It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Word to the Wise ....

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 04:34 AM
link   
(Mods, if this has already been posted anywhere on the site, please forgive me.)

After seeing many instances on the boards I truly felt the need to point this out and post a gentle reminder to the members of ATS.
I see postings that include information of a personal nature, and in that I mean, where you live, intricate details of your life, and combined with pictures of yourself and your families.
Whilst this is a site that makes you feel at home, I must remind you, that this isn't like Facebook.
You don't get to pick and choose who reads what you post. You may think you are just posting to friends here, but even lurkers if they are persistent enough could track enough about you to be worrisome.
PLEASE keep in mind , that if you wouldn't tell a stranger on the street something, perhaps you shouldn't post it here.
This is a conspiracy website after all, and attracts all kinds of people, some perhaps more dodgy than others.There are reasons for usernames and avatars.
Please keep this in mind when you post. (And yes, in the past I was just a guilty....not now.)

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

What so remind us all is very true.

I find folks posting all sorts of personal information especially on the Survival forum. Posting pics of their weapons and BoBs, where they are going (or not) in a TEOTWAWKI situation, what supplies they have, etc, etc.

Of course, some might be disinfo, or just outright liars, but I think that many are telling/showing what they really have. That's breaking OPSEC.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Good point!

I have in the past mentioned that I live in Phoenix, it may even be on my avatar, but that is extremely vague.(Phoenix is huge.)

Seeing pics of members or their friends and family always makes me worry for the safety of those people.

Most of us visit ats for entertainment and to share our opinions but there are some real crazy freaks on this site. Honestly I would feel rather uncomfortable if somebody from ats discovered my true identity!
No it would be worse than that I would freak the # out if any of you crazy bastards discovered my identity!

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Good info.

I've mentioned I live on the south coast (big coast) but I've also posted disinfo at times. As for the MIB, you aint hiding from them, they know where you are the moment you logon.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   
i totally agree! and yes i know this site offers a kind of 'comfort' for some social misfits(meant in the best way!),
there have been many threads with way too much personal info for me!
i'm kinda guilty to an extent as well.
a few members have posted pics of themselve's (girls) and i came awful close to comment on how pretty they were,but i caught myself,thinking i would come off as some stalker creep! (I'M NOT!!!)
any wat,yes i do think its best to keep your anonymity on this site!
i do get on well with most members,but i ain't handing out my address or phone number so you can pop over for a pint!
peace

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   
I never understood why people plaster the Internet with pics of their kids. I guess the lulling feel of false security is alive and well. As for showing preps and compromising OPSEC... Ever seen Doomsday Preppers? Completely ridiculous. Why spend all that time and money to broadcast it on TV?

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I agree.
Still... Is there any real anonimity on the internet?
Per example: The Dutch government holds many of my personal info on the interwebz and not so long ago it came out they had bad security levels on their sites... Lots of data (not mine luckily) out on the streets...
More and more laws are made worldwide to get info of all my (and your) moves on the internet.
Again, I agree with your post, but it's not all in our hands!

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Hello old friend,

long time no see.

AD, your words to the wise are well worth repeating, so thank you for posting about this matter. Members to need to practice a degree of caution as this is an "open" site: for the most part, people don't need to join to read what is posted here.

Also - and speaking as a member here -- I'd just like to remind members that we are not to post personal, identifying information about other people, like phone numbers and addresses. I'm not talking about (eg) posting the publicly-known, "official" address of an elected person that they specifically provide for communication. It's information that people want or expect to be kept private that we are concerned about -- and that applies even if the person is "public".

Mike

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 4/11/12 by JustMike because: tags

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Personally I've always treated any online activity the same way as I would treat anything conducted in public.
I don't know if that seems like paranoia, however you have very little in the way of guaranteed privacy online.
I certainly don't fool myself that I'm tech-savy enough to hide every (if not any) detail from those with the where-with-all to dig around and access my information. Nor do I pretend to know who those people might be, from government or police agents to identity thieves or even just some pimply "733T HAX0RZ" up to mischief.
Think before you post!

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I'm glad that many are in agreement. The internet no longer holds the safety of anonymity it once had.Scarier still is our comfort level which has lapsed.
Kinda funny how on one half of this site we take note of being overly watched, spied on...yet can come over to BTS ,throw caution to the wind and openly share details that could leave you vulnerable.
Better to always be on guard and err on the side of caution.
Side note:
Hello JustMike!

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Internet privacy and security is the way to go for anyone who has anything left to lose. This is, incidentally, also why my picture, address, full name, and social security number can all be found with about three mice clicks.

~Heff

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
But if they wanted to they could find that out without you even posting anything personal....It's called hacking, and pretty much anyone could do it. You are NEVER anonymous on the internet.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375
But if they wanted to they could find that out without you even posting anything personal....It's called hacking, and pretty much anyone could do it. You are NEVER anonymous on the internet.

