Statue of Mother Mary in Breezy Point Should Say It All.

page: 4
14
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

log in

join

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by HandyDandy
reply to post by Chamberf=6
 


Hmmm...let's see.

The concrete wall behind her is still standing (the same material she is made of). Couldn't be that concrete survives fire better than other materials could it?

Nah....HAS to be a religious thing.



Where did I say it was a "religious thing"?

Did you read where I said I didn't believe?




posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by prophetboy12
Statue of Mother Mary in Breezy Point Should Say It All.,


Yeah, should say it all, but it doesn't. In fact, it says nothing other than people will see informed signifiers in practically anything.




I began to warm and chill
To objects and their fields
A ragged cup, a twisted mop
The face of Jesus in my soup
Those sinister dinner meals
The meal trolley's wicked wheels
A hooked bone rising from my food
All things either good or ungood


Nick Cave: the Mercy Seat



posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Merriman Weir
 


Star for Nick Cave.

His stuff with Lydia Lunch was good too.



posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by prophetboy12
 

The picture is beautiful and sad. But if that statue brings hope and comfort to just one person or many who have
lost so much then it is truly wonderful.
Thank you for the pic.



posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
Attention!

Stick to the topic.


Statue of Mother Mary in Breezy Point Should Say It All.

And things related to that i.e. what it may or may not mean - hope, irony, outrage, etc.
Specific religious debates can be found elsewhere on the board.
edit on 11/2/2012 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)


Since much of the discussion on the topic of the thread is centered on religions ideas: i.e., prayers through Mary to Jesus generally, and on Her relationship to Jesus in particular, I would like to request that the thread be moved to a more appropriate Forum that deals in "Specific religious debates can be found elsewhere on the board" as suggested by kosmicjack without fear of censure. Thank you in advance..........

PS....My last post (addressed to kosmicjack) that dealt in a similar manner with this subject was removed (Off Topic) by a different Moderator - hopefully this one will survive.
edit on 3-11-2012 by Vitruvian because: txt



posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Advantage
They make statues of your mom??


Here ya go. Im not mentioning its concrete with a base..and etc. The big bull was left standing too.



From the video

On October 29, 2012 Hurricane Sandy sweeps New York, close to the Halloween party, a party satanic not pleasing to God, as stated several times by exorcist Father Gabriele Amorth. In the district Qeens in the Breezy Point many houses are swept away except a statue of the Virgin Mary that is miraculously intact. What does this sign means? Maybe Sandy is a punishment from God for our own behaviors


Father Gabriele Amorth: ‘Harry Potter and yoga are evil’



He is saying that devils are opportunists; and he things these things are special opportunities for Satan and his minions.

Incidentally, about his position that Yoga isn’t simply “stretching,” many Yogis in India and elsewhere agree. This Westernized version of Yoga is watered down, stripped of any spiritual context, and reduced to breathing and stretching. So maybe we should call it something other Yoga? But I digress…

Again, I think Father Amorth’s positions are sometimes a bit extreme. Matter of fact, other Catholic exorcists do not share Father Amorth’s views on the Potter books and Yoga.

Matter of fact, there are other Catholic exorcists who do not share Father Amorth’s views on Potter and Yoga and what-not. In Tracy Wilkinson’s fantastic book The Vatican’s Exorcists, other prominent Catholic exorcists who spoke with Wilkinson imply Father Amorth has a tendency to see “the Devil under every rock.”

Still, I also don’t blame him for his world view. And I rather admire him for his work and for his willingness to discuss his stances on these issues.



Source




Father Gabriele Amorth, the official exorcist in Rome, has warned that wanton consumerism, sexual promiscuity, the occult, abortion, and homosexuality have caused a tremendous outbreak of demonic activity at a time when the Church has stripped itself of weapons to fight it.

Amorth's remarks come in a bestselling book, An Exorcist Tells His Story, and parallel warnings from such places as Fatima -- where seer Lucia dos Santos said we are facing a "decisive" battle with the devil -- and Medjugorje, where just two weeks ago, on January 1, the Virgin told seer Marija Pavlovic that devotion is urgent at a time when "Satan is free from chains." The remarks also parallel comments by the Pope himself, who before he ascended to the throne of Peter once commented that we are in an "apocalyptic" battle between light and dark.



