It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane #Sandy - Live coverage by ATS members

page: 35
<< 32  33  34    36  37  38 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr
reply to post by denver22

They wrote this more for Katrina, but what the hell. I'm sure theres Levees on the East Coast too.

It's late. I'm out. Hope everyones night on the east coast is safe and sound.

Actually, it was written in 1929 as a blues song about the great Mississippi flood of 1927. Led Zepplin only re-worked the song to a rock version in 1971.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Wow, talk about an paradox: streets are flooded but FDNY can't get water out of hydrants (hydrants under water) can't get in to fight fires due to flooding - saw earlier tweet where they were talking about drafting/siphon from ocean

NYC ARECS ‏@nycarecs Convoy of US Army with trucks arrived to help! Whole block on fire, 15 houses in Breezy Pt #NYC #FDNY cant get in and hydrants dry. #sandy

NYC ARECS ‏@nycarecs Fire in Breezy Point - 15+ homes on fire elevated to 4th Alarm now. Out of control, no water, trucks cant get in. #sandy #nyc #fdny

NYC ARECS ‏@nycarecs US Army on the move in New York City helping with fires, security and transportation #HOOAH #army @USNationalGuard #sot #nyc #sandy
link is twitter #sandy

2:11 AMLauren JohnstonThis is an FDNY update on the Breezy Point fire we have posted on already. We are hearing some reports that firefighters are having difficulty reaching the blaze due to flood waters. We will update when we can. QNS 4-ALARM BREEZY POINT FIRE, 15 BUILDINGS FULLY INVOLVED, — FDNY (@FDNY) October 30, 2012
Source:NY Daily News

Must be the 10-75??

I just hope this isn't in the same vicinity!!! Prayers to all -

NYC ARECS ‏@nycarecs Four Nursing Homes in Rockaway, NY all requesting assistance, police investigating. #fdny #nypd #sandy #nyc

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   

There is the image I was trying to post earlier! My friend is a police officer in Howard County, Maryland. She took this photo behind the police station slash firehouse. The humvees were startling and unusual to me (and to her, as she posted the pic on Facebook!). Then I figured eh could be using them for rescue ops if the water gets too hi for police vehicles, ambulances etc.
edit on 30-10-2012 by TheOtter because: Autocorrect made humvees=humbles hehe

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Oops, double posted.
edit on 30-10-2012 by TheOtter because: Double post!

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by talklikeapirat

He is not wearing safety glasses.

Might get a bug in his eye or something

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheOtter
Oops, double posted.
edit on 30-10-2012 by TheOtter because: Double post!

Just spotted in the side mirror someone is giving someone the finger? lol..

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   

No, that is her holding her phone taking the pic!

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by SCGrits

I read that the fire trucks couldn't get in to the fire hydrants. I thought fire trucks had their own pumps - so that they could utilise water other than from a connected water supply - or is that too risky with power lines down?? Anyone know.

Much Peace...

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Aww spit... heres the rub on Oyster creek... this came out of the Tribune less than an hour ago and it is citing Reuters...

www.chicagotribune.com...

The alert -- the second lowest of four NRC action levels -- came after water levels at the plant rose by more than 6.5 feet, potentially affecting the pumps that circulate water through the plant, an NRC spokesman said.

Those pumps are not essential since the plant is shut for planned refueling at the moment. However a further rise to 7 feet could submerge the service water pump motor that is used to cool the water in the spent fuel pool.

The spokesman said the company could use water from a fire hose to cool the pool if necessary. The used uranium rods in the pool could cause the water to boil within 25 hours without additional coolant; in an extreme scenario the rods could overheat, risking the eventual release of radiation.

You got to be kidding me. Its not the reactor, its the Spent Fuel Pool. Water levels are within 6" of shutting down the pumps that provide coolant for the Fuel rods there? They would switch to fire hoses if it does???

That explains the sirens someone reported earlier. Not good.

"Man the fire hoses men. We have to prevent a Fukushima style explosion."

"But sir, the pumps for the hoses are the same as the ones for the Spent Fuel Pool."

"Then call the fire department."

"We did. They are having trouble securing a route to the plant. All the roads are flooded."

"Then call the Army. Have them send us a couple Helicopters."

"We did that too. The sustained winds aloft are too high right now. They won't fly until daylight."

"Well then Malarki, sound the general alarm. Evacuate all personnel. Bring my car around front. Time to De De."

This has been a test of the dunce cap nuclear network. This is only a test. If this had been real world, you would have been instructed not to laugh and run like hell.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by magma

I thought he would end up on some windshield any moment, or some windshield on him.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

I know that. I meant prophetically speaking. Like the Credence song...

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 01:29 AM
link   

No, that is her holding her phone taking the pic!

My bad lol it does look like it. Is chesapeake bay hit bad, (delmarva) does anyone know?
I have a freind there and i am worried as i have had no contact etc..
edit on 30-10-2012 by denver22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Amanda5

Not sure....was able to find this pic; note timestamp is 1:17 am/ by 2:11 am they were calling for 4 alarm fire...and enlisting NatGuard/Army assistance. For some reason they aren't/weren't able to get in --Water too high still from storm surge/high tide??? That area is on the tip of a peninsula.
ABC pic link
edit on 30-10-2012 by SCGrits because: forgot link

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amanda5
reply to post by SCGrits

I read that the fire trucks couldn't get in to the fire hydrants. I thought fire trucks had their own pumps - so that they could utilise water other than from a connected water supply - or is that too risky with power lines down?? Anyone know.