We are all fully aware of that I'm sure. But why make it easy for others who are not hackers? That is what I meant to convey. It's true we all take risks just being online...but why increase the risk by openly sharing personal info where someone could find you IRL and create a dangerous situation? That's all I implied.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
I completely agree.

Although in my circumstances - The authorities already got all they could want on me. So what ever.

I think the difference between thinking about revolution and actually making revolution - Is when we all crawl out the woodwork.

Half of Europe is in chaos - and the police state is crawling around us. Half of Europe has openly come out to fight the system - and name it for what it is.

England and the rest need that same bravery and courage.

I've crawled out the woodwork - as with many others.

Revolution will happen when we all do.

We're a step ahead of the general populace in regards to these matters. We need to make our voices known and inspire the rest. Lets take advantage of this forgotten generation, who are, incidentally, very aware of the corrupt system.

The Anonymous movement has been a valiant one - the only way it could improve, as with all movements in general - Is to remove the anonymity.

That's the day you stop being a ghost and a security number - and you become a person.

ETA: This is me liberating my self.
I will never be a sell out.
edit on 4-11-2012 by Sinny because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Thanks for the reminder. We can all get a little too "involved" with online activity of a personal nature sometimes. You just opened the window so to speak. Let some fresh air in.

I've never understood the gun/survivalist nuts either. I guess they didn't get the memo that people like them are the one's being watched, and it's people like them who come here and tell us that TPTB are watching EVERYone for ANY purpose. No, they're watching people like you. I've read enough Soldier of Fortune type rags in my day to know that many of those types you don't want roaming around unchecked. Unstable isn't the word I'm looking for.

Facebook I can kind of understand for the purpose of keeping in touch with family that you can't really keep in touch with otherwise. You can even find family members who have "vanished" over the years. Huh Vit? ( You know how many people with his name are floating around the U.S.? More than you'd think) It's also a good recourse to find places that can help you in that regard. Everyone has their lives, different schedules, time zones etc.... and you can't really pick up the phone a lot and keep in touch in real time, so posting things to keep them updated can be good. But anything overly personal is unnecessary I think. I don't care what Nick in Omaha had for breakfast. As Joe Friday would say " Just the facts ma'am.....just the facts" At the very least, keep it cryptic so that only certain people can understand what you're talking about if you feel you MUST post anything personal.

Like you said AD, why make the hackers' job easy.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Why go through the extra work to harass or stalk someone you never met, and have to locate, when you can easily do it to anyone on the street, a grocery store, or follow a hot girl to her house from a club? Sorry, but the whole "Internet is a dangerous place" shtick is just terrorism, directed mainly at Moms and Dads. Millions of internet interactions are going on all the time, far more than offline. Only a few turn out to be fatal or worrisome encounters (as opposed to a lot offline), however, they get sensationalized by the media. Only predatory people would go on the internet to do such things, and those people are predatory when off the internet too. Few of them would go the distance or put in the time tracking someone online tho, so they are more likely to make their move towards people they meet physically.

I remember the days when a man could play with kids and not be seen as a potential "pedophile". The media, however, changed that entire perspective and alienated men from kids (even their own in many cases) and hurt society. What they're doing with the internet is just spreading more paranoia and distrust among people like before. It's like in the future everyone is to be androgynous, anonymous, and suspicious. Divide and conquer.
edit on 4-11-2012 by MasonicFantom because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by MasonicFantom

Why go through the extra work to harass or stalk someone you never met, and have to locate, when you can easily do it to anyone on the street, a grocery store, or follow a hot girl to her house from a club? Sorry, but the whole "Internet is a dangerous place" shtick is just terrorism, directed mainly at Moms and Dads. Millions of internet interactions are going on all the time, far more than offline. Only a few turn out to be fatal or worrisome encounters (as opposed to a lot offline), however, they get sensationalized by the media. Only predatory people would go on the internet to do such things, and those people are predatory when off the internet too. Few of them would go the distance or put in the time tracking someone online tho, so they are more likely to make their move towards people they meet physically.

I remember the days when a man could play with kids and not be seen as a potential "pedophile". The media, however, changed that entire perspective and alienated men from kids (even their own in many cases) and hurt society. What they're doing with the internet is just spreading more paranoia and distrust among people like before. It's like in the future everyone is to be androgynous, anonymous, and suspicious. Divide and conquer.
edit on 4-11-2012 by MasonicFantom because: (no reason given)

This wasn't meant by any means to be a thread of sensationalism. If it helps one person..then it was worth it. And for the record, I personally never mentioned anything about a man stalking a woman. These days..it can swing either way.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   
I try not to share personal info, too many weirdos out there...and on top of that ATS does a pretty good job @ attracting some of those weirdos
Thanks for the good reminder though!

I decided a while back that I don't care if people know I'm from Dallas - my IP probably gives that away anyway.

So, I guess if you can find me then go ahead and leave a few bucks in my mailbox please - thanks.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Ok, OP. As a new member here, I took your advice to heart, and removed my city and birthyear from my profile. A little paranoia is always healthy! Much appreciated.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join