It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'My son is NOT very optimal... he is very dead': Mother of U.S. diplomat killed in Libya attack sl

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by shadwgirl
But a grieving mother wants to hear words like tragedy, travesty, maybe even criminal. Using optimal makes it sound like it set him back on a plan. I understand what the president was saying, but look at it from the mother's point of view. He could have said it in a more compassionate manner.

No, he should've said it in a more compassionate matter. What he said shows that he does not care about the killed person or loss of life at all. To Obama it's just a set back, a nuisance. Not a tragedy or a blow to the USA. He simply does not care.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by MsAphrodite

Originally posted by newcovenant

Originally posted by MsAphrodite
reply to post by newcovenant

Did you even watch the video I just linked? Did you open the article? Do you still find the Obama administrations treatment of Ambassador Steven's mother sympathetic?

No I didn't, but I am not searching for evidence the President is a compassionate man. You are.

Please re-read what I said. What you just said here is quite a spin of my comment. I was speaking specifically about Obama's behavior in this instance towards this woman. I am not generalizing about Obama's overall level of compassion.

It was a less than compassionate response, I'll give you that but hey, we're at war.
He did show up to greet her sons body and that shows respect. Other Presidents refused to allow photographs of the dead so we would deliberately underestimate the toll of war. I am not voting that party in.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shred

But a grieving mother wants to hear words like tragedy, travesty, maybe even criminal. Using optimal makes it sound like it set him back on a plan. I understand what the president was saying, but look at it from the mother's point of view. He could have said it in a more compassionate manner.

No, he should've said it in a more compassionate matter. What he said shows that he does not care about the killed person or loss of life at all. To Obama it's just a set back, a nuisance. Not a tragedy or a blow to the USA. He simply does not care.

He was there to greet the coffins, he does not care that much.

Why do people continue to try and lay traps for the man?

But (Obama) was replying to a question from Mr. Stewart, in which he said, “Even you would admit, it was not the optimal response, at least to the American people, as far as all of us being on the same page.”

Mr. Obama said: “The government is a big operation and any given time, something screws up. And you make sure that you find out what’s broken and you fix it.” “When four Americans get killed, it’s not optimal,” Mr. Obama said, (and) “We’re going to fix it. All of it.”

What did people want Obama to do here? Fake tears like Romney would and has done in the past? He answered the question using the words of his interviewer back at him. Pretty common response to any question.
I think you are reading more into this and the mother...well she is naturally distraught. She's lost her son so becoming unhinged and lashing out is perfectly understandable...for her.

edit on 20-10-2012 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   

What did people want Obama to do here?

Show compassion. Show humanity. Show the victims the respect they deserve, instead of making it seem like a set back on a plan. Instead of a making it seem like a statistic on a sheet of paper. This, to me, was the last straw. I cannot respect a man who has such a lack of respect for people who died while serving under his administration and for the relatives of these people.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shred

What did people want Obama to do here?

Show compassion. Show humanity. Show the victims the respect they deserve, instead of making it seem like a set back on a plan. Instead of a making it seem like a statistic on a sheet of paper. This, to me, was the last straw. I cannot respect a man who has such a lack of respect for people who died while serving under his administration and for the relatives of these people.

That is seriously and probably deliberately misreading the man. You vote how you want. I already voted.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 02:03 AM
link   
optimal: adj. Most favorable or desirable; optimum.
-freeonlinedictionary

obama was right, what happened to the diplomats was either favorable, nor desirable.

now they attacking obama with their failure to understand the english language.

right now, i feel i've heard it all. until the next time i feel like i've heard it all..

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 03:29 AM
link   

en.wikipedia.org...
105,052 – 1,033,000 dead
There is no agency that keeps track of accurate numbers of Iraqis killed.

Maybe I'll care about a U.S. diplomat killed in Libya after USA brings all those Iraqis back to life.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
optimal: adj. Most favorable or desirable; optimum.
-freeonlinedictionary

obama was right, what happened to the diplomats was either favorable, nor desirable.

now they attacking obama with their failure to understand the english language.

right now, i feel i've heard it all. until the next time i feel like i've heard it all..

Exactly.

Did anyone follow up on Steven's CIA connections? Did anyone follow up on the CIA presence there?

Optimal does not mean "Optimus Prime", kiddos. It is just as described, favorable.

I'm sorry that in some parts of the country that the education system is that poor. I mean, "optimal" ... that's a pretty basic word to define.
edit on 20-10-2012 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 04:26 AM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

Before you start blaming it on FOX (just the way the POTUS blames everyone else except his own actions), this is not FOX news everyone

No, it's the Daily Mail. Just as bad as Fox but British.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 04:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Wide-Eyes

Fox news is reporting the optimal story though, just heard Hannity whining over it.

edit on 20-10-2012 by 3chainz because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
reply to post by newcovenant

Dear newcovenant,

Hi, again. I'm jumping in because I'd like something clarified. I haven't been following this closely, and I'm hoping you can help.