Much Peace...

That is correct, the fire engine has a pump. It does not hold a significant amount of water, however and requires an outside source. The main job of the engine is to pump the water from the hydrant and increase the pressure so that e fireman on the tip has enough water pressure to fight the fire. You can't fight with a garden hose. You need the pressure to increase the GPM at the tip while accounting for friction loss from 200' or so of hose. The engine just pumps. Even a hydrant alone with no pumper is only going to put out about 50-60 psi usually.

Rural communities typically have tanker trucks, which as basically what they sound like. A big truck with water. These are not common in most city depts although I bet NY fireman have just about everything at their disposal one way or another.

I guess what you are getting at is probably more "why is there all of this flooding water in the streets and the firemen cant put out the fire?". Pumpers can draft water from an outside source. This is typically a pond, lake etc. the water must be static, free of debris (relatively, screens are used over the hose, but who knows what is moving int the flood waters) and of a significant depth.
edit on 30-10-2012 by TheOtter because: Added drafting ops

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   
nyc has some pretty narrow streets. they may not.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amanda5
reply to post by SCGrits

Much Peace...

That is correct, the fire engine has a pump. It does not hold a significant amount of water, however and requires an outside source. The main job of the engine is to pump the water from the hydrant and increase the pressure so that e fireman on the tip has enough water pressure to fight the fire. You can't fight with a garden hose. You need the pressure to increase the GPM at the tip while accounting for friction loss from 200' or so of hose. The engine just pumps. Even a hydrant alone with no pumper is only going to put out about 50-60 psi usually.

Rural communities typically have tanker trucks, which as basically what they sound like. A big truck with water. These are not common in most city depts although I bet NY fireman have just about everything at their disposal one way or another.

I guess what you are getting at is probably more "why is there all of this flooding water in the streets and the firemen cant put out the fire?". Pumpers can draft water from an outside source. This is typically a pond, lake etc. the water must be static, free of debris (relatively, screens are used over the hose, but who knows what is moving int the flood waters) and of a significant depth.
edit on 30-10-2012 by TheOtter because: Added drafting ops

125 psi is about the maximum pressure for a "hand line" in order to be manageable.

Stemmers or ladder apparatus can handle a lot more pressure.

edit on 30-10-2012 by morethanyou because: do u think im stoopid?

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Breaking:26,000 + Out of power here in Toronto.

So far my area and where i live we have been very lucky so far.

Early Tuesday, power outages affected:

More than 60,000 Hydro One customers
26,000 Toronto Hydro customers
More than 15,000 Powersource customers
About 250 Enersource customers

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 02:04 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 02:07 AM
link   
local media told us our power could be out for days; it was out for 4 hours. Also we were convinced the basement would flood. It didn't I am very happy in South Central P.A. I hope the peoples in the more coastal regions fare well. Also i made sure to drink while this storm happened. but i was safely inland. Stay safe, others! /Party Hurricane

Edit - My power might go out again; i am just happy because it usually goes out for much longer in regular storms; this one was clearly moving fast enough for our local companies to fix the stuff . Did i mention i am pretty drunk? Good luck to everyone north of me!
edit on 30-10-2012 by floppynoodleson666 because: storm be unpredictable

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 02:09 AM
link   
So NYC has a large power outage. Flooding is really bad now yeah, but now they have evacuated two major hospitals in upper Manhattan. NY Presbyterian being one of them. This is a hospital about 6 square city blocks big. Not counting surrounding buildings not directly connected. It serves a huge population. I suspect it has little to do with the threat of flooding, and more to do with power being out. I find it difficult to imagine their generators being able to power a facility that large for a prolonged period of time. I also suspect that they are worried about the human factor. People might act crazy under the circumstances.

We all know that sand bags have been set up all over the city, and that super markets are already bare. My wife spoke with her sister living in upper Manhattan and had to have the conversation about if anything should happen to her, that I should go get her kids, and raise them.....

People are scared. Really scared. I guess an act of god of this magnitude really puts your mind into focus.

Here is what con Edison has to say about the power outage to many people. (power company for NYC and greater New York area.)

WORST STORM DAMAGE EVER RIPS CON EDISON EQUIPMENT
NEW YORK – More than 650,000 customers in New York City and Westchester County lost electrical power due to Hurricane Sandy, Con Edison said early today.

"This is the largest storm-related outage in our history," said Con Edison Senior Vice President for Electric Operations John Miksad. The previous record was more than 200,000 customers affected by Hurricane Irene in 2011.

Miksad cautioned crews must assess damage prior making to repairs, but early today low-lying areas of New York City and Westchester County remained under water.

Challenges include, for example, more than 200 wires down on Staten Island. In Westchester County, more than 180 roads are closed.

Restoring electrical service to underground equipment demands cleaning all components of sea water, drying and testing to make it safe to restore power.

Here are the latest outages as of 1 a.m.Tuesday:

Manhattan: 193,000 customers
Westchester County: 158,000
Queens: 74,000
Brooklyn: 71,000
Staten Island: 76,000
Bronx: 38,000

www.coned.com...

That is just the beginning. How long will it take to replace all the equipment being destroyed?

I hope people don't go insane in the mean time. I am really worried now. Dumb storm just turned into some real Sh**

Pray for NYC.

top topics

<< 32  33  34    36  37  38 >>

join