It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question about gravity.

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Maybe you should lose the earth not affecting the tube then and put ur weight in space. Then it would float to whatever was exerting a gravitational force on it. Think about it if that was the case wouldnt astronauts train in vacuums rather then in pools and dropping aircraft. The earth will pull always and forever as it has mass.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by spy66
There is no gravity inside the tunnel.

Why not? Do you think somehow a vacuum stops gravity?

Earths gravity is isolated by the tunnel.

Why do you think that? What do you base your claim that a vacuum stops gravity on?

It does not effect the 10kg mass.

Why not?

You really do not seem to understand even basic physics if you think a vacuum stops gravity! how do you think tides are formed if a vacuum stops gravity of the moon....

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Mikado

Mikado...I agree. There are just too many perspectives as well as unspoken variables such as Magnetic Effects, Gravitic Compression that would cause a Steel Ball to change state, an objects movement toward the wall of such a tunnel as if fell deeper...etc.

The whole question is flawed as is any possible realistic answer. Split Infinity

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by DenyObfuscation

Look at my reply to Mikado. Split Infinity

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by chr0naut

As I posted to another member...Steven Hawking spent a good part of his life trying to develop the Math to describe what exactly is going on in a Black Whole...he failed...miserably. In the end...NO ONE has been able to provide the quantitative math for any description of a Black Holes Gravity Wells...SPECIAL EFFECTS.

These things at this point can only be spoken of in general terms as specifics seem to above the mental capacity of Human Beings at this point in our development. Split Infinity

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
guess what... there's no black hole at the center of the earth....

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by SplitInfinity

I did. It looked a lot like

I'd still like to know why you think what you do.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by DenyObfuscation
reply to post by SplitInfinity

I did. It looked a lot like

I'd still like to know why you think what you do.

Excellent summation!

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by DenyObfuscation

White Flag? Doesn't sound like me.

I believe what I have posted because of it's LOGIC. If we look at it this way perhaps? We know that any Large Celestial Body has a great enough mass to present Special Effects that have allowed Einstein to describe Relativity and General Relativity.

In these Theories he proposed that GRAVITY was in fact the Curvature of Space/Time Geometry and I am sure I do not have to go into all the other specifics. One of the things he predicted but was not proven until years later was how Light would travel along the Curvature of Space/Time and that our Sun was a large enough amount of Mass to allow our observation of this effect. As well as Deflection of light...this is from Wiki...Also the deflection of light by massive bodies was predicted. Although the approximation was crude, it allowed him to calculate that the deflection is nonzero. German astronomer Erwin Finlay-Freundlich publicized Einstein's challenge to scientists around the world.[4] This urged astronomers to detect the deflection of light during a solar eclipse, and gave Einstein confidence that the scalar theory of gravity proposed by Gunnar Nordström was incorrect. But the actual value for the deflection that he calculated was too small by a factor of two, because the approximation he used doesn't work well for things moving at near the speed of light. When Einstein finished the full theory of general relativity, he would rectify this error and predict the correct amount of light deflection by the sun.

It is this aspect of Gravitational Specialized Effects that we know to exist in a Black Hole...should be present to some Small Extent in a Gravity Well that is Created by the Earth. This maybe a guess to some but it does have a Line of Logic to it and if true...we can throw Energy Conservation out the Window as how it pertains to the Center of a Gravity Well. Split Infinity

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
“A man must be big enough to admit his mistakes, smart enough to profit from them, and strong enough to correct them.”
~ John C. Maxwell

The only force acting on the weight in question is gravity. It will move from North to South and continue in an endless cycle given the parameters in the problem. This has been explained in great detail by many, many people. If you refuse to accept it, that's on you. The proof has been given.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by PurpleChiten

“A man must be big enough to admit his mistakes, smart enough to profit from them, and strong enough to correct them.”
~ John C. Maxwell

If you stand by your quote of Maxwell...then please explain to us all what exactly is your PROOF that Gravity is a FORCE? It is not. If you believe it is then by all means...provide the PROOF that Gravity is not the Curvature of Space/Time Geometry.

Split Infinity

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by SplitInfinity

~ John C. Maxwell

If you stand by your quote of Maxwell...then please explain to us all what exactly is your PROOF that Gravity is a FORCE? It is not. If you believe it is then by all means...provide the PROOF that Gravity is not the Curvature of Space/Time Geometry.

Split Infinity

::sigh::
It makes no difference what gravity is in the context of the question and you can't seem to get that through you head.

Seriously, it's been proven several times, over and over and over and over. I'm not going to play your game and I'm not going to let you dig yourself deeper into the hole. You know as well as everyone else that what you posted was wrong and you're trying to cover it up. Just admit it and go on. This is getting beyond ridiculous.