I found this one shocking that "they" would use this woman or worse that she would cooperate with a clear political maneuver, to embarrass our POTUS instead of standing strong and united against our enemies in the region. It there no lengths this GOP will not go to, no levels too low to broach... to win an election?
I assumed, and it sounded like, this was a cry of anguish from a wounded mother. It didn't seem to be political, it seemed more a protest against an unfeeling jab. You can see the reaction it caused here. I thought it was definitely insensitive at least, regardless of the politics.

This doesn't cause me object to Obama as a politician, but to him as a man.

Consider the nurse coming out of surgery to tell a mother her son died. As the doctor comes out, she rushes up to him, crying "Is it true? Is my son dead?" The doctor replies, "Well, it wasn't the optimal outcome, now was it?"

I would think anyone would either insult or assault the doctor after a comment like that. In the same way, this isn't about politics, it's about Obama, the man, acting like a jerk. (No, I'm not saying here that he IS a jerk, just that he acted like one this time.)

With respect,
Charles1952

You are taking this totally out of context. Just like everyone else that is complaining about it. Watch the video again he only used the word optimal in response to the question that Stewart said to him which used the word optimal.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   

no, I meant violence. I mean any type of violence whether from jihad to getting shot in a drive by. It pains me when any life is lost to any type of violence. But maybe I should have been more specific to the situation. Also, I was trying to imagine being in Obama's shoes when I was typing my answer.
edit on 19-10-2012 by shadwgirl because: grammar

My apologies if I came on too strongly on the use of the term "Violence" as a stand-alone word..........I just wanted other readers to realize that the sort of violence we see committed by al Qaeda terrorists isn't just your everyday sort of an attack on other individuals or property...........its really serious mayhem that these people deliver.
edit on 20-10-2012 by Vitruvian because: text

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Summerian

en.wikipedia.org...
105,052 – 1,033,000 dead
There is no agency that keeps track of accurate numbers of Iraqis killed.

Maybe I'll care about a U.S. diplomat killed in Libya after USA brings all those Iraqis back to life.

That's not an optimal estimation because your acting like those numbers are innocent people..
There not they are iraqi soldiers killed in battle big difference.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

Don't worry you're not alone, it is like people have never heard a politician or journalist use the word 'optics' before.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I READ IN THE BUSINESS INSIDER; THAT THIS AMERICAN AMBASSADOR TO LIBYA WAS LINKED WITH A CRIME OF SUPPLYING ARMS TO THE REBELS IN SYRIA AGAINST PRESIDENT ASSAD AND THAT; SOME PEOPLE IN THE GOVERNMENT ORGANISED HIS BEING KILLED:

TO ME; I THINK HE WAS KILLED OUT OF JEALOUSY BY SOME AMERICANS AND THAT HIS MOTHER SHOULD BE COMPENSATED: THE KILLED MAN WAS A JURIS DOCTOR AND HE ALSO ATTENDED THE MILITARY SCHOOL, THE MOTHER SPENT HER FORTUNE ON HER SON AND I FEEL THAT SHE MUST NOT LOSE TOTALLY: THE MAN `S ACTION; IF BUSINESS INSIDER PRESS IS RIGHT; SUPPOSED TO BE STOPPED WITH SERIOUS WARNINGS BY THE MINISTER OF EXTERNAL AFFAIRS; IF THE US GOVERNMENT WAS AGAINST:

THEY PUSHED HIM TO ACT AND KILLED HIM; IT WAS LIKE A CONSPIRACY ISSUE:

stephenca

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

I wonder if these people know what Optimal even means?

Who are "these people"? The mother of the dead diplomat? If it was Cindy Sheehan would you make this remark?
Insinuating that people who don't agree with the Obamanation are just stupid fools is not going to get you far in a real debate.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by stephenca

THEY PUSHED HIM TO ACT AND KILLED HIM; IT WAS LIKE A CONSPIRACY ISSUE:

Who did? The jealous Americans you spoke of or the WH as it was suggested in the media sources. I also heard about Barack's hand in this, and some people would do anything to defend him. The guy was probably killed so as not to expose the role POTUS had in the deal, just like Fast and Furious, this POTUS is committing treason in a big way to arm our enemies.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I know webster Tarpley is someone folks poke fun at, but he said something yesterday or today that was exactly what i said in this thread earlier,

Webster Tarpley: CIA Has Fingerprints All Over Benghazi Assault

Oct 20, 2012
The prime suspect in the death of Ambassador Stevens and his three colleagues is Sufyan Bin Qumu, an obvious US double agent who spent several years in Guantanamo and who doubtless swore eternal obedience to the CIA to get released.

en.wikipedia.org...

