It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'My son is NOT very optimal... he is very dead': Mother of U.S. diplomat killed in Libya attack sl

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Interesting...while the POTUS thinks its a cool campaign strategy to go on talk shows and be suave in his comments.

The mother of an American diplomat killed during a terrorist raid on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi has hit out at Barack Obama for describing the attack as 'not optimal', saying: 'My son is not very optimal - he is also very dead.'

[url=http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2220241/Barack-Obama-Benghazi-attack-Mother-diplomat-criticises-Presidents-optimal-comment.html]LINK[/url ]
www.dailymail.co.uk...

Before you start blaming it on FOX (just the way the POTUS blames everyone else except his own actions), this is not FOX news everyone

edit on 19-10-2012 by hp1229 because: edit content

p.s: Mods, please fix the link. Thanks.

edit on Fri Oct 19 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: attempt to fix link

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Maybe she should start listening to what he said. He said the deaths were NOT optimal. Here's a video of him saying it. Some of these low life news shows should stop twisting words to this woman simply in a attempt to make Obama look bad.

Fixed your link.

'My son is NOT very optimal... he is very dead': Mother of U.S. diplomat killed in Libya attack slams 'insensitive' Obama's comment about security fiasco
edit on 19-10-2012 by buster2010 because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-10-2012 by buster2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I wonder if these people know what Optimal even means?

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010
Maybe she should start listening to what he said. He said the deaths were NOT optimal. Here's a video of him saying it. Some of these low life news shows should stop twisting words to this woman simply in a attempt to make Obama look bad.

Let me ask you something, supposing you knew someone who's son was brutally murdered( and I sincerely hope you never do) would you tell that person his death was not optimal? Sometimes, wording does count. Using the word optimal makes it sound less personal and more political and no mother wants to have her child's death politicized.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
The simple fact is most of these elitist career politicians are apathetic, compassionless sociopaths.

As long as we continue to believe in their rhetoric, we the people fail ourselves.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by shadwgirl

Let me ask you something, supposing you knew someone who's son was brutally murdered( and I sincerely hope you never do) would you tell that person his death was not optimal? Sometimes, wording does count. Using the word optimal makes it sound less personal and more political and no mother wants to have her child's death politicized.

He used the word optimal in response to Stewart's question.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

I have tried, Ohh lord how I have tried.
But, for the life of me I can't figure out why this comment was such a big deal.

He said

"Here's what I'll say: If four Americans get killed, it's not optimal. We're going to fix it. All of it,"

This is either

A. True.
It is NOT optimal. Because it is not the most desired possible outcome.

Adj. 1. optimal - most desirable possible under a restriction expressed or implied; "an optimum return on capital"; "optimal concentration of a drug"

Or

B. False. Because it IS the most desireable possible outcome.

Sounds like the answer is A.
So he is correct in saying what he said which is....

If four Americans get killed, it's not optimal.

So. what am I missing exactly?

Edit to add:
I am sure there is going to be some weak minded, brain dead, high functioning retard out there who is caught up in this false left/right paradigm who is going to accuse me of Supporting Obama.
Sorry, you lose. They are BOTH scumbags and I wouldn't shed a tear if either one of them fell off the planet. i do not support Obama but I DO support common sense and rationality. Anyone who thinks this statement of his is in any way hurtful,demeaning,derrogatory, or inflammatory is so far stuck into the Matrix that they have no hope of ever getting out. Take off your blinders and stop supporting your own slavery.
edit on 19-10-2012 by Screwed because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
But a grieving mother wants to hear words like tragedy, travesty, maybe even criminal. Using optimal makes it sound like it set him back on a plan. I understand what the president was saying, but look at it from the mother's point of view. He could have said it in a more compassionate manner.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Screwed
reply to post by hp1229

I have tried, Ohh lord how I have tried.
But, for the life of me I can't figure out why this comment was such a big deal.

He said

"Here's what I'll say: If four Americans get killed, it's not optimal. We're going to fix it. All of it,"

This is either

A. True.
It is NOT optimal. Because it is not the most desired possible outcome.

Adj. 1. optimal - most desirable possible under a restriction expressed or implied; "an optimum return on capital"; "optimal concentration of a drug"

Or

B. False. Because it IS the most desireable possible outcome.

Sounds like the answer is A.
So he is correct in saying what he said which is....

If four Americans get killed, it's not optimal.

So. what am I missing exactly?

You're missing the ingrained irrational beliefs that many of these people have.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

OP, maybe she'd feel better if she knew that Obama thought of her child's death as a bump in the road instead.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Agree. However he should have been careful chosing his words
He was definitely cautious during the debates (well...atleast the 2nd one
as he was quiet during the 1st one). Everything him or his opponent say would be redigressed until the elections are over

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

Its a Euphemism used in the Political world
Thats what makes it controversial.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by hp1229

OP, maybe she'd feel better if she knew that Obama thought of her child's death as a bump in the road instead.
He probably did think of it as such in his mind.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by hp1229
reply to post by Screwed

Its a Euphemism used in the Political world
Thats what makes it controversial.

Please explain.
I have no clue as to how this could be taken in any other way than the way in which it was presented.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Maybe she should start listening to what he said. He said the deaths were NOT optimal.

We know what he said, the fact that he used such a light word when describing Americans' deaths is where he went wrong. Saying something is not perfect, doesn't at the same time also mean that it's bad. It could also mean it's neutral. That's why the word choice was not correct.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
I wonder if these people know what Optimal even means?
'Shooting Blanks' vs 'Impotent' both mean the same thing where the euphemism is used
Otherwise yes the word Optimal means something but means different in the world of politics.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Man, some of you are the reason Fox, CNN, and All Star Wrestling are thriving.
You let them manipulate your emotions and make you leave your critical thinking brains on the floor.
They have no respect for you.
Obama said nothing wrong.........and this is from a Ron Paul write in voter....and I won't cry if Romney wins he is better for me but worse for America, no doubt about it.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Why does everyone expect perfection from others...

while accepting the way things are?

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Dear buster2010,

I agree with what you have to say here. (I'll pause a moment to allow you to recover from your faint.) He did say the deaths were not optimal. But, that's not the objection people are raising.

The objection is to the word "optimal." It is a cold understatement which many are taking as cruel and heartless. How about if he had said the deaths were a "tremendous tragedy," or "horrific loss?"

Obama is saying, "Well, the deaths of Americans aren't the best possible outcome." And the mother responds with "No s---, Sherlock. We're talking about my child's death here. Is that the best you can do? Brush it off like that? What kind of a monster are you?"

With respect,
Charles1952

edit on 19-10-2012 by charles1952 because: Delete excess

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

See the explanation right below your post (not my response).
edit on 19-10-2012 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join