If you want to keep ranting and raving, go ahead. I'm not going to participate in it. When you can communicate sensibly, then we can talk, otherwise.... enjoy.

ETA: and surely to GOD you aren't trying to say that gravity isn't a force???

The nature, cause and makeup of gravity does not change the fact that it is a force. Regardless of what causes gravity or how gravity comes into being, it's still a force acting on two objects depending on their mass and distance from one another. That much has been established for centuries now....

edit on 30-10-2012 by PurpleChiten because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   

As I asked you...PROVE IT! Surely your confidence shown in your posts would seem to indicate that to your own reply...something as simple as everyone here has made this Topic answer Academic in your opinion...would make it very easy for you to prove this...but of course it cannot since you still have not proved it!

Split Infinity

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   

As I asked you...PROVE IT! Surely your confidence shown in your posts would seem to indicate that to your own reply...something as simple as everyone here has made this Topic answer Academic in your opinion...would make it very easy for you to prove this...but of course it cannot since you still have not proved it!

Split Infinity

????
I am NOT going to sit here and type a dissertation for you. It is easily googled and easily read. It's FUNDAMENTAL!
You seem to have difficulty realizing that a force isn't a physical, animate object. It's an effect, not a thing.
Go read Newton, Einstein, heck, go read a high school physics book if you want proof. That's like asking someone to prove that 2+2=4 in the base 10 number system.... Seriously dude, you need to do a little bit of learning if you want to discuss things of an academic nature.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   

NOW WHO IS RAISING THE WHITE FLAG!?

You state Gravity is a FORCE. You state that I am wrong and what is being discussed here is a simple question answered by Physics and Math yet you cannot PROVE what you state. Instead you DEFLECT by answering that to PROVE what you post would take a lengthy dissertation?

Sounds like a COP OUT! The REALITY is that it is you who have ignored Maxwell's statement. How unfortunate for you that you used it. Split Infinity

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Nikola Tesla said it best...

"Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality." - Nikola Tesla

Of course, I said that same thing earlier in this topic but in a different way.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   

As I asked you...PROVE IT!

As has been mentioned several times to you in this thread, and hundreds of times to you in other threads, gravity is a force because a force is defined to be something that causes a change in momentum: any time momentum changes it was the result of a force, and any non-zero net force causes a change in momentum. Gravity changes momentum because it causes things to move, thus it is a force. The end.

Every single physicist in on the planet completely and totally agrees with this definition and with the conclusion that gravity is a force.

Also, you keep mentioning that gravity is curvature. It is. This is not only not mutually exclusive with being a force, it is the same thing as being a force. Which is something you would know if you had ever read (and understood) anything about gravity written by someone who's not a complete crackpot.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by illuminated0ne

I.O....Very well said...Oh and Tesla too! LOL!

Your statement applies Very Much to what happened to Hawking. Now I have Great Respect for the Man but he spent so much time trying to come up with Concrete Equations to define and explain what was happening in a Black Hole that in the end...even he was not sure what all these equations meant and ignored the GOLDEN RULE OF PHYSICS which is that THERE IS NO GOLDEN RULE!

Many here may take exception to my statement but the same word can be used for what Hawking failed to account for in his equations...EXCEPTION! I am very much certain to a degree that the reason so many have tried and failed in the endeavours to come up with the Concrete Math and Equations is that they are using to small a set of parameters or system to place this Multi-Angled Peg into a SQUARE HOLE!

I find that looking at the Nature of something and how it acts and behaves no matter how bizarre will at the very least give us a clue to how the Nature of how something similar but not as Massive will also behave. Now I know someone will bring up Quantum Particle/Wave Forms and their Mechanics as apposed to the Macro-Universe...but since we are not applying Quantum Behavior to Multiversal Behavior and although this is just beginning to take hold as a concept...we used to only use our Single Universal Behavior. This obviously is a question that can only be answered once the parameters have been defined and once that occurs...we may find it was in front of our noses all along.

Split Infinity

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Moduli

Although Gravity has been defined as the Weak Force...and you have provided a definition as to what constitutes a Force...Gravity is described as such because we simply do not have the proper vocabulary for it's TRUE DESCRIPTION.

You state that Gravity is a Force because a Force is described as anything that provides a Change in Momentum. Well then by all means...explain what Momentum is being changed as LIGHT or PHOTONS travel the Space/Time Curvature into a Black Hole?

Where is your CHANGE IN MOMENTUM? Split Infinity

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Moduli

What? NO reply? You seem to have been quick enough to make your previous reply to me. What happened? Oh...forgive me. I spoke of something that does not fit into the box you have created.

Split Infinity

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join