not that it has anything to do at all with if Kerry is a good match for the position or not. My five years in the US Army are irrelevant as to if Kerry should be in the position.

ETA - THE SUBJECT IS JOHN KERRY .. not me .. try to stick to it.
edit on 11/14/2012 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)



OK I like John Kerry and I think he is a pretty good choice. I don't know what you are whining on about his selection. Perhaps you with your experience might be considered for the job? Do you have any solutions to your problems or are you just trying to drown the populace (and members of this discussion board) in inconsequential argument for arguments sake? Run out of paint for the gun?

People who simply whine and complain about what is without providing solutions or suggestions for what should be are really not worthy of the back and forth in my opinion. But that's just my opinion. As far as I know I am still entitled to it. Don't worry the Republican party will get a chance to run things again and then you can side with them to help them dictate my vote and take my opinion away.



posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74
reply to post by newcovenant
 





Just sit back and let the men speak.


I generally agree with you on issues and I get your anger/frustration. But don't devolve into that, please. Left of Right is rare around these parts (at least vocally) and a good percentage of us are female, keep that in mind.


It was a typo that should have read "let the man speak."
Sorry and I am respectful to the female perspective.
I will try to be more careful in the future.
edit on 14-11-2012 by newcovenant because: And I always knew Flyers Fan was a woman.



posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by jerryznv
Oh my!


I can't believe someone said that out loud!

"Let the men speak..." Is kerry on ATS?


I'm actually laughing out loud at such barbarianism!


Okay...it's out of my system...carry on!


And what do you have against letting men speak?

edit on 14-11-2012 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)





new topics
top topics
 
12
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

log in

join