It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question about gravity.

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by PurpleChiten

1: You have no idea who I am.

2: I didn't drop out of high school. I am a college graduate.

3: You are trying to character assassinate somebody you don't know, which proves you don't have any valid arguments, and that you are delusional.

4: You can't even admit you have no idea what gravity is and how it behaves in all environments, and that truth hurts you so you lash out at people because you are afraid of not knowing something.

5: I am not trying to oppose reality, you are. You think you know everything about gravity which is a fantasy and not reality.
edit on 25-10-2012 by illuminated0ne because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   

The Fact you are talking about ABSOLUTES...is all that is needed for anyone reading your post to know you do not have very much knowledge about Quantum Mechanics or General Physics. The Golden Rule of Physics is that there are NO GOLDEN RULES. EVERYTHING IS RELATIVE and exception is the standard Natural Order in our Universal Reality. Split Infinity

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by moebius
reply to post by SplitInfinity

What are you trying to achieve? Is it some weird social experiment to see how far you can get by talking nonsense? Or are you just bored and trolling?

Not my fault you are just not getting it.
Split Infinity

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Now THERE is a statement! You said..."No Force is an actual Force." Hey...where can I go to learn to make statements this stupid? I really even regret saying that as I hate to be rude but you are attempting to make this debate personal when you could spend your time typing PROOF to your statements rather than attempting to goad me on. LOL!

You will find that respond much better to someone providing PROOF of their statements. You have not done so as spouting Newtonian Physics as well as talking about Einstein...a person who was NOT SATISFIED and he himself stated on MANY occasions that he was uncomfortable with even HIS OWN THEORIES as well as inability to have even the SLIGHTEST CLUE how to find a line of logic to develop the Unified Field Theory.

You have asked if I have ever even taken a course in Physics when your own statements once read by anyone here show how LIMITED your FLEXIBILITY of thought is when discussing possible exceptions to what you consider CONSTANT STATIC CONCRETE RULES OF UNIVERSAL PHYSICAL LAWS.

That is your greatest drawback...a Total Inability to think of other possibilities. Split Infinity

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   

ATTENTION!!!!!

Any future bickering, name-calling, off topic and/or rude remarks will have dire consequences!!!!!

This is not a street corner.

We expect civility and decorum within all topics - Please Review This Link.

You are responsible for your own posts.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by renegadeloser

Thank You for understanding. Also..Thank You for replying in an Intelligent and Thoughtful Manner. You are correct in what you post but I have a certain extent of knowledge about this subject which is not really the Topic as the Topic's Question is not only based on Fantasy but does not even take into account that an object falling toward the center of a Gravity Well in a Vacuum that is somehow a tunnel that is without friction as any tunnel would have a limit of Radius of which the outside of this tunnels radius would have this object sliding against on all sides as to it's changing position as it dropped since Gravitational Effect is not limited to a STRAIGHT LINE in two directions!

Split Infinity

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   

It seems to me that if Gravity would stop the pendulum, we wouldn't have this disagreement. Unless of course we all survived Earth crashing into the Sun.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by renegadeloser

Naw! It is not important for me to have others think or believe as I do. It is important to me to be able to have a good debate based on mutual respect...which seems for some here to be a commodity of which they are lacking. I do not refer to you.

As far a the Scientific Method. This works as long as the person using this tried and true method of determination is capable of understanding what is being measured, observed and postulated. If they cannot hope to understand then they are incapable of using this method properly.

A much more basic explanation would be...Incomprehensible IN...DUH OUT! LOL! Split Infinity

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by SplitInfinity
A Vacuum tunnel through the center of the Earth is impossible of course but if you forget REALITY and HEAT....the object would fall until it reached the Center of the Earths Gravity Well. It would then pass by it for a moment where it would loose speed and come to a halt and then fall back toward the earths Gravity Well from the other direction. This would go on until it finally came to a stop dead center.
Split Infinity

If its a perfect vacuum then, I would think, there would be no other forces at work, so it would just repeatedly go from one end to the other until the earths gravity eventually stopped.