Source
edit on 3-11-2012 by relocator because: added more info



posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by relocator

1. Father Gabriele Amorth: ‘Harry Potter and yoga are evil’

2. He is saying that devils are opportunists; and he things these things are special opportunities for Satan and his minions.

3. Still, I also don’t blame him for his world view. And I rather admire him for his work and for his willingness to discuss his stances on these issues.


I do not usually respond well to your posts but "in a partial way" there are some things in your post that are deserving of a little attention -

***'s

for pointing out what many of us more devout Catholics are already aware of - BTW - Fr. Gabriele Amorth is the most outspoken of all Catholic exorcists as well as the most respected.
edit on 3-11-2012 by Vitruvian because: txt



posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Well if that is all it takes, I am going buddhist because He one upped Mary:




posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chamberf=6
www.stpeterslist.com...

Not saying a squat stone statue has any significance at all since I don't believe, but that link has a picture.
edit on 11/2/2012 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)



A lot of help this statue was.



posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox
 


I have that image in my album of favorite pictures of all time.

Do you think its the same arch ?


Incidentally, perhaps its not Buddhist - but rather Shinto?
Its a Japanese gate most commonly found at the entrance of or sometimes inside a Shinto shrine.

Now this one is in my album of favorite pictures as well..............
edit on 3-11-2012 by Vitruvian because: pic added



posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitruvian
 


It is pretty funny isn't it?

Not the same arch, no.

At least one of them was sitting in front of a Shintu Shrine.

If it was actually the same one, I would be pandering to start making planes and cars out of that stuff. lol
edit on 3-11-2012 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)



posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I would have to wonder about any God who would save a statue but let children drown.



posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by Vitruvian
 


It is pretty funny isn't it?

Not the same arch, no.

At least one of them was sitting in front of a Shintu Shrine.

If it was actually the same one, I would be pandering to start making planes and cars out of that stuff. lol
edit on 3-11-2012 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)


Incidentally - those Shinto shrines were usually made of wood - especially in olden times, even at around the time of of war - and note the wooden (foundation) beams that survived in this image -
edit on 3-11-2012 by Vitruvian because: txt



posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
I would have to wonder about any God who would save a statue but let children drown.


God will not interfere with acts of nature any more than He would of your free will. Life is life and its fragile - what really matters is what happens in the afterlife.
edit on 3-11-2012 by Vitruvian because: txt



posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitruvian
 


Or just like the arches were made to seem to survive, someone propped up a Mary on the half shell, took a picture, and said it survived...so people can start pouring money into the church.



posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitruvian
 


Right, but would interfere to save a man made concrete structure that came off an assembly line.



posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox
 

Now for a little lesson in theology - I will outline some fundamental Catholic beliefs about Mary for you nixie_nox and for some other of the more intractable skeptics in this thread such as Chamberf=6 and darkhorserider.

Mary, as are all who are saved, was saved by the blood of Christ. She is the greatest of Saints and her prayers for us are efficacious. She is a fully human creature and not in any manner is she a goddess.

She is the Immaculate Conception who was filled with grace from her first moments, she is the Ark of the New Covenant and the New Eve.

She is Mary the “Theotokos,” or the “God-bearer,” i.e., the Mother of God

Mary remained both sinless and a virgin her entire life.

Mary was assumed into Heaven by the power of God, where she was crowned Queen of Heaven. This simple statement of fact should be a “case closed” situation that could be argued with a classic syllogism:

Jesus is God
Mary is the mother of Jesus
Mary is the mother of God

But some people here still balk at referring to Mary as God’s mother. The only way they can get around that fact, though, is to do one of the following: deny that Christ is God (heresy); deny that He is both fully human and fully God and that those two natures are in perfect hypostasis and can’t be divided (heresy); deny that Jesus is the Son of Mary (heresy); or claim that Jesus was God before His incarnation, but not while He was in the flesh (heresy).
Luke 1:43 tells us of Elisabeth greeting Mary with, “And whence is this to me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me?” It’s all very simple.