Abu Sufian Ibrahim Ahmed Hamuda Bin Qumu is a citizen of Libya who was held in extrajudicial detention in the United States Guantanamo Bay detention camps, in Cuba.[1] Joint Task Force Guantanamo counter-terrorism analysts report he was born on 26 June 1959, in Derna, Libya.
Qumu was transferred to Libya on 28 September 2007.[2] In 2011 he became the leader of a band of fighters in his hometown of Derna during the 2011 Libyan civil war.[3][4]

Feb 17 Revolution

In 2011 he became the leader of a band of fighters in his hometown of Derna called Ansar al-Sharia (Derna,Libya) during the 2011 Libyan civil war.[3][4]

Qumu was reported by Fox News as possibly being involved with and may have led the September 11th, 2012 attack on the US Consulate in Benghazi, Libya that resulted in the murder of four US Diplomats including US Ambassador Chris Stevens.[10] However, at this time a US national security official reported to Mother Jones that "that report is wrong, there's no intelligence suggesting that he was leading the attack on the consulate that evening."[11]

This guy -- who KNOWS?

"The hand at the end of the arm of executive government is the CIA"

www.themorgandoctrine.com...

FRIDAY, JUNE 17, 2011

Frank Herbert predicted LulzSec
Time Magazine's Techland blog did a fairly decent job characterizing the motivations behind LulzSec today. They even likened their mentality to Heath Ledger's role in The Dark Knight, although they quoted the wrong line. My favorite line is when Aaron Eckhard said he was going to flip a coin, and either join Ledger's Joker personnae or kill him. To which Ledger replied, "Now you're talking!"

As crazy as it sounds, these yokels attacking the CIA, the U.S. Senate and other high profile institutions makes a certain sense if you consider the calculus of history. When the government becomes completely disfunctional and remarkably illogical, the subsequent vacuum actually creates the countering force. In other words, the USA created LulzSec.

Now don't take this too far, as some whacked-out politicians have suggested that we created the atmosphere in which terrorism was demanded. That's pure hogwash. Jihadists had to invoke terrorist strategies to deflect the attention of their populations from their own bankrupt ideologies. If the USA didn't exist, jihadists would have had to create us as the external focus. Remember, the best rule for pure marketing is "common cause, common enemy."

But we did create LulzSec. Heck, if I didn't belong to a religion that insisted on obedience to the "laws of the land," I'd probably flush a few cherry bombs down the toilets of various federal buildings. Frustration with cyber policy can make smart people do some stupid and self-destructive things. Which is what Frank Herbert predicted in both Dune and in The Tactful Saboteur. Simply put, technology will come to the point where a single individual can bring down everything. And here we are with LulzSec.

Frank Herbert, working on the staff of the San Francisco Examiner, could hardly help being deeply affected by these wild historical currents washing through his adopted hometown. The hippies, the drugs, the war, the politics -- all influenced his attitudes in ways that become obvious when his works are placed in historical perspective.

But in the summer of 1971, when Herbert was writing Hellstrom's Hive7 [22], about all that remained of that fantastic decade was rising smoke and ash, a nightmare war in Vietnam that raged on, and concentric rings of paranoia spreading steadily outward from the Nixon White House. Those preaching imminent victory in Vietnam could not be believed. The C.I.A. and the F.B.I. could not be trusted. Darkness was enveloping America.

Which makes Hellstrom's Hive more comprehensible.

We were at this point in history toward the "end" of the FAILED and GENOCIDAL madness of the Vietnam War.
Yet WHERE ARE THE PROTESTORS??

ON FACEBOOK

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I forgot to add this one:

How US Ambassador Chris Stevens May Have Been Linked To Jihadist Rebels In Syria

Michael Kelley
Bussines Insider
October 19, 2012

The official position is that the US has refused to allow heavy weapons into Syria.
But there’s growing evidence that U.S. agents—particularly murdered ambassador Chris Stevens—were at least aware of heavy weapons moving from Libya to jihadist Syrian rebels.

In March 2011 Stevens became the official U.S. liaison to the al-Qaeda-linked Libyan opposition, working directly with Abdelhakim Belhadj of the Libyan Islamic Fighting Group—a group that has now disbanded, with some fighters reportedly participating in the attack that took Stevens’ life.

In November 2011 The Telegraph reported that Belhadj, acting as head of the Tripoli Military Council, “met with Free Syrian Army [FSA] leaders in Istanbul and on the border with Turkey” in an effort by the new Libyan government to provide money and weapons to the growing insurgency in Syria.

Yikes
Remember what I said about Hillary calling in all the ambassadors for off the wire meeting.
I wonder what Stephens' job was after that
edit on 20-10-2012 by KhufuKeplerTriangle because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wide-Eyes
reply to post by hp1229

Before you start blaming it on FOX (just the way the POTUS blames everyone else except his own actions), this is not FOX news everyone
No, it's the Daily Mail. Just as bad as Fox but British.

Sure if things doesn't satisfy a person's viewpoint, it has to be the media
Anyway...it is all over the net and other MSM outlets.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join