Why do you think it would slow down? Where would that force be transferring to? Friction is what would slow it down, but because this is a perfect vacuum there would be none. Another way if could slow down is if the force of gravity is not equal to the other side at the same distance, but that would be impossible.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Kr0nZ

K...in reality we both know that this question uses concepts that are not possible. But even in a Friction absent environment...there are other concerns that prevent the object to continue to travel back and forth from one end of the full diameter of the Earth to the other side.

Now some here have brought up that Gravity would build up Potential Kinetic Energy in the object falling towards and through the Earths Gravity Well at a level that would allow the falling object to be THROWN UPWARDS with enough Kinetic Force created by the fall to travel to the very top of the tunnel on the other side of the Gravity Well that has the object now being forced upwards.

They site that Gravity creates enough Potential Kinetic Energy to overcome Gravitational Effect on the other direction of travel or an equal transfer of Kinetic Energy.

Here is where things go wrong. Even with a FANTASY NON FRICTIONAL TUNNEL...as the object say falls 80% of the distance to the center of Gravity...it has to contend with postulated special effects that are specific ONLY to the Center of a Gravity Well that is as Massive in Effect as a Celestial Body. These type of effects are seen in examples of Celestial Bodies of much greater mass such as a Black Hole. Within a Black Holes created SINGULARITY all Conventional Physics Break Down. Using this as a Model it is Logical to assume that another Celestial Body of Great Mass but of a lessor Mass than a Black Hole...will have a Small but Specific amount of the same Physics Busting Effect which is no where near a Black Holes Specialized Effect but PRESENT JUST THE SAME even though it would be much smaller of an effect due to Earths much smaller quantity of Mass.

THIS is why KINETIC ENERGY ENTROPY WOULD OCCUR. This goes against the law that states that Energy cannot be destroyed or lost but only transformed or transferred. But we see this occurring in a Black Hole as it is able to absorb or capture both Matter, Energy as well as capture Photons as Light travels along the Space/Time Curvature and into the Black Holes Gravity Well. Here is a Quantum Particle/Wave Form traveling at the Universal Maximum Velocity but yet it cannot escape this Gravitational Effect. The reason? The reason is that the Light is not being pushed or pulled by any FORCE but rather is traveling along the Dimensional Changing Effect of Warping Space/Time that is Gravity. If as some have stated here...Gravity was a Force...it would not be able to change the travel vector of Light..nor could it continue to swallow Matter and Atomic Particles of Mass as it can and does yet creates a TOTAL STATE OF KINETIC ENERGY ENTROPY WITHOUT Kinetic Energy Transference.

This effect is also located in a much smaller state...at the Center of Earths Gravity Well. The Greater the amount of Mass of a Celestial Body...the Greater the Curvature of Space/Time or Change of Distance and Dimensionality and Greater the EXPRESSION OF SINGULARITY OR ONE DIMENSIONALITY.

In a One Dimensional State...all points of position in our Universe as well as all points of Linear Time...Past, Present and Future are the same point. Matter and Energy cannot exist in a ONE DIMENSIONAL UNIVERSE but a 10 or 11 Dimensional Universe as ours is postulated to be...will have each Dimensional State subject to each of all other Dimensional States. An example is that although 3 Dimensions can describe an object...that object can not exist without a Fourth Dimension of Time as Matter needs an Electron Particle/Wave Form in Orbit about it's Nucleus. Even this is not enough Dimensions for Matter to exist as Quantum Particle/Wave Forms of which all Protons and Neutrons are completely comprised of...need at the very least 10 or 11 Dimensional States. Without all of these Dimensions and perhaps even Quantum Connectivity to other Divergent States of Universal Reality in a Multiversal System....Matter and Energy COULD NOT EXIST!

It is Special Conditions such as the Center of Earths Gravity Well...that cause Physics Busting Cause and Effects such as violation of Energy Conservation and Transference as well as Entropy. This Topics question...although it cannot be proven 100% as yet...there are certain Lines of Logic as well as some bits of Information that few are Privy that allow me to state with near certainty...the falling object in this scenarios FANTASY ENVIRONMENT...would fall through the Gravity Well where it would under go Gravitic Compression at such a level as to Change it's STATE...but we will even ignore that reality and pretend it falls through the earths Gravity Well. It would loose Kinetic Energy as it passed through the Gravity Well. It would pass through and not make it to the other side and would fall back where it would continue to loose Kinetic Energy until it came to a rest dead center of the Center. Split Infinity

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   

I apologize for the character attack, not good form in a discussion like this.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   

I am sorry but this is pseudoscientific nonsense.

Feel free to refute my statement by providing a mathematical formulation of your post.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   

But gravity is a conservative force, so you get the same amount of energy out of it that was put in, unless that energy is transferred to a non-conservative medium (air-friction in most cases, but we are talking about a perfect vacuum)

So what is the non-conservative force that you seem to think the energy is transferring to?

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by DenyObfuscation

It seems to me that if Gravity would stop the pendulum, we wouldn't have this disagreement. Unless of course we all survived Earth crashing into the Sun.

Precisely

With the conditions set forth in the original post (vacuum, not friction, etc), According to the law of conservation of energy, the weight will travel from one pole to the other and back and forth indefinitely, just as the instructor stated.

The Potential energy is converted to Kinetic energy until it reaches the center, then the Kinetic is converted to Potential and it travels to the exact same distance at the South pole, then repeats the process. This is one of the most simple of physics problems that demonstrates the conservation of energy. The only way it would slow down or balance out at the center is if there was an external force such as friction that is exerted on the system.

This is a great example of Newton's first law of motion. An object in motion stays in motion in a straight path unless acted upon by an outside force. The only force being noted is the gravitational force. With gravitational force alone, it would cycle back and forth from one pole to the other indefinitely.

It's good to see that many posters here do understand the basic laws of motion and are able to apply it to situations.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   

I posted an off topic post which has been removed by the moderator.

If I had taken the time to reconsider, I would not have posted it, but I was called away and hit post carelessly.

I apologize for any upset it may have caused.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kr0nZ

But gravity is a conservative force, so you get the same amount of energy out of it that was put in, unless that energy is transferred to a non-conservative medium (air-friction in most cases, but we are talking about a perfect vacuum)

So what is the non-conservative force that you seem to think the energy is transferring to?

could gravity be the force of vacuum squeezing around a mass,, trying to compress it into vacuum?

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaFungi

If that were the case, why would objects of more mass have a stronger influence than objects of less mass?
If that were the case, why would gravitation be proportionate to the product of the mass of two objects?
If that were the case, why would gravitation be inversely proportionate to the distance between those two objects?

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by ImaFungi

If that were the case, why would objects of more mass have a stronger influence than objects of less mass?
If that were the case, why would gravitation be proportionate to the product of the mass of two objects?
If that were the case, why would gravitation be inversely proportionate to the distance between those two objects?

larger the mass,, the larger area of vacuum to over come the mass,,.,. its as if the vacuum is trying to squeeze everything out of existence,,, or just the strength of the grip of the area of vacuum around a mass,,

because gravity would act like a wave,,,, it would be like a frequency pattern of two photons in the slit experiment,,
two forces interacting being able to measure the "Strength" of their gravity over time gives you a wave like level,,, added to the other masses gravity level,, and when they interact the waves take some power of each other,, but the stronger force has more "leverage".,.,,.

im not sure,,, maybe its similar to two magnets interacting,, but im not sure,,, im not sure how to answer ( any of them truthfully) this last one,, but it could be similar to the reasons of my first two answers..

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

it also helps to imagine the model of the universes cosmology,, would you say,,, whatever gravity is,,, it is what makes the universe move? or the universe was put in motion,, energy was "separated" and then when it clump together the impact gained momentum,, and when relatively bigger and bigger pieces started sticking together in a relatively close area,, the force between them,, "from taking up space",,, caused them to send wakes of gravity,, pushing smaller masses or keeping perfect size masses at some kind of orbit away,, small masses that got pushed by larger masses towards other masses untill it was all in decent size masses with their own gravity keeping all other largest clumps of mass at a for the time being safe distance,,, this is just random thought ramble,,, but maybe we can talk about cosmology and also how that ties into what gravity may actually fundamentally be,,, why it exists etc...

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join