She is the Mother of Jesus, Who is God. She is the Mother of His human nature, not His divine nature—but these two natures are now, since the Incarnation, in perfect union and cannot be separated. Jesus is not a “collection of parts” and “natures”; He is a Person. To say that Mary can’t be the Mother of God because she isn’t the Mother of His divinity is to say that your own mother can’t be your mother because she didn’t create your eternal soul. You are a person—body and soul—and your mother is your mother. You wouldn’t say, “My mother isn’t really ‘my mother’; she’s only the mother of my body.” It is the same with Jesus, Who is fully human and fully divine—Who is God.
edit on 3-11-2012 by Vitruvian because: txt



posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitruvian
reply to post by nixie_nox
 

Now for a little lesson in theology - I will outline some fundamental Catholic beliefs about Mary for you nixie_nox and for some other of the more intractable skeptics in this thread such as Chamberf=6 and darkhorserider.

Mary, as are all who are saved, was saved by the blood of Christ. She is the greatest of Saints and her prayers for us are efficacious. She is a fully human creature and not in any manner is she a goddess.

She is the Immaculate Conception who was filled with grace from her first moments, she is the Ark of the New Covenant and the New Eve.

She is Mary the “Theotokos,” or the “God-bearer,” i.e., the Mother of God

Mary remained both sinless and a virgin her entire life.

Mary was assumed into Heaven by the power of God, where she was crowned Queen of Heaven. This simple statement of fact should be a “case closed” situation that could be argued with a classic syllogism:

Jesus is God
Mary is the mother of Jesus
Mary is the mother of God

But some people here still balk at referring to Mary as God’s mother. The only way they can get around that fact, though, is to do one of the following: deny that Christ is God (heresy); deny that He is both fully human and fully God and that those two natures are in perfect hypostasis and can’t be divided (heresy); deny that Jesus is the Son of Mary (heresy); or claim that Jesus was God before His incarnation, but not while He was in the flesh (heresy).
Luke 1:43 tells us of Elisabeth greeting Mary with, “And whence is this to me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me?” It’s all very simple.

She is the Mother of Jesus, Who is God. She is the Mother of His human nature, not His divine nature—but these two natures are now, since the Incarnation, in perfect union and cannot be separated. Jesus is not a “collection of parts” and “natures”; He is a Person. To say that Mary can’t be the Mother of God because she isn’t the Mother of His divinity is to say that your own mother can’t be your mother because she didn’t create your eternal soul. You are a person—body and soul—and your mother is your mother. You wouldn’t say, “My mother isn’t really ‘my mother’; she’s only the mother of my body.” It is the same with Jesus, Who is fully human and fully divine—Who is God.
edit on 3-11-2012 by Vitruvian because: txt


Mary is asleep in her grave and will remain so until Jesus come back. She was indeed the mother of His humanity, and not His divinity, like you stated; He never said anything about Mary being worthy of homage any more than any other person who was chosen by God to carry out His works. In fact, Jesus said so Himself that He does nothing except that which the Father does through Him. He never attributed anything of that sort to Mary:

John 14:10(KJV)
10 Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.

Nowhere in the Bible does it state that Mary should be worshiped in any way, shape, or form. To encourage people to pray to and worship Mary the person is telling them to break Commandment #1. To encourage people to pray to a statue of Mary is telling them to break commandment #2 (which in turn breaks #1 at the same time).

When Jesus arose out of the water after being baptized, the sky opened up and the voice of the Father could be heard, and the Holy Spirit alighted upon His head. This clearly distinguishes the fact that there were 3 separate Gods in three separate places at the same moment. Jesus is a God, but He is not God the Father. Jesus is the Son of God the Father, and Mary is most definitely not the mother of God the Father. She was merely the one whose body was used to give birth to Jesus.





edit on 3-11-2012 by jeramie because: (no reason given)



posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   
One of the mods made it clear that this thread isn't the place for theological discussion. It's about the damn statue.



posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by PrplHrt
One of the mods made it clear that this thread isn't the place for theological discussion. It's about the damn statue.


Then you can close it.

Fire... Statue, stone - church wood

Mystery solved.

Close it!





top topics
 
14
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

log